BREXIT vote aftermath

Poor Cameron..trying to use humour when it's not funny at all. Maybe he's trying to test his new career as a comedian..

After all he's the biggest joke of them all lol The fact they're not going to trigger article 50 any time soon is very telling. They just won't at this stage. They will pressurise the public into staying in the EU despise the referendum.. A lot of MPs are saying being out of the EU is not option. There's way too much at stake. They handled both campaigns really bad.. One person voted Leave because he thought it was about Cameron leaving or staying.. Others didn't even know what EU stands for..

There's way too many people regretting it and even the racists have realized that just because Leave has won that doesn't mean they're allowed to abuse or intimidate immigrants.. All in all, it was just another day in raining England; the rich becoming more and more selfish, the poor becoming more and more ignorant, the elite always thinking for their own interest and the queen still nowhere to be seen as usual. And of course the media having a field day!

This referendum was a joke and will stay one but I have no doubt the U.K. will stay in the EU in the end or they will reach some compromise.. But the UK completely out of the EU is unthinkable!

IKR

Well... We all know this is probably temporary but the pound keeps falling. It just hits a new low this morning.

It will take a few weeks before we see it back to what it was before the referendum.

True

You gotta love those that say "oh it's just been three days, what's a penny of difference in value?"

Not exactly a penny

8 months ago you would have needed €140 and $160 respectively to buy £100

Now €118 and $130 will suffice

That's a huge drop in 8 months time

utopia? it´s a must!!!!

the problem is that the mukltyinacionals and all the corporations have all the power

I know, but I'm so depressed with Spanish results in the elections that right now I have no hope hahaha

If you think this won't have some sort of negative impact on the economy while citing stock figures from the weekend I don't know what to tell you. You can continue making a fool of yourself on this topic or maybe listen to the people who know about this more than you. Try it you may learn something.

I said there will likely be some sort of impact - severity of which we don't know.

It's like knowing a hurricane is coming. Could be category 5 or it could be a tropical storm. But it's coming so deal with it.

GET ITTTTTT??? :inlove::rolleyes:

I've never said it won't have a negative impact on the economy in the short term. Of course it will. It happens every time there's a GE but it's just not normally reported.

Now could you point me to the people who know more about the FUTURE than I do? :rotfl: Or those that went to Cambridge to study Economics. Nobody in this thread is qualified to talk more than another and that's something you and others should learn. Now here is a future image of me reacting to the wild Hurricane.

original.gif

The situation with communities from Poland and Bulgaria in UK right now is NAUSEATING. Kids being abused in schools, people getting insulted in the street... WTF? There's nothing worse than legitimating racism, and that's what brexit has done for certain citizens. They may seem isolated cases, but it's really an alarming sign!

British authorities have to start working on it ASAP, because once the EU has to vote what happens with UK, the vote has to be validated by ALL countries, including Poland, Romania or Bulgaria. The slap in Cameron face will be so big that he will come back to London with the four fingers marked on his cheek.

By the way, Hollande is really doing a very hard campaign to make brexit as soon as possible and with no mercy. He's gathering with East countries to make a full front.

^ I think like Boris and Cameron not even Farrage was actually expecting nor hoping for a LEAVE result. Sad thing is how clownish this whole affair is shaping up to be. I don't mean British politicians but politicians and bureaucrats in general. The brunt is always left for the people to bear.

Merkel spoke and said Britain cannot continue to reap the benefits of the single market while not simultaneously sharing the problem of the refugee crisis.

Meanwhile there was a rally of Corbyn supporters in London and he made an appeal not to let the media divide the party

Angela Merkel: "Anyone who wants to be part of this family cannot expect to give up their duties while retaining their privileges. And that is valid for the UK as much as any other EU member."

"We will make sure that the negotiations with the UK will not be a matter of cherry picking"

How about Lichtenstein then? They gave up that all important immigration responsibility. The bullshit spewing from the mouths of these butthurt people is kind of sad. Dunno whether to laugh or cry.

You know though that Liechtenstein is just a very tiny place - basically just a valley with a handful of towns with below 40 000 people living there. You really want to compare that to the almighty UK. What about discussing the mindblowing issue why the Vatican doesn't take a fair share of 2000-4000 foreigners instead.

Farrage booed and jeered. He said that 17 years ago they laughed at him for declaring he would bring the UK out of the EU and "Look who's laughing now. There's no way Britain cannot have a free tariff relationship with the EU while still retaining full control of our borders" :blink:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36651406

The delusion is reaching dangerous limits. If that person thinks that, surely the average citizen still thinks that will happen?????

oh my... once the bubble burst for some people...

