BREXIT vote aftermath

Byron burgers: Protesters release cockroaches and locusts at London restaurants

stream_img.jpg

The burger chain has faced criticism after the immigration sting. Credit: PA Wire

Cockroaches, locusts and crickets were released into two Byron restaurants in protest against the burger chain's alleged role in an immigration sting against its own staff.

Demonstrators released a "swarm of insects" into Byrons Shaftesbury Avenue and Holborn diners on Friday evening - forcing the branches to close early.

Activist groups, London Black Revs and Malcolm X Movement, said they had taken "affirmative action" in response to what they called the chain's "despicable actions in the past weeks having entrapped waiters, back of house staff and chefs in collaboration with UK Border Agency".

"Many thousands of live cockroaches, locusts and crickets into these restaurants," they said in a statement on Facebook.

"We apologise to customers and staff for any irritation, however... a line must be drawn and we say, enough is enough. No one is illegal."

A journalist from Huck magazine witnessed the chaos.

stream_img.jpg

One of the insects released by the activists Credit: London Black Revs

stream_img.jpg

The insects were thrown into branches at Holborn and Shaftesbury avenue Credit: ITV News

Thirty-five people from Albania, Brazil, Egypt and Nepal were removed by immigration officials earlier in July.

Workers at the restaurant have accused management of organising fake meetings in order to lure the staff into the raid - something the Home Office denies.

The hashtag #BoycottByron is being used to encourage people to buy their burgers elsewhere.

Byron released a statement saying they had "co-operated fully" with the Home Office investigation.

The chain told ITV News on Saturday that it had contacted police about the insect protest.

The safety of our customers and restaurant teams is paramount, and our priority is now to work with local police to minimise the risk of further incident.

http://www.itv.com/news/london/2016-07-30/protestors-throw-hundreds-of-cockroaches-into-byron-restaurants/

These people are so dumb. So breaking the law is okay? Is murder not illegal now either? These people are the worst.

Guest Rachelle of London

sorry, what does this mean? is it good? bad? I´m a complete illiterate in economy

It's a double edged sword. Basically things will "cost less" but it means if you have savings, pensions etc then they'll be worth less cos the interest is low. They done it to "avoid" a recession later in the year. The guardian has this great timeline of the markets today. It's quite an interesting read.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/live/2016/aug/04/bank-of-england-interest-rates-stimulus-inflation-report-business-live

It's a double edged sword. Basically things will "cost less" but it means if you have savings, pensions etc then they'll be worth less cos the interest is low. They done it to "avoid" a recession later in the year. The guardian has this great timeline of the markets today. It's quite an interesting read. https://www.theguardian.com/business/live/2016/aug/04/bank-of-england-interest-rates-stimulus-inflation-report-business-live

so if they want to avoid problems later this year is it because they are already thinking they will happen,I guess,and thanks for the link!

Guest Rachelle of London

so if they want to avoid problems later this year is it because they are already thinking they will happen,I guess,and thanks for the link!

Yup. It's like they're thinking "OH SHIT" :lmao: but they'd never admit that :rotfl:

My mortgage and savings accounts are with Barclays so my mortgage payments will be down from next month BUT the tiny amount of savings I have will be worth less. It's ANNOYING!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Rachelle of London

:lmao:

Even longer. Told everyone Britain just can't up and leave straight away. Then when time comes we won't go anywhere anyway.

:lmao:

Even longer. Told everyone Britain just can't up and leave straight away. Then when time comes we won't go anywhere anyway.

So we've fucked the economy for several more years only for nothing to change!

My builder said he probably would vote remain this time if he got the chance!

Guest Rachelle of London

So we've fucked the economy for several more years only for nothing to change!

My builder said he probably would vote remain this time if he got the chance!

Nothing was never going to change. The Daily Mail, The Sun, The Express et al did all they can to destroy the government and economy. It worked.

I read somewhere that the British government is already creating a fund of BILLIONS of pounds to maintain the funds that agriculture was receiving from the EU. :lmao: worst business ever.

