2016 American Presidential Thread

JR!

Ulizos,

I wasn't making fun of you in the least. My statement was independent of your post.

well, you put brainwashed in quotation marks and I always do that when I think someone is stupid :lmao:

Like, oh, you think Obama is a "muslim" and was born in "Kenya" :lmao:

well, you put brainwashed in quotation marks and I always do that when I think someone is stupid :lmao:

Like, oh, you think Obama is a "muslim" and was born in "Kenya" :lmao:

You both are right. I will edit my post. I wasn't very clear. Neither of you are stupid in my book. :)

In response to the earlier discussion about health insurance -

The idea that people are paying more for less is complete bullshit. A lot of CRAP insurance plans existed before that covered very little and thus did not cost anything. Now plans may cost more but they MUST cover more and also limit the amount of out of pocket costs an individual can incur. Thus, if one has insurance and gets a catastrophic illness, they won't end up with outrageous bills to pay that they could never afford. Small businesses with only 15 employees are not required to provide healthcare for their employees now and they weren't before - and few small businesses did provide it before. As this 2013 chart shows, businesses with fewer than 50 employees provide insurance about 30% of the time - http://kff.org/other/state-indicator/firms-offering-coverage-by-size/

The other 70% had to get insurance on their own or go without. Pre existing conditions meant they couldn't get insurance. As many people have low incomes, they get subsidies for their premium - to the tune of 72% of people who get insurance though the Affordable Care Act - "For enrollees in the 37 states that used HealthCare.gov in 2015, those subsidies pay an average of 72 percent of the full premium cost, leaving subsidized insureds responsible for just $105 per month in premiums."

https://www.healthinsurance.org/obamacare/will-you-receive-an-obamacare-premium-subsidy/

This is not even to mention the many millions of people who are now eligible for Medicaid that weren't before (provided that their state is not run by an obstructionist Republican who refused to implement the expansion). http://obamacarefacts.com/obamacares-medicaid-expansion/

Those who do not receive a subsidy (like my partner) can pay between $300 and $1200 per month depending on the type of plan they choose - but that's because his employer is an ASSHOLE and only offered the shittiest possible plan which none of his employees chose to take and most are now enrolled in Medicaid.

In response to the earlier discussion about health insurance -

The idea that people are paying more for less is complete bullshit. A lot of CRAP insurance plans existed before that covered very little and thus did not cost anything. Now plans may cost more but they MUST cover more and also limit the amount of out of pocket costs an individual can incur. Thus, if one has insurance and gets a catastrophic illness, they won't end up with outrageous bills to pay that they could never afford. Small businesses with only 15 employees are not required to provide healthcare for their employees now and they weren't before - and few small businesses did provide it before. As this 2013 chart shows, businesses with fewer than 50 employees provide insurance about 30% of the time - http://kff.org/other/state-indicator/firms-offering-coverage-by-size/

The other 70% had to get insurance on their own or go without. Pre existing conditions meant they couldn't get insurance. As many people have low incomes, they get subsidies for their premium - to the tune of 72% of people who get insurance though the Affordable Care Act - "For enrollees in the 37 states that used HealthCare.gov in 2015, those subsidies pay an average of 72 percent of the full premium cost, leaving subsidized insureds responsible for just $105 per month in premiums."

https://www.healthinsurance.org/obamacare/will-you-receive-an-obamacare-premium-subsidy/

This is not even to mention the many millions of people who are now eligible for Medicaid that weren't before (provided that their state is not run by an obstructionist Republican who refused to implement the expansion). http://obamacarefacts.com/obamacares-medicaid-expansion/

Those who do not receive a subsidy (like my partner) can pay between $300 and $1200 per month depending on the type of plan they choose - but that's because his employer is an ASSHOLE and only offered the shittiest possible plan which none of his employees chose to take and most are now enrolled in Medicaid.

There are really good things in the ACA including the pre-existing condition clause and the law is actually helping many people. But for the average person that didn't need the ACA, which was the majority of Americans, the ACA didn't help and in many cases it made things worse.

And yeah, small businesses with only 15 employees are not required to provide healthcare, however, those that did now have to pay more and may not offer it in the future anymore. I know small business owners that pay an exorbitant amount of health insurance for their employees and they will not hire anymore because they can't afford to do it. So, the fact that your partner's employer even offers a plan at all is giving him an on option which he wouldn't have otherwise. I don't know if you called him an A-hole because or despite of that, but at least he offers a plan when many nowadays won't even bother.

The argument is not that people have not benefited from the ACA. Its execution is what is in question. Do you know part of the reason why college education is so expensive? It's because the government subsidizes it. Capitalism is based on offer and demand, if there were no one willing to pay these extremes prices, colleges would close. Insurance carriers can increase these subsidized plans and there will be no major effect on the insured since the government will pay 70% of the costs, but guess who's making more money? You see, when the middlemen are profiting and the government is paying the bill, there's little to no incentive in improving or innovating the system.

Maybe people are paying more for more. But is it more of what they needed? Or is it more of what is now mandated even if it does not apply to the majority?

Rrrr Still over 2.5 f'king months of THIS (and no doubt 10x more/worse to come) w/ the parasites he's just added and 'promoted' :# lmao. Her team reeally needs to stop being so 'positive', complacent, ignore etc..and get Warren, Biden that general from DNC and every single pit bull speaker out there almost daily to smack Dumpster and his campaign scummy dirty tricks down! Sooo many dumb people out there that if they keep seeing it over/over you'll always get enough imbeciles with an IQ of 12 (or lower) for it to stick!