BREXIT vote aftermath

A SKY news poll? Ok.

Those figures just back up what's already been said about the views of those who actually DID vote. Nor is It a big surprise to see what demographic is the most politically apathetic.

I'll wait for the real figures though.

Guest Pud Whacker

Funny you should say that because everytime I type Pud's name it autocorrects to pudding LOL. One of these days I won't catch it ..

I've decided that will be his new name - Pudin.

Pudding on Sundays.

I LOVE VANILLA PUDDING!!!

According to this poll, it wasn't the oldies who ruined the youngsters vote, the youngsters just didn't bother. :o

ClziHSkWgAEesgG.jpg

If this data matches the final result the young will need to hang their heads in shame.

If this data matches the final result the young will need to hang their heads in shame.

The same thing can be said in this country. Every young person I know was a Bernie loon. When it came time to actually vote. Hardly any of them bothered,

You want to shake them and say, "You know. Posting pro Bernie stuff on facebook and attending a rally or two does not help the man get elected. You do actually have to get off your ass and vote.....Or fucking REGISTER to begin with!!!!"

Grosses me out how out of touch so many young people are because their lack of involvement is only letting outdated views and political polices that should have been swept under the rug for good a decade or more ago stick around that much longer, because old republican people always show up to the polls.

I was called racist for making a joke about a hotdog and not taking the plight of the situation seriously. Stereotyping and pigeon holing is the absolute worst. I'm so anti social media at the moment it's bordering on bitter :rotfl:

Woah, who called you racist for making a joke about hotdogs?

The same thing can be said in this country. Every young person I know was a Bernie loon. When it came time to actually vote. Hardly any of them bothered,

That is a problem. Likely many of those kids are supporting who they think is popular to vote. Kids are impressionable like that. Not many kids are really thinking about the economy and social issues enough to actually vote though.

Guest Rachelle of London

Isn't it a shame that Corbyn was heckled at gay pride yesterday. He's been championing gay rights, marriage and adoption for longer than its been popular to do so.

Isn't it a shame that Corbyn was heckled at gay pride yesterday. He's been championing gay rights, marriage and adoption for longer than its been popular to do so.

I saw the video though and everything the gay said did seem pretty accurate if somewhat aggressive.

Nobody's saying voters should be ignored on the whim of a few. But voters are often uninformed on major issues with irreversible consequences. Like the article said, we're not talking about making a tax or policy change that can be fixed if it doesn't work out. Countries don't vote to break up or go to war based on the popular vote for this reason because not everyone has all the information to make such far-reaching decisions. Have referendums on social policy issues, sure, but the prospect of secession from the EU should never have been a referendum topic, just as Americans would think it's ludicrous to suggest that secession is a desirable fix for the issues we have with the government.

I feel like you're making a lot of comparisons to the US political situation, when the reality is this is completely different for many reasons most Americans don't understand.

Great post!

Be wary of the low information voter.

It was terrible. I love sexy Jezza!

unlike the assembly election Arlene Foster can’t claim she won this one. In fact she was decisively defeated 56 per cent- 44 per cent.

When it comes to talking about the EU she doesn’t speak for people here in Northern Ireland, not even for many unionists in the north. The 56 per cent for Remain has to include unionists and it does. For example North Down, not known for its rabid republicanism, voted 52 per cent-48 per cent Remain.

Her reaction has been to talk only about the UK vote ignoring the truth that the majority of people here do not believe it is in their best interests to leave the EU. Foster harps on about the nonsense of returning sovereignty to the UK inexplicably ignoring the disastrous effects of the vote on the north’s agriculture and manufacturing.

In an extraordinary piece in the Belfast Telegraph advocating Leave she never once mentioned agriculture, manufacturing or remarkably, the Republic. Not a word about the billions in cross-border trade every year or the fact that companies in the Republic own most of the north’s food processing plants. Obviously the tens of thousands of jobs cross border trade supports don’t matter. After all, she didn’t mention them.

It seems the mentality on Planet Arlene is that the sea is a hundred miles from Enniskillen because thirty miles west of Enniskillen the world comes to an end. How can she ignore because of political dogma that 87 per cent of farm revenue here comes from the Single Farm Payment? A staggering figure. Last year there were 30,000 applications for SFP in the north. In short the north’s agricultural sector is not viable without the EU and many of its farmers are strong DUP supporters.

