MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Shaun

Favorite Blond Ambition?

118 members have voted

1. 1. Which Blond Ambition city was the best?

Guest bluejean   
Guest bluejean

It's pretty obvious she went for a different look for that show, Heat and humidity don't suddenly transform tight ringlets into a huge poodle-type perm look (a shorter version of which she also sported in Dick Tracy for the most part) The previous show in Vigo her tight curls basically fell out into a straight middle-shed a few songs in, so I think she tried something different here which yes, at various points under that stage lighting, looks like a big ol' afro before it collapses into a stringy mess.

Now, if only they'd continued with the tradition of filming multiple shows, we wouldn't have been stuck with that DWT mullet for prosperity, But that's another story..

One day I pray a Euro leg version of DWT will leak in full. Even a feed from the screens would be to die for. The hair and costumes are so much better (obviously.)

I was also watching Re-invention footage today and I have to say... The gold corset is also waaay better than the purple thing used in IGTTYAS.

ryan    0

Didn't they also record the night before of the DWT HBO broadcast?

hawes-king    0

Mama makeup confirmed a few weeks ago on Instagram that the hair for Barcelona was intended Madonna requested a volumnizer be used on her hair it seems she was trying to replicate the Dick tracy hair.

Guest bluejean   
Guest bluejean

I love that Mama Makeup is discussing this all important detail :lmao: How long I wonder until Lady Gaga requests the 'Barcelona Afro?'

Kim    0

Mama Makeup looks like she's....er...fallen on hard times or something. It's a shame. Glad she cleared up the dumb "humidity" stuff though.

Bat-Fan    0

I wonder if Madonna herself prefers the Japan one were she sounds great and had the ponytail or the more energetic Nice show were she sounds less good and had the curls.

LHakaLH    0

Why weren't the curtains used on the Yokohama show? There's a red velvet curtain that comes down after Where's the Party and gives way to the Like a Virgin Performance. This same curtain comes down after Papa Don't Preach and is present for the entire Dick Tracy act of the show. On Yokohama the curtains were not used; Maybe technical issues?  :wacko:

Shaun    0
13 minutes ago, LHakaLH said:

Why weren't the curtains used on the Yokohama show? There's a red velvet curtain that comes down after Where's the Party and gives way to the Like a Virgin Performance. This same curtain comes down after Papa Don't Preach and is present for the entire Dick Tracy act of the show. On Yokohama the curtains were not used; Maybe technical issues?  :wacko:

Wasn't it because of the intense winds? You can see the candles shaking in the wind and her ponytail flying all over the place.

Cal1974    0

Nice.  I was 16, on my first holiday without my parents to visit friends in America and watched this on HBO.  It is what made me a Madonna fan.  

Pedro    0

Japan!!!

:madonna2:

Bat-Fan    0

There was someone here who said the inhouse version of nice was bad because i saw one called blond ambition nice in-house (remastered audio) it was 4.8 GB and it was great quality. Buch better than those aweful torrent rips of the laser disc. It looked like they did something to the picture because the sharpness was increased a bit and brightness reduced a little. It looked good in my opinion, and remember I am never satisfied.

Nick    0

Always been obsessed with Japan show. Even purchased outdated VHS tape for my collection.

Think will rewatch Nice concert since it was voted best out of the three. 

Bat-Fan    0

I am curious, the ones who prefer the Japan version, why? ☺

Trent    0

I've always preferred the Nice show. What I'd give for it to be officially released.

Shaun    0
On 8/29/2017 at 7:12 AM, Bat-Fan said:

I am curious, the ones who prefer the Japan version, why? ☺

Tighter choreography, iconic hairstyle, funnier banter.

Bat-Fan    0
On 3/18/2017 at 0:55 AM, Shaun said:

Wasn't it because of the intense winds? You can see the candles shaking in the wind and her ponytail flying all over the place.

Yes the wind made it impossible for them to use the curtains, interestingly I find the wind sort of adds to the show rather than take away. It gives a slight dramatic effect. The flying candle-piece in Papa dont preach is a little bit funny.

Bat-Fan    0
12 hours ago, Shaun said:

Tighter choreography, iconic hairstyle, funnier banter.

