MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Shaun

Favorite Blond Ambition?

118 members have voted

1. 1. Which Blond Ambition city was the best?

Kim    0
3 hours ago, Bat-Fan said:

About the wind, I am curious to know what you think Kim.  When comparing the shows, some have said Japan show is worse because of the wind, nothing to due with the lighting but people feel it ruined the performance due to her hair and outfit's effect caused by the waether and I guess the dangling candle piece in PDP which I find kind of amusing. Some were annoyed with the missing curtains too. I always liked this wind effect and thought it added to the performance rather than ruining it. What do you think? ☺ I just found it odd how the weather could be such an issue for some.

The wind changed everything, including the lighting. You can see they're pumping enough smoke on the stage (for Madonna to ask them if they're having a barbecue back there) but the wind is sweeping it away, the lights therefore have no chance to diffuse properly on stage so it looks like she's performing against darkness most of the time. The curtains are missed, we don't need to see stage hands scurrying around in the background. You see the stained glass window start to come down and Madonna glances up at it as they decide to take it back up again as it's flapping around. It's a shame but it's just the gamble you take playing outdoors. The concert is a nice curio to have and a nice addition to what we already have but it doesn't scream BLOND AMBITION to me and doesn't showcase the technicality of the staging. if that was the only document we had of that groundbreaking tour I'd be disappointed. Luckily we can take our pick.

Bat-Fan    0
2 minutes ago, Kim said:

The wind changed everything, including the lighting. You can see they're pumping enough smoke on the stage (for Madonna to ask them if they're having a barbecue back there) but the wind is sweeping it away, the lights therefore have no chance to diffuse properly on stage so it looks like she's performing against darkness most of the time. The curtains are missed, we don't need to see stage hands scurrying around in the background. You see the stained glass window start to come down and Madonna glances up at it as they decide to take it back up again as it's flapping around. It's a shame but it's just the gamble you take playing outdoors. The concert is a nice curio to have and a nice addition to what we already have but it doesn't scream BLOND AMBITION to me and doesn't showcase the technicality of the staging. if that was the only document we had of that groundbreaking tour I'd be disappointed. Luckily we can take our pick.

Very true, I do like we have both Japan and Nice. Both have faults but both are very enjoyable and it is fun to see how the show evolved. One interesting thing is the picture quality og the Japan show is much better than the Nice one. I am guessing you have both laser discs. Do you know why this is? You seem quite familiar to the technical stuff.

Kim    0
3 hours ago, Bat-Fan said:

Very true, I do like we have both Japan and Nice. Both have faults but both are very enjoyable and it is fun to see how the show evolved. One interesting thing is the picture quality og the Japan show is much better than the Nice one. I am guessing you have both laser discs. Do you know why this is? You seem quite familiar to the technical stuff.

I don't think they used particularly good quality TV cameras to film Barcelona and Nice and you can see the difference in sources as they switch from their own inhouse NTSC cameras to the PAL TV ones. The mega bright lighting didn't help, and lighting her from behind as well as front created an almost hazy halo like effect around her. As said before, the original PAL laser disk is much crisper than the US NTSC  which is conversion of the source material. They also appear to have somewhat upped the brightness and contrast on the laser disc pressing that wasn't present on the broadcast. Clips from the Nice show were used in the Omnibus documentary that year and didn't have that effect.

For Japan I think they just used good quality NTSC cameras for the close up stuff (some of the distance shots are a bit blurry) and gave it a nice crisp transfer to disc. Japanese discs often being known for their superior quality.

Incidentally, the TV broadcast of the Yokohama show featured some very minor different camera angles and even the picture quality of that TV broadcast is really great. Little factoid - that tiny glitch in Holiday where they fuck up the editing and Madonna's voice is heard while the mic is nowhere near her mouth as seen in the first video below starting at 4:36 isn't present on the original TV broadcast on the second vid @ 4:38. Weird, huh??

Bat-Fan    0
2 hours ago, Kim said:

I don't think they used particularly good quality TV cameras to film Barcelona and Nice and you can see the difference in sources as they switch from their own inhouse NTSC cameras to the PAL TV ones. The mega bright lighting didn't help, and lighting her from behind as well as front created an almost hazy halo like effect around her. As said before, the original PAL laser disk is much crisper than the US NTSC  which is conversion of the source material. They also appear to have somewhat upped the brightness and contrast on the laser disc pressing that wasn't present on the broadcast. Clips from the Nice show were used in the Omnibus documentary that year and didn't have that effect.

For Japan I think they just used good quality NTSC cameras for the close up stuff (some of the distance shots are a bit blurry) and gave it a nice crisp transfer to disc. Japanese discs often being known for their superior quality.

Incidentally, the TV broadcast of the Yokohama show featured some very minor different camera angles and even the picture quality of that TV broadcast is really great. Little factoid - that tiny glitch in Holiday where they fuck up the editing and Madonna's voice is heard while the mic is nowhere near her mouth as seen starting here at 4:36...

Is nowhere to be found on the original TV broadcast here at 4:38. Weird, huh???

Wow you know every frame ☺, I noticed this glitch when I first saw it but didnt mind it. About the Nice show, I noticed the laser disc is so bright, all the ebay bootlegs from the laser dics are so horrible and all the downloads are such crap. I did notice the in-house version (were ever that came from) looks darker than the laser disc I have which I like. We have discussed this "in-house" version before and you were right, it is NTSC SL. I do have to say and I truly believe that it is still the best quality download/DVD out there,exluding all LD. I say this because allthough not as good as the Japan quality, it is still comparable to my official Girlie Show DVD, which isnt saying much of course, as it is pretty average quality DVD, even slightly pixelled in some frames.

