Another reason to detest Rupert Murdoch

I think everyone on this forum would know of my intense hatred of Rupert Murdoch. I don't like hating people but he is one person I freely admit to hating. The way he has pushed his agendas for years through owning so much of the world's press is frightening and so under-estimated. I could go on about his wriggling out of the phone hacking scandal - that stuff with Rebekah Brooks was the biggest set up of all time to get him off. Not to mention how his papers all hire right wing writers who are racist, sexist and hate unions with a passion.

To top it all off, he owns so much of the worldwide press, both print and television. He gloated about the coverage of the Sydney siege and did not even mention the 2 people that were killed when he tweeted that they got all the news first. He used to tweet about his hatred of Julia Gillard as well.

O'h and he owns Fox news and the NY post. Says it all.

By rights, this amoral old toad should be rotting in prison right now after the hacking scandal that he knew about and condoned, but money talks.

I still can't believe Jerry Hall married him.

I almost hope he hangs on for a few years yet...just to spite that shameless gold-digging whore.

I still can't believe Jerry Hall married him.

By rights, this amoral old toad should be rotting in prison right now after the hacking scandal that he knew about and condoned, but money talks.

I almost hope he hangs on for a few years yet...just to spite that shameless gold-digging whore.

I find comfort in picturing her changing his diapers.

indeed, infortunately.

Murdoch is ratcheting up a karma payment that is going to be a real bitch. One day, his plans and schemes will blow up in his face.

I hope you are right. I think he will die before his evil ways are exposed.

Australians should tell him to fuck off, after all he took the american citizenship.

Australians hate him with a passion. We are ashamed of him.

Even his own mother did not like him and was ashamed of how he took his father's legacy and cheapened newspapers. She was horrified when he introduced page 3 girls and also turned papers into tabloids. She was highly respected and used to do lots of charity work with disadvantaged people and gave money to hospitals. It was well known about her disgust for his morals and principles.

I know. I used to like Jerry Hall. thought she was bright and interesting when I heard her interviewed. However, lost all respect for her when she married him.

He should be in jail. Seems to just get away with everything.

He is trash.

Him and his ilk are responsible for dumbing down SOOOOOOOO many people. Trump being the republican nominee is evidence of that. The republican base has been dumbed down so much that Trump is their guy. Says it all really.

Guest Mauro

The longer he hangs on, the longer WE ALL suffer.

Poor old Wendy Deng. Remember when she jumped a few tables or something and bitch slapped someone who offended Rupert :) Jazzy you better watch out Jerry does not do the same to you ;)

Poor old Wendy Deng. Remember when she jumped a few tables or something and bitch slapped someone who offended Rupert :) Jazzy you better watch out Jerry does not do the same to you ;)

Ivy, I will keep a watch out for her.

Gee, imagine if Rupert was to somehow read this thread. I might disappear off the face of the Earth. :nervous:

Guest Mauro

Wendy's wanking Putin now. She has a thing for evil.

Ivy, I will keep a watch out for her.

Gee, imagine if Rupert was to somehow read this thread. I might disappear off the face of the Earth. :nervous:

I heard Rupert frequently posts here at Madonnanation, watch out Jazzy ;) your account has been hacked ;)

So in Australia Liberal is actually a right wing party? Sorry I'm not familiar with Australian politics...

And yes I agree with everything youre saying... This man owns half the world press.. It's appaling they're talking about democracy and free press but then you have the elite controlling what's passed on to the masses! No wonder people are becoming more and more ignorant and bigots.. They're fed lies and half truths everyday!

So in Australia Liberal is actually a right wing party? Sorry I'm not familiar with Australian politics...

And yes I agree with everything youre saying... This man owns half the world press.. It's appaling they're talking about democracy and free press but then you have the elite controlling what's passed on to the masses! No wonder people are becoming more and more ignorant and bigots.. They're fed lies and half truths everyday!

Yes MeakMaker, our conversative party is called the Liberal party which is quite comical. . The election is on Saturday.

• 3 years later...

Democracy overboard: Rupert Murdoch's long war on Australian politics

Kevin Rudd

Australia has become a dangerously complacent country, dancing to the reactionary tune of the Murdoch press

Australia has become the complacent country. Complacent about its future economic competitiveness. Complacent about climate change. Complacent about how to navigate our future in the region given China’s rise, America’s response and a neighbourhood increasingly torn between the two. Complacent too about the gradual erosion of our democracy itself through a growing “pay for play” culture from financial donations to political parties, an increasing assault on the independence of the public service and the abuse of monopolistic media power.