I agree 100%, also what I find interesting when people are comparing the shows is they say the Nice show is better because it more represents the tour in whole and that the japan show is dull and looks like a dress rehersal with bad lighting and stiff moves. I would like to add that the show very slowly evolved, yes by the time she was in europe it had gotten crazy as we know it from barcelona and Nice but they added all those crazy lights very late in the show and changed certain instrumentation like the brass in EY very late and in my opinion the Nice is overlit with that pink and blue lights. If you watch the japan show and than the US shows, you will see the US shows look much more like the japan recording. So does Nice best represent the tour in general? Truth or Dare is very misleading, she talks about her japan shows and shows the blizard clip with her without costumes and says she cant wait to go to the US to do it properly and then shows a clip from EY in Paris when in real life she got to the US and the show looks like the Yokohama show.

Lolo    0

They should make a cut of all the intermediate talking parts between CAC and WTP from every single show. And add it as bonus to the official BA BlueRay release.

... oh, wait...

Kim    0

20 hours ago, Bat-Fan said:

I agree 100%, also what I find interesting when people are comparing the shows is they say the Nice show is better because it more represents the tour in whole and that the japan show is dull and looks like a dress rehersal with bad lighting and stiff moves. I would like to add that the show very slowly evolved, yes by the time she was in europe it had gotten crazy as we know it from barcelona and Nice but they added all those crazy lights very late in the show and changed certain instrumentation like the brass in EY very late and in my opinion the Nice is overlit with that pink and blue lights. If you watch the japan show and than the US shows, you will see the US shows look much more like the japan recording. So does Nice best represent the tour in general? Truth or Dare is very misleading, she talks about her japan shows and shows the blizard clip with her without costumes and says she cant wait to go to the US to do it properly and then shows a clip from EY in Paris when in real life she got to the US and the show looks like the Yokohama show.

No, no, no, no, no,.

Peter Morse's incredible lighting design for this tour was there from the start. For a number of reasons (mostly the strong wind) the lighting was not diffused properly on the filmed Yokohama show. They also for some bizarre reason failed to place a camera straight-on, wide shot, to capture the staging anyway.

It's also very obvious (in retrospect) that the dance routines had only just been learnt weeks before as they're all still a little stiff. It's true that the audio for the Japan release is mixed properly unlike Nice, but the actual instrumentation is much more basic and without the many flourishes added as the tour went on. Her stage banter in Nice was also the worst of the entire tour, so much funnier on other nights but oh well.

If I could re-edit the Nice show I'd try to get a more even balance of Aldo Micelli's up close moments (the camera moving across her body, hand movements, gestures , facial expressions) and a little less of the David Mallet mid shots. It also needs colour timed and contrast controlled. They should also go back to the original 16 track audio or whatever and create a new mix from the stems. I'm still perplexed as to why they didn't fix the sound in post production for this and just put the unbalanced TV version on the laserdisc. Not that any of  this will ever happen of course...

It's true that they overly brightened the stage for Barcelona and Nice, using the reasoning that videotape registers darker on TV, but they went overboard. Papa don't Preach being a particularly awful example of stage washout. The new pink lights in EY were an aesthetic choice to make the stage pop a bit more but were a bit much.

Truth or Dare is of course the perfect representation of how it looked.

And basing your assertion of what you think the stage looked like from 30 year old camcorder footage on youtube or whatever is completely bogus. The arena shows looked like the following pictures (taken from those very US shows...spot the ponytail) and the stadium shows under ideal conditions looked just the same. Take it from someone who SAW it. As I said before, the pics look an awful lot more like Nice than Yokohama. The fact that Yokohama DOESN'T capture this is what makes it the lesser show....

morse_522.jpg  petermorse_02.jpg

morse_501.jpg  morse_721.jpg

Bat-Fan    0
2 hours ago, Kim said:

No, no, no, no, no,.

Peter Morse's incredible lighting design for this tour was there from the start. For a number of reasons (mostly the strong wind) the lighting was not diffused properly on the filmed Yokohama show. They also for some bizarre reason failed to place a camera straight-on, wide shot, to capture the staging anyway.

It's also very obvious (in retrospect) that the dance routines had only just been learnt weeks before as they're all still a little stiff. It's true that the audio for the Japan release is mixed properly unlike Nice, but the actual instrumentation is much more basic and without the many flourishes added as the tour went on. Her stage banter in Nice was also the worst of the entire tour, so much funnier on other nights but oh well.

If I could re-edit the Nice show I'd try to get a more even balance of Aldo Micelli's up close moments (the camera moving across her body, hand movements, gestures , facial expressions) and a little less of the David Mallet mid shots. It also needs colour timed and contrast controlled. They should also go back to the original 16 track audio or whatever and create a new mix from the stems. I'm still perplexed as to why they didn't fix the sound in post production for this and just put the unbalanced TV version on the laserdisc. Not that any of  this will ever happen of course...

