2016 Pulse Nightclub mass shooting

Seems as if nothing will ever change. Totally depressing that they could not even pass a measure to ensure more back ground checks on gun buyers. The NRA have too much power.

I think it could change if it were republicans who were suddenly affected.

A few mass casualties of 'their' people and suddenly things would need to change.

Their people are getting shot every day of the week. It doesn't matter. What the NRA says, goes.

Excuse my ignorance, but why does the NRA have so much power ? I have watched a lot of news stories and discussions on gun control and their power in U.S. Politics is always brought up. They don't seem to have any grey areas in their thinking which is so rigid and dangerous.

What Americans need to do is get a democratic senate (and house, though that's less likely) and push them to do what they did in 2009/2010 times a million. Which is push through divisive, controversial legislation at the risk of their own careers in order to ensure the safety of this countries citizens. They did it in 2010 with Obamacare and paid big political prices for it. But they'll be seen as heroes for it.

It's the only way to flatten the NRA. Republicans are hanging by a thread - their party is on life support, they've just nominated a braindead bigot, and they're in too much disarray to even care about anything other than money. And they have congressional power in large numbers. They're responsible for ignoring important legislation on this issue, and with any luck at all, they'll pay for it in a few months.

Excuse my ignorance, but why does the NRA have so much power ? I have watched a lot of news stories and discussions on gun control and their power in U.S. Politics is always brought up. They don't seem to have any grey areas in their thinking which is so rigid and dangerous.

Yes i don't get how a gun club has so much power either.

Not sure how you're inferring that from what I wrote, if that was a response to it.

Not from what you wrote. Moreso from the fact that Americans seem pretty lacking in hope at a time when they should be fighting every day! That and the talk of the NRA having so much clout. It's not good situation is it?

Guest Rachelle of London

Excuse my ignorance but I think a lot of Americans are so used to this situation. I'm not referring to anyone on here but I think there's s group of people who think all countries have the same gun laws as they do. They're just complacent as to them "it's the norm."

Not from what you wrote. Moreso from the fact that Americans seem pretty lacking in hope at a time when they should be fighting every day! That and the talk of the NRA having so much clout. It's not good situation is it?

The NRA owns half of congress. There's a lot to this very complex issue, but that's the core of it. We have elections every 2 years though. The issue of gun safety is slowly taking shape the way gay rights did 4 years ago. The American public retaliates pretty quickly against politicians who dig in their heels on the wrong side of history. The issue is, the GOP have big numbers in congress, and they're blocking any solutions to this problem.

The GOP currently has a firewall in the form of gerrymandered districts, so they maintain political power despite hardly deserving it. They were smart 6 or so years ago. They whipped up a bunch of racially charged fear about Obama, and rigged the midterms by drawing congressional district maps that favored them and marginalized democrats. But this method is a temporary paradise for them. The numbers really don't stack up well in their favor at all - gerrymandering doesn't last you forever. Population shifts, and we have a census in 2020.

The more they continue fucking up, the more they'll have to roll over on certain issues, and this is one of them. They used to yak it up all the time trying to deny gay people their rights. Now that they see just how wrong they were, they've gone radio silent. Healthcare too. They know that's becoming a losing issue for them.

The GOP needs a makeover so badly. I feel like they're going to have to die an ugly death before being resurrected or replaced by something different. And they just nominated Donald Trump. If Trump keeps his cartoonish and pathetic campaign up, they run a risk of having a brutal November. Which is bad for them, but good for the country. They need to get it together. We cant just have 1 functioning party.

Excuse my ignorance but I think a lot of Americans are so used to this situation. I'm not referring to anyone on here but I think there's s group of people who think all countries have the same gun laws as they do. They're just complacent as to them "it's the norm."

They're not. The numbers supporting safe gun measures are overwhelming. The problem is half of congress is corrupt and won't honor their constituents wishes.

I understand that the government is corrupt but where are the rallies? Where are the peaceful protests? I have really not seen much at all. If 50 people were shot dead in my area there would be an extreme uproar for a very long time. America needs to change its culture as much as its government.

