MadonnaNation.com Forums
spazz

Give Me All Your Luvin' APPRECIATION THREAD

GMAYL was BOUGHT radio plays and sold well for a brief moment with all the Super Bowl hype then soon dropped like a stone. FLOP.

But its download was NOT bought and it's her last certified and most successful commercial single since 4M/HU/DTM/Music in the US.

This is what Martin Solveig told Mojo in 2015 about the creation of the song:

"I'd demoed it for her in a complete form but the first day I met her she told me: 'I like this song but if we're going to do it together we're going to re-do it together too.' We took everything out of the demo she didn't like: the snare drum, the vocal and from that skeleton track we built a new song."

I think it is one of her most underappreciated songs ever. The cringey chanting aside, I love everything about it. The catchy chorus, the 60s surf sound, the video etc. LUV IT.

Have you guys heard this amazing cover version? I love it. I do like the original, being a perfect lead-up for the Superbowl, it made sense. However whenever I play this version by the KDMS, non-fans tell me, "Oh she should have done it like this, it's much better..."  :wacko:

49 minutes ago, DesperatelySeekingJacky said:

Have you guys heard this amazing cover version? I love it. I do like the original, being a perfect lead-up for the Superbowl, it made sense. However whenever I play this version by the KDMS, non-fans tell me, "Oh she should have done it like this, it's much better..."  :wacko:

I like it. Feels like her first album.

She should do this mix in a future tour.

57 minutes ago, DesperatelySeekingJacky said:

Wow! This is an amazing The First Album / throwback sort of mix. Leagues better than the official version or any of its remixes.

1 hour ago, loowee said:

I think it is one of her most underappreciated songs ever. The cringey chanting aside, I love everything about it. The catchy chorus, the 60s surf sound, the video etc. LUV IT.

I'm not going to hijack an appreciation thread to shit on a song that I think ranks among her all-time worst, but I agree with this. There are things in this track -- the chorus and the 60s surf song style among them -- that hint at something good. This song has always sounded to me like it was a few more takes away from being a smash, maybe if she'd cut a couple of things or tooled with tempo or melody, or ... you get the idea. It just feels cheap and unfinished to me as it is.

Hummm, not sure how I feel about this.  That KDMS version sounds kind of slow....like the singer is drunk and about to fall asleep.  I, personally, prefer the bubbly uptempo of Madonna's.  That remake isn't bad though.  I think it's M's video and her look that made me like the song more.?  Definitely not her most creative effort, but I understand where and what she was trying to do with this song.  Cheerleader, football kind of thing just for the Superbowl. 

1 hour ago, DesperatelySeekingJacky said:

Wow. I love this. It's definitely got that early 80's sound to it. I could totally get on board with this version going on tour with Madonna next time. 

I like the KDMS version.

The original i kinda like but the lyrics are cringe. She should stop making girl rhyme with world and what about the game she's playing ? Same one as in Turn up the radio (with it's moth to a flame banality) ? 

I think they went for a "Give me back my man" by the B-52's kind of track but ....

I love that breezy track GMAYL. Total surf & sand song! I loved the version without the rap too.

The song is mastered quite well... Possibly her best mastered single since Frozen.  Haters can hate me but that is my stance.  The track has a good sound.   Take out the cheering and GMAYL is a bop....  I am still not certain that it belonged on MDNA but I am rather fond of the song.

5 minutes ago, sul8323 said:

The song is mastered quite well... Possibly her best mastered single since Frozen.  Haters can hate me but that is my stance.  The track has a good sound.   Take out the cheering and GMAYL is a bop....  I am still not certain that it belonged on MDNA but I am rather fond of the song.

GMAYL was a big #1 hit on i-tunes.  So it was loved by the general public.

one thing I don't understand is - why did this have to be the lead? Because it has the cheering in the song so it's a MUST for Superbowl? wtf, that's a bit too literal.... To make a song the lead because of the chanting/Superbowl connection :lol:

1 hour ago, functions_X said:

one thing I don't understand is - why did this have to be the lead? Because it has the cheering in the song so it's a MUST for Superbowl? wtf, that's a bit too literal.... To make a song the lead because of the chanting/Superbowl connection :lol:

Cheering definitely. Also, it helped there was a strong featuring in Nicki which would boost sales or appeal to the younger demographic.

