Tragic train crash in Italy.

It happened very close to where I live :sneaky: RIP to all the victims.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36774059

Twenty people have been killed and dozens more hurt in a head-on collision involving two passenger trains in southern Italy, officials say.

The two trains were on a single-track line at the time of the crash, between the coastal towns of Bari and Barletta.

Emergency services are trying to free passengers from wrecked carriages near the town of Andria.

One of those rescued from the wreckage was a small child, who was airlifted to hospital.

Local authorities have appealed for blood donors to come forward.

Media captionFootage from Sky Italia and Rai TV shows emergency crews arriving at the train crash site

It was unclear what led to the collision, which happened in good weather at 11:30 local time (09:30 GMT) in the southern region of Apulia.

A local prosecutor in nearby Trani said it was too early to speculate on the cause, although human error was likely to have been a factor.

_90364130_italy_crash2.png

The number of people that were on the trains was also not immediately available.

Italian reports said one of the trains had come from Andria, and the other from Corato, a short distance to the south-east. Both were travelling at high speed.

'Worst scene of my life'

Both trains had four carriages and images from the fire service showed wreckage strewn across a large area. Some of the carriages were so badly damaged there was little left but debris.

Corato Mayor Massimo Mazzilli said the damage was so extensive it was as if a plane had crashed.

_90363826_2a7145bc-b85b-48ac-b644-71081bImage copyrightEPAImage captionThe trains were travelling at high speed_90363830_afa0bf57-6f79-44a3-b002-285457Image copyrightEPAImage captionScores of passengers were injured

Rescuers set up a field hospital at the scene to help care for the large number of wounded passengers.

"The situation is dramatic," Antonio Nunziante, from the local civil defence, told Ansa news agency.

An unnamed man who was one of the first to arrive at the scene said it was "the worst scene of my life".

_90363828_9b355f0c-8ba2-48fc-aeaf-0b0ec2Image copyrightEPAImage captionFirefighters are trying to free trapped passengers

Prime Minister Matteo Renzi interrupted a trip to Milan after the crash and returned to Rome. He has promised a thorough investigation.

The line, managed by Ferrotramviaria, is used by thousands of people daily on about 200 trains. Work is under way to make it a double-track line.

Italy's deadly train accidents

June 2009: Freight train carrying liquefied petroleum gas derails in Viareggio, causing a large explosion. More than 30 people die

January 2005: A head-on collision between a passenger and a freight train near Crevalcore kills 17

July 2002: A passenger train derails in Rometta Messina, killing eight people

April 1978: Two trains collide near a ravine next to Murazze Vado. Some of the carriages fall into the gorge, killing 42

Sources: Ansa, Corriere della Sera

Apulia regional leader Mario Loizzo said he was "deeply shaken" by the crash.

Italy's FS state rail operator expressed its condolences to the dead and wounded.

Earlier this year, 11 people died on a single track in southern Germany when two trains collided head-on at Bad Aibling near the Austrian border. Investigators said a signal controller had mistakenly allowed both trains to use the line, disabling an automatic safety system.

there are other civilized nations with so many one way rails (almost concentrated in the south)?

and the (EU) funds where ready for that layout since 2007.....

but thanks to burocracy we have 27 deaths and counting (and probably no one willp pay)

RIP to al the victims

there are other civilized nations with so many one way rails (almost concentrated in the south)?

and the (EU) funds where ready for that layout since 2007.....

but thanks to burocracy we have 27 deaths and counting (and probably no one willp pay)

RIP to al the victims

27 deaths (until now) and 50 injured. ..it's so dreadful. I mostly blame our stupid and corrupted politicians who have considered Tav and alta velocità (high speed) a priority, while the railsystem especially in the South, the most neglected part of the country since the Unification of the country in 1861, is so obsolete or almost non existant. .And oh yes, don't even get me started with burocracy in Italy and its biblical times. ..Italia, such a beautiful, but messed up country in many aspects. ..

well TAV is and should be a priority; the funds for railsystem are there but we're unable to use it...that's the sad truth....

Of course it should be, but I think we should start with making more modern and safe the railsystem, but like you said we are unable to use the funds properly most of the times

The need for blood in hospitals was suddenly satisfied yesterday! Lots of blood donors in Apulia (and from other parts of Italy as well)! :clap::clap::clap: Vigili del fuoco did an amazing job after the accident. First aids were prompt and efficient. This is the Italy I love. :inlove:

1852066_sangueok.jpg

Many corpses are unrecognizable for an obvious reason...I feel sick :confused: