Driving through Detroit at night

Guest Pud Whacker

Why do you laugh it's the #1 question out of towners ask and we got ALOT here this weekend due to the Woodward Dream Cruise.

Respect 8 Mile bitch lol

It's such a tourist question. Funny.

Honestly though, what the hell is the point of this video and this thread?

Detroit was DEVASTATED and its inhabitants left to fend for themselves thanks to U.S. corporate greed and insatiable desire to increase profits.

Americans have no idea what's happening in their own damn country. Too busy judging the rest of the world. That's why elections are always a damn joke.

I saw a house for sale for 1,000 dollars! We should buy it and make it the MNation Head Office.

You can be Head of Off Topic

I can very easily manage the "Forum sugestions". I can answer a post every 15 days and the rest of the time i can play jump rope around the abandoned buildings

BUY BUY BUY. What's the worst that could happen? You lose the 100 dollars you spent? :lmao:

Not quite that simple. Even if you could find a house for $100 it would basically just be a wall standing. It's the land you're paying for, so nothing is listed for a hundred. You can get "a whole house" for $3000 which the lowest I've seen but then you got back city taxes the owner (a white owner, typically, renting while waiting for a revival then a big profit) neglected for 20 years and that's about $40,000 and Detroit won't let it slide even if it means bringing an area back (not that I blame them, no city lets taxes slide. What's owed is owed). My cousin just bought one .. it's gorgeous... but even after all the taxes were paid off they still had to sink $150,000 just to get it livable. Most of the abandoned homes are completely stripped of wiring, plumbing and have extreme water damage.

We have Thanksgiving there now. It's nice.

ive wanted to buy there so badly!!!

everyones always talking me out of it!!!

See above for why I think buying in Detroit is not a sweet of deal as many think. I mean it's not a BAD investment, but it's far from a steal imo. The people living there now resent being priced out of their homes and the affordable grocery stores being torn down for fancy overpriced Whole Foods, whose prices are higher than the one's in the suburbs. My cousin's had his car stolen 5x since he moved there. He finally said fuck it and takes a bike to work... in a land of all freeways and gets crazy cold in the winter. Oh well, this is the same one who's ridiculously overweight so this should slim him down.

Yeah, Sloane. What happens if we buy a house for only 1.000 dollars and then we go living there?

Make sure it's in the gentrified area or nicer areas that have been there all along, which absolutely do exist, otherwise you're gonna die.

If the house is only a 1,000 dollars, you're gonna die.

Just open a 5* hotel with pool and you'll be ok

Aaaaand you'll be out of business a week later because no one can afford it. The building will be completely stripped, a dead body in the pool, probably with a dog or two. Have a nice day.

I'm just joking, it's Detroit humor. There are fantastic hotels renovated downtown. The architecture in Detroit is breathtaking.

I do love this city and the people in it. If outsiders talk shit about it.. and they do!... I defend it with every fiber of my being. My grandma always said that Detroit was a little big city and it absolutely is. Everybody knows their way around here. When I moved to Indianapolis a few years ago people didn't even know their own roads. You'd ask directions and they wouldn't have a clue. In Detroit we have 5 or 6 different names for many roads (it is, was, Motor City after all) and everybody knows each and every one of them, where they start and where they end. You just have to respect the dynamics of the area .. one of the most segregated in America..shit and we have Dearborn too, right smack in the middle, America's largest Muslim population. We get by with humor and healthy respect of knowing when and where you can't go and at what time. African Americans and Muslims I'M SURE it's the exact same thing. Drive north of 8 Mile at 3am with a headlight out, you're getting pulled over. Many work in the suburbs and a lot of whites are downright snobby, nasty and stupid. Me, south of 8 Mile at 3am walking around, I'm getting robbed at the very least. I'm not saying it's right but that's the here and now and what keeps you alive. Humor helps, on BOTH sides of the racial divide, so sorry if it offends anyone.

Seriously, there is so many gems. There is something terribly beautiful and sad at the same time when you watch them.

Many blocks have just one lone house left standing on them, like that first one in the picture. Some blocks, several in a row, are complete ghost towns. It's surreal and a damn near work of art sometimes. But, yes, it's sad.

OMG! Those buildings! Sloane, let's make a MNation neighbourhood there!

Definitely not a ghost city. Slightly off downtown we got a whole area called Eastern Market, best farmer's market I've ever been to.

As far as making use of the abandoned buildings, many have thought of that. The most famous example is the Michigan Train Station. IT. IS. A. METROPOLIS. So beautiful, even as it stands today, deplorable condition as it is. Years ago people had the idea of holding a rave there but the floors are in such bad shape it was determined the bass from the speakers would collapse the whole building onto everyone lol there's like 20 floors so nope.

There's security out front now, so many people were coming to look at it.

michigan_central_station.jpg

-5aec2ceddfd294ef.JPGmcentral_1_.jpgjoebraun_mcs0202.jpg

Respect to the Michigan Central Station. As it was then. As it is now.

Detroid needs an epic film shot there

We've had plenty of films shot here, don't get it twisted. Maybe not "epic," but we ain't no stranger to Hollywood types. They all wanna come to tha D!

Less than a mile from me they filmed at a vintage parkway motel a few years ago but it's usually in Detroit they go.

Do you know we have the first freeway ever built in the United States?? It's called The Davison. Respect to the Davison (These hoes know lol).

My great grandfather is buried right next to it and they have one of the last vinyl record pressing plants there. Archer's. All of the Detroit Techno was pressed there: Derrick May, Juan Atkins, etc

I would love to Sloane. im a Midwestern boy in a bustier, at heart!!!

We could celebrate our birthdays together!!!!

Anytime Pud except this year I'll be home watching the debates! lol We'd have so much fun, I'll show you around. I will buy you Coney Island hotdogs and Popeyes and Michigan deep dish pizza! I will show you around all the theaters downtown, anywhere you wanna go. I will take you to Ferndale where you can wear bustier and we get coffee :queenbitch:

ps.. Bring Mr. Perfect!

We've had plenty of films shot here, don't get it twisted. Maybe not "epic," but we ain't no stranger to Hollywood types. They all wanna come to tha D!

Less than a mile from me they filmed at a vintage parkway motel a few years ago but it's usually in Detroit they go.

Do you know we have the first freeway ever built in the United States?? It's called The Davison. Respect to the Davison (These hoes know lol).

My great grandfather is buried right next to it and they have one of the last vinyl record pressing plants there. Archer's. All of the Detroit Techno was pressed there: Derrick May, Juan Atkins, etc

I meant those abandoned locations you guys posted look epic. Amazing visuals, thats why i think a good film shot there can helt the revival of the city.

Instead of filming british monarch and aristocrats , M should do that as her next movie

I meant those abandoned locations you guys posted look epic. Amazing visuals, thats why i think a good film shot there can helt the revival of the city.

Instead of filming british monarch and aristocrats , M should do that as her next movie

They have shot a movie at the train station it's just that nobody bothers to find out what movie. I don't even know the name of the one they shot by my house. You gotta remember though, these buildings are not structurally sound. Literally the noise from a film crew could cave them in. This has been assessed. There have been many efforts to make use of the train station, for example. They wanted to use it for the Detroit Police Department Headquarters but it cannot be saved :(

A lot of the buildings posted earlier, like theaters and stuff, have already been renovated or are being renovated right now as we speak. There is tremendous construction in Detroit the likes I have never seen before.