Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Pud Whacker

The Great Camille Paglia!!!

71 posts in this topic

Lol at what she says about Hillary Clinton

:lol:

She is so on it. fascinating and brilliant!

A great great great thinker!

i love her points but i kept thinking she would break out with porky pig's "that's all folks"

lol

Oh, this bitter old witch again. She hates Madonna now. I guess that's what happens when M won't give you the time of day no matter how sycophantic you act. Camille will never get over not having been born without a dick. :lol: RIP, dear.

On 7/21/2016 at 10:18 PM, erotica blu said:

She's a genuine cunt. I love her.

:lol:

i came looking for this thread ...(AND I FINALLY LEARNED HOW TO SEARCH 1,000,000 YEARS LATER!!!) to keep all the camille stuff here instead of madonna section and that made me laugh!!! xo

ok, that Madonna rebuttal Camille did...this had me laughing hard!

'Instead, they got the geriatric novelist Norman Mailer, who knew nothing about Madonna or popular music, with predictably vapid results,' Camille recalled.

:rotfl:

shes a riot!

I really like her interviews and from what I read, some of her thinking on feminism and gay issues/activism! Not so much on almost discarding Madonna after she embraced Kabbalah. Lol 

Feel like she's a very tough minded woman and has no time for the privileged feminist activists who come from the upper middle classes. She recognizes that they dominate the media, academia, and the arts.  She definitely calls out people who embrace victimhood while behaving like big hypocrites. 

Just read the Paglia response now. Have to let it sink in because she really was nasty at Madonna, but at same time well known feminists have been notorious for being bitches toward each other. 

Lady Gaga and the death of sex

An erotic breaker of taboos or an asexual copycat? Camille Paglia, America's foremost cultural critic, demolishes an icon

Published: 12 September 2010

Lady Gaga is the first major star of the digital age. Since her rise, she has remained almost continually on tour. Hence, she is a moving target who has escaped serious scrutiny. She is often pictured tottering down the street in some outlandish get-up and fright wig. Most of what she has said about herself has not been independently corroborated… “Music is a lie”, “Art is a lie”, “Gaga is a lie”, and “I profusely lie” have been among Gaga’s pronouncements, but her fans swallow her line whole…

She constantly touts her symbiotic bond with her fans, the “little monsters”, who she inspires to “love themselves” as if they are damaged goods in need of her therapeutic repair. “You’re a superstar, no matter who you are!” She earnestly tells them from the stage, while their cash ends up in her pockets. She told a magazine with messianic fervour: “I love my fans more than any artist who has ever lived.” She claims to have changed the lives of the disabled, thrilled by her jewelled parody crutches in the Paparazzi video.

Although she presents herself as the clarion voice of all the freaks and misfits of life, there is little evidence that she ever was one. Her upbringing was comfortable and eventually affluent, and she attended the same upscale Manhattan private school as Paris and Nicky Hilton. There is a monumental disconnect between Gaga’s melodramatic self-portrayal as a lonely, rebellious, marginalised artist and the powerful corporate apparatus that bankrolled her makeover and has steamrollered her songs into heavy rotation on radio stations everywhere.

Lady Gaga is a manufactured personality, and a recent one at that. Photos of Stefani Germanotta just a few years ago show a bubbly brunette with a glowing complexion. The Gaga of world fame, however, with her heavy wigs and giant sunglasses (rudely worn during interviews) looks either simperingly doll-like or ghoulish, without a trace of spontaneity. Every public appearance, even absurdly at airports where most celebrities want to pass incognito, has been lavishly scripted in advance with a flamboyant outfit and bizarre hairdo assembled by an invisible company of elves.

Furthermore, despite showing acres of pallid flesh in the fetish-bondage garb of urban prostitution, Gaga isn’t sexy at all – she’s like a gangly marionette or plasticised android. How could a figure so calculated and artificial, so clinical and strangely antiseptic, so stripped of genuine eroticism have become the icon of her generation? Can it be that Gaga represents the exhausted end of the sexual revolution? In Gaga’s manic miming of persona after persona, over-conceptualised and claustrophobic, we may have reached the limit of an era…

Gaga has borrowed so heavily from Madonna (as in her latest video-Alejandro) that it must be asked, at what point does homage become theft? However, the main point is that the young Madonna was on fire. She was indeed the imperious Marlene Dietrich’s true heir. For Gaga, sex is mainly decor and surface; she’s like a laminated piece of ersatz rococo furniture. Alarmingly, Generation Gaga can’t tell the difference. Is it the death of sex? Perhaps the symbolic status that sex had for a century has gone kaput; that blazing trajectory is over…

Gaga seems comet-like, a stimulating burst of novelty, even though she is a ruthless recycler of other people’s work. She is the diva of déjà vu. Gaga has glibly appropriated from performers like Cher, Jane Fonda as Barbarella, Gwen Stefani and Pink, as well as from fashion muses like Isabella Blow and Daphne Guinness. Drag queens, whom Gaga professes to admire, are usually far sexier in many of her over-the-top outfits than she is.

