Phyllis Schlafly, Matriarch Of The "Family Values" Movement, Dead At 92

Camacho

Phyllis Schlafly, Matriarch Of The Family Values Movement, Dead At 92

800px-Phyllis_Schlafly_by_Gage_Skidmore-

An opponent of same-sex marriage, women's rights, immigration reform and reproductive freedom, Schlafly was beloved by right-wing conservatives.

Archconservative Phyllis Schlafly, founder of the Eagle Forum, has died of undisclosed causes in her home in St. Louis. She was 92.

Boasting some 80,000 members, the Eagle Forum is a right-wing think tank created "to enable conservative and pro-family men and women to participate in the process of self-government and public-policy-making."

It was started by Schlafly in 1972 to combat the emerging women's movement and the Equal Rights Amendment. (According to her, the passage of the ERA meant "government-funded abortions, homosexual schoolteachers, women forced into combat and men refusing to support their wives.")

She called the Forum "the alternative to women's lib," and told American women they should focus on being "full-time homemakers."

As social progress occurred, Schlafly extended her platform to oppose same-sex marriage.

"Attacks on the definition of marriage as the union of one man and one woman come from the gay lobby seeking social recognition of their lifestyle," she once claimed.

"Nobodys stopping them from shacking up. The problem is that they are trying to make us respect them, and that's an interference with what we believe."

She was disappointed that "the Republican Party, the conservative movement, even the Democratic Party and the churches" hadnt done more to stop the freedom to marry.

"The gays have their argument about inevitability," she told Michelangelo Signorile three months before Obergefell v. Hodges brought marriage equality to all 50 states. "I dont think that's so."

In 1992, her son John confirmed he was gay, after it had been reported in the gay press. (Phyllis called articles about his sexuality "a deliberate strike at me.") He worked for his mother and insisted "the family-values movement is not anti-gay."

"These people are not anti-gay. Theyre not gay bashers," he told the L.A. Times at the time. "The concept of family values should not be threatening to gays and lesbians."

An advocate of English-only education, Phyllis Schlafly was an avowed Trump supporter at the end of her life: She recently declared that Louisiana flood victims who didn't speak English shouldn't receive government aid.

"People from every country can and do learn English, and there is no good reason for our government to conduct official business in any other language."

In July, she attended the Republican National Convention in Cleveland.

"Phyllis Schlafly spent an astounding 70 years in public service of her fellow Americans," said the Eagle Forum in a statement.

"From military superiority and defense to immigration and trade; from unborn life to the nuclear family and parenthood, Phyllis Schlafly was a courageous and articulate voice for common sense and traditional values."

:scared:

"When you get married you have consented to sex. That's what marriage is all about, I don't know if maybe these girls missed sex ed. That doesn't mean the husband can beat you up, we have plenty of laws against assault and battery. When it gets down to calling it rape though, it isn't rape." - Phyllis Schlafly, declaring that it's impossible for men to rape their wives.

Unfortunately, my Grandmother shares a lot of the same beliefs.

And I don't think that merits us celebrating her death or wishing that she goes to hell.

People at this forum call ME irrational and then celebrate the death of someone and say nasty things. She was from another fucked up and conservative time, she lived her life and people like her are a thing of the past. Whatever.

I read yesterday she said women should stay home and not have nannies raise their children while she traveled all around and had nannies raise her children. Dumb broad.

As vile, evil, self loathing, women hating, homophobic waste of human flesh as Coulter, Anita Bryant, Michelle Bachman etc...Her and Scalia no doubt are both getting a good fist fucking by Satan about now. Satan was just patiently keeping his other hand 'handy' for an extra 7 months lol.

And I don't think that merits us celebrating her death or wishing that she goes to hell.

People at this forum call ME irrational and then celebrate the death of someone and say nasty things. She was from another fucked up and conservative time, she lived her life and people like her are a thing of the past. Whatever.

Of course not. Love my Grandmother and she loves me , even if we don't always see eye to eye. I'm sure she sees some of my beliefs as unfortunate. In fact I know she does , and that's ok. It is a generational thing.

As much as people like this are dying off, they've also raised their children, and their children's children, to think this way. They may not have quite the power they had, but there's still plenty of prideful, willful ignorance in this world. The effect of this kind of thinking on younger generations, and their particular 'version' of it, is still damaging.

As for the idea that 'you have to respect the dead'....no. Respect is earned. I wouldn't piss on her grave, but considering the legacy she leaves and the effect it has had on god knows how many individuals and families, let alone parts of society...you get little respect from me.

You may think people with her views are dying off, but demographic trends show that religious fundamentalists are out breeding the so-called moderate believers and of course secularists. They are still the minority but in a few generations hardline conservative beliefs will have a resurgence in the West, aided by the mass immigration programs many countries have. Big minority groups have an impact in democratic systems - they can tip marginal seats and are courted and appeased. It was interesting to see which politicians were for and against equal marriage here based on the demographics of their electorate.

• 2 weeks later...

I truly believe she had psychological problems. 

She probably never had an orgasm in her life as well. 

One of her many nonsensical quotes:  Sex education classes are like in-home sales parties for abortions.

She had problems.