Still, none of it matters because, despite Foster’s ridiculous claim that the north ‘is a key part of the UK’, the majority of English, note English, people ignored the consequences for the north as resolutely as Foster ignores the existence of the Republic. The north of Ireland is dragged inexorably in the wake just like Scotland.

If Arlene Foster’s representation of the interests of people as uncontestably expressed here has been woefully inadequate, then Sinn Féin’s response has been laughably inadequate, absurdly so. A referendum on a united Ireland? Look, as you’ve read repeatedly the Northern Ireland Act 1998 empowers a secretary of state alone to call a referendum only if it appears likely a majority will vote for a united Ireland. Currently that means if a proconsul called a referendum the decision would be overturned in court. Get real.

It’s time for new thinking. As a result of when the UK leaves in a couple of years the Irish government will have to negotiate a wide-ranging bi-lateral arrangement with the UK about free travel and border controls but also rewriting parts of the Good Friday Agreement because EU membership is assumed in much of the GFA. Sinn Féin as part of the north’s administration must be involved in those negotiations. So too Arlene Foster and her band of backwoodsmen though they won’t like it, but no British government is going to jeopardise friendly relations with Dublin to placate ‘that lot’ as Conservatives call the DUP.

The inevitability of such negotiations is an opportunity for Sinn Féin and northern nationalists to tighten relations with the Republic in ways that benefit all the people on this island. Nothing will happen in the short term until the dust settles but now is the time for people in Sinn Féin to start thinking about how they can best act in the interests of all the people in the north since the DUP have clearly demonstrated they can’t. So, new horizons.

Wow the agriculture is really going to suffer. There are so many issues and connections with EU in every country that it's difficult to remind them all, but farmers will face a really tough time unless British government really spends millions each year

This is what happens when you give votes to ignorants. This country really played lottery with this referendum! Everybody even Farage never expected the English would be so stupid to vote Leave.. They must have underestimated the power of the brainwashing media and racism! Now they don't know what to do... Cameron quickly washed his hands clean as expected. These people were unprepared at all. They really didn't think the country would be so stupid to vote out! We are talking about over 20 years of relations, connections, trades, rules, laws, loans, give outs, etc... All of that just out of the window because of people's ignorance! Truly this country is going backwards! I pay to God the parliament is going to stop this nonsense! Even Farage is saying we should have a second referendum! Haha he knows he fucked up good! They handled this campaign so bad! They were not very clear about the economic consequences or if they were they weren't convincing enough. All they did is to use immigration as their winning argument. Yes, there are immigrants.. So what? They're everywhere in the west... Not just in the UK. They're human being just like anybody else. They need help and support. It's an issue the whole continent is facing at the moment and only together we could have helped each other to tackle the problem.. And I'm not even mentioning the UK didn't even get that many like in the case of Germany or France or Italy. Why wasn't that widely reported?! Oh yeah, let's just say immigrants are stealing our wealth and people will resent them and want them out.. Honestly it's a rerun of Germany 1930's! Blame the different! Blame the immigrants.. When historically and economically speaking a diverse, global and unified society brings prosperity. Can you imagine if they actually give jobs or create opportunities to every immigrant coming to Europe how rich the economy would actually get? We see them as problems not as opportunities.

If there's a lesson

I'm supposed to learn in this case

Ignorance is not bliss

The same happens in Catalonia right now. Politicians are playing with fire too, just to get a better deal from Madrid

Good thing about referéndums though is that once they are made, that issue is solved and effort goes to work on the consequences . I wish there was a referendum in Catalonia so they stop moaning each day. I'd rather face the consequences

The same happens in Catalonia right now. Politicians are playing with fire too, just to get a better deal from Madrid

Good thing about referéndums though is that once they are made, that issue is solved and effort goes to work on the consequences . I wish there was a referendum in Catalonia so they stop moaning each day. I'd rather face the consequences

yes, apparently. But on the other hand you hear that an spanish minister has been working to go against the public healther system in catalonia...if that is a reality, I can´t blame catalonians wanting to be independent.although it seems to me is more the good old blame another person system: spain, Europe, ETA...