Peeping dourly through all that tat is Gaga’s limited range of facial expressions. Her videos repeatedly thrust that blank, lugubrious face at the camera and us; it’s creepy and coercive. Marlene and Madonna gave the impression, true or false, of being pansexual. Gaga, for all her writhing and posturing, is asexual. Going off to the gym in broad daylight, as Gaga recently did, dressed in a black bustier, fishnet stockings and stiletto heels isn’t sexy – it’s sexually dysfunctional.

Compare Gaga’s insipid songs, with their nursery-rhyme nonsense syllables, to the title and hypnotic refrain of the first Madonna song and video to bring her attention on MTV, Burning Up, with its elemental fire imagery and its then-shocking offer of fellatio. In place of Madonna’s valiant life force, what we find in Gaga is a disturbing trend towards mutilation and death…

Gaga is in way over her head with her avant-garde pretensions… She wants to have it both ways – to be hip and avant-garde and yet popular and universal, a practitioner of gung-ho “show biz”. Most of her worshippers seem to have had little or no contact with such powerful performers as Tina Turner or Janis Joplin, with their huge personalities and deep wells of passion.

Generation Gaga doesn’t identify with powerful vocal styles because their own voices have atrophied: they communicate mutely via a constant stream of atomised, telegraphic text messages. Gaga’s flat affect doesn’t bother them because they’re not attuned to facial expressions.

Gaga's fans are marooned in a global technocracy of fancy gadgets but emotional poverty. Borderlines have been blurred between public and private: reality TV shows multiply, cell phone conversations blare everywhere; secrets are heedlessly blabbed on Facebook and Twitter. Hence, Gaga gratuitously natters on about her vagina…

To read the rest of this explosive profile, including Paglia's debunking of comparisons to Madonna, David Bowie, Elton John and Andy Warhol, and to view a slideshow of photographs, visit the thesundaytimes.co.uk/magazine now

This woman doesn't want ageing women to express themselves as they want. She can stick her opinions up her ass and get a new job. 

She seems to attach herself to whatever is popular and give her opinion. "Loose Women"  with a degree... So happy Madonna didnt get involved with her in any shape or form. When she talks she sounds as if she is on drugs specifically speed :lmao:

2 hours ago, MeakMaker said:

She seems to attach herself to whatever is popular and give her opinion. "Loose Women"  with a degree... So happy Madonna didnt get involved with her in any shape or form. When she talks she sounds as if she is on drugs specifically speed :lmao:

She is a social critic. 

And that speed is passion in a world of sheepish zombies on anti-depressants. 

Defending with passion something wrong doesn't make it positive. 

2 hours ago, Pud Whacker said:

She is a social critic. 

And that speed is passion in a world of sheepish zombies on anti-depressants. 

Yes Pud I get it but I can also understand why M didn't want to do interviews with her. I think Madonna was kind of scared of her...

1 hour ago, MeakMaker said:

Yes Pud I get it but I can also understand why M didn't want to do interviews with her. I think Madonna was kind of scared of her...

Agreed! 100%. X

ONE OF THE GREATEST INDEPENDENT MINDS WE HAVE EVER KNOWN!!!

NOT for the weak sheep.

@ 18:00 "they lack the power of obsession".  I totally agree with her, and I feel I still have that obsession too.  I see women the way same way heterosexual males see them too.  Try telling that to another woman, most don't get it.

@21:50....I agree, agree, agree....but most women don't know what they're communicating and that's why they're offended at the gawks of men.  

@25:20, yes, women must take responsibility.  This is what Chrissy Hynde was saying as well. It's about keeping our sexual freedom, and using it any way we please. 

Love this, Pud.  Thanks for posting.  You're right...it's something sheep won't understand. I'm only 30 minutes in...need to finish later. 

13 minutes ago, WeboGirl said:

@ 18:00 "they lack the power of obsession".  I totally agree with her, and I feel I still have that obsession too.  I see women the way same way heterosexual males see them too.  Try telling that to another woman, most don't get it.

@19:50....I agree, agree, agree....but most women don't know what they're communicating and that's why they're offended at the gawks of men.  

@25:20, yes, women must take responsibility.  This is what Chrissy Hynde was saying as well. It's about keeping our sexual freedom, and using it any way we please. 

Love this, Pud.  Thanks for posting.  You're right...it's something sheep won't understand. I'm only 30 minutes in...need to finish later. 

oh yeah, shes absolutely tremendous.  in the comments, i have put just a few time markers for future reference.  check them out when you have a moment. 

If I ignore her horrible and bitter text in the Daily News 2 weeks ago, I must say that I have always regarded Paglia as a great thinker and analyst of popular culture. They are rare these days.