Cannes bans burkinis over suspected link to radical Islamism

jacket

:lmao:

So Nigella should be allowed but Muslim women shouldn't?

Whatever the reasoning this is a dumb idea.

I'm just pointing out how Nigella wears it for practical reasons and the real threat of skin cancer. While muslim women wear it because of patriarchy and superstition backed up by the threat of violence.

When i see someone wearing a beekeeper suit, I see oppression not a statement of individual choice.

I'm just pointing out how Nigella wears it for practical reasons and the real threat of skin cancer. While muslim women wear it because of patriarchy and superstition backed up by the threat of violence.

When i see someone wearing a beekeeper suit, I see oppression not a statement of individual choice.

A beekeeper suit is for protection against bee stings, nothing to do with oppression??? :)

If you got a wasp stuck inside your Hijab that would be a nightmare.

Same as a wasp being stuck in your trousers, you can take off a hijab very easily and doesn't cover your face.

I must be the biggest slut cause as a Muslim woman I haven't worn a burkini ever or a hijab ever.

But i know some that do and they choose to wear one and happy too.

I don't know why someone's clothing should bother you if it does not affect you personally. I don't judge a nun, priest, whatever other covered up clothing there is out there, it's their choice.

We live in scary times and I applaud a Muslim girl who covers up, imagine the looks and abuse she might receive, she is brave.

Guest Rachelle of London

I must be the biggest slut cause as a Muslim woman I haven't worn a burkini ever or a hijab ever.

I don't know why someone's clothing should bother you if it does not affect you personally. I don't judge a nun, priest, whatever other covered up clothing there is out there, it's their choice.

We live in scary times and I applaud a Muslim girl who covers up, imagine the looks and abuse she might receive.

:clap:

The most heartbreaking thing I have ever witnessed was after 7/7 attacks I was standing behind an older Muslim lady and her daughter (think it was her daughter) and you can see the globs of dried spit all over their burqa. It really affected me. I was on my way to school and had to sit the first class out because I couldn't stop crying. So when I see girls in burqas I always think they're very brave.

You should know that whole Riviera (Cannes, Nice etc...) is very very racist. Most mayors are from the right wing leaning on the far right (Estrosi, Ciotti, Luca...) even the mayor of Marseille (Second biggest city in France with one the biggest community from north Africa) is a racist asshole ( he made a fuss when Madonna refused to meet him at the hospital where guys who built up her stage in Marseille when it collapsed on them were hospitalized. She said it was a private visit then he trashed her in the press). Even Estrosi mayor of Nie (close friend of Bono and Elton John...he was having dinener with Bono and his wife Alison when the terrorist attack happenned in july) makes terrible anti muslims statements regularly (he's close to Sarkozy). People living on the Riviera are very racist and have no qualms about it. They almost elected Marion Marechal Le Pen (the niece) last december and the National Front Party always scores high during elections. Those mayors regularly say awful things int he press and on Twitter.

Thing is these right wingers leaning on the far right are almost all second generation migrants from Italy (Estrosi, Ciotti, Luca...).

:clap:

The most heartbreaking thing I have ever witnessed was after 7/7 attacks I was standing behind an older Muslim lady and her daughter (think it was her daughter) and you can see the globs of dried spit all over their burqa. It really affected me. I was on my way to school and had to sit the first class out because I couldn't stop crying. So when I see girls in burqas I always think they're very brave.

Yes and I'm sure this abuse still happens everyday sadly.

Just last night in Corsica there was a huge fight between nationalists and young french arabs

It started after women bathing in burkinis were being photographed

http://www.sudouest.fr/2016/08/14/tensions-en-corse-apres-une-violente-rixe-entre-communautes-corse-et-maghrebine-2467205-7.php

Just last night in Corsica there was a huge fight between nationalists and young french arabs

It started after women bathing in burkinis were being photographed

http://www.sudouest.fr/2016/08/14/tensions-en-corse-apres-une-violente-rixe-entre-communautes-corse-et-maghrebine-2467205-7.php

So no more egalite fraternite liberte in France ? :(

Roland Barthes, Islam is not a race And hijab/niqab has nothing to do with Islam. Its A culture from Saudi Arabia, it started to spread in early 70's when they discovered oil and muslims from arab countries traveled there to work and they returned with this culture.

