Cannes bans burkinis over suspected link to radical Islamism

jacket

The mayor of Cannes in southern France has banned full-body swimsuits known as "burkinis" from the beach, citing public order concerns.

David Lisnard said they are a "symbol of Islamic extremism" and might spark scuffles, as France is the target of Islamist attacks.

France is on high alert following a series of incidents including July's truck attackin nearby Nice.

Anyone caught flouting the new rule could face a fine of €38 (£33).

They will first be asked to change into another swimming costume or leave the beach.

Nobody has been apprehended for wearing a burkini in Cannes since the edict came into force at the end of July.

What do Muslim women think of the ban?

This is not the first time that women's clothing has been restricted in France. In 2011 it became the first country in Europe to ban the full-face Islamic veil, known as the burka, as well as the partial face covering, the niqab.

Earlier this week a private waterpark near Marseille cancelled a burkini-only dayafter being subjected to criticism.

Image copyrightGETTY IMAGESImage captionThe authorities will need to distinguish between swimmers in burkinis and wetsuits The ruling

"Access to beaches and for swimming is banned to any person wearing improper clothes that are not respectful of good morals and secularism.

"Beachwear which ostentatiously displays religious affiliation, when France and places of worship are currently the target of terrorist attacks, is liable to create risks of disrupting public order."

The reaction in the French press

The French media has questioned the legality of the ban. Le Monde points outthat no French law bans the wearing of full-body swimsuits. "The law on the full-face veil only bans covering the face in public... The burkini, which covers the body but does not hide the face, is thus a totally legal garment."

France TV Info's legal blog, Judge Marie, says the risk of disturbing public order, invoked by the Cannes mayor, seems rather tenuous. "The basic freedom to come and go dressed as you please seems to me to be infringed in a way that is disproportionate to this risk," the blog says.

Meanwhile, a commentary in left-of-centre paper Liberation accuses the Cannes mayor of trying to score a political point: "David Lisnard… is not responding to a specific issue, but is sending a radical message to his constituents, to his electorate."

BBC Monitoring

Mr Lisnard confirmed to local media that other religious symbols such as the kippah (Jewish skullcap) and the cross would still be permitted, and the ban would not apply to the veil that some Muslim women wear over their hair.

He said: "I simply forbid a uniform that is the symbol of Islamic extremism.

"We live in a common public space, there are rules to follow. "

The League of Human Rights (LDH) said it would challenge the ban in court.

"It is time for politicians in this region to calm their discriminatory ardour and defend the spirit of the Republic," local LDH leader Herve Lavisse said.

The Collective Against Islamophobia in France (CCIF) is also expected to mount a legal challenge against the decision. Its lawyer Sefen Guez Guez called the ban "illegal, discriminatory and unconstitutional".

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37056742?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

Guest Rachelle of London

Yes because that's going to prevent terrorist attacks :rolleyes:

Good to see the French remain as clueless as ever about how to tackle extremism in their country and are as always fixated on superficiality.

Exactly.

Yes because that's going to prevent terrorist attacks :rolleyes:

Good to see the French remain as clueless as ever about how to tackle extremism in their country and are as always fixated on superficiality.

Thank you!

Is it because they dont want hate directed at the burkini wearer? I'm mean they are identifying as a Muslim by wearing one. There might be trying to prevent reprise attacks on women donning a burkin?

I'm not too clear what his point is, but it seems that he views covering women up head to toe as 'radical'. I think it's pretty radical too, especially in a liberal democracy. But banning it ain't going to change anything.

Guest Rachelle of London

Nigella Lawson wears them and she's not Muslim. They're quite similar to scuba diving costumes aren't they? France banned the the burqa and look where that got them. I don't see how banning a swimsuit will do anything.

But Nigella wears them because she wants to protect her skin and beauty. Muslims wear them because that's what God wants and you're basically a slut if you don't and men will rightly punish you.

Guest Rachelle of London

But Nigella wears them because she wants to protect her skin and beauty. Muslims wear them because that's what God wants and you're basically a slut if you don't and men will rightly punish you.

:lmao:

So Nigella should be allowed but Muslim women shouldn't?

Whatever the reasoning this is a dumb idea.

No it's not "the French", it is one mayor. Do not generalize.

He is a member of the conservative party, Sarkozy endorsed him. And in two months from now the primaries of the conservative party will be held (presidential elections are next year), and every demagogue tries to get noticed with stupid statements and local laws.

I never heard about "burkinis" before and I couldn't care less if people wear that, like a majority of people...

No it's not "the French", it is one mayor. Do not generalize.

He is a member of the conservative party, Sarkozy endorsed him. And in two months from now the primaries of the conservative party will be held (presidential elections are next year), and every demagogue tries to get noticed with stupid statements and local laws.

I never heard about "burkinis" before and I couldn't care less if people wear that, like a majority of people...

Good point Moka. Saying all french people are like this is quite ignorant of the real situation, in fact.

Expect more of this shit from France in the coming months. Be prepared for super racist remarks and ideas to be expressed by ALL parties since the presidential campaign will start this fall (election is in late april 2017) and it's gonna be a racist mess since it's only gonna focus on identity and immigration.

Meanwhile is the wonderkini a burkini ?

It's a storm in a teacup: everybody's making a big deal out of it but it won't resolve the fact that we had 3 major terrorist attacks in less than 2 years.

Do they make burkinis for men or is this just a thing to oppress women?

i live in egypt and i dont wear anything other than speedos. And i go to private beaches where women don't wear these burkinis and sometimes jalabiyas.

I am surprised that in France they wear this legitimate swimwear

What the fuck happened to them?

Btw a lot of muslims are against this shit and they make jokes when they see it.

4088D123-4561-4329-BB1A-1B36837813E0.jpgCFBB4AD0-BA64-4856-87EC-C1257B38D9C3.jpg

Egypt back in the 50's and 60's

15013AF5-9A69-4323-9629-BA87DE913D7B.jpg694961FF-D4ED-4E5E-9752-C19B056D616D.jpgB8F18727-E0AF-40F3-9583-4855B1D3B109.jpg

These are in Asia. I think it's in Korea where women don't want to get a tan because they consider it ugly.

I didnt know cause it appeared in google arabic search results

C8D1AA5A-BB39-4A25-807B-62908D7D327F.png

I have found Katy Perry performing Rise :lol:

52566CB5-173A-41AD-90B6-635800749A3E.jpg

60263DD3-5729-491B-9824-DEACB6D900DC.jpg

FC72E5F0-F9C4-4F4C-93D4-7B845EE8579D.jpg

E0AC413C-F01C-4C88-A4F3-20196884FDAE.jpg