I understand that the government is corrupt but where are the rallies? Where are the peaceful protests? I have really not seen much at all. If 50 people were shot dead in my area there would be an extreme uproar for a very long time. America needs to change its culture as much as its government.

We just had a senator filibuster for 15 hours on the floor of the Senate, helped by I think 10 other democrats - where have you been? There's Moms Demand Action, countless super pacs against gun violence, and the Brady Campaign. All of those have been around for years.

Maybe it's because you dont live here and just react to what you see in this thread.

We just had a senator filibuster for 15 hours on the floor of the Senate, helped by I think 10 other democrats - where have you been? There's Moms Demand Action, countless super pacs against gun violence, and the Brady Campaign. All of those have been around for years.

Maybe it's because you dont live here and just react to what you see in this thread.

I'm talking about world media. I don't live there and you're right...that probably precludes me from seeing people taking action. It's just strange to me. It's like the vast majority of the country has been brainwashed by fear and are more scared of change than being shot by somebody holding an M16 AR. I just honestly cannot understand it. I would expect at least 80% of the country to be up in arms because of this situation and doing something about it.

If Kim Jong Un proposed that every individual in North Korea had a big red button to protect themselves we would think that was insane right? It's no different. This situation is just so crazy. Most cultures develop and move on for better but somehow America is stuck in some misinterpreted legislation from hundreds of years ago. What is effectively a clerical/communication error has led to mass killings over and over. The second amendment was written during a time of civil war when firearms weren't automatic and a single shot and reload took half a minute or so. It wasn't designed to say 'Yeah, have a gun and shoot some people. Why not?'. It was supposed to be protecting people. Ugh, it's so ridiculous.

Well clearly you can see that there is a huge faction of this country that is pretty uneducated and ignorant. They're not a majority; not even close. But they're large enough to inflict incredible damage. They brought us Donald Trump. They're loud and stubborn. As their population dwindles, they get crazier and crazier. And they happen to elect lots of republicans who feed their ignorance and bigotry to keep their pockets full. It's a very toxic relationship.

But what goes up must come down. It's horrific that for this issue to gain steam, people have to die. That's the sickest part. We wouldn't have the current rumblings and movement on this issue had 49 people - mostly gay and Hispanic - in the city I live in gotten murdered. The same thing happened in 2012 at Sandy Hook.

I'm just going to hope for the best and contribute how I can without getting caught up in the toxicity of the debate. That's what the NRA wants, cuz that makes them stronger. Putting spineless people in Washington out of work is how we win this. Plain and simple.

They're not. The numbers supporting safe gun measures are overwhelming. The problem is half of congress is corrupt and won't honor their constituents wishes.

Yes, I have picked up just how many people and groups want gun control in America. Thanks for your explanations as I know I am ignorant in these matters as don't live in the USA and just watch news reports and read articles in newspapers and online. It is always great to hear from people that live in the USA and understand exactly why and what is happening in their country's politics and can explain it to others.

Yes, I have picked up just how many people and groups want gun control in America. Thanks for your explanations as I know I am ignorant in these matters as don't live in the USA and just watch news reports and read articles in newspapers and online. It is always great to hear from people that live in the USA and understand exactly why and what is happening in their country's politics and can explain it to others.

Yes but you are very passionate and opinionated about other things (as we all are). I think keeping up with what's in the media and communicating with people who live in the country doesn't make you ignorant...

I'm happy to break this issue down for people who don't live there. It's important that the rest of the world knows. I love my country. I'm proud of it. And it's not perfect. This issue - like many before it, is an immense domestic problem that will take the bravery of many right thinking Americans to fix it. The scary part is that people's lives are at stake and that makes it all the more darkly unique. Healthcare, equality, economic ruin... All incredibly important. But this is an entirely new frontier that will take a lot of work. It's up to us and voices and congress to keep the issue at the forefront

Guest Rachelle of London

Terrible. Let's hope one day something happens. I can't not compare this to when the Dunblane school massacre happened in Scotland and it only took the government a few months to not just bring in stronger gun control laws but a complete ban on automatic guns. How many more innocent people have to die before Congress takes note?