It's true that they overly brightened the stage for Barcelona and Nice, using the reasoning that videotape registers darker on TV, but they went overboard. Papa don't Preach being a particularly awful example of stage washout. The new pink lights in EY were an aesthetic choice to make the stage pop a bit more but were a bit much.

Truth or Dare is of course the perfect representation of how it looked.

And basing your assertion of what you think the stage looked like from 30 year old camcorder footage on youtube or whatever is completely bogus. The arena shows looked like the following pictures (taken from those very US shows...spot the ponytail) and the stadium shows under ideal conditions looked just the same. Take it from someone who SAW it. As I said before, the pics look an awful lot more like Nice than Yokohama. The fact that Yokohama DOESN'T capture this is what makes it the lesser show....

morse_522.jpg  petermorse_02.jpg

morse_501.jpg  morse_721.jpg

Well it is difficult to argue that ☺ The youtube videos dont look anything like those pictures, I also watched that horrible Houston DVD and it looked very much like the Japan show.  Also the instrumentations sounded like the japan one and not nice, like no brass in EY

Kim    0
1 hour ago, Bat-Fan said:

Well it is difficult to argue that ☺ The youtube videos dont look anything like those pictures, I also watched that horrible Houston DVD and it looked very much like the Japan show.  Also the instrumentations sounded like the japan one and not nice, like no brass in EY

Well you can't judge by those tapes that were either from the venue footage that are recorded to showcase Madonna herself and not the stage (the stage is afterall right there for you to look at) or dingy audience camcorders that can't pick up the nuances of concert lighting.

That Houston DVD is a washed out mess anyway and bares no resemblance to the vibrant press pictures from the US opening nights.It's no surprise that the band arrangement sounded similar seeing as Houston was the first stop after Japan.

Lets skip a few weeks to Boston.

Notice how much more vibrant it looks? How the lights are diffused properly through the perfect amount of ambient smoke on stage creating colour and interest in the background rather than empty space? Zoom out to a long shot and you'd see the whole stage beautifully lit and colourful like the above images. There's also strip lighting at the back of the stage that they turned on for Barcelona and Nice (that's put to good use during WTP in particular) but they didn't use it in other shows.

Notice how the instrumentation is already being beefed up, the addition of the electric guitar at the end of LAP being the obvious change from earlier. The great thing about a live band is that that they can switch things up night to night. There are unique elements to all the different pro quality bootlegs we have. There are even differences between Barcelona and Nice days apart. It also depends on how the sound engineer mixes the tracks. Nice was an unholy mess, Barcelona a few night before is better mixed but Madonna's voice is shot, mic feedback issues etc

Bat-Fan    0
43 minutes ago, Kim said:

Well you can't judge by those tapes that were either from the venue footage that are recorded to showcase Madonna herself and not the stage (the stage is afterall right there for you to look at) or dingy audience camcorders that can't pick up the nuances of concert lighting.

That Houston DVD is a washed out mess anyway and bares no resemblance to the vibrant press pictures from the US opening nights.It's no surprise that the band arrangement sounded similar seeing as Houston was the first stop after Japan.

Lets skip a few weeks to Boston.

Notice how much more vibrant it looks? How the lights are diffused properly through the perfect amount of ambient smoke on stage creating colour and interest in the background rather than empty space? Zoom out to a long shot and you'd see the whole stage beautifully lit and colourful like the above images. There's also strip lighting at the back of the stage that they turned on for Barcelona and Nice (that's put to good use during WTP in particular) but they didn't use it in other shows.

Notice how the instrumentation is already being beefed up, the addition of the electric guitar at the end of LAP being the obvious change from earlier. The great thing about a live band is that that they can switch things up night to night. There are unique elements to all the different pro quality bootlegs we have. There are even differences between Barcelona and Nice days apart. It also depends on how the sound engineer mixes the tracks. Nice was an unholy mess, Barcelona a few night before is better mixed but Madonna's voice is shot, mic feedback issues etc

I see what you mean, very interesting, I guess it really was evolving process. I also looked at the Japan show and you are right, the camera angles are missing alot of the interesting lighting due too so many close ups, it is a bit annoying as it could have come out better. About the wind, I am curious to know what you think Kim.  When comparing the shows, some have said Japan show is worse because of the wind, nothing to due with the lighting but people feel it ruined the performance due to her hair and outfit's effect caused by the waether and I guess the dangling candle piece in PDP which I find kind of amusing. Some were annoyed with the missing curtains too. I always liked this wind effect and thought it added to the performance rather than ruining it. What do you think? ☺ I just found it odd how the weather could be such an issue for some.