Failed Military Coup In Turkey And Aftermath

Yes generally the army has been prosecular and prokemalist and anstiislamic.

Yes. Erdogan pushed for antisecularism the most. He's not being forgiven the fact that he's also gotten cosier with Russia again. This has obvious ramifications in regards to the Syrian conflict and the increasing tensions between the US, the EU, NATO, the UN on one side and Russia/China etc on the other.

Trying to make his way to the airport, arranging for Saudi hospitality, surprise

Yes. Erdogan pushed for antisecularism the most. He's not being forgiven the fact that he's also gotten cosier with Russia again. This has obvious ramifications in regards to the Syrian conflict and the increasing tensions between the US, the EU, NATO, the UN on one side and Russia/China etc on the other.

Trying to make his way to the airport, arranging for Saudi hospitality, surprise

One of the reasons I don't like Erdogan, plus he wasn't exactly a democratic and liberal champion himself but I don't know the turkish situation very well, I could be wrong. Do you think Putin is behind this? I wish the best to Turkey and Turkish people by the way.

I hope they successfully get rid of Erdo.

The army is prosecular and he's been taking the country backward. So I hope the army has good intention or the result be for the greater good of people and the region.

One of the reasons I don't like Erdogan, plus he wasn't exactly a democratic and liberal champion himself but I don't know the turkish situation very well, I could be wrong. Do you think Putin is beyond this coup? I wish the best to Turkey and Turkish people by the way.

No I don't think Putin is behind this. Russia's Foreign Secretary has just issued a very telling statement in regard. Ironically all happening while Kerry is currently in Russia. I think the West is cautious but obviously this is a move that brings Turkey closer to a more orthodox attitude from the Western world perspective, so nothing that would favour Putin, if this coup ends like the previous four they've had since the 70s. Meaning the military simply wanted to block the antisecularist agenda, very recently reimplemented by Erdogan.

TV reports of Germany denying permission to land to Erdogan's plane, apparently.

I'm not sure this is a good thing at all. As much as a ruthless dictator Erdogan is, doesn't he enjoy support from huge chunks of Turkey's population? I really doubt if this coup works out everyone is just going to accept it and move on...

I'm all for having dictators like him removed from power but I really really doubt a state coup is a good idea :sneaky:

CNN Turk is reporting on a clash between the civilians and the soldiers. Soldiers opened fire at the Bosphorus Bridge. Details incoming.

#BREAKING: Heavy gunshots heard in #Istanbul & #Ankara cities as military coup underway in Turkey.

1:26 AM Local Time, Mosques are playing Ezan (call to prayer) in Istanbul too. Unusual for this hour of the day.

Report: Erdogan seeking British asylum after German refusal

https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/754079276497047552?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

No I don't think Putin is behind this. Russia's Foreign Secretary has just issued a very telling statement in regard. Ironically all happening while Kerry is currently in Russia. I think the West is cautious but obviously this is a move that brings Turkey closer to a more orthodox attitude from the Western world perspective, so nothing that would favour Putin, if this coup ends like the previous four they've had since the 70s. Meaning the military simply wanted to block the antisecularist agenda, very recently reimplemented by Erdogan.

TV reports of Germany denying permission to land to Erdogan's plane, apparently.

He is trying to escape. Apparently Iran denied him to use their air space too.

im going to post this from Reddit so theres no confused people

Quote:
Turkey's military does not answer to its president like many other countries. They serve to maintain the vision of the country's founder.

The current president of Turkey has been pushing more and more islamist-focused laws (control of the media, things like that). This goes against the secular-focus of the country's founding.

The military has decided the president needs to be removed, and have staged a coup to accomplish this. This is not unique in Turkey's history, their military has done this a few times in the past for the same reasons. Presumably, the military's goal is to put someone more secular in power of the government.

The police in Turkey work for the government. So they are fighting against the military currently.

I'm not sure this is a good thing at all. As much as a ruthless dictator Erdogan is, doesn't he enjoy support from huge chunks of Turkey's population? I really doubt if this coup works out everyone is just going to accept it and move on...

I'm all for having dictators like him removed from power but I really really doubt a state coup is a good idea :sneaky:

I totally get what you mean. And therein lies the dilemma in the response of "The West". It could potentially fuel more radicalism. Turkey is fundamental for the refugee crisis and the Syrian conflict and a wider narrative of Sunni VS Shia countries, Israel, Russia and how our governments play this like a fiddle in order to reach a deeper goal against Russia, China,Iran. You can't expect to oppose dictatorship in a selective manner, based on the convenience of the moment and then detach yourself from the consequences. Which is what they have done to Iraq, deliberately creating a dangerous vacuum and justifying it with a bunch of lies, then Libia (only 6 months before Gaddafi was welcomed in Europe like a hero, talk about schizophrenia) and what they are now doing in their antagonisation of Assad. All proxy conflicts hiding the real, final target areas.

Cheering up for the military coup and supporting democracy, how contradictional !!!

anyway, the turkish military is a securlarist fashist institution. Sayin they are better than Erdogan is wrong.

I hope tomorrow I can wake up and fly to Istanbul and do my business as usual. Turkey doesnt need this kind of stuff. Turkey is strong and will overcome this little situation as well.

Cheering up for the military coup and supporting democracy, how contradictional !!!

anyway, the turkish military is a securlarist fashist institution. Sayin they are better than Erdogan is wrong.

I hope tomorrow I can wake up and fly to Istanbul and do my business as usual. Turkey doesnt need this kind of stuff. Turkey is strong and will overcome this little situation as well.

I don´t know anythin g about turkish´s political situation, but, knowing nothing, yes, I go against the militar coups...

again, I know nothing about it.

Hopefully this coup doesn't turn into a nasty civil war. Wishing you the best, especially for your upcoming trip.

The situation is fucked up. A military run government is nothing to aspire to but if Erdogan remains in power he will use this to amass even more power and turn Turkey into an islamic state. Say goodbye to all kinds of freedoms or what's left of it. Atatürk is rolling in his grave as we speak. Turkey may survive this coup but I wonder what happens once the Turkish economy crashes. How much has tourism declined already? 50%? 60%? Summer season is about to start. Beaches will be more empty than they already are. I bet travel agencies are already working overtime processing the floods of cancellations coming in. The tide will finally turn when people feel Erdogans mismanagement in their pockets. But it will be too late. Because then Erdogan will show how evil he truly is and will act in true dictator manner.

Breaking News: Talks about Turkey joing the EU postponed to 2080.

Hopefully this coup doesn't turn into a nasty civil war. Wishing you the best, especially for your upcoming trip.

thank you dear.

No worries, there aint no a civil war. Social media is just hyper exagerating and there is much wrong informations out there. In hypertension times, its good to stay calm and not play the drama queen