Killing of gorilla to save boy at Ohio zoo sparks outrage

The bashing of the parents (by name) is uncalled for.

I still think kids are undisciplined, parents are stupid, and they ruin everything for everyone.

19cef524ba84e5645f7cf8930384c127.jpg

Lol!!! Not meeeeee. I'm not stupid but yeah some parents can be stupid.

the little boy died?

No, no, sorry, that was confusing, I mean, they're mad that the Gorilla died, instead of the child. He survived. Had he died, it would've just been a freak accident. The gorilla dying is an international tragedy :dead:

WELL....THEY'RE NOT MAD THAT THE GORILLA DIED INSTEAD OF THE EVIL CHILD....

...THEY'RE MAD BECAUSE A GORILLA HAS BEEN KILLED BECAUSE A MOM COULDN'T CARE LESS WHAT HIS CHILD WAS DOING AND THEN WAS SAVED BY THE HANDS OF GOD.....

I don't know the full story but I got kids and all I'm saying that young kids do slip away, it happens to every parent and it's the most scariest shit when you lose them. We all done things stupid as kid that our mothers probably smack the shit out of us. Yes this mother probably needs parent lessons but people shouldn't get over abusive on them.

WELL....I DON'T FEEL FOR THEM REALLY...HOPE THEY GET A HUGE FINE TO SAY THE LEAST

People only care about the lives of certain animals. I find that sad. All this faux outrage is ridiculous.

Agreed. I want to know what any of these people do on a daily basis to help animals in general. It's so easy these days to jump on any "outrage" bandwagon because all it takes is the click of a mouse, not any actual work. It's so irritating. The petition is irritating. I feel bad for the gorilla, sure. I'm glad the kid wasn't harmed. Who knows how negligent the mom was. No matter how good of a parent you are, you can't watch your kids every second of every day. This happens to be an extreme case of a kid doing something stupid, and a poor animal lost its life as a result. I don't know this for sure by any means, but it probably didn't enjoy its life too much anyway, being a spectacle day in and day out, for gawking idiots. Anyway, back to my original point, I hope the same people who are so enraged about this gorilla dying aren't going to circuses or taking horse-drawn carriage rides on city streets or buying puppies from puppy mills (etc, etc, etc). If you care that much, be a part of something bigger to make a difference for all animals.

Guest Mauro

When I said that keyboard warriors were out to make this kid's life a living hell, I was referring to the comments people were making to the kid's mother and the zoo. Through the kid's mother alone, they were going to get to the child. Saying that that the mother deserved to be executed, and I'm sure doxxing wasn't far behind, they were ultimately going to harm him. Sure, the mother should have been looking after her child. I was merely commenting on the negative affect this was going to have on the child down the line. We live in the age of social media, and we know the damage it does. Look at Madonna. Granted, the mother is now not doing herself, nor her kid any favors by lashing out. I've actually seen people using this event to bring racism into it - how the public cares more about a gorilla being killed, but not about African Americans getting shot by police officers in the US everyday. Social media is just insane, and that was what I was getting at. This kid is going to have to deal with that AND the gorilla incident. It's an amazing age we live in.

Of course many things are mixed up. And bringing racism into the discussion is once again a sign what a non-sensical thing social media is. Anyway, I think what people are angry about is that the mother is not acknowledging any responsibilty. Okay, this happening in the U.S. I understand since she most likely will be sued if she admits to her negligence she will be hold accountable. BUT then she should keep her mouth shut about the incident at all. Not leaving messages on Facebook claiming God saved her child and downplaying the whole thing (again, she caused the incident by her negligence) with "accidents happen". This is almost like causing a car accident and then blaming the harmed party. This very much reminds me of this asshole in Texas? that killed a few people by drunk driving and was only sentenced to probation because of the argument that he was a rich spoilt bitch who was not aware that his actions could have consequences because his horrible parents never taught him about it and never showed him any limits. Well, he is now in prison because he has still not learned his lesson and he broke the rules that were imposed on him related to his probation.

We are all becoming very sanctimonial and judging everything withouth information. Me first.

I was the first to blame the parents, but then i realized that kids can suddenly scape and things can happen! I don't know if those parents use to be negligent all the time, but this can be a one time situation.

Just this year my brother and sister-in-law had the fright of their lives when my little nephew stepped out of the train while they were taking the suitcases. He run the long platform! And they are good parents.

Guest Rachelle of London

Why are people checking what the mother puts on facebook in the first place? This has become a witch hunt. Primarily by people that are going to tuck into a chicken dinner followed by dairy ice cream but low and behold they're so OUTRAGED at a death of an animal. Puhleeze

Some animal defenders are incredibly cruel.

