Seattle poised to ban gay conversion therapy

Guest Mauro

Guest Mauro

banned-500x281.jpg

A proposal to ban gay conversion therapy advanced out of a Seattle City Council committee hearing on Tuesday and is expected to pass the full council next week. Seattle would become the third city to ban the controversial practice of trying to turn LGBT people straight or cisgender.

Currently California, Oregon, Illinois, and New Jersey ban the practice statewide. Washington, DC and Cincinnati also have bans in place. Washington’s state legislature refused to take up legislation to ban the practice statewide in 2015, prompting the city to act.

“It’s absolutely offensive to me, that instead of providing these children, who are going through perhaps a moment of confusion… instead of providing them the support that they need, there are people out there who believe it’s appropriate to convince these children that their same-sex orientation is somehow a disease, or an illness, or something that can be cured. And I think that that does a disservice,” said Seattle Councilmember Lorena Gonzalez, who sponsored the ordinance, according to KIRO-TV7.

The full council is expected to vote on the measure at 2pm local time on Monday.

http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2016/07/seattle-poised-ban-gay-conversion-therapy/

I know Stacey Dooley who did a great documentary about it. You should watch it. When I asked her about it her response was hilarious. It's a no brainer that it should be banned.

One of my therapists asked me once if I wanted to cure my gayness :lol:

i hope you changed it.... :lol:

(not that you make him gay....well....) but that you changed therapist

I didn't even know this was a real thing. I always thought it was a joke. WTF.

Yes that's true, it's not a joke.

And these "camps" can be very hard on kids - harder than army, physically and psychologically speaking, :(

What a despicable practice! People struggling with their sexuality need support and help,not some quack trying to push a "cure" onto them! Pity there isn't a cure for people being an ignorant cunt!!!

It's shocking that doctors on the NHS as recently as the 1980s were practicing aversion therapy, a form of gay cure therapy that included being given a drug that made the person extremely sick and they were forced to listen to a tape of negative words reinforcing the idea that gay is bad, plus they had to sit there in their own vomit, nasty stuff and i'm glad we have came a long way since then,

truth be told a few years ago i wanted to be cured as i was very confused, too much catholic guilt from my childhood i guess :/

I live in Seattle and honestly, I'd be shocked (pun intended) if there were any gay conversion therapists within the city limits. This city is so liberal it's like America's version of Amsterdam. I am pretty sure this vote was a symbolic one. It would have more meaning if it was a state-wide thing. Outside of Seattle is pretty redneck.

I saw one where no girls were allowed and they had to go shirtless and play sports in the woods. I was like...this is a gang bang waiting to happen. You couldn't get a more gay appealing environment. :lmao:

Guest Pud Whacker

I live in Seattle and honestly, I'd be shocked (pun intended) if there were any gay conversion therapists within the city limits. This city is so liberal it's like America's version of Amsterdam. I am pretty sure this vote was a symbolic one. It would have more meaning if it was a state-wide thing. Outside of Seattle is pretty redneck.

They're making up for their filthy anti commie lobotomy bullshit of the early 20th century.