BREXIT vote aftermath

I would like to add that Nigel Farage is an evil person. His victory speech. "... normal, decent people .." What a disgusting man. Christiane Amanpour was great asking him what that makes the other roughly 50 percent of voters. Of course he had nothing to say to that.

And Donald Trump? Seriously? What a dumb f'ck.

Scumbags!!!!!!

E.U., don't you give up

Its not so bad

There's still a chance for us

E.U., just be yourself

Don't be so shy

There's reasons why its hard

Keep it together, you'll make it all right

Our celebration is going on tonight

Poets and prophets, what ending would we do?

This could be good, E.U.

:sneaky:

:dead:

Honestly, I wasn't shocked at all this morning. I was more shocked when I heard the REMAIN had a chance to win, according to the pools. Many factors made this happen: the stupid austerity measures, Germany having too much power in EU, the refugees crisis and the xenophobic fear of migrants, the British nationalism. I am not sure if it was a wise move for UK by the way (of course at least from an economical point of view wasn't). However, I think that this European Union should change drastically and for the better or seriously will collapse faster than the Western Roman Empire... :sneaky:

She used to be my neighbour in Redcliff Square, always parking her fucking Jaguar ON the sidewalk close to her backyard's wall. What's her "career" since Hugh Grant left her by the way ?

frt.jpg

Very good question. Didn't she play the queen of England in some kind of soap opera? I think it was on E! television. And didn't she make a child with some billionaire and separated shortly after. She may be doing those "yacht cruises" in Dubai as well, you know those "boat trips" that are regularly mentioned on blind item sites. Who knows?

Yes, that's a very good point. You have to have a super majority of 2/3 of states to amend the US constitution. Why was this just a simple majority? The leave option only won by 4 points or something like that which isn't much. Who set up the procedure for the referendum, was it the current UK government or the EU?

Our voting system is always based on a 'first past the post' system - whoever gets the majority wins an election. It was 4% difference 52 / 48.

The third party, the Liberal Democrats, tried to bring in proportional representation a few years back but it didn't go through.

Very good question. Didn't she play the queen of England in some kind of soap opera? I think it was on E! television. And didn't she make a child with some billionaire and separated shortly after. She may be doing those "yacht cruises" in Dubai as well, you know those "boat trips" that are regularly mentioned on blind item sites. Who knows?

Blind items says she goes from man to man taking them for all they are worth - see Shane Warne. Split up his family, took his money and ditched him.

That independence line is such a joke. Britain was the fucking lead on colonization. Now it's trying to play victim but wants all of the benefits of free trade with the EU with none of the problems associated with EU membership. If you have problems and you're a major political and economic leader, you take responsibility for implementing reform. Choosing to secede is like burying your head in the sandbox and saying I won't play with you any more! But you'd better still do me all these favors as if we were still best friends, since the reality is that they still need to deal with the EU for trade and all sorts of regulatory issues.

It's like a hostile divorce, which ends well for nobody.

Honestly, I wasn't shocked at all this morning. I was more shocked when I heard the REMAIN had a chance to win, according to the pools. Many factors made this happen: the stupid austerity measures, Germany having too much power in EU, the refugees crisis and the xenophobic fear of migrants, the British nationalism. I am not sure if it was a wise move for UK by the way (of course at least from an economical point of view wasn't). However, I think that this European Union should change drastically and for the better or seriously will collapse faster than the Western Roman Empire... :sneaky:

Now those three things had nothing or almost nothing to do with it. First, the UK was not affected by austerity measures (not counting British tourists visiting Greece). Secondly, Germany = too much power? Well, technically German members of the EU parliament make up to around 13%. Too much? Hardly. Lot of influence? Sure! But when Germany is the biggest net payer of the whole EU (not per citizen, that are the Dutch) with around 15 billion Euros per year (roughly three times the amount the UK has paid) you should have some say. Did any of this affect the UK? No. The UK was/is just as Germany a net payer and Germany did not tell the UK what to do. Third, refugees crisis. How many refugees did the UK accept again? A few thousands? Not a number to be worried about. Germany took around one million.

Nevertheless, one can hope that this was a wake up call for Brussels. There are certainly a lot of things that need to be reformed there.

Ugh. You know unfortunately that's the one major disadvantage of democracy - everyone, really everyone, has the right to vote, including the ignorant and uninformed. Looking at what the different demographic groups voted for, this doesn't seem to be much of a different situation here. I feel especially sad for the young generation who unfortunately have been stripped from several opportunities the EU provides. As an EU civilian myself I highly value the chance of being able to freely work and travel in so many nations. There definitely are lots of flaws to the system but privileges like these do make me feel glad after all to be part of it.

