BREXIT vote aftermath

I think other European countries have been very patient with Britain's post colonial arrogance in constantly demanding exceptions from this and that. Nobody is forcing Britain to stay in the single market , but if it wants to be in EEA it needs to obey all the rules just like Norway does. It was extremely irresponsible of Leave campaigners to claim otherwise. Unfortunately some of the conservative politicians still keep trying to convince British public that UK is going to cut this great deal with EU with access to single market and no free movement. It's not gonna happen.

Precisely the point :thumbsup:

The argument that EU needs UK more than UK needs EU is very questionable. EEC was doing very well before UK joined in. Unfortunately very few people remember that UK applied to join EEC three times and twice they were vetoed by France as at the time British economy was considered to be too weak and France did not want to invest in it.

So after being stabbed in the back by his Brexit Buddy Michael Gove this morning, Bumbling Boris has decided NOT to stand for leader of the Tories/ PM aferall. This pantomime just gets better and better :rotfl:

So after being stabbed in the back by his Brexit Buddy Michael Gove this morning, Bumbling Boris has decided NOT to stand for leader of the Tories/ PM aferall. This pantomime just gets better and better :rotfl:

It's actually an admirable move to bow out gracefully knowing that his card has already been marked by the media.

Gracefully bowing out :rotfl:

More like not taking it upon himself to having to trigger Article 50 and everything that comes with it, which the next PM will inevitably be called to do. Johnson is just washing his hands clean of it, after so much LEAVE fervour

In short another oh so predictable move.

Juncker to BBC Ross Atkins: "if the next PM comes from the REMAIN front the negotiations will take minutes, if he comes from the LEAVE side it will be a matter of seconds"

So we finally have to wait to October

I thought we had the worst politicians in Spain right now but compared to Cameron and that Boris and that other Ukip person they seem like super gifted.

It's actually an admirable move to bow out gracefully knowing that his card has already been marked by the media.

Nonsense. Once again, the truth behind this whole mess becomes apparent as internal party squabbling takes centre stage. Just like lame duck Cameron, Boris has simply abdicated all responsibility now that he knows his path isn't quite as clear as previously thought. None of these idiots thought for a minute they'd be in the position of having to negotiate taking the country out of Europe, hence no contingency plans and the current SHAMEFUL shambles going on at Westminster.
And now they're stabbing each other in the back.
Of course YOU would blame "the media"

I'm just stunned at everything that is happening.

I'm glad I'm not a betting man as I didn't think we'd vote leave and then I thought Boris would be PM!

Can't believe he's done it but yes he clearly doesn't want the fallout from the next few months!

How dishonourable. To advocate a course of action out of nothing but personal ambition and, when you faced with the cosequences, fail to have the courage or conviction to see it through.

I'm no fan of Gove or Fox, but at least they are willing to follow through and lead on delivering what they fought for.

Cameron

should never have called the referendum in the first place but he did so purely to finish Boris. He has, though he has finished his own political career too. For now

I don't think Boris is a coward. I think his party knows that every word being said about him on social media/in the press is all about what a comedy oaf he is. With everything going on that's the last thing a party needs.

Brexit: LSE expert says EU referendum was a 'draw' and UK exit will not happen

Britain may not leave the EU because no prime minister will want to preside over the break-up of the UK which would follow such a move, according to an expert on the UK constitution.

Dr Jo Murkens, an associate professor of law at the London School of Economics, said the EU referendum could be interpreted as a 2-2 draw because two of the UK’s four nations - Scotland and Northern Ireland - voted to Remain part of Europe.

This means it would be impossible for Britain to leave the EU without it causing the break-up of the United Kingdom, he said.

The scholar, an expert in constitutional law as well as Scottish independence, told the Standard: “[brexit campaigners] wanted to take the country back, but there would be no country left if we leave the EU.”

Dr Murkens added: “I see no way in which the UK can leave the EU and survive.

“I can see no Prime Minister who would want to preside over the break-up of the United Kingdom.”

Ahead of last week’s referendum, experts pointed out that victory for Leave campaigners would not necessarily lead to a Brexit.

After the result, Prime Minister David Cameron said he accepted the will of the people as he conceded defeat in an emotional address from the steps of Number 10.

But he declined to trigger Article 50, the constitutional lever which would start Brexit's two-year divorce proceedings, saying that would be a job for his successor.

Dr Murkens said Mr Cameron's decision may arise from a reluctance to preside over the break-up of the UK.

