BREXIT vote aftermath

Can someone explain how the Brexit affects people concretely? I've been reading online from people who are from other EU countries who are working and living permanently in the UK that this will have a bad effect on them and they may even be asked to leave the UK?

But if they want to live there permanently why don't they just become British citizens or apply for some kind of permanent residency? But I guess they want to have the freedom to move around to different countries without all the red tape?

Can someone explain how the Brexit affects people concretely? I've been reading online from people who are from other EU countries who are working and living permanently in the UK that this will have a bad effect on them and they may even be asked to leave the UK?

But if they want to live there permanently why don't they just become British citizens or apply for some kind of permanent residency? But I guess they want to have the freedom to move around to different countries without all the red tape?

No-one actually knows what happens next. Which is one of the problems.

It could take about two years, maybe even more to actually leave. So it'll just be uncertainty for the foreseeable future.

Someone said to me it's like if New York and California decided to leave the US. But I thought the EU was more of a looser economic cooperative thing so it's not really the same. The countries like the UK always still had their own government, so I don't see what it is they wanted to be free from or why they thought the EU was controlling them.

To apply for British citizenship you need to have permanent residency certificate/ card. You can apply for one after 5 years of legally living in UK. Next you need to pass English and living in UK exam for which u have to pay and then pay £1250 for the actual application. It's not cheap.

But right now if you are from another EU country, you could just move there and work there without any special card or residency?

Correct

Got it! We don't have that type of cooperation between the US and Canada here. You can't just move to Canada from the US or vice versa. You have to go through a lot of red tape to get a work visa or permanent residency card.

I think the Queen Elizabeth apparently neutrality or even a bit sympathetic to the 'leave' movement played a big role on this result.

To apply for British citizenship you need to have permanent residency certificate/ card. You can apply for one after 5 years of legally living in UK. Next you need to pass English and living in UK exam for which u have to pay and then pay £1250 for the actual application. It's not cheap.

Those rules will change.

Someone said to me it's like if New York and California decided to leave the US. But I thought the EU was more of a looser economic cooperative thing so it's not really the same. The countries like the UK always still had their own government, so I don't see what it is they wanted to be free from or why they thought the EU was controlling them.

Immigration.

Guest Mauro

Well Queen Elizabeth has lived through so many things that for her this is just like eating cheese

More like drinking gin at 10:30am.

Guest Pud Whacker

How long before Madonna has an Instagram post declaring

"We need a borderless world, we are all one...

Unless there's a world tax on my money!!!!"

How long before Madonna has an Instagram post declaring

"We need a borderless world, we are all one...

Unless there's a world tax on my money!!!!"

News flash, as an American citizen there is a world tax on your money.