If they retain the access to the EU market they ll pay the same or bigger contribution they pay now and they ll get 0 euro from the funds. Great choice indeed.

When has CNN become incredibly dumb? Headline on the news now: "Is Brexit as bad as had been predicted?" And they are having data how fabulous the last quarter was for the UK to prove their point. What the hell are they talking about? NOTHING has happened so far. Britain has still not pulled the trigger on that certain article to start the process to finish their EU membership. The above question should be asked in 2020.

When has CNN become incredibly dumb? Headline on the news now: "Is Brexit as bad as had been predicted?" And they are having data how fabulous the last quarter was for the UK to prove their point. What the hell are they talking about? NOTHING has happened so far. Britain has still not pulled the trigger on that certain article to start the process to finish their EU membership. The above question should be asked in 2020.

I read a short article too about how well UK was doing and that they were surprised about it...I don´t think we should wait until 2020 to see something happening, after all, if I was an investor, I would like to know if I´m investing in a market that is not as big as is now, for example.

I read a short article tto about how well UK was doing and that they were surprised about it...I don´t think we should wait until 2020 to see something happening, after all, if I was an investor, I would like to know if I´m investing in a market that is not as big as is now, for example.

My thoughts exactly. Unfortunately the news are not asking this question. They are all talking about the economic growth and unemployment data. Things that are usually 6 months behind certain decisions or occasions. The first sign of the consequences of the Brexit is a falling pound which at the moment is a rather positive effect and immediate effect on the British economy because all British products and services become cheaper and more competitive simply because of the currency exchange rate. It makes total sense that London tourism is booming. No surprise at all. But in regards to the real effects of the Brexit we have seen nothing yet because the trigger hasn't been pulled yet. Once the exit is officially initiated I doubt things will stay as rosy as they are.

• 2 weeks later...

This world is so complicated that reading this I don't know if the UK is fucked up, if it will be lots of opportunities, if this woman is crazy of if she's a genius :lmao:

Britain's May hails "golden era" for UK-China ties
LONDON, Sept 3 (Reuters) - British Prime Minister Theresa May said Sino-British relations were in a "golden era", as she left on Saturday for the G-20 meeting in China next week.
Ahead of talks with President Xi Jinping she said: "This is a golden era for UK-China relations and one of the things I will be doing at the G20 is obviously talking to President Xi about how we can develop the strategic partnership that we have between the UK and China."
She added in a statement: "The message for the G20 is that Britain is open for business as a bold, confident, outward-looking country and we will be playing a key role on the world stage. My ambition is that Britain will be a global leader in free trade."
(Reporting by William James; Editing by Jon Boyle; writing by Stephen Addison; editing by)

Guest Rachelle of London

So Obama confirmed that TTIP is still on the forefront in negotiations with the EU.

Glad Theresa May didn't pussyfoot around Putin at G20. I give her that.

Well they seem to take TTIP as dead though, according to Germany and France governments. Besides, nor Trump or Clinton have it in their agenda.

About May, she was told off yesterday by the EU, who remind her that she cannot start new commercial treaties while being still in the Union :lmao:

Nice though that she is clearly pro brexit and working for it instead of wasting time

so I've just read that there is a region in england thinking about stopping surgeries for fat people and smokers...because apparently the surgeries are expensive.come to spain for the surgeries now...because I'm sure we won't stop doing them even if you are happy outside the Eu...

Guest Rachelle of London

so I've just read that there is a region in england thinking about stopping surgeries for fat people and smokers...because apparently the surgeries are expensive.come to spain for the surgeries now...because I'm sure we won't stop doing them even if you are happy outside the Eu...

It only applies to elective surgery. Not surgeries that are needed. So people that are having boob jobs etc will have to be under a certain weight. They've already ruled it out but personally I don't think it's a bad idea. Many complications in surgery have nothing to do with the actual surgery but because the patient is so unhealthy to begin with.