Alton Sterling, Philando Castile, police shootings. :(

To all the people here terrified of firearms: have you ever held one and or fired a weapon? Have you been taught the very simple rules of safety by an experienced person? Let me guess.............no.

The fear is just because of the unknown and what the media shoves down your throats. If you have some 'moral' objection to them, that's fine, but understand what your fears are based on.

I know a lot about firearms. That's why I'm fearful of a society that allows them and has people who thinks that a killing machine is a right!!!

The thing about the shootings is that racism aside...these police officers are abusing their position of power! They should not only lose their job but should be blocked from any public service jobs in the future. They should be given a jail sentence!!! The racist issue of America is much deeper than the police force and needs to be tackled properly. There needs to be a cultural change not just a policy.

I know a lot about firearms. That's why I'm fearful of a society that allows them and has people who thinks that a killing machine is a right!!!

Just to be clear.. You know a lot about firearms because you have personal experience shooting them OR just reading about them online?

I've never met a gun owner that is 'terrified' of guns. They have a healthy respect for them. That's it.

The thing about the shootings is that racism aside...these police officers are abusing their position of power! They should not only lose their job but should be blocked from any public service jobs in the future. They should be given a jail sentence!!! The racist issue of America is much deeper than the police force and needs to be tackled properly. There needs to be a cultural change not just a policy.

This! It's pretty scary. Personally I think that police officers should shoot just in extreme cases when their lives (or other people's lives) are actually really in danger. They killed too many people that were just harmless and often didn't even have guns with them.... :sneaky:

What the hell it's like we're getting a new viral video each day of a U.S. cop shooting somebody dead with excessive force or just plain cold blood!

One can only hope that the fact they're being recorded and people are finally seeing it that it will wake up this society to the brutal REALITY of how this system truly works.

One can only hope that the fact they're being recorded and people are finally seeing it that it will wake up this society to the brutal REALITY of how this system truly works.

They should be charged with murder. All of the evidence is there on film.

Someone rang in to Radio 2 on Friday and said they were with their black husband in Brooklyn and they drove off and got stopped for some minor car problem; the husband was asked to show his ID and when he went to get it, the policeman shot him in the arm. The policeman said he thought he was going for a gun.

Utter joke. It's like the police are deliberately doing it to make a point of their power. I'm still utterly shocked at the number of deaths for what are just minor offenses.

The racist issue of America is much deeper than the police force and needs to be tackled properly. There needs to be a cultural change not just a policy.

That will never happen.

Racism IS a fundamental part of American culture.

I appreciate the positive thinking though.

Someone rang in to Radio 2 on Friday and said they were with their black husband in Brooklyn and they drove off and got stopped for some minor car problem; the husband was asked to show his ID and when he went to get it, the policeman shot him in the arm. The policeman said he thought he was going for a gun.

Utter joke. It's like the police are deliberately doing it to make a point of their power. I'm still utterly shocked at the number of deaths for what are just minor offenses.

So many cases of DWB, it's fucking unreal.

It's not about guns, or cops.

SOME people are afraid of others that do not look like them. SOME people think they're entitled to more freedoms than others. SOME people hold tight to generational prejudices to make themselves feel empowered.

These recent tragedies are just examples of a bigger underlying problem that has ALWAYS existed in this country from day one. At least now, SOME of us are able to talk about it openly.

It's not gonna change.

SOME people are afraid of others that do not look like them. SOME people think they're entitled to more freedoms than others. SOME people hold tight to generational prejudices to make themselves feel empowered.

These recent tragedies are just examples of a bigger underlying problem that has ALWAYS existed in this country from day one. At least now, SOME of us are able to talk about it openly.

It's not gonna change.

There is so much to this problem, I don't think we can nail down one exact cause.

What I do wish is that there could be more crisis training, more emphasis on mental health (I mean, it doesn't help when your job is one where you are constantly fearing for you life), especially more awareness of PTSD for those in law enforcement. I don't see how one can expect to keep a level head and maintain the utmost standard of professionalism having a job like that. That line of work has got to fuck with your head.

