Brother Reportedly Admits to Killing Pakistani Social Media Star in 'Honor Killing

Guest Mauro

Guest Mauro

The brother of Pakistani social media celebrity Qandeel Baloch, has allegedly admitted to drugging and strangling his sister, according to BBC.

Police say that Baloch's body was found in her family home on Saturday, according to Reuters. The Associated and multiple other outlets have said that her brother, Waseem Azeem, allegedly killed his sister in what is being called an "honor killing." Hundreds of Pakistani women who "[violate] conservative norms" are killed by family members each year in these types of killings as punishment, according to the AP.

And in a press conference, Azeem allegedly confirmed reports, showing no remorse for murdering his sister, the AP reported.

qandeel-baloch-5-435.jpg

Qandeel Baloch

"Yes, of course I strangled her," Azeem reportedly said in a press conference organized by police after his arrest, according to Pakistani newspaper The Express Tribune. "She was on the ground floor while our parents were asleep on the roof top. It was around 10:45 p.m. when I gave her a tablet ... and then I killed her."

qandeel-baloch-4-435.jpg

Waseem Azeem

While Baloch was revered by many liberals, Muslim conservatives reportedly took extreme offense when she posted pictures of herself with a prominent Muslim cleric, according to the AP.

"After the videos with Mufti Abdul Qavi had gone viral on social media, I planned to murder her and was only waiting for the best moment," Azeem reportedly said, referring to a controversial video where Baloch posted with the Muslim cleric.

qandeel-baloch-3-800.jpg

Qandeel Baloch's funeral

The same report says Azeem took serious offense to Baloch's non-traditional and feminist ideals and her murder "provided relief" to his parents and brothers.

"Girls are born only to stay at home and to bring honor to the family by following family traditions but Qandeel had never done that," he said, adding, "Murdering her was better than committing suicide so I went with the former plan."

http://www.people.com/article/qandeel-baloch-brother-admits-to-murder

Absolutely disgusting. I get so angry and disgusted with the way women are treated by fanatical misogynists. Sick to death of people not caring either and instead talking about the right to religious fanatical beliefs. Women's rights to live in freedom and not be murdered should ALWAYS come before any religious beliefs. Not enough is done in the World to address this.

Absolutely disgusting. I get so angry and disgusted with the way women are treated by fanatical misogynists. Sick to death of people not caring either and instead talking about the right to religious fanatical beliefs. Women's rights to live in freedom and not be murdered should ALWAYS come before any religious beliefs. Not enough is done in the World to address this.

100% with you. Women's rights are NOT being taken seriously enough throughout the world.

100% with you. Women's rights are NOT being taken seriously enough throughout the world.

Thank you. I have argued that point with people for years. How can anyone justify honour deaths, women being stoned to death, having no rights at all and being made to feel unclean for "bleeding" each month. Sorry to be so graphic, but how is this still even allowed anywhere in the world.

This.

This is one of the reasons I hate religion. Hurting and killing people all for the sake of something abstract.

Sadly these so called "honour" killings happen. I have read sickening comments like she exposed herself on social media etc putting blame on her and not the coward who killed her.

Just sad that alot of Muslims girls can't live the life that they want.

RIP Qandeel

so true !!!

I cannot believe there is still those honor killings. It disgusts me how fanatics treat woman as just an object, althugh, if they wanna live religious then they should know woman and man are equal.

RIP this beautiful woman, may she be in peace in heaven

A lot of parents/family care more about what others think and not what their kids think.

If the bible, Quran and other religious texts were to have come out these times, we would have put in the same group as Scientology and other cult groups..

Religion just divides people, brings out hate.

A lot of parents/family care more about what others think and not what their kids think.

If the bible, Quran and other religious texts were to have come out these times, we would have put in the same group as Scientology and other cult groups..

Religion just divides people, brings out hate.

sadly this is so true. I hate it, Why consider what others think of you ? People should stop of this nonsense.

Quran- 4:15 “If any of your women are guilty of lewdness, take the evidence of four (reliable) witness from amongst you against them; if they testify, confine them to houses until death do claim them. Or God ordain for them some (other) way.”

Quran-24:2 “The woman and the man guilty of adultery or fornication—flog each of them with hundred stripes: Let no compassion move you in their case, in a matter prescribed by God, if ye believe in God and the last day.”

Quran-17:32 “ Nor come nigh to adultery: for it is a shameful (deed) and an evil, opening the road (to other evils).

Quran-33:33 “stay quietly in your houses, and make not a dazzling display.”

But he's not really Muslim! That's not Islam! Islam empowers women... ETC.

I am now getting to the stage where I am hating religion as well. All of the division, hatred and cruelty that is preached about in books that were written so long ago and are so obviously barbaric and against humanity and compassion. They are not meant to be referenced today. Why do people in today's day and age follow these words so literally. When you get people believing that the Earth is only thousands of years old and the Sun revolves around the Earth, you have to wonder how they can take things as complete gospel. Never will understand how people can't see this and also believe in senseless and cruel practices and deaths. I know it is not the moderate people of any religion but sadly, in every religion now, fundamentalists have too much say.

Pregnant Afghan 14-year-old is tortured and burned to death by her in-laws in revenge for her father eloping with their niece

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3695881/Pregnant-14-year-old-tortured-burned-death-Afghanistan-laws-revenge-father-eloping-niece.html?ito=social-facebook

another tragic story. This has nothing to do with religion. Its their fucking patriacharchic stupidity.

Just awful :( and most of these men are out there being naughty Muslims and drinking, smoking, gambling and having premarital s.e.x. I know a lot of Indian/Pakistani girls and even though we live in a very liberated, western part of the world they're still subjected to a lot of these stupid double standards

Just awful :( and most of these men are out there being naughty Muslims and drinking, smoking, gambling and having premarital s.e.x. I know a lot of Indian/Pakistani girls and even though we live in a very liberated, western part of the world they're still subjected to a lot of these stupid double standards

Same. I frequently see Muslim men drinking and having hidden 'white girlfriends'. Not good.

Guest Mauro

Same. I frequently see Muslim men drinking and having hidden 'white girlfriends'. Not good.

Muslim men are allowed to marry Christian women.

Muslim men are allowed to marry Christian women.

It's not disallowed but certain cultures have parents whose word is 'worth' more than any dogmatic law. They marry a Muslim woman to please the family but fuck a white westerner to please themselves. It's not a religious issue as much as it's a cultural issue. I don't think Islam is necessarily a hateful religion but certainly many cultures attached to it are very non progressive. Which is a polite way of saying backwards.

Pregnant Afghan 14-year-old is tortured and burned to death by her in-laws in revenge for her father eloping with their niece

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3695881/Pregnant-14-year-old-tortured-burned-death-Afghanistan-laws-revenge-father-eloping-niece.html?ito=social-facebook

another tragic story. This has nothing to do with religion. Its their fucking patriacharchic stupidity.

Yes. We may never know the true motive.

You sound like a bigot.

No I don't. I'm not intolerant of people's beliefs. I am intolerant of the disgusting actions of these people. So think again.