Spain...destroying themselves from the inside

There is a whole lot of sensationalism going around. The Generalitat in Catalonia claims there were almost 900 wounded people yet official numbers from the Catalonian health services show only four people have been hospitalized.

A woman who was pulled by her hand was giving interviews claiming they broke all of her fingers this Sunday. In one of her statements she said the police broke her fingers one by one and touched her boobs. 

However as it's been pointed out images show she was indeed pulled from the right hand with no sexual fondling, yet she emerged with her left hand in a cast instead, Gaga style. She was also seen in public comfortably handling her mobile with both hands afterwards.

So after her testimony of a brutal attack coupled with sexual harassment that left her with a broken hand made the rounds she changed her version to having a swollen finger on TV. Still with the wrong hand in a cast btw.

No one is excusing police violence, most people arr against it but it's been certainly been blown out of proportion when official numbers from Catalonia show only 4 people had to be hospitalized and one of them was an older man who had a heart attack.

Loving the scenes of huge crowds of Catalans on the telly. Democracy in action despite the fascist state and the propaganda machine in overdrive trying desperately to do damage control .. .. too late, we all saw it.

Also love the embarrassing silence from Madrid and Brussels.

Just now, karbatal said:

El problema es que creo que muchos nos sentimos incómodos en España :lol: Siempre he pensado que somos como Yugoslavia y unidos a la fuerza. 

A lot of people are in your situation. Because of ETA, I coudn´t even imagine it, but now... everything is coming out

Just now, Kim said:

Loving the scenes of huge crowds of Catalans on the telly. Democracy in action despite the fascist state and the propaganda machine in overdrive trying desperately to do damage control .. .. too late, we all saw it.

Also love the embarrassing silence from Madrid and Brussels.

madrid had another march in favour of catalonia´s rights. And the police did what the government told them to do...and yes, I also love the catalonians being together on this, especially when they show images of pro independence people and pro spain people together against this situation!:inlove:

11 minutes ago, promise to try said:

madrid had another march in favour of catalonia´s rights. And the police did what the government told them to do...and yes, I also love the catalonians being together on this, especially when they show images of pro independence people and pro spain people together against this situation!:inlove:

If only this meant all people united expelling the horrible Rajoy government.  Can you imagine???? 

By the way, the USELESS king of ours will finally speak after all these days.  Let's see the generic crap that he will give. 

Just now, karbatal said:

As this thread is a rare opportunity to speak about things that normally aren't mentioned, even though maybe nobody cares I will explain a bit more about Spain and the fact that we are a little Yugoslavia since 500 years. 

Nowadays we are a bit like Yugoslavia. United but very different one another. But, thanks to democracy, since 1978  we all can speak the language we want, we can make laws in our regions, we can control our finances in health or education... We have enough space to be satisfied. Until now.  

Karbi! you make me write and read a lot!!!

1. Spain is the mix of several kingdoms: Castilla, Aragon and Navarra. But Castilla before had swallowed other kingdoms from the north and northwest. That's why in Galicia (far nortwest) they have their own language, very simmilar to Portugese.

actually, portuguese is similar to galician: remember that the the reconquering of the peninsula was from the north to the south. and remember also that a lot of PP peopl talk about these languages as dialects of the spanish, as a negative thing .

2. Spain nowadays have 17 autonomies. With 17 parliaments. Each parliament ruling, deciding themselves about education, health, even security matters (Catalonia, Basque Country and Navarra have their own Police. In Aragón we could too, but it was too expensive and we have just some kind of little department) 

again, yes, but no.remember: the regional constitutions , well, at least the basque one, hasn´t been completed. 40 years on, and the spanish government, with both PP or PSOE, don´t respect the regional law.Also, this law lets us do things, they are not considered our rights.They lets us do, and if they are not happy with as, there is the now famous article 155 that stops the autonomy.by the way, we always think that the regional president/government are our representatives, but legally they are the substitute of the king when he is not in that region. olé.that´s what 1978´s constitution says.The spanish government lets you do things, if we are ok with it.And you have a president which is only the substitute of the king whenh he is not there.

3. We have different languages too: Castellanish (Spanish), Catalan, Valencian (very simmilar to CAtalan), Aragonese, Basquish, Galleguish... Why, you may ask? Because after the fall of the Roman empire and the Visigoths ruling here and there, the Arabs conquered us for 700 years. They were incredibly good and beautiful Arabs, which created all kind of structures to bring water to dry zones, and who were academics giving to the world all kind of discoverings in Medicine, Astronomie... We still have their castles, many words in Spanish come from them and their hidraulic infraestructures are still in use. Even so many centuries afterwards. 

we can start talking about spani only after the bourbons start reigning here. Before, we only had a grroup of kingdoms that had different laws, rights, borders...the kingdoms were more interested in creating catholics than creating one big kingdom. until the bourbons appeared.