Also curious if a psychological profile is done on those wanting to enter the police academy? I mean, how do some of these fuckers even get in?

It's not gonna change.

Yes, but in a way it is about guns. You can't change what is in people's minds and hearts, but you can stop them from acting on those prejudices if they don't have access to weapons.

A lot of people in Europe have racist thoughts and don't like people who don't look like them. Wasn't that behind the Brexit vote? So it's not purely an American problem, but a global problem.

But in a lot of other countries, guns aren't so easily available so even if you hate people who aren't like you, it's not as easy to act on it in a violent way.

Have you guys read about Deray Mckesson who is gay and part of Black Lives Matter who got arrested for no reason during a New Orleans protest yesterday? First the cops said they arrested him cuz he was on the street (you aren't supposed to be on a street during a protest or something) then when they found out he wasn't they changed their story and said he was arrested cuz he was on private property. I saw another video of a woman speaking very politely to a reporter and she suddenly got grabbed by cops and arrested as well

/sidenote a lot of hetero black men on social media dropped their support of him after finding out he was gay

Guest Rachelle of London

Have you guys read about Deray Mckesson who is gay and part of Black Lives Matter who got arrested for no reason during a New Orleans protest yesterday? First the cops said they arrested him cuz he was on the street (you aren't supposed to be on a street during a protest or something) then when they found out he wasn't they changed their story and said he was arrested cuz he was on private property. I saw another video of a woman speaking very politely to a reporter and she suddenly got grabbed by cops and arrested as well

/sidenote a lot of hetero black men on social media dropped their support of him after finding out he was gay

I remember it came out he was gay when he ran for mayor of Baltimore. But he's never hidden it. These people that aren't supporting him are clearly bandwagon jumpers who know nothing about Deray and BLM.

These are the LOCAL police dressed like Call of Duty handling peaceful protestors in Baton Rouge :rolleyes:

2j32wq9.jpg

......this country.........

I thought police were resorting to tasers more a few years ago to avoid being trigger happy with guns?

If they thought these men were such a "threat" I am not saying they had the right to use a taser gun on them either since its obvious they weren't trying to pull guns and shoot them, but it would have stunned them just enough to the point where things could have gotten more "under control". Especially the man being tackled to the ground. If instead of pulling out a gun executing him right then and there, he instead pulled out a taser his life would have probably been spared.

Or even pepper spray!

Again I am not saying these things are right to use in every instance either, but how we got to the point where if you make one minor wrong move the first response of the cop is to pull his gun and blow you away is insanity. It should ALWAYS be the last resort.

Guest eroticerotic

i must say, not all law enforcement is unethical.

this issue can not be generalized between all cops and all blacks.

a lot of my family is in law enforcement from all cop rankings, to fbi. they are a hard working crew and give back to the communities. and I'm nervous that all cops will now be seen as targets, and that someone i know will be attacked due to all this chaos. someone consumed with rage will not say, for example "oh, hey he helped open a homeless shelter that got many people off the streets and back to work; let me not attack him."

one of the problems i assume is how they hire law enforcement. however, from first hand experience, there are good law enforcers out there that go above and beyond to project and help.

Just to be clear.. You know a lot about firearms because you have personal experience shooting them OR just reading about them online?

I've never met a gun owner that is 'terrified' of guns. They have a healthy respect for them. That's it.

I've only shot rifles. To be fair I don't own a handgun or a semi automatic machine gun but yes...I know first hand the power of guns. I'm not terrified of guns. I'm terrified of a society/culture that accepts them as appropriate for the common person. It's idiotic. My friend said when she was staying at a lake house in the US there were batons for protection against Bears. So...batons for Bears and a custom M16 for people? Okay then.

That will never happen.

Racism IS a fundamental part of American culture.

I appreciate the positive thinking though.

I disagree. The people of America have been taught that it can't happen by a small but very influential group of people. America needs a reboot as it were. Criminal activities should be tackled equally regardless of race or creed. Opportunities should be equal regardless of race or creed. Most importantly people need to open their minds snd stop living in fear! Growing up I thought America was so forward thinking but now I realise that it's one of the most BACKWARDS places on Earth.