The latter, in particular, is perverting our national politics, undermining the public commons on which the nation can conduct a balanced policy debate on our national future. The Murdoch media has mutated to become a cancerous growth on our democracy. It no longer even pretends to be a media organisation, separating out news coverage from editorial option. Instead it has become a de facto political party prosecuting its own ideological and economic interests, acting as an effective coalition partner of the Liberal party.  ( The liberal party is actually the name of the conservative party in Australia ) 

You don’t have to be a Rhodes scholar to work out that since 2007 through to 2010, 2013, 2016 and 2019, the Murdoch media, representing some 70% of the nation’s total print media, has hated the Australian Labor party’s guts. More broadly, they despise the progressive left. And they will do anything within their power to keep Labor out of office.

Even in 2007, when some Murdoch mastheads technically endorsed me in their pre-election editorials, Murdoch’s tabloids for the year prior to that election did everything they could to destroy my leadership through one series of personal accusations of scandal, misdemeanour or corruption after another. No Liberal leader has been subjected to anything similar, but it has become routine for Labor leaders. Once they failed and Murdoch concluded that a Labor win was unavoidable, that’s when the technical, pre-election “editorial” endorsement was deployed to put themselves on the right side of history.

If you look at Murdoch’s election “news” coverage during the 2007 campaign, it was at best 50-50. Roll the clock to 2010 and 2013, it was more like 80-20 against Labor. Then 90-10 in 2016. And in 2019 it was 100-0, when all pretence of being a news organisation was finally given up. And Murdoch’s print dominance in this country bleeds into both radio and television and through to social media.

The Murdoch beast itself is deeply ideological. Its papers conducted a relentless campaign against any form of economic stimulus during the global financial crisis, arguing that financial markets would magically self-correct. Its far right agenda on climate change is clear to all. Murdoch’s mastheads are driving Australia’s national China hysteria with “Reds under every bed” rapidly morphing into the “Yellow Peril”, as one giant throwback to 1950s McCarthyism, where any dissenting views are attacked as being in Beijing’s pocket. The Murdoch media – in Australia, the US and in the UK – led the charge to go to war in Iraq in 2003; 16 years later we are still paying the price in Iraq, Syria and an emboldened Iran. In the UK, Murdoch backed  Brexit. In the US, Murdoch’s Fox has been the great Trump enabler. Indeed, without Fox, it’s doubtful Trump would have been elected.

The Murdoch commercial agenda in the 2013 election was also on full display. My government had advanced a fibre optic to the premises NBN across Australia as part of a $42bn plan. Murdoch was determined to kill it because it represented a threat to his only significant profit centre left in Australia, the Fox cable entertainment network. Why? Because the NBN we were building would enable Foxtel competitors such as Netflix to provide direct entertainment products to the home. Which is why Murdoch did a deal with the Liberals to kill it by turning fibre optic to the premises into fibre optic to the node, thereby leaving the last bit of the NBN unconnected unless customers were willing to pay for it. This has left Australia’s broadband one of the slowest and least reliable in the world. Denials by Murdoch executives, or by their Liberal party accomplices, are unbelievable.

Murdoch’s agenda is patently ideological, commercial and of course political. But it is also global. Across much of the Anglosphere, these debates occur in parallel. But interestingly not in Canada – because Murdoch is not in Canada.

And for those who think it will all expire when Rupert dies, there’s another Murdoch in waiting. Lachlan is every bit as conservative as his father, including being a climate change denier. Murdoch has cultivated an atmosphere of fear in Australia. Debating Murdoch’s power has long been effectively off-limits. Politicians, academics, corporates, even journalists and commentators from other news organisations are fearful for their own reputations, because they know from experience that Murdoch’s editorial henchmen will come after anyone who attacks them, with a view to shredding the offender’s reputation. Murdoch editors see no need to correct the record when they print inaccuracies or just make stories up. After all, who is going to have the guts to challenge them? Which is why we have such a deafening national silence in this country on the problem which dare not speak its name: Murdoch.

Yeah WHY (aside from Bezos?) the fuq aren't these dopey lefty loons like Tom Steyer not spending a *fraction of his gabillions on media empires, newspapers etc...Instead, he's literally burning and pissing $ on these parody vanity campaigns! Bloomberg too! Could buy Fox f'king news and Sinclair (to start). Would be chump change to him. W/ these faar right gazillionares it is NOT about money- all about POWER. And they're getting it very effectively via OWNING most of the media and dismantling or intimidating the few media empires they don't 'own'. Murdoch is a monster who will not topple over until he's 110 but then his son is equally as dire. Mercer's own Breitbert and fund/greatly contribute to endless other 'secretive' far right bat shit cra cra sites. Now, Mark Zuckerberg (who after 2016 was gonna maybe run as a Dem in 2020 lmao) is now doing 'secret dinners' w/ Trump and demented, insane gay billionare Pete Thiel! Horrifying. I'm not a Liz Warren fan at all but if the messenger was maybe different I'd be ALL in for her at least trying to dismantle some of this craven $hit. 