Exactly

It's crazy to think that you can have your cake and eat it to. All these years the UK found itself at the receiving end of so many concessions and exemptions from Brussels. Now Farrage is a small party populist but I hope any pro LEAVE Conservative or Labour would never give a speech like that

You cannot expect to enjoy the several privileges of membership and full single market access. And then say "we won't take any more refugees"

The Independent published an article about a theory put forward by a poster in the Guardian's comment section that has gone viral

People are really, really hoping this theory about David Cameron and Brexit is true

26809-1ejf05j.jpg
As the dust settles on the EU referendum battleground, some 33 million voters await with bated breath to see what the victors will do now that the nation has spoken to leave.
Political commentators forecast a dark future for the UK: Jeremy Corbyn has just sacked Hilary Benn to head off a coup, and Boris Johnson could be prime minister come November.
David Cameron’s decision to resign before enacting Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty, which sets out how a country could leave the EU, may have much bigger implications for Conservative hopefuls eyeing up the Prime Minister's seat than they bargained for.
While panic ensues, one person’s musings in the comments section of the Guardian has an interesting hypothesis on these complications:
If Boris Johnson looked downbeat yesterday, that is because he realises that he has lost.
Perhaps many Brexiters do not realise it yet, but they have actually lost, and it is all down to one man: David Cameron.
With one fell swoop yesterday at 9:15 am, Cameron effectively annulled the referendum result, and simultaneously destroyed the political careers of Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and leading Brexiters who cost him so much anguish, not to mention his premiership.
How?
Throughout the campaign, Cameron had repeatedly said that a vote for leave would lead to triggering Article 50 straight away. Whether implicitly or explicitly, the image was clear: he would be giving that notice under Article 50 the morning after a vote to leave. Whether that was scaremongering or not is a bit moot now but, in the midst of the sentimental nautical references of his speech yesterday, he quietly abandoned that position and handed the responsibility over to his successor.
And as the day wore on, the enormity of that step started to sink in: the markets, Sterling, Scotland, the Irish border, the Gibraltar border, the frontier at Calais, the need to continue compliance with all EU regulations for a free market, re-issuing passports, Brits abroad, EU citizens in Britain, the mountain of legislation to be torn up and rewritten ... the list grew and grew.
The referendum result is not binding. It is advisory. Parliament is not bound to commit itself in that same direction.
The Conservative party election that Cameron triggered will now have one question looming over it: will you, if elected as party leader, trigger the notice under Article 50?
Who will want to have the responsibility of all those ramifications and consequences on his/her head and shoulders?
Boris Johnson knew this yesterday, when he emerged subdued from his home and was even more subdued at the press conference. He has been out-manoeuvred and check-mated.
If he runs for leadership of the party, and then fails to follow through on triggering Article 50, then he is finished. If he does not run and effectively abandons the field, then he is finished. If he runs, wins and pulls the UK out of the EU, then it will all be over - Scotland will break away, there will be upheaval in Ireland, a recession ... broken trade agreements. Then he is also finished. Boris Johnson knows all of this. When he acts like the dumb blond it is just that: an act.
The Brexit leaders now have a result that they cannot use. For them, leadership of the Tory party has become a poison chalice.
When Boris Johnson said there was no need to trigger Article 50 straight away, what he really meant to say was "never". When Michael Gove went on and on about "informal negotiations" ... why? why not the formal ones straight away? ... he also meant not triggering the formal departure. They both know what a formal demarche would mean: an irreversible step that neither of them is prepared to take.
All that remains is for someone to have the guts to stand up and say that Brexit is unachievable in reality without an enormous amount of pain and destruction, that cannot be borne. And David Cameron has put the onus of making that statement on the heads of the people who led the Brexit campaign.
The comment, which was picked up on Twitter, has been shared thousands of times.
If true, that is some parting gift.
26809-1uzkkzc.JPG

The Independent published an article about a theory put forward by a poster in the Guardian's comment section that has gone viral

People are really, really hoping this theory about David Cameron and Brexit is true