When ebola was a problem, a couple of summers ago, there was this case in Spain, from a religious man who was a doctor there in Africa and was taken to Spain to be treated. Then the nurse got infected too, because she didn't seem to understand the health protocols (even though they were published since the outbreak in Africa, MONTHS before). Well, it was decided that her dog should be killed just in case he could pass the illness.

It seems a simple case, but it caused lots of uproar in social nets and animal defenders were so outraged. And i remember one of them saying that that religious man should have been left to die in Africa, so the poor dog would be alive. I lost part of my little faith in human beings there.

not all people go on fb to check what that asshole said

it's all over the news....

....having said that, of course making a witch hunt is wrong (but i think it's more the reaction of the moment, even if most of those comments are caused by parents behavour in the aftermath), but all this justify the poor mother is not better....

Animal cruelty against any animals is disgusting and makes me sick and upset every time I read about it or see pictures. There is a reason that some people are outraged at the gorilla's death though and that is because they are endangered animals. I do feel the way that the mother and child is being criticised so ruthlessly is wrong as they never wanted that outcome and was not a deliberate act. The dentist that killed Cecil the Lion and illegal poachers etc don't get any sympathy from me as they set out to kill animals for sport.

This one's worse :(

Chile: Lions shot after man jumps into enclosure, strips

May 23, 2016

(CNN)A zoo killed two lions to save a man who jumped into the big cats' enclosure in the Chilean capital.

The man climbed over the fence Saturday and removed his clothes before approaching the lions, according to a statement posted on the Santiago Metropolitan Zoo Facebook page.

He was apparently attempting suicide, and a note was found in his clothes, Chilean media reported.

Zoo staff shot and killed two of the lions with live rounds to protect the man, the zoo's statement said.

"Due to the circumstances and to firstly protect the life of this person, we found ourselves obliged to apply all of our security protocols," the zoo's statement reads.

The two lions, a male and a female, were shot in front of a large crowd of zoo visitors. The male lion was born at the zoo, while the lioness was rescued from a circus, local media reported.

The zoo said it took the "incomprehensible action" of killing two of its three lions, which was "profoundly painful for every single one of us."

The man has been described by police as "frustrated" and an investigation has been opened.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/05/22/americas/chile-zoo-lions-naked-suicide-trnd/

Parents Under Investigation After Gorilla Shooting

Cincinnati police are zeroing in on the parents of the 3-year-old boy who fell into Harambe the gorilla's enclosure ... a strong sign they could still be charged with a crime.

Cincy PD says they are reviewing "the actions of the parents/family that led up to the incident." Cops make it clear they're NOT focusing on the Cincinnati Zoo -- since that falls under the United States Department of Agriculture's jurisdiction.

Critics have called for the parents -- Michelle Gregg and Deonne Dickerson -- to face negligence charges ... blaming them for setting in motion the chain of events that led to Harambe's death.

http://www.tmz.com/2016/05/31/cincinnati-zoo-cops-investigating-parents-gorilla/

https://www.yahoo.com/news/jane-goodall-slain-zoo-gorilla-223216216.html

Jane Goodall: Slain Zoo Gorilla Was Putting an Arm Round the Child

Melissa Chan

May 31, 2016

2jcbu2x.jpg

Jane Goodall, one of the world's most renowned primatologists, wrote an email on Tuesday to the director of the Cincinnati Zoo, saying she thought the slain gorilla may have been protecting the boy who fell into the animal's exhibit.

The scientist and animal rights activist extended her sympathies to the zoo's director, Thane Maynard, amid national backlash over the shooting death of a 17-year-old western lowland gorilla named Harambe.

"I tried to see exactly what was happening -- it looked as though the gorilla was putting an arm round the child -- like the female who rescued and returned the child from the Chicago exhibit," she wrote, according to the correspondence the Jane Goodall Institute made public. Goodall may have been referring to the 1996 incident at the Brookfield Zoo in Illinois in which a female gorilla carried a boy to safety after he fell into her pit.

"Anyway, whatever, it is a devastating loss to the zoo, and to the gorillas," Goodall wrote.

Harambe was shot dead after officials said he dragged around a 4-year-old boy who fell into it's enclosure on Saturday. Authorities are considering possible criminal charges, a prosecutor said Tuesday.

Goodall also asked how the two other female gorillas living with Harambe reacted to the death. "Are they allowed to see, and express grief, which seems to be so important?" she wrote.

"I feel so sorry for you, having to try to defend something which you may well disapprove of," she added.

Goodall declined to comment further, a spokesman for the Jane Goodall Institute told TIME on Tuesday.