Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SPM

Favorite Blond Ambition?

110 members have voted

1. 1. Which Blond Ambition city was the best?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

115 posts in this topic

It's on my computer. There was some skepticism but I believe it's the real deal. TVT was also leaked. And FYI it's compressed to pretty ordinary quality, about 4GB in size. But even so it looks noticeably superior to the laserdisc in terms of the color grading and all of that.

And what do you mean by "TV audio mix?" It was released on Laserdisc with that audio mix.

I was referring 2 most uploads I've seen from TV broadcasts...

I was referring 2 most uploads I've seen from TV broadcasts...

Oh okay. Well I've only ever seen the laserdisc version and this other "leaked" version.

The laserdisc version has a very faded looking image. I assume that is what Bat Fan is referring to. Although it is very obviously something that could be fixed for a DVD release. Sound is a good HQ Stereo mix. The only problem with it is that Niki's vocals are often louder than Madonna's. I assume the HBO broadcast suffered the same fate.

Oh okay. Well I've only ever seen the laserdisc version and this other "leaked" version.

The laserdisc version has a very faded looking image. I assume that is what Bat Fan is referring to. Although it is very obviously something that could be fixed for a DVD release. Sound is a good HQ Stereo mix. The only problem with it is that Niki's vocals are often louder than Madonna's. I assume the HBO broadcast suffered the same fate.

yes the Nice show has a dull faded image that bothers me, no sharpness. The Japan image is sharper and clearer.

Looks like Nice is winning. That was my assumption when I created the poll. For many of us, Nice was our first Blond Ambition experience thanks to HBO.

It was my prediction too, we can at least have 3 shows to discuss. 😊 I still favour Japan but all 3 are good

barcelona is comic relief for me, it was just one mistake after another and she was in a shitty mood, and forgot the lyrics in SOL, haha. I love when she says: stop throwing shit at my stage or I will kick your ass

I guess we have a winner

Nice going Japan, underrated show

Where is it? They would never release a DVD with a TV audio mix, that's is impossible.

I do wonder why they just plopped that awful on-the-fly HBO TV mix on the laserdisk. It's possibly the most badly balanced live sound I've ever heard. I can only think that something happened to the multitracks or they had time constraints or something.

Anyway, I'd still pick Nice. Japan is like a dress rehearsal, doesn't showcase the lighting design or staging at all, is filmed like it's for the side screens (which makes sense as it was Aldo Miceli directing, he did a much better job for TGS DVD) there's nothing grand or ballsy or 'Blond Ambition' about it. I do miss the days of multiple recordings though.

Also as has been discussed before by Jamesy, myself etc. The only way to watch the Nice show is via the PAL laserdisk. The NTSC version and the faux-official 'inhouse' DVD look like crap.

I do wonder why they just plopped that awful on-the-fly HBO TV mix on the laserdisk. It's possibly the most badly balanced live sound I've ever heard. I can only think that something happened to the multitracks or they had time constraints or something.

Anyway, I'd still pick Nice. Japan is like a dress rehearsal, doesn't showcase the lighting design or staging at all, is filmed like it's for the side screens (which makes sense as it was Aldo Miceli directing, he did a much better job for TGS DVD) there's nothing grand or ballsy or 'Blond Ambition' about it. I do miss the days of multiple recordings though.

Also as has been discussed before by Jamesy, myself etc. The only way to watch the Nice show is via the PAL laserdisk. The NTSC version and the faux-official 'inhouse' DVD look like crap.

I have a Nice DVD rip that is 100% same quality as the laser disc after 12 years of searching, downloading and buying countless bootlegs

I have a Nice DVD rip that is 100% same quality as the laser disc after 12 years of searching, downloading and buying countless bootlegs

The PAL laserdisc?

I actually bought the best spec player ever released here (second hand via ebay) just to get the best quality DVD rips I could of my Madonna disks. Then sold it on again.

Yes the PAL one of course, you can not imagine the money I have spent to get a DVD that has that laser disc quality, all these bootlegs and downloads out there are aweful and pixled

Even the PAL disk, although a much clearer picture, has problems. I had to dial down some contrast filters when making my disc which made a world of difference. The NTSC has a ridiculous halo/ring around everything and the inhouse DVD (which is obviously just a cleaned up NTSC laserdisk rip complete with side change and dodgy homemade menu from the year 2000) isn't much better.