Kim    0
2 hours ago, Bat-Fan said:

Wow you know every frame ☺, I noticed this glitch when I first saw it but didnt mind it. About the Nice show, I noticed the laser disc is so bright, all the ebay bootlegs from the laser dics are so horrible and all the downloads are such crap. I did notice the in-house version (were ever that came from) looks darker than the laser disc I have which I like. We have discussed this "in-house" version before and you were right, it is NTSC SL. I do have to say and I truly believe that it is still the best quality download/DVD out there,exluding all LD. I say this because allthough not as good as the Japan quality, it is still comparable to my official Girlie Show DVD, which isnt saying much of course, as it is pretty average quality DVD, even slightly pixelled in some frames.

The so called in-house DVD (I don't happen to think it is) looks...okay. Better than the NTSC laser disc rips that were floating around for years . Comparable to a good rip from the best equipment. Yes it is single layer and in the 'wrong' format so it's already at a disadvantage. The PAL laser disc just looks better, period. In fact the PAL laser disk converted to NTSC looks better than the official NTSC, so I don't know what's going on there. The levels do need to be changed either during or after the ripping process to get the best results but that's just inherent in the source material.

Anyway, our only hope of getting this concert is through a release of one of these shows now that we know they didn't film all of the Paris shows for TorD.

It's never gonna be HD quality or anything but with today's technology they could do a decent job. They could even remove those pink lights from EY if they wanted.

But hey, after nearly 30 years it's seemingly a lost cause at this point >:(

Bat-Fan    0
5 minutes ago, Kim said:

The so called in-house DVD (I don't happen to think it is) looks...okay. Better than the NTSC laser disc rips that were floating around for years . Comparable to a good rip from the best equipment. Yes it is single layer and in the 'wrong' format so it's already at a disadvantage. The PAL laser disc just looks better, period. In fact the PAL laser disk converted to NTSC looks better than the official NTSC, so I don't know what's going on there. The levels do need to be changed either during or after the ripping process to get the best results but that's just inherent in the source material.

Anyway, our only hope of getting this concert is through a release of one of these shows now that we know they didn't film all of the Paris shows for TorD.

It's never gonna be HD quality or anything but with today's technology they could do a decent job. They could even remove those pink lights from EY if they wanted.

But hey, after nearly 30 years it's seemingly a lost cause at this point >:(

Those older Nice laser disc rips that have been around for years are unwatchable, picture is faded and just looks horrible. I still often wonder why the Girlie Show DVD is so bad/ok quality. I have a PAL version, I dont know if the NTSC is better.

Kim    0
19 minutes ago, Bat-Fan said:

Those older Nice laser disc rips that have been around for years are unwatchable, picture is faded and just looks horrible. I still often wonder why the Girlie Show DVD is so bad/ok quality. I have a PAL version, I dont know if the NTSC is better.

The Girlie Show is a strange one because it's a PAL filmed (mostly) show that was converted to NTSC then that NTSC version was converted back to PAL for Euro laser disk and DVD, so there's two layers of transcoding that reduced the quality. Pioneer used the original PAL master for their BA Euro laser disc but WB didn't for GS. So technically the US GS DVD should be better quality. However that also has the baffling issue of only having the crap 5:1 mix and not the 2.0 stereo. As you know, the Euro DVD is double sided with stereo one side and 5:1 the other (why they didn't just put the two audio mixes on one side is anyone's guess) I'll need to track down the US DVD at some point to see if it's better PQ. 

Bat-Fan    0
27 minutes ago, Kim said:

The Girlie Show is a strange one because it's a PAL filmed (mostly) show that was converted to NTSC then that NTSC version was converted back to PAL for Euro laser disk and DVD, so there's two layers of transcoding that reduced the quality. Pioneer used the original PAL master for their BA Euro laser disc but WB didn't for GS. So technically the US GS DVD should be better quality. However that also has the baffling issue of only having the crap 5:1 mix and not the 2.0 stereo. As you know, the Euro DVD is double sided with stereo one side and 5:1 the other (why they didn't just put the two audio mixes on one side is anyone's guess) I'll need to track down the US DVD at some point to see if it's better PQ. 

I would be very interested in knowing if the us quality is better, my DVD is seriously bad, fast movement pixelled.

Kim    0
On 03/09/2017 at 1:38 AM, Bat-Fan said:

I would be very interested in knowing if the us quality is better, my DVD is seriously bad, fast movement pixelled.

This thread reminded me to order a US Girlie Show DVD to see if it's better clarity wise, so I now have one on the way (from Amazon US marketplace!), but I can't say I've noticed any pixelation on the Euro one?!

Bat-Fan    0
47 minutes ago, Kim said:

This thread reminded me to order a US Girlie Show DVD to see if it's better clarity wise, so I now have one on the way (from Amazon US marketplace!), but I can't say I've noticed any pixelation on the Euro one?!

It is very minor, just a frame here and there, for example when the bright lights suddenly shine between erotica and fever and in fast movement like early Everybody, very minor. Mostly I find the picture really faded.

Starman    0

If we get a version because of M, I believe it will be a mixture of shows MDNA/RH style PONYTAIL/CURLS meltdown