I wonder how GGW would have fared if it had been the lead.

HER WORST SINGLE RELEASE EVER...i actually thought  she lost her ability to know what a great song was. lol  as a song it's mediocre but a LEAD single? NO.  crap.

8 minutes ago, VogueMusic said:

Isn't this an "Appreciation" thread...?   :newspaper:

THANK YOU! Now, let's dance!

tumblr_nzfan3PWlm1qzjr2jo2_r1_400.gif

The song that officially ended her commercial career. Who would have thought this terrible little song would be even more destructive than American Life (which I love).

I frankly don't care if this is an appreciation thread, this song should have never seen the light of day. She should have released GGW as lead single and perform that at the Superbowl right before Like a Prayer. A guranteed hit, yes. Not even the features could save GMAL from tanking after one week. It's her weakest single choice EVER and it's the reason all her following single releases including the great stuff from Rebel Heart tanked.

6 hours ago, Littlebastard said:

HER WORST SINGLE RELEASE EVER...i actually thought  she lost her ability to know what a great song was. lol  as a song it's mediocre but a LEAD single? NO.  crap.

AMEN !

i remember hearing it on this forum...someone was taping outside Madonna's house...she was jamming to it...and we were all trying to make out the lyrics

i get that she wanted something 'different' then everything on the radio. i loved it. not her best first single choice but it's good. 

One cheerleader chant in the middle or outro of the song would of been sufficient. It ruins the song for me and is unlistenable.

I can't with people who rail against GMAYL as a first single. "HOW DARE SHE RELEASE SUCH A GENERIC, CHEESY TRACK! This was her big OPPORTUNITY to come BACK!" But in the same breath say that Girl Gone Wild would've been this MONSTER hit had she just performed it at the Super Bowl. :lmao:

dA fUQ? :blink:

Because satanic sounding chants from monks in red robes and her pointing a gun at hundreds of thousands of people in the stands while singing about being a 'bad girl' and 808 drums just screams Billboard Top 10. GGW, in my opinion, would've been even MORE embarrassing for her than GMAYL. And this is coming from someone who really enjoys GGW. 

If she had to pick  from ANY of the generic singles she picked from MDNA to lead with, it should've been Turn Up The Radio. It would've made sense in a setting like the Super Bowl, has a singalong chorus, and probably would've been picked up by a lot of radio formats. 

6 hours ago, S.E.X. said:

The song that officially ended her commercial career. Who would have thought this terrible little song would be even more destructive than American Life (which I love).

I frankly don't care if this is an appreciation thread, this song should have never seen the light of day. She should have released GGW as lead single and perform that at the Superbowl right before Like a Prayer. A guranteed hit, yes. Not even the features could save GMAL from tanking after one week. It's her weakest single choice EVER and it's the reason all her following single releases including the great stuff from Rebel Heart tanked.

yeah....but this is an appreciation thread. :queenbitch:

18 minutes ago, KalamazooJay said:

I can't with people who rail against GMAYL as a first single. "HOW DARE SHE RELEASE SUCH A GENERIC, CHEESY TRACK! This was her big OPPORTUNITY to come BACK!" But in the same breath say that Girl Gone Wild would've been this MONSTER hit had she just performed it at the Super Bowl. :lmao:

dA fUQ? :blink:

Because satanic sounding chants from monks in red robes and her pointing a gun at hundreds of thousands of people in the stands while singing about being a 'bad girl' and 808 drums just screams Billboard Top 10. GGW, in my opinion, would've been even MORE embarrassing for her than GMAYL. And this is coming from someone who really enjoys GGW. 

If she had to pick  from ANY of the generic singles she picked from MDNA to lead with, it should've been Turn Up The Radio. It would've made sense in a setting like the Super Bowl, has a singalong chorus, and probably would've been picked up by a lot of radio formats. 

I will NEVER understand how fans would think Girl Gone Wild and Turn Up The Radio are better than GMAYL. The former two are generic as hell with those dusty EDM beats that would be played in some sketchy gay club from some C-list European country.