Britain votes in favor for Brexit

XXL

http://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-politics-36570120

6a02d0e7-5431-4163-bf56-3e3a316b557f.jpg

Remain campaigner Stanley Johnson says he hopes his son Boris will put his name forward to lead the Conservative Party. "He stands a chance of making the shortlist," he tells the BBC. Sporting a "Remain for Nature" t-shirt, Mr Johnson senior says he backed the Remain campaign for environmental reasons.

If Boris does compete to be Tory leader, his father adds: "I hope he takes good notice of the environmental dimension of the whole thing." But he says Boris' press conference following the Brexit result was "statesmanlike".

Cuz people in my profession aren't supposed 2 b 'qualified' anymore, & those who r, r not being payed correctly.

& Cuz major corporations r only interested in catchy clickbait shit that fancy people use on their app 4 their digital subscription.

I'm so tired of these '5 Things U Need 2 Know About....*insert cunt word here*'-articles

on newspaper sites, that then make the rounds all over the internet... :rolleyes:

Yeah another Journalist here, that makes three of us with Karby :)

They replaced us with bloggers they don't have to pay. The new work law they passed here has an article that changes our status, making us self employed. Isn't it nice ? By making our job insecure they are muzzling us up.

Liberation (one of the biggest lefty daily here) has apointed an ex blogger co-editor of the paper.

Look at the Daily Mail : it's 50% racist articles and 50% about Kim Kardashian's sweat marks on her clothes. Every billionaire in the world owns a media group ans it's not for philantropic reasons....

As a Non-EU and a Non-American the only thing I can say is that nearly everyone I know is opposed to Trump whereas the Brexit was treated with ambivalence. I think the majority of people are united in that he would be a horrible President.

There's a segment of the population here in America - a good third I'd say - that is stupid and hateful enough to love the guy. But they are not a majority. They are just very loud. Like him.

Latinos won't vote for him. Young people won't vote for him. Blacks, asians, nope. Women, nope. All the polls just show him winning white men... and not by a whole lot. A lot can happen. But today, America is not happy with the thought of him.

Brexit: Nicola Sturgeon says second Scottish independence vote 'highly likely'

brexit-682996.jpg

Scotland's first minister has said a second independence referendum is "highly likely" after the UK voted to leave the EU.

Nicola Sturgeon said it was "democratically unacceptable" that Scotland faced the prospect of being taken out of the EU against its will.

She said the Scottish government would begin preparing legislation to enable another independence vote.

Scotland voted in favour of the UK staying in the EU by 62% to 38%.

The UK as a whole has voted to leave, by a margin of 52% to 48%, prompting David Cameron to announce he would stand down as prime minister by October.

Five facts from the EU referendum vote in Scotland

At a news conference in Edinburgh, Ms Sturgeon said the UK vote would lead to a "significant and material change" to the UK constitution.

The SNP manifesto for the Scottish Parliament election in May laid down that condition for a second independence vote.

The first minister said that option was now "on the table" and that many people who voted against independence in 2014 would be reassessing their decision.

Ms Sturgeon said there was a significant divergence between Scotland and the rest of Britain which she deeply regretted.

She said her priority was to reassure the people of Scotland about their immediate future and she would explore all options to secure Scotland's place in the European Union.

The Scottish cabinet will meet on Saturday to discuss its next steps.

Ms Sturgeon said: "After a campaign that has been characterised in the rest of the UK by fear and hate, my priority in the days, weeks and months ahead will be to act at all times in the best interests of Scotland and in a way that unites, not divides us.

"Let me be clear about this. Whatever happens as a result of this outcome, England, Wales and Northern Ireland will always be Scotland's closest neighbours and our best friends - nothing will change that.

"But I want to leave no-one in any doubt about this. I am proud of Scotland and how we voted yesterday.

"We proved that we are a modern, outward looking and inclusive country and we said clearly that we do not want to leave the European Union

"I am determine to do what it takes to make sure these aspirations are realised."

The media are doing a nasty job for some time now. Here in France we have weekly front covers of news magazines blaming migrants and immigration for everything It plants seeds in the public opinion minds in the long run. By doing this we just avoid looking at the real problems and culprits who are impacting people's everyday lives with consequences like Brexit and the high possibility the far right wing to win presidential elections in major countries.

This! The media preys on the ignorance and sways public opinion with its nonsense. Can't believe England fell for that one. Absolutely gobsmacked this country has actually voted out!

People don't want to hear the word racism but guess what guys? It's alive and well. I live in Birmingham ( uk, obvs) and you have no idea the amount of people deciding to quit because they are fed up with immigrants and they simply hate them! At the poll station you had kids as young as 12 with their chavved up parents shouting F** k off back home polish b.....s! They were just shouting just like that... Only because across the road there was a Polish owned shop. Some people went in dressed as if they were going to an England match. I felt disgusted and honestly if the country gives vote to people like that and they elect another prime minister they might as well vote for Hitler! Honest I've never felt so ashamed in my life..

You already know the answer to that.

Does every citizen of any country or parliament "vote" for every piece of legislation?

Bait, bait bait.

Well yes, in Australia voting is compulsory. Meaning once you turn 18 you must enroll to vote and if you don't you receive a fine. In every election we elect upper and lower houses of parliament. Each piece of legislation passed in the Upper house by the Government is then passed to the senate (lower) house to be voted on and enacted into law. This makes it more difficult to pass legislation because the Government doesn't generally hold a majority in the senate. Generally the two major Australian political parties (Labor and Liberal/Nationals) campaign their proposed policies that they wish to pursue if elected into Government. When Australians vote (which we will be doing in less than 2 weeks) we generally vote towards specific policies proposed by political parties and therefore elect a Government. The leader of that party is nominated Prime Minister. This is why in the last 8-9 years we have had 2 different governments but 5 different PMs.

