BREXIT vote aftermath

Guest Rachelle of London

As I was entering Belfast City Hall yesterday morning, I bumped into the new Secretary of State for Northern Ireland.

He stopped to chat to me, one to one. We chatted for about 3 minutes. I told him of my close personal and family ties with Ireland (the South) and. I made reference to the customs border checks and the ensuing delays and said that I never wanted that to return.

I further said that we (NI & South) were closer than ever, and lived within each others shelter. He agreed and said that he would do all he could to avoid any disruption of the current arrangements between North and South.

I came away rather impressed with this man, and his friendly open manner certainly inspired me with some confidence.

Good luck, James: it's a tough one!

James Brokenshire. I love him. He really campaigned against Cameron in the closure of all the A&E departments in and around London. Hes been an MP down here for years. He really is a breath of fresh air. I could actually see him running as leader for Tories one day.

You know in all this mess what really irks me a lot is that Cameron went to Brussels to DEMAND changes and if they didn't obey he would support Brexit.

He may look now as a remain supporter in some EU countries but he's a snake like Taylor

Guest Rachelle of London

You know in all this mess what really irks me a lot is that Cameron went to Brussels to DEMAND changes and if they didn't obey he would support Brexit.

He may look now as a remain supporter in some EU countries but he's a snake like Taylor

Karby, Cameron was always for leaving the EU. He based his initial Pm campaign on it. He only changed his mind 2 years ago after sneaky meetings with Merkel. That's why I was laughing when he was being heralded as this remain campaign Saint. Especially on this forum. The rose tinted perspective of the stay campaign as being anti referendum, pro immigration etc is far from the mark. Cameron demanded changes be made or he would leave and one of the things he championed was if we do stay non British families wouldn't get the child support which they are entitled to. The EU approved that as well. Also, not letting EU nationals get the living wage. So the position of EU families and people within the UK if we would've stayed would still of been jeopardised. That's what most people fail to see.

Guest Rachelle of London

It's so complicated to follow so many issues in this world! And we journalists are doing such a BAD JOB by copying and paste all the controlled agencies are feeding...

Exactly. The media will give you the complete wrong impression. Both campaigns relied on scaremongering people into believing drivel. This EU referendum became a campaign between newspapers. That's the biggest joke. Meanwhile Cameron just laughed all the way to the bank. Moving into his 17m Holland Park home which the taxpayer is paying for. But all hail St Cameron, patron saint of European Equality :lmao:

You know, if only there were some leaders to trust. Good leaders like there were before... But what do we have? Merkel, Hollande, Cameron... What a bunch.

That Europe with Kohl and Miterrand seems like Camelot now.

Guest Rachelle of London

You know, if only there were some leaders to trust. Good leaders like there were before... But what do we have? Merkel, Hollande, Cameron... What a bunch.

That Europe with Kohl and Miterrand seems like Camelot now.

Well we have Corbyn who is a person of the people. Has the lowest expenses in the whole MP cabinet, takes public transport, supports equality for all, wants to use the money we spend is storing nuclear arms for public services. But his party members want him out because his image isn't right. Apparently he's too positive for Britain :lmao:

So yes we're now stuck with May, who wants to deport non EU workers who earn less than £35,000 a year, which equates to most of the NHS staff. Lord help us.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/19/boris-johnson-grilled-past-outright-lies-uneasy-press-conference-john-kerry

This appointment was such a mistake! Oh dear, it's cringeworthy!

Why oh why?

By the way, I can't understand a word he says as he's so posh; maybe if did understand him, I'd be forced to further question his integrity.

He only changed his mind 2 years ago after sneaky meetings with Merkel. That's why I was laughing when he was being heralded as this remain campaign Saint.

Well we know he's not a saint, remain or otherwise :laugh:

Merkel has got nothing to do with anything. Regardless of his own personal stance on the matter and when or how it changed he's the one to have provided the opportunity in the first place. Merkel would never have wanted to see a referendum to begin with, because that would have generated an opportunity. So changing his mind is ironic when you think that he was under no obligation to call a referendum.

He was fearing UKIP enlarging its popularity with British voters and at the same time he was being pressured from within his own party so in 2013 he promised a referendum to consolidate his grip on the party and used that promise to win the elections last year. Clearly it backfired spectacularly.

