Terrorist attack of the day Nice, France

BREAKING: At least 30 dead in Nice as lorry 'driven into' Bastille Day crowd in 'attack' AT LEAST 30 people have been killed and 100 more injured in the southern French city of Nice tonight after a lorry was "deliberately driven" into a crowd out celebrating Bastille Day on a public promenade in a suspected "attack".

French news agency AFP reported that police are investigating a possible terrorist "attack" and there were unconfirmed reports of the sound of gunfire from the scene.

It is thought that police officers desperately fired on the truck as it was "deliberately driven" at people leaving a major bank holiday fireworks celebration.

Witnesses said the truck "rammed" the crowd where it was thickest at more than 30mph, and images emerged of the cab riddled with bullets.

Crowds had packed out the city's main promenade to watch a fireworks display marking Bastille Day, a major public holiday in France, and were beginning to head home when the lorry hit.

One witness reported horrific scenes with "dead bodies everywhere" and distressing video footage emerged of people fleeing the Promenade des Anglais, in the southern French city, in terror.

And pictures posted on social media, far too graphic to publish, showed bodies strewn across the road in a scene of total devastation.

One eyewitnessed raised fears that the incident "had to be planned".

They said: "I'm in Nice and cannot describe the situation - scary awful. Dead bodies everywhere people killed in front of my eyes. Had to be planned."

A group of students who were on the Promenade des Anglais at the time of the incident.

One of them, Anthony, said: “The fireworks ended, and we went back.

“At that time we saw the white truck. A 6 tonne truck. It was speeding at 60 km/h, 70km/h.

"I saw behind the wheel, the driver was deciding which way it was heading. The truck rolled on to the pavement.

“It happened two meters from us. I saw people lying on the ground, I saw a small child hit the earth.”

A reporter for the Nice Matin newspaper who was covering the celebrations added: “There are people in blood, probably full of wounded.”

Local paper Nice Matin posted a photograph online of the white truck riddled with bullets, suggesting that police fired at the driver as it careered into the crowds. The local mayor has confirmed the death toll is in the dozens and has urged people to stay in their homes.

A witness told the paper: “We had just crossed the road and there was a huge crowd of people. We were returning and we heard ‘boom, boom, boom’ and we saw a lorry on the promenade which ploughed right through.

“My son was there right next to it. It hit where the crowd was thickest and was travelling very quickly - about 50km per hour (31mph)."

Another witness said: "He drove over everyone, everyone is bleeding. There are loads of people injured without doubt."

The driver is believed to have been killed in the incident, possibly after being hit by bullets fired by police.

A hashtag was also started up on Twitter - #portesouvertesnice - for shellshocked witnesses and victims of the attack looking for somewhere to spend the night.

There will be fears tonight that France has been targeted by yet another horrific terrorist attack, coming after last November's slaughter in Paris by Islamic State (ISIS) gunmen.

France is still in a State of Emergency following those attacks, when almost 150 people were murdered by Islamic State and Al-Qaeda operatives.

ISIS is well known for using vehicles in terrorist attacks, often packing them with explosives for maximum effect.

Bastille Day, which celebrates the storming of the Bastille prison in Paris during the French Revolution of 1789, is the country's biggest public holiday.

More to follow.

Oh gosh, I've just heard about it few minutes ago. Why always in France? RIP to all the victims. It's really getting out of control.

Oh gosh, I've just heard about it few minutes ago. Why always in France? RIP to all the victims. It's really getting out of control.

it´s in the middle of europe, realñly difficult to control, I guess...this is shit.Apparently there are a few people kidnapped

I've just turned on the news.

I don't think there are anymore words now.

Hasn't France been involved in Syria? I thought that was the main trigger for these attacks.

60 people dead?

BBC currently saying 30 with 100 injured

Also mentioned there may be gunmen on the loose as sounds of gunfire but not certain.

Guest Mauro

the spanish tv are talking about kidnapped people in a hotel

Oh, god, I hope that isn't true. I guess with it being a holiday tho, they should have been on high alert. This was the perfect time for a terrorist to strike.

People are mistaking gunfires with firecrackers, it's Bastille day here. I may be far from Nice but every firecracker that explodes outside makes my heart implode. It's scary.

BBC saying that gunman might be attacking the crowd and had previously mentioned accomplices on the run and 60 dead now.

Just horrible.

People are mistaking gunfires with firecrackers, it's Bastille day here. I may be far from Nice but every firecracker that explodes outside makes my heart implode. It's scary.

yes.Apparently there was a fire near the eiffel tower, and some peole are saying on twitter that was another attack...and same with the kidnapping.Some of the terrorists may be inside the hotels trying to escape, but there are not kidnappings...

Guest Mauro

yes.Apparently there was a fire near the eiffel tower, and some peole are saying on twitter that was another attack...and same with the kidnapping.Some of the terrorists may be inside the hotels trying to escape, but there are not kidnappings...

:hurt:

If you wanna help people in Nice (a lot of english speaking tourists there at the moment) go on Twitter look for the hashtag #PortesOuvertesNice and RT people opening their doors to people stranded outside (hotels have shut their doors and some people are far away from their home). Some people are looking for a place to stay other are offering a place to stay. Help us putting them in contact by RTing them.

About the Eiffel Tower it's a truck carrying fireworks for Bastille Day. There are no words about what happenned but it seems like it's just an accident.

that´s what they are saying. Le figaro says that Isis is behind the attack.

and that they had weapons inside the truck