He said that constitutionally the UK was not a “centralised” state and while Westminster was sovereign it could not hope to unilaterally pull Scotland and Northern Ireland out of the European Union without consequences.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/brexit-will-not-happen-after-draw-in-referendum-because-it-would-trigger-the-breakup-of-the-uk-a3284216.html

Boris is such a cunt. Hopefully the Tories won't forgive him for this and his ambition to be PM will never happen.

Brexit: LSE expert says EU referendum was a 'draw' and UK exit will not happen

Britain may not leave the EU because no prime minister will want to preside over the break-up of the UK which would follow such a move, according to an expert on the UK constitution.

Dr Jo Murkens, an associate professor of law at the London School of Economics, said the EU referendum could be interpreted as a 2-2 draw because two of the UK’s four nations - Scotland and Northern Ireland - voted to Remain part of Europe.

This means it would be impossible for Britain to leave the EU without it causing the break-up of the United Kingdom, he said.

The scholar, an expert in constitutional law as well as Scottish independence, told the Standard: “[brexit campaigners] wanted to take the country back, but there would be no country left if we leave the EU.”

Dr Murkens added: “I see no way in which the UK can leave the EU and survive.

“I can see no Prime Minister who would want to preside over the break-up of the United Kingdom.”

Ahead of last week’s referendum, experts pointed out that victory for Leave campaigners would not necessarily lead to a Brexit.

After the result, Prime Minister David Cameron said he accepted the will of the people as he conceded defeat in an emotional address from the steps of Number 10.

But he declined to trigger Article 50, the constitutional lever which would start Brexit's two-year divorce proceedings, saying that would be a job for his successor.

Dr Murkens said Mr Cameron's decision may arise from a reluctance to preside over the break-up of the UK.

He said that constitutionally the UK was not a “centralised” state and while Westminster was sovereign it could not hope to unilaterally pull Scotland and Northern Ireland out of the European Union without consequences.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/brexit-will-not-happen-after-draw-in-referendum-because-it-would-trigger-the-breakup-of-the-uk-a3284216.html

I hope that the UK remains in the EU!

I'm just stunned at everything that is happening.

I'm glad I'm not a betting man as I didn't think we'd vote leave and then I thought Boris would be PM!

Can't believe he's done it but yes he clearly doesn't want the fallout from the next few months!

This is all such a joke! I'm amazed.

I don't know what to make of this because it's democracy, and it would be wrong to ignore the public's democratic vote. But this isn't just any election, as the action of leaving itself has to be triggered not by the public but by those in power with the public's decision in mind. I always felt that if the UK voted leave even by a majority landslide, something would prevent it from taking place, so this apparent delay and pussyfooting around is no surprise at all. But we will see.

Nigel Farage told George Galloway he is a little bit nervous that the conservative BREXITers are backtracking... (this is a couple of days ago, before we knew Boris was not to run for leadership).

Boris is a Bulgarian name. It was first recorded in 9th century when our king Boris I christianed the Bulgarians. Then it was adopted by Germans Russians etc. too bad such a strange looking fella has that name.

Boris is a Bulgarian name. It was first recorded in 9th century when our king Boris I christianed the Bulgarians. Then it was adopted by Germans Russians etc. too bad such a strange looking fella has that name.

Very interesting thanks! :laugh:

I love the name, your description of its origins doesn't fit with Johnson's Bozo demeanor at all

35B65BE100000578-3661362-Boris_Johnson_d

North American leaders challenge isolationism as Brexit and Trump loom

57750c21c36188e34b8b456f.jpg

Speaking in Ottawa with the leaders of Canada and Mexico, Barack Obama said that ‘pulling up the drawbridge’ would only be a bad thing. North American leaders fought back against isolationism on Wednesday, promising deeper ties, as Britain’s Brexit vote and Donald Trump’s protectionist stance loomed large.

“The integration of national economies ... That’s here, that’s done,” Barack Obama told reporters after talks with Canadian and Mexican leaders in Ottawa. “And us trying to abandon the field and pull up the drawbridge around us is going to be bad for us.”

He noted the “legitimate” concerns many have about globalization. “Because the fact is that as the global economy is integrated, what we’ve seen are trend lines across the advanced economies of growing inequality and stagnant wages.”

The isolationism currently being touted on the left and right, he warned, is not the answer. “That’s the wrong medicine,” he said, one that would lead to disruption and inefficiencies that could result in job losses and a spike in the price of goods. He instead urged countries to take an active approach towards free trade and help shape an international order that prioritizes workers.