My question on how the EU works was a genuine one.

Part of me wants THIS kind of Europe to collapse hard, since it made a lot of mistakes in the past few years and was just about economy, burocracy and austerity and was unable to solve political problems, like the refugees crisis or the Greek situation. However, I realized that EU can be still a positive thing.It just needs to be more political, human and closer to european citizens and their real needs, not just a bunch of economic and sometimes absurd rules...

We have so little info about what really happens in the ultra big elites, we can just speculate. TTIP, new cold war with Russia being artificially built, terrorism growing because it suits NATO...

We have very little real information

Well yes, in Australia voting is compulsory. Meaning once you turn 18 you must enroll to vote and if you don't you receive a fine. In every election we elect upper and lower houses of parliament. Each piece of legislation passed in the Upper house by the Government is then passed to the senate (lower) house to be voted on and enacted into law. This makes it more difficult to pass legislation because the Government doesn't generally hold a majority in the senate. Generally the two major Australian political parties (Labor and Liberal/Nationals) campaign their proposed policies that they wish to pursue if elected into Government. When Australians vote (which we will be doing in less than 2 weeks) we generally vote towards specific policies proposed by political parties and therefore elect a Government. The leader of that party is nominated Prime Minister. This is why in the last 8-9 years we have had 2 different governments but 5 different PMs.

My question on how the EU works was a genuine one.

Well yes, I'm aware that Australia operates a traditional democratic parliamentary system, just as I thought you'd know that Europeans vote for MEPs to represent them in the European parliament. While you have a general idea of party policies from their manifesto, you obviously don't know every piece of legislation that will go through the Australian parliament and nor do you get to vote on them; your representative does. Same as Europe.

Part of me wants THIS kind of Europe to collapse hard, since it made a lot of mistakes in the past few years and was just about economy, burocracy and austerity and was unable to solve political problems, like the refugees crisis or the Greek situation. However, I realized that EU can be still a positive thing.It just needs to be more political, human and closer to european citizens and their real needs, not just a bunch of economic and sometimes absurd rules...

My thoughts too. If there's one thing they have done which was really good was standing up to the Googles and Apples as far as tax matters go. Or at least starting. The problem is 27 different nations of which 19 share a common currency but have 19 different fiscal and working systems etc

That is a joke and it's obviously going to cause problems in the end. And yes let's not talk about the handling of the refugee crisis, awful. You're either part of a Union and every member contributes or there's no point in having a Union to begin with

I'm sorry but this whole TTIp thing being thrown around gets on my nerves

It's no different from ur stardard corporate/political/lobby whoring..it's disgusting

but not inherent 2 the EU.

It's (sadly) the way of the world

United Kingdom not so United anymore....

If only all this lead to a better EU... No more megapower from a couple of countries but a place to develop and be better.

If only Brussels took notes...

Signed

Maybe the only good thing who could/should come out of this

We have so little info about what really happens in the ultra big elites, we can just speculate. TTIP, new cold war with Russia being artificially built, terrorism growing because it suits NATO...

We have very little real information

Yes and they make sure to let very little information out in the first place :lol: That's the goal

That's why journalists are banned from those Bilderberg meetings :rotfl:

Why would they ban cameras and reporters?

I'm sorry but this whole TTIp thing being thrown around gets on my nerves

It's no different from ur stardard corporate/political/lobby whoring..it's disgusting

but not inherent 2 the EU.

It's (sadly) the way of the world

United Kingdom not so United anymore....

TTIP

A joke that corporate America is desperate to force down European consumers

Because most of Europe hasn't said yes to being flooded with GMO food

Yet

Exactly. Cameron can F off now. People forget he wanted to LEAVE the EU but only decided to stay after meetings with Merkel. Shady business. Shady.

THIS

Wow JK always spot on

But to be fair, it's always better to give green light to referendum than to forbid them, like Spain does with catalonia.

Just one question: can Scotland ask for a referendum? Or is it the Prime minister who has to decide?

Well yes, I'm aware that Australia operates a traditional democratic parliamentary system, just as I thought you'd know that Europeans vote for MEPs to represent them in the European parliament. While you have a general idea of party policies from their manifesto, you obviously don't know every piece of legislation that will to go through the Australian parliament and nor do you get to vote on them; your representative does. Same as Europe.

Sorry I didn't. I always thought it was like the UN or something where the political party in power nominated a representative. It seems weird to me then that EU parliament elections are not so much widely reported in the media as much as elections in EU nations are.

Speaking of the UK specifically though, how do they/you elect MEPs? Do they campaign like they would a national election? Wikipedia tells me they have 72 MEPs. What happens (and it does seem illogical) but if the political party in power nationally disagrees with the MEPs?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36618317

UK 'must not delay leaving'

_90085269_033687571-1.jpg
EU leaders have insisted that the UK must move swiftly to negotiate leaving the organisation, saying any delay would prolong uncertainty
European Commission head Jean-Claude Juncker stressed the "Union of the remaining 27 members will continue".
The UK voted by 52% to 48% to leave the EU, and David Cameron has announced he will step down as PM by October.
He has said it will be up to the new PM to invoke the article that will begin the UK's withdrawal.
Global stock markets fell heavily on the Brexit news and the value of the pound has also fallen dramatically.

Sorry to say, but I hope Great Britain will fail so hard on their own.... why the hell do they think they are better than the rest? Ugh! I'm so mad all day already!