Murdoch is a scourge. A disease that’s spread around the world. The USA has felt the Murdoch propaganda touch with Fox. But it is Pres. Reagan who ended The Fairness Doctrine that paved the way for those like Murdoch & Sinclair Broadcasting (have stealthily been buying up local network affiliates countrywide to spread their right wing propaganda) are brainwashing people to their narrative. I’ve seen in living in what was Reagan Country, then Bush Country (twice) and now it’s trumpistan and it’s getting worse all the time. 

Murdoch employed people like Roger Ailes who reigned supreme for years, then all the sexual harassment claims struck him too and the poor man couldn’t take it. He passed a few years later, I think. 

Murdoch takes information and turns it into propagandized mush. It also turns some brains to mush. I know, I divorced one! 😂🙄

Fox news alone (along with people like Rush Limbaugh) has divided this country like nothing I’ve ever seen. It seems to get into those who have a predisposition to being a Republican, staunchly conservative (the only thing they conserve is the truth) and started watching Fox Newz when it first came online in 1996. I was forced to listen to it because he eventually had it on 24/7–except for sports and the local news.....he read the local rag (I worked for the local TV station (89) & newspaper (90) and they were biased towards right wing interests even back then).

So @Jazzy Jan you’re spot on when you express your hatred for Murdoch. I feel similar about drumpf. I’ve never called him the name of the office he occupies. I call him BLOTUS. And Murdoch helped him get elected—as well as other factors swirling around US Politics. 

I certainly was stunned to find out that the “Liberals” in your country is the opposite of what I consider to be a liberal. In he US, Fox Newz has made the term “liberal” to mean something bad. Which is why we are now refereed to as “progressive”. It’s like in the U.K., I’m ignorant to the politics there and just try to listen and understand. USA’s system of Gubment is not the most ideal. So it’s not for me to understand other countries’ governments—just try and see the similarities and the differences. I have enough trouble understanding my own, thank you. 😂😂😂🤔 

On 11/22/2019 at 4:06 PM, ctg12 said:

He’s gonna live on for the next three hundred years like Pat Robertson, isn’t he? 

He is one person I won't be sad to see go - the evil he does around the world is frightening. As mentioned in earlier posts,  his own mother was disgusted in how he abused the power of owning the press that was inherited to him from his father.  Sadly though,  his horrid son Lachlan is waiting in the wings and is just as bad 

On 11/22/2019 at 4:21 PM, jamesshot said:

Liberal billionaires need to get off their asses and buy up media like conservatives do. Liberals are too fair. This is war.

Wish they would Jameshot. 

@Ciccone's Cheeks @Kelmadfan  Agree with you both too.  Kel,  it is funny how our conservatives are called the Liberal party.  The founder of the Liberal party did that decades ago intentionally as hated the word conservative and considered himself to be forward thinking while valuing other conservative type values.  The thing that is frightening me is that today's members of the Liberal party are truly the complete opposite of any form of Liberal thinking.  They are more right wing than ever with even old time Liberal party members commenting on it.  So many centre type of conservatives or middle of the road conservatives left the party in disgust at how many ultra right wingers have taken over and what they believe in. Wish they had stayed because this current " Liberal party and government"  are heartless horrible people who have the full support of Murdoch and his evil cronies.   To compare the names - our Liberal party is what Americans would call Republicans and Our Democrats are the Labor Party. 

12 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

He is one person I won't be sad to see go - the evil he does around the world is frightening. As mentioned in earlier posts,  his own mother was disgusted in how he abused the power of owning the press that was inherited to him from his father.  Sadly though,  his horrid son Lachlan is waiting in the wings and is just as bad 

Wish they would Jameshot. 

@Ciccone's Cheeks @Kelmadfan  Agree with you both too.  Kel,  it is funny how our conservatives are called the Liberal party.  The founder of the Liberal party did that decades ago intentionally as hated the word conservative and considered himself to be forward thinking while valuing other conservative type values.  The thing that is frightening me is that today's members of the Liberal party are truly the complete opposite of any form of Liberal thinking.  They are more right wing than ever with even old time Liberal party members commenting on it.  So many centre type of conservatives or middle of the road conservatives left the party in disgust at how many ultra right wingers have taken over and what they believe in. Wish they had stayed because this current " Liberal party and government"  are heartless horrible people who have the full support of Murdoch and his evil cronies.   To compare the names - our Liberal party is what Americans would call Republicans and Our Democrats are the Labor Party. 

It is a carbon copy of the USA but backwards—just by their names. Not what they’re about. That’s the same. 

Sorry for the double post—I meant for these two to posts to merge. I’m still learning. 🙏🏻