His first meeting with EU and US top diplomats :rotfl:

Talk about awkward. Bumbling about Jesus while Kerry is talking? Seriously now

Love Borisconi

I can live with that I can live with that

Fantastic, Jesus Christ, Thank you John

Phew, stop that, that's fine

It's called diplomacy Boris :lmao:

It's so complicated to follow so many issues in this world! And we journalists are doing such a BAD JOB by copying and paste all the controlled agencies are feeding...

this has been happening for decades, but it´s becoming more and more obvious for the general public, most of the journalists don´t know a shit and they repeat what an agency, the government or any other "respected source" is saying

Guest Rachelle of London

Remember when everyone was freaking out about us "leaving the EU" so suddenly? All melodrama used to sell papers. we don't even have to start "negotiations" for another 2 years. Which by that time we will probably just have a new deal with the EU. Also even if we had a date of when we're officially leaving it would still take 10 years from that date to fully leave the EU.

Remember when everyone was freaking out about us "leaving the EU" so suddenly? All melodrama used to sell papers. we don't even have to start "negotiations" for another 2 years. Which by that time we will probably just have a new deal with the EU. Also even if we had a date of when we're officially leaving it would still take 10 years from that date to fully leave the EU.

No, the drama wasn't over "leaving the EU" so suddenly... it was over the massive economic and political repercussions of uncertainty for 10 years. :doh: But good luck with your economy now that all the foreign investment and real estate development has left!

Guest Rachelle of London

No, the drama wasn't over "leaving the EU" so suddenly... it was over the massive economic and political repercussions of uncertainty for 10 years. :doh: But good luck with your economy now that all the foreign investment and real estate development has left!

Ugh. Read what I said again before jumping to dramatic conclusions. Even if we set a date to leave the EU it will still take YEARS. And no. Not all foreign investment or real estate development has left.

Guest Rachelle of London

What EXACTLY is being printed in international media for people to think that there is no real estate development in the UK since 23 June? And all foreign investors have left?

They've even announced they're going to extend the Crossrail project London. A deal worth £27bn.

The government have even kept interest rates exactly the same since pre Brexit.In the short term the referendum result has made no significant change in the property market whatsoever.

but I think that deal,if it happens,or ehen it happens,can't be a good deal.it doesn't make sense for the union to have a country out but with all the benefits of being in.well,that's what the UK had so far

Guest Rachelle of London

but I think that deal,if it happens,or ehen it happens,can't be a good deal.it doesn't make sense for the union to have a country out but with all the benefits of being in.well,that's what the UK had so far

U.K. have no one to blame but themselves if we do end up with a shoddy deal. If whoever is in at the time has any balls they should go out of their way to make sure UK can't just weasel their way in. But we all know that politics ain't like that. Especially in europe. They're all mates. You pat my back, I'll pat yours.

And as karby posted before even if we voted stay Cameron was still going to demand changes to the deal we had.

Well worth looking at this. There are variations on a full blown All Ireland republic and when eventually we are calm enough, and this fog of uncertainty over the North's future outside the EU has thinned or lifted, just maybe then we can see where the future lies.

In my view, Blexit might have unintentionally provided a stimulus to create new thinking and a new culture of understanding between all our people on these islands.

Just to hoist my flag, I'm Irish, British and European, and the order in which I place these identities changes with my mood or the prevailing circumstances. For instance, the day after the Referendum, I travelled to take part in the Dublin Pride Parade. My feelings that day were subdued by two things, firstly leaving the EU and secondly, not having the Civil Marriage Equality Ireland achieved the previous year. Now I'm a confident guy, but the thought of being more "other" than usual, being second class-ish still lingers.

https://www.thedetail.tv/articles/is-the-reality-of-brexit-beginning-to-bite-at-stormont?utm_source=mailinglist&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=98-enda-kenny-irish-unity-brexit-getting-pa

Guest Rachelle of London

What worries me is what's going to happen to the NI/Eire border? It's gonna be a mess with one half being EU other not.

His first meeting with EU and US top diplomats :rotfl:

Talk about awkward. Bumbling about Jesus while Kerry is talking? Seriously now

Love Borisconi

I can live with that I can live with that

Fantastic, Jesus Christ, Thank you John

Phew, stop that, that's fine

It's called diplomacy Boris :lmao:

Now I'm not a Boris fan but good on him there. Can't stand Kerry and that patronising way he was talking about him as if he's a child. No need. It's not diplomacy, it's pompous.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/24/theresa-may-visits-northern-ireland-to-insist-border-controls-wi/

Yes, fair enough, Theresa, but let's hope this can be achieved.

What are you proposing? A free trade area for the island of Ireland?

Does the trade border move to our airports and ports?

I have to say this was all glossed over on the run up to the referendum.

Tricky, would you say?

What EXACTLY is being printed in international media for people to think that there is no real estate development in the UK since 23 June? And all foreign investors have left?

They've even announced they're going to extend the Crossrail project London. A deal worth £27bn.

The government have even kept interest rates exactly the same since pre Brexit.In the short term the referendum result has made no significant change in the property market whatsoever.

I know right?