4-No matter how many centuries, we always felt different. ALWAYS. and Castillia, the kingdom that finally won everything, had something really negative: whenever a territory was controlled, all traditions were very soon erased. This is Spain now and that's why many territories feel hurt, bad or want to be out.

againm there were more interested in a religious unity than any other thing.BUt I guess this is not very different from other kingdoms in europe.

5-During the XIX century, other countries in Europe went through the same process. Germany and Italy went through a unification. But the difference between Germany/ Italy and Spain is that they had a common enemy in First World War and Second World War. Psichologically, if a folk is attack by a enemy, they feel united. The brand new Germany and the brand new Italy very soon created a national identity. Spain, however, was immerse in a Civil War in the XIX Century, didn't take part in IWW or IWW and suffered another Civil War in the XX Century. No enemy from the outside. Always from the inside. Then 40 years of dictature were a stupid fascist wanted to create a Spanish Race identity and tried to erase other identities. We all suffered. Sometimes Basquish or Catalanish feel as if they were the only ones suffering, but many territoires had their traditions forbidden and erased.

During the 19th century spain had two civil wars.at least in the basque country, were really important, and the beginning of the anti spain feeling (carlists wars).My family is the typical example. My granmother´s grandfather fought with the carlists, and after that all the separatist ideology appeared in my family.And, even tough is difficult to believe it, until 1876 Navarre´s legal situation was the same than a colony!!! there were inside borders only until a few generations ago!

6-Nowadays we are a bit like Yugoslavia. United but very different one another. But, thanks to democracy, since 1978  we all can speak the language we want, we can make laws in our regions, we can control our finances in health or education... We have enough space to be satisfied. Until now. 

Again, we have not the right to do it. The spanish government lets us do it.and This last PP government has been trying to recover a lot of the powers that they had let us use during this last decades

7-I´m starting to be scared.

2 minutes ago, promise to try said:

Karbi! you make me write and read a lot!!!

1. Spain is the mix of several kingdoms: Castilla, Aragon and Navarra. But Castilla before had swallowed other kingdoms from the north and northwest. That's why in Galicia (far nortwest) they have their own language, very simmilar to Portugese.

actually, portuguese is similar to galician: remember that the the reconquering of the peninsula was from the north to the south. and remember also that a lot of PP peopl talk about these languages as dialects of the spanish, as a negative thing .

2. Spain nowadays have 17 autonomies. With 17 parliaments. Each parliament ruling, deciding themselves about education, health, even security matters (Catalonia, Basque Country and Navarra have their own Police. In Aragón we could too, but it was too expensive and we have just some kind of little department) 

again, yes, but no.remember: the regional constitutions , well, at least the basque one, hasn´t been completed. 40 years on, and the spanish government, with both PP or PSOE, don´t respect the regional law.Also, this law lets us do things, they are not considered our rights.They lets us do, and if they are not happy with as, there is the now famous article 155 that stops the autonomy.by the way, we always think that the regional president/government are our representatives, but legally they are the substitute of the king when he is not in that region. olé.that´s what 1978´s constitution says.The spanish government lets you do things, if we are ok with it.And you have a president which is only the substitute of the king whenh he is not there.

3. We have different languages too: Castellanish (Spanish), Catalan, Valencian (very simmilar to CAtalan), Aragonese, Basquish, Galleguish... Why, you may ask? Because after the fall of the Roman empire and the Visigoths ruling here and there, the Arabs conquered us for 700 years. They were incredibly good and beautiful Arabs, which created all kind of structures to bring water to dry zones, and who were academics giving to the world all kind of discoverings in Medicine, Astronomie... We still have their castles, many words in Spanish come from them and their hidraulic infraestructures are still in use. Even so many centuries afterwards. 

we can start talking about spani only after the bourbons start reigning here. Before, we only had a grroup of kingdoms that had different laws, rights, borders...the kingdoms were more interested in creating catholics than creating one big kingdom. until the bourbons appeared.

4-No matter how many centuries, we always felt different. ALWAYS. and Castillia, the kingdom that finally won everything, had something really negative: whenever a territory was controlled, all traditions were very soon erased. This is Spain now and that's why many territories feel hurt, bad or want to be out.

againm there were more interested in a religious unity than any other thing.BUt I guess this is not very different from other kingdoms in europe.

5-During the XIX century, other countries in Europe went through the same process. Germany and Italy went through a unification. But the difference between Germany/ Italy and Spain is that they had a common enemy in First World War and Second World War. Psichologically, if a folk is attack by a enemy, they feel united. The brand new Germany and the brand new Italy very soon created a national identity. Spain, however, was immerse in a Civil War in the XIX Century, didn't take part in IWW or IWW and suffered another Civil War in the XX Century. No enemy from the outside. Always from the inside. Then 40 years of dictature were a stupid fascist wanted to create a Spanish Race identity and tried to erase other identities. We all suffered. Sometimes Basquish or Catalanish feel as if they were the only ones suffering, but many territoires had their traditions forbidden and erased.