26809-1ejf05j.jpg
As the dust settles on the EU referendum battleground, some 33 million voters await with bated breath to see what the victors will do now that the nation has spoken to leave.
Political commentators forecast a dark future for the UK: Jeremy Corbyn has just sacked Hilary Benn to head off a coup, and Boris Johnson could be prime minister come November.
David Cameron’s decision to resign before enacting Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty, which sets out how a country could leave the EU, may have much bigger implications for Conservative hopefuls eyeing up the Prime Minister's seat than they bargained for.
While panic ensues, one person’s musings in the comments section of the Guardian has an interesting hypothesis on these complications:
If Boris Johnson looked downbeat yesterday, that is because he realises that he has lost.
Perhaps many Brexiters do not realise it yet, but they have actually lost, and it is all down to one man: David Cameron.
With one fell swoop yesterday at 9:15 am, Cameron effectively annulled the referendum result, and simultaneously destroyed the political careers of Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and leading Brexiters who cost him so much anguish, not to mention his premiership.
How?
Throughout the campaign, Cameron had repeatedly said that a vote for leave would lead to triggering Article 50 straight away. Whether implicitly or explicitly, the image was clear: he would be giving that notice under Article 50 the morning after a vote to leave. Whether that was scaremongering or not is a bit moot now but, in the midst of the sentimental nautical references of his speech yesterday, he quietly abandoned that position and handed the responsibility over to his successor.
And as the day wore on, the enormity of that step started to sink in: the markets, Sterling, Scotland, the Irish border, the Gibraltar border, the frontier at Calais, the need to continue compliance with all EU regulations for a free market, re-issuing passports, Brits abroad, EU citizens in Britain, the mountain of legislation to be torn up and rewritten ... the list grew and grew.
The referendum result is not binding. It is advisory. Parliament is not bound to commit itself in that same direction.
The Conservative party election that Cameron triggered will now have one question looming over it: will you, if elected as party leader, trigger the notice under Article 50?
Who will want to have the responsibility of all those ramifications and consequences on his/her head and shoulders?
Boris Johnson knew this yesterday, when he emerged subdued from his home and was even more subdued at the press conference. He has been out-manoeuvred and check-mated.
If he runs for leadership of the party, and then fails to follow through on triggering Article 50, then he is finished. If he does not run and effectively abandons the field, then he is finished. If he runs, wins and pulls the UK out of the EU, then it will all be over - Scotland will break away, there will be upheaval in Ireland, a recession ... broken trade agreements. Then he is also finished. Boris Johnson knows all of this. When he acts like the dumb blond it is just that: an act.
The Brexit leaders now have a result that they cannot use. For them, leadership of the Tory party has become a poison chalice.
When Boris Johnson said there was no need to trigger Article 50 straight away, what he really meant to say was "never". When Michael Gove went on and on about "informal negotiations" ... why? why not the formal ones straight away? ... he also meant not triggering the formal departure. They both know what a formal demarche would mean: an irreversible step that neither of them is prepared to take.
All that remains is for someone to have the guts to stand up and say that Brexit is unachievable in reality without an enormous amount of pain and destruction, that cannot be borne. And David Cameron has put the onus of making that statement on the heads of the people who led the Brexit campaign.
The comment, which was picked up on Twitter, has been shared thousands of times.
If true, that is some parting gift.
26809-1uzkkzc.JPG

what a absurdity. Hopefully this isn't true. If it were, UK would be the biggest joke EVER, hahahahahahaha

what a mess

I always thought and for whatever reason simply assumed the British were way more liberal than the US just in terms of being open to all cultures. It saddens me to see that they also have this undercurrent of xenophobia and bigotry in their society. It makes me sick to watch it here, and it makes me sick to watch it there.

The world is going mad.

Damn like in the clip I posted Trump better lose BAD to show the world this is NOT the kind of country we want to be.

Saw this today and it is as I feared

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj8sjFiBs0Q

Brexit has emboldened those who are racist and homophobic. Many people are angry about what's happened & rightly fearful for the future, we may see hard won protections on rights and working conditions rolled back... now we have increased physical attacks on minorities and this vile attempt to further marginalise gay people by inferring that we are to blame for this mess...

Being an American, here's another thing I don't understand, why did they have a referendum on this to begin with?

We have referendums but they are on local relatively simple things like legalizing marijuana or raising the minimum wage, not really complex things like being part of the EU that affects other countries and the whole world economy.

It doesn't seem like the appropriate type of issue to be having a referendum on.

The US Constitution gives the president the exclusive right to negotiate agreements with other countries subject to the approval of Congress. In the US, we don't have referendums on whether to have an agreement or alliance with other countries, which makes a lot more sense to me.

BrendanT1993, on 28 Jun 2016 - 11:10 AM, said:BrendanT1993, on 28 Jun 2016 - 11:10 AM, said:
Saw this today and it is as I feared

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj8sjFiBs0Q

Brexit has emboldened those who are racist and homophobic. Many people are angry about what's happened & rightly fearful for the future, we may see hard won protections on rights and working conditions rolled back... now we have increased physical attacks on minorities and this vile attempt to further marginalise gay people by inferring that we are to blame for this mess...

Awful.

This is what scares me if Trump wins. His inauguration is going to be one huge gathering of every bigot left in the US acting like animals who are going to feel like they have been validated and have a free pass to treat other people like shit. The closet they have been hiding in.....Those closet doors are going to be blown off and it is going to release ugliness the likes this country hasn't seen since the clash between people during the civil rights days.

This is why people need to swallow their pride and not waste their votes on a Bernie write in, or vote for this chick Jill Stein that I keep hearing about. It is a WASTE! Too much is at stake this election. We are literally talking about the future of our country at this point and beyond that the Supreme Court REALLY is at stake.

The Us electoral system is so different than the British voting system for the Brexit referendum where they added all the votes together no matter where the people lived.

We vote state by state, and each state has electoral votes based on the population. Trump has no chance to win most northeast states and California, so his only chance is to win the swing states like Ohio. Pennsylvania and Florida.

So Hillary just has to hold the line on a few states and she will win. You get the electoral votes of a state no matter how small a margin you win that state by.

I don't see Trump winning based on our system. The popular vote may be close, but Hillary will win the electoral vote by a big margin.

I think our Founding Fathers were a lot smarter than we give them credit for in setting up the voting system the way it is.