His embrace of free trade was wholeheartedly echoed by Justin Trudeau, Canada’s prime minister, and Enrique Peña Nieto, the president of Mexico. “We know that industries that export more goods pay salaries that are 50% higher than sectors that don’t export,” said Trudeau.

Obama cautioned those who would see Britain’s vote to leave the European Union as a rejection of trade, pointing to efforts by those in the Leave campaign to ensure that the UK could continue to have access to the single market.

“So apparently their argument was not against trade generally, they just didn’t want any obligations to go with the access to the free market.” He said he expected the global economy to hold steady in the short term, but flagged long term concerns if Brexit goes through and investment in the UK or Europe stagnates.

The leaders’ broad defense of trade came as presumptive Republican nominee Donald Trump vowed that one of his top priorities would be to renegotiate the decades-old free trade agreement in the region.

Speaking in Pennsylvania on Tuesday, Trump slammed Nafta, the free trade accord between the United States, Canada and Mexico that represents more than a quarter of the world’s gross domestic product. “I’m going tell our Nafta partners that I intend to immediately renegotiate the terms of that agreement to get a better deal for our workers. And I don’t mean just a little bit better, I mean a lot better,” he said. If Canada and Mexico refuse, he added, he would move to withdraw the United States from the deal.

With just over four months left before Americans heads to the polls, the specter of the general election hung heavily over the summit. When asked about comments made earlier this year in which he likened Trump to Adolf Hitler and Benito Mussolini, Mexico’s Peña Nieto warned against politicians who seek to counter globalization with populism.

“In the world we’re living, in different places, we have political leaders, political stakeholders that use demagoguery and have populist slogans that want to eliminate and destroy what has been built,” he said. “In the past, some leaders addressed their societies in those terms. Hitler and Mussolini did that and the outcome – it’s clear to everyone – it resulted in devastation.”

Obama later chimed in, with a thinly veiled rant that took aim at Trump. “I’m not prepared to concede the notion that some of the rhetoric that’s been popping up is populist,” Obama said, without mentioning Trump by name. “They don’t suddenly become a populist because they say something controversial in order to win votes. That’s not the measure of populism. That’s nativism. Or xenophobia. Or worse. Or it’s just cynicism.”

He spoke forcefully against the divisive tone that had permeated the election campaign to-date. “We’ve had times throughout our history where anti-immigration sentiment is exploited by demagogues,” he said. “The language is identical. But guess what? They kept coming, and they kept coming because America offered possibility for their children and grandchildren.”

He continued: “America is a nation of immigrants. That is our strength ... The notion that we would somehow stop now on what has been a tradition of attracting talent and strivers and dreamers from all around the world, that would rob us of the thing that is most special about America.”

They didn't compare Brexit to any regime :blink:

They said that populists who inspire fragmentation and use immigration as the excuse justification to do the bidding of those that would like to get even richer by only welcoming the advantages while not taking the downsides of further integration are trailing a path similar to the circumstances that led to the instauration of those regimes in history. Different thing.

French and Environment Minister Segolene Royal was interviewed by Stephen Sackur, the main BBC HARDtalk programme host

Royal says that the fundamental issue at play here is the fact that David Cameron's calling of the referendum not only was done without consulting anyone in Brussels but that it was also, in reality, based on a promise made in 2013, merely aimed at garnering more consent within his party but the consequences of it will now fall on all 28 EU members, not just British citizens and she continues saying that the squabbling and party shamble scenes taking place at the moment in national British politics are the transparet confirmation of that.

She speaks in French, her part is subtitled. Full interview at this BBC iPlayer link or in re runs on the BBC World News Channel: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07htb52/hardtalk-segolene-royal-french-environment-minister

Here's a Youtube excerpt of the interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT5VKD-h9F0

France will not have a referendum on whether the country should leave or remain in the European Union, the French Environment and Energy minister, Segolene Royal, has told BBC HARDtalk.

Asked whether this was undemocratic, Ms Royal said the question should not be about whether the country should stay or leave the EU, it should be about what sort of Europe you want, what the values are and what it does.
"Then you could have a democratic debate in a country, to find out what citizens want from Europe," she said.
The UK's vote to leave the European Union has seen far-right parties demanding referendums in other member states. France's National Front leader Marine Le Pen has said that the French must now also have the right to choose, while Dutch anti - immigration politician Geert Wilders and Italy's Northrn League have also called for referendums.