I deeply hope this won't cause a domino effect and provide an incentive for other nations to discuss leaving too. I do think the EU is in need of a re-adjustment, much more transparency is necessary right now to regain the faith in them which many civilians have lost. But I don't think that more and more nations leaving would be a solution to anything, it'll just make the whole system collapse at some point which will only result in total chaos.

Guest Pud Whacker

No1curr what Miss Wiggy did or didn't do.

Of course they do. It's Joan Collins. She represents an entire generation.

Now those three things had nothing or almost nothing to do with it. First, the UK was not affected by austerity measures (not counting British tourists visiting Greece). Secondly, Germany = too much power? Well, technically German members of the EU parliament make up to around 13%. Too much? Hardly. Lot of influence? Sure! But when Germany is the biggest net payer of the whole EU (not per citizen, that are the Dutch) with around 15 billion Euros per year (roughly three times the amount the UK has paid) you should have some say. Did any of this affect the UK? No. The UK was/is just as Germany a net payer and Germany did not tell the UK what to do. Third, refugees crisis. How many refugees did the UK accept again? A few thousands? Not a number to be worried about. Germany took around one million.

Nevertheless, one can hope that this was a wake up call for Brussels. There are certainly a lot of things that need to be reformed there.

They were not the main factors, but still they were factors in my opinion. It's clear that Germany has the biggest power (or influence like you wanna call it) because it has the biggest economy and a powerful leadership.

It's not often that one decision can cripple your own economy, damage global investor confidence, imperil one of the most successful alliances in modern history, foster the rise of ultra-nationalists, precipitate the possible breakup of your own country, deeply divide your own party and cause a great schism between voters of every ideological stripe, but this is one of them.

Well done, David Cameron.

That independence line is such a joke. Britain was the fucking lead on colonization. Now it's trying to play victim but wants all of the benefits of free trade with the EU with none of the problems associated with EU membership. If you have problems and you're a major political and economic leader, you take responsibility for implementing reform. Choosing to secede is like burying your head in the sandbox and saying I won't play with you any more! But you'd better still do me all these favors as if we were still best friends, since the reality is that they still need to deal with the EU for trade and all sorts of regulatory issues.

It's like a hostile divorce, which ends well for nobody.

Amen to all

And the people who voted LEAVE are apparently blissfully unaware of Norway and how it has to comply with everything that Brussels says. Regardless. So the effect of it all it's just further volatily and the usual barracudas speculating on stuff like this rather than an actual change in the status quo.

This has been an interesting day. And infact the most shocking thing of all of this is really how uninformed many many people who voted "leave" were. CNN International asked people on the street and there was this guy who was probably in his late 30s or early 40s who was almost shaking because he was so emotional about his "independence" claming he never wanted to join the EU in the first place. WOW! What a bold statement from someone who was not even born when the UK joined the EU. By referendum by the way. And this was a landslide win with two thirds in favor of joining. Why? Because the UK was in a horrible economic shape back then and saw the advantages of a common single market. Ever since, this common single market has brought growth and stability to the UK. This all from an economic point of view. I could start talking about how the EU pumped money in regions like Wales for infrastructure or how farmers received lots of subsidies to keep their businesses going. I could start talking about Northern Ireland and what the EU did there. The list of EUs contributions is rather long. It is shocking how almost none of this was acknowledged by Brexiteers and taken into consideration by "Leave" voters. Again, it shows a huge lack of proper information and it all came down to immigration.

And can someone please explain to me why a simple majority was enough for that decision? Shouldn't there be an like a two/third majority for such wide ranging decisions? I mean a two/third majority is a safety measure, usually need when it comes to constitutional matters, to make sure that certain important rights cannot be changed or taken away easily. Let's face it, a simple majority is relatively easy to achieve since people can be so easily swayed. Yes, people are that dumb. And as a result you have a split country. The situation in the UK must be horrible considering that more or less the same amount of people voted for either side and half of the nation may face the consequences for the votes other people cast.

Exactly :clap:

This is also true. The EU as it is now is a mess. Which is not conflictual with everything's been pointed out about this vote and how severely naive some still are about the matter.

I can't believe how ageist people are.

"You're old? Okay then you're ignorant, dumb and irrelevant."

"You had a different opinion to me? You're a racist, ignorant, hateful person."

So liberal. So loving.