Anyway, I do think if Paris is completely out of the question, then they could do a decent version of the NIce show if they went back to the original tapes and multitracks. But I've no doubt they are all "lost" as well.

Even the PAL disk, although a much clearer picture, has problems. I had to dial down some contrast filters when making my disc which made a world of difference. The NTSC has a ridiculous halo/ring around everything and the inhouse DVD (which is obviously just a cleaned up NTSC laserdisk rip complete with side change and dodgy homemade menu from the year 2000) isn't much better.

Anyway, I do think if Paris is completely out of the question, then they could do a decent version of the NIce show if they went back to the original tapes and multitracks. But I've no doubt they are all "lost" as well.

Paris is not happening, I would love for a double DVD, one with the japan show and one with the Nice as both of them have high points and low points. I voted for Japan because it has much better sound, sharper picture and better vocals.

Does anyone know when they changed the lighting so drastically because the lighting they used in the japan show looks similiar to the US dates too

Bat-Fan, I agree with you overall that Japan is the superior show...but I would change a few things:

• Add the curtain behind her during Like A Virgin
  • More vocal sass in Express Yourself (this came later on in the tour)
  • The longer pause in Live To Tell that eventually grew to 1:30+
  • Madonna's bitchier attitude from later shows

However, Japan had its pros:

• The ponytail, which is absolutely the better hairstyle
  • Tighter choreography
  • Funnier banter before/during Causing A Commotion

As far as lighting is concerned, I'm not sure if that was something that actually changed or is an illusion based on the quality of video we have.

It is possible they changed in in the european shows, I know they added alot more color lights for the Nice show, so much that the stage looks purple in some numbers.

• Add the curtain behind her during Like A Virgin

Completely forgot about this when watching the show the other day. It was weird seeing the stage being changed as she was on the bed.

Wasn't it because of the insane winds that Japan was experiencing?

Yes it was just the wind, they skipped the curtains in some other outdoor shows too

Does anyone know when they changed the lighting so drastically because the lighting they used in the japan show looks similiar to the US dates too

I'm pretty sure I read something possibly an interview on thebeatswithin that they changed the lighting in Europe in preparation for the filming of Paris. Same with the hairstyle because it was suggested to Madonna that a different hairstyle would look more flattering in the concert footage.

Yes it was just the wind, they skipped the curtains in some other outdoor shows too

Oh that explains why she looks like Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz about to be blown away by a Toronro in some songs

These pics are from the US leg, and as you can see, have much more in common with the Nice footage than Japan. This perspective is one of the things that the Japan show lacks. No decent mid or far camera focused on the stage.

morse_501.jpg

To get the proper effect of stage lighting, you need to diffuse the lights properly. This would have been really hard that night because the wind is basically blowing the smoke from the stage as quickly as the haze machines are producing it, so the light has nothing to 'cut through' leaving the stage looking blank. The Japan show looks colourless because of this. Add in the missing curtains, the stained-glass window flapping in the wind etc... it's just so not what was intended visually.

i read that Peter Morse was brought back in to add lighting for Barcelona and Nice as they thought videotape wouldn't register properly (he also made the point that they added nothing at all for the Truth or Dare footage as 35mm film picks up every little nuance of the lighting) but they did end up overdoing it by basically flooding the stage in yellow/white light and a few strange additions like the pink and purple in Express Yourself. Conversely, he wasn't happy with the WTG live footage, thinking it too blue and cold, which probably explains why he added (too much) yellow for the BA tapings.

Also something I've noticed with her recent tours - whoever is in charge of ambience does a really inconsistent job. Some nights the lights looking perfectly diffused and as intended, others almost non-existent like they haven't bothered to even switch on the haze machines or have them on too low a setting. You can even see it in that Candy Shop clip that leaked. Those lights should be popping and cutting metres through the air, and on some nights they are. You can have the most amazing lighting design ever, but if won't register properly if the ambience people aren't doing their job right.

Love her vocals on the Japan show but love how the show developed when it got to NIce, I wish New Jersey video would leak in full