Inside London's New £15 Billion Railway Line

XXL

London's traffic is notoriously awful, but relief is on the way in the form of Crossrail, a massive expansion of the London Underground. The 11-year, £15 billion project will add 60 miles of track and 10 new stations, bringing mass transit to an additional 1.5 million people. Will Crossrail solve London's traffic problem? Bloomberg's Sam Grobart investigates.

:wow:

Tell us more

Erm.... to be honest, I haven't really asked as I don't live in London so it doesn't affect me! I did have a moan because I think they removed some mosaics from Tottenham Court Road and I've seen some pictures he took when he visited - it's huge down there but that's about it!

Just checked, the mosaics were saved! They were by an Italian, Eduardo Paolozzi

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jul/31/eduardo-paolozzi-tottenham-court-road-mosaics-saved-edinburgh-university

Guest Rachelle of London

The new Tottenham Court Road is massive. They definitely saved the mosaics. There was a documentary about the team that were brought in to remove them one by one and put them back. It was the mosaics that delayed the reopening of the station :lmao:

I don't get how more trains are gonna be going into Paddington though. The station can't cope as it is

On 5/7/2016 at 1:44 PM, jonski43 said:

Erm.... to be honest, I haven't really asked as I don't live in London so it doesn't affect me! I did have a moan because I think they removed some mosaics from Tottenham Court Road and I've seen some pictures he took when he visited - it's huge down there but that's about it!

Just checked, the mosaics were saved! They were by an Italian, Eduardo Paolozzi

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jul/31/eduardo-paolozzi-tottenham-court-road-mosaics-saved-edinburgh-university

Oh I see  :lol:

Good to know Jonski, thanks. Last time I was in London TCR station was still closed.

It really looks like a monumental change

Hopefully it will indeed improve the traffic situation

• 3 months later...

Its not even needed is it?

The same as the new link to the North costing billions to get to Leeds. Oh you save 40 mins. Errrm??? Thats nothing, flights are cheaper and who goes to fucking Leeds?

On 04/07/2016 at 11:32 AM, Rachelle of London said:

When this is completed I will be a millionaire 💅🏿

Dont forget me!!! I make your cups of teas and plump up your cushions. I could be your travel consultant and telly planner assistant. Just dont ask me to cook. Or get dressed or work. Oooh I do faces too, but your skins too good.

The Center Point/Tottenham Court Road junction area is totally unrecognizable... went there a couple of weeks ago, hadn't been in that area in a long while. They turned a good chunk of Soho, New Oxford Street into a mediocre downtown area, with no real sense of identity and far too many ugly monstrosities. Fucking ugly architecture, it's really bad!

I know that many gay venues are gone anyway, some long gone since the above mentioned areas have been urban-uglizied, but it is shocking that there is very little left of the gay culture in central London.... so utterly sad, so unfair :/

24 minutes ago, pjcowley said:

The Center Point/Tottenham Court Road junction area is totally unrecognizable... went there a couple of weeks ago, hadn't been in that area in a long while. They turned a good chunk of Soho, New Oxford Street into a mediocre downtown area, with no real sense of identity and far too many ugly monstrosities. Fucking ugly architecture, it's really bad!

I know that many gay venues are gone anyway, some long gone since the above mentioned areas have been urban-uglizied, but it is shocking that there is very little left of the gay culture in central London.... so utterly sad, so unfair :/

Blame Grindr. I think someone at this forum shared an article once about how Grindir and social dating is basically ruining the gay bar scene. 

I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with this. Gay nightlife will always exist, and I think it's kind of cool that bars and clubs are becoming more mixed and less exclusively straight/gay, but it is kind of sad to see a lot of gay bars shut down.

I think it is definitely wrong when a gay club's landlord increases the rent by 50% forcing the club owner to shut down for good. Real estate speculation, never mind cultural identity to be preserved and enhanced, as long as people can have their Starfuck, Pret a Barfer and £££££ (un)affordable condos, who gives a shit about historic venues wiped out from the face of a (once) exciting capital city?

7 minutes ago, pjcowley said:

I think it is definitely wrong when a gay club's landlord increases the rent by 50% forcing the club owner to shut down for good. Real estate speculation, never mind cultural identity to be preserved and enhanced, as long as people can have their Starfuck, Pret a Barfer and £££££ (un)affordable condos, who gives a shit about historic venues wiped out from the face of a (once) exciting capital city?

Oh, that's a different story. Welcome to this century. Every single city around the world is driving up prices through the roof and kicking out the poor. Central London seems impossible to live in unless you're like... an investor or... a stock... person. 

19 hours ago, Starman said:

Never thought about that but it makes totally sense

It's more to do with council closing bars and nightclubs for dubious reasons but basically to force them out so they can sell the properties to developers. If you go to Soho, the places are packed! Various gay establishments have closed including Madame Jojo's closed which was an institution. There's a save Soho from gentrification trying to fight this but you can see what's happening. The Fabric nightclub is another casualty of this using the excuse of two dying from drugs in the last few months to shut it. 

My friend's working on Crossrail II ie. North to South but that's still in the planning phase.