Yes but you are very passionate and opinionated about other things (as we all are). I think keeping up with what's in the media and communicating with people who live in the country doesn't make you ignorant...

Not so much ignorant, but I do believe that we don't know the full picture of what is happening in places unless we live there. Exactly the same as the thread here about England leaving the UE. I love reading what people in Europe are saying as it is such a foreign concept and issue to me as well although I am reading about it. I could tell you all about the Australian election campaign but it is as boring as hell.

Well clearly you can see that there is a huge faction of this country that is pretty uneducated and ignorant. They're not a majority; not even close. But they're large enough to inflict incredible damage. They brought us Donald Trump. They're loud and stubborn. As their population dwindles, they get crazier and crazier. And they happen to elect lots of republicans who feed their ignorance and bigotry to keep their pockets full. It's a very toxic relationship.

But what goes up must come down. It's horrific that for this issue to gain steam, people have to die. That's the sickest part. We wouldn't have the current rumblings and movement on this issue had 49 people - mostly gay and Hispanic - in the city I live in gotten murdered. The same thing happened in 2012 at Sandy Hook.

I'm just going to hope for the best and contribute how I can without getting caught up in the toxicity of the debate. That's what the NRA wants, cuz that makes them stronger. Putting spineless people in Washington out of work is how we win this. Plain and simple.

I have a solution. You should shoot all NRA images with pain ball guns (red paint).

Do you know what? I'm kind of a wild person but I'm extremely peaceful. I LOVE guns. Doesn't mean I would ever want to hold one if I didn't have to. I just don't understand how a country built on 'freedom' is accepting this racism, sexism, homophobia, xenophobia, and religious intolerance that is so evident. I saw a clip of that 'Sue' lady from Glee on Masterchef referring to people as 'the black one', 'the cute asian', the 'beastly one' and I was so shocked. :lmao: I'm actually quite subversive but there's a difference between being subversive and just kind of...intolerant.

Not so much ignorant, but I do believe that we don't know the full picture of what is happening in places unless we live there. Exactly the same as the thread here about the UK leaving the UE. I love reading what people in Europe are saying as it is such a foreign concept and issue to me as well although I am reading about it. I could tell you all about the Australian election campaign but it is as boring as hell.

Try telling this to the people who know everything about Guy Ritchie and Madonna's children. :lmao:

I'm happy to break this issue down for people who don't live there. It's important that the rest of the world knows. I love my country. I'm proud of it. And it's not perfect. This issue - like many before it, is an immense domestic problem that will take the bravery of many right thinking Americans to fix it. The scary part is that people's lives are at stake and that makes it all the more darkly unique. Healthcare, equality, economic ruin... All incredibly important. But this is an entirely new frontier that will take a lot of work. It's up to us and voices and congress to keep the issue at the forefront

I'm not trying to embarrass America. I love Americans. I know I have a history of jibing at yank lifestyle...but I wouldn't be so insensitive about something this important. I want nothing but a better life for all people...no matter where they are from. I just really want Americans to take the wheel and stop being so submissive to these ridiculous cultures. These cultures need to DIE. They are ugly and hateful cultures.

I'm not trying to embarrass America. I love Americans. I know I have a history of jibing at yank lifestyle...but I wouldn't be so insensitive about something this important. I want nothing but a better life for all people...no matter where they are from. I just really want Americans to take the wheel and stop being so submissive to these ridiculous cultures. These cultures need to DIE. They are ugly and hateful cultures.

I didn't think you were trying to embarrass America, but even if you were my attitude would still be the same. After all my feelings about my home country, and what has just happened at Pulse, basically obliterate any ridicule or mocking you or anyone could throw at America. It truly has zero ability to wind me up anymore after June 12.