Roland Barthes, Islam is not a race And hijab/niqab has nothing to do with Islam. Its A culture from Saudi Arabia, it started to spread in early 70's when they discovered oil and muslims from arab countries traveled there to work and they returned with this culture.

I know but the problem these people in France have with the hijab, burkinis etc.... comes from the feeling of being invaded (their words)...they use this rhetoric and the theory of "le grand remplacement" (to replace french culture and identity with thier culture).The Le Pen are using this theory, the right party is using it too.

Sociologists who investigated these movements and reactions came to the conclusion that it's the visibility that drives the right and far right wing mad. They think that it's a conspiracy from sheikdoms to make "Islam" and arabs more visible in french society....at the same time these very politicians making these remarks on tv, press and on Twitter go to Saudi Arabia to get money (Sarkozy was there just last week...just like he got money from Gaddafi for his last campaign and killed him right after)...

The same sociologists came also to the conclusion that it was because these hijabs were worn in the suburbs and what are perceived as dangerous zones (because of criminality) that they don't like it, to them it represents poors and minorities not staying in "their place" and yes they linked it to racism, not only racism because they are of arab descent but also social racism because they come from difficult suburbs.

So no more egalite fraternite liberte in France ? :(

If it truly existed we wouldn't be in the mess we're in. Remember also the millions of right wingers marching in cities around France to protest against gay marriage. Where else did this happenned ?

They are marching again in october to protest in vitro conception for gay & lesbian couples and to have gay marriage bill revoked.

It's kind of strange and extremely misogynistic.

We live in scary times and I applaud a Muslim girl who covers up, imagine the looks and abuse she might receive, she is brave.

Many muslim women don't have your choice to dress as you please. You're hardly the norm.

Women living in Aceh, Saudi Arabi and Gaza would get beat by roaming hordes of men upholding so-called morality if they didn't cover up. Hardly a choice for them.

Did the women in Iran, Egypt, etc in the late 70s all decide en mass to start covering up because they preferred to be hot and bothered? No, because the Islamists either took control or won the culture wars in those countries and forced them too.

I don't know how you can spin all that into a symbol of female empowerment and liberal agency.

But yet some Muslim women wear them in western countries, it's their choice not yours.

I personally don't like them but I hear what you're saying, I'm no fan of them. I'm just saying I know Muslim women who wear burkha, hijab etc are happy too and not forced too.

But yet some Muslim women wear them in western countries, it's their choice not yours.

I personally don't like them but I hear what you're saying, I'm no fan of them. I'm just saying I know Muslim women who wear burkha, hijab etc are happy too and not forced too.

Just because you're in a western country doesn't mean that you're not involved with a misogynistic culture. There are subcultures hidden within society and sometimes they are very nasty and antisocial.

It's very difficult that debate about the muslim dress. You never know if the girl is really free to wear it. It amazes me though how society only looks at the surface. Lots of countries still have a clear misogynistic thought but being Christian nobody minds.

It's very difficult that debate about the muslim dress. You never know if the girl is really free to wear it. It amazes me though how society only looks at the surface. Lots of countries still have a clear misogynistic thought but being Christian nobody minds.

Europe has Christian roots so of course Christianity doesn't bother Europeans :)

I hate the fact that the Muslims are the first to scream for tolerance for them, but they are so intolerant towards gays, women etc. I don't wanna think what will happen if they become majority one day: hell for women, children etc. Thats the sad reality. And a lot of the muslim women are ok with that treatment...

Europe has Christian roots so of course Christianity doesn't bother Europeans :)

I don't mean that Christianity bothering, but the ill treatment of women bothering. As long as they dressed the Western way, everything seems to be ok.

I hate the fact that the Muslims are the first to scream for tolerance for them, but they are so intolerant towards gays, women etc. I don't wanna think what will happen if they become majority one day: hell for women, children etc. Thats the sad reality. And a lot of the muslim women are ok with that treatment...

I don't think they are okay. I think they are suppressed and controlled.

Oh really? I don't see anybody being concerned about the women situation in Christian religion, especially Catholic, where the men think they have the right to decide on women's body. Hello, abortion. Hello, women being inferior to men.

We're talking about Islam because the thread is about a news article about Islam. Just because people express a view on this, doesn't mean they don't think women are oppressed in other religions and that they don't care.