During the 19th century spain had two civil wars.at least in the basque country, were really important, and the beginning of the anti spain feeling (carlists wars).My family is the typical example. My granmother´s grandfather fought with the carlists, and after that all the separatist ideology appeared in my family.And, even tough is difficult to believe it, until 1876 Navarre´s legal situation was the same than a colony!!! there were inside borders only until a few generations ago!

6-Nowadays we are a bit like Yugoslavia. United but very different one another. But, thanks to democracy, since 1978  we all can speak the language we want, we can make laws in our regions, we can control our finances in health or education... We have enough space to be satisfied. Until now. 

Again, we have not the right to do it. The spanish government lets us do it.and This last PP government has been trying to recover a lot of the powers that they had let us use during this last decades

7-I´m starting to be scared.

Don't be.  The European Union will help us....  

:lmao:

Omg I just laughed so much. I was speaking with my boy about the king giving a speech tonight and he asked "what do you think he will say?"  and I said "He will avoid Catalonia. This is to announce Kylie's new album"  

39 minutes ago, karbatal said:

Omg I just laughed so much. I was speaking with my boy about the king giving a speech tonight and he asked "what do you think he will say?"  and I said "He will avoid Catalonia. This is to announce Kylie's new album"  

Omg :rotfl:Is he really that useless? By the way, Spain has a great history and its a history proving that you have, you can and hopefully you will continue to live in unity.

Just now, karbatal said:

Blond ambition´s DVD!!!!!!

Just now, elijah said:

Omg :rotfl:Is he really that useless? By the way, Spain has a great history and its a history proving that you have, you can and hopefully you will continue to live in unity.

the king will talk about the unity of the nation, about the respect to the constitution, and about the wonderful police we have.and hopefully about a duet with sinitta!

43 minutes ago, karbatal said:

Don't be.  The European Union will help us....  

Oh I so want you NOT to be kidding and to be right... And Catalonia is "internal question" as if Spain is not part of EU... They should be chairing the negotiations...

1 minute ago, promise to try said:

the king will talk about the unity of the nation, about the respect to the constitution, and about the wonderful police we have.and hopefully about a duet with sinitta!

blah blah blah but SINITTA :)

31 minutes ago, promise to try said:

You are clairvoyant :wow:

That was exactly what the king said.  Sadly,  no mention of Sinitta or Kylie :-(

34 minutes ago, elijah said:

Oh I so want you NOT to be kidding and to be right... And Catalonia is "internal question" as if Spain is not part of EU... They should be chairing the negotiations...

Tomorrow the European Parliament will speak of Catalonia.  Let's see if they say something new.  This new situation after Sunday has changed the view of the problem in many European countries.  

It was really interesting watching yesterday the European Parliament speaking about Catalonia.  Our politicians here are so useless and full of shit (on both sides)  that it was refreshing.  I particularly enjoyed Guy Verhofsrad (or whatever the name :lmao:

And I LOVED the woman from The Green who was the only one to give some scalding tea to both parts. 

The embarrassing part were the anti EU parties,  literally LYING. And the man from the Ukip said Spain was a shame and fascist and then I looked him up and he's the man who got a punch from another Ukip politician and left unconscious in the Parliament months ago :rotfl:

The sad part of it all is that the Commission still considers this a problem only concerning Spain.  But I think it's not.  If so many people want independence and the Catalanish government wants to declare that unilaterally and it creates havoc in a EU country that is a social and economic problem that affects the whole union!  

I was too busy watching Theresa May dying on her arse and destroying the remnants of her political career yesterday to pay much attention to this, but surely it's time for beloved Catalonia to declare UDI and then ineffectual pathetic mouthpiece EU will HAVE to get involved (if only to do nothing as per) 

11 minutes ago, Kim said:

I was too busy watching Theresa May dying on her arse and destroying the remnants of her political career yesterday to pay much attention to this, but surely it's time for beloved Catalonia to declare UDI and then ineffectual pathetic mouthpiece EU will HAVE to get involved (if only to do nothing as per) 

Well,  to be fair the UK would benefit a lot from an independent Catalonia. They can reach agreements once the UK is no part of the EU and British people can finally have the perfect Mediterranean coast where they can get drunk, make bachelor parties and buy a second residence after retirement.  

And everyone will be happy 😊 

1 hour ago, Kim said:

I was too busy watching Theresa May dying on her arse and destroying the remnants of her political career yesterday 

It was in my local newspaper this morning. Poor Theresa. Not sure she realised it would be such a hard path. Mess! :rotfl: