Killing of gorilla to save boy at Ohio zoo sparks outrage

Guest Mauro

it's not the little boy's fault. its the parents. and they should have shot something in the animal to put him to sleep instead of killing him.

Tranquilizers take awhile to take effect.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ohio-gorilla-idUSKCN0YK0OT

The killing of a gorilla at the Cincinnati Zoo after a 4-year-old boy tumbled into the ape's enclosure triggered outrage and questions about safety, but zoo officials called the decision to use lethal force a tough but necessary choice.

RIP this Gorilla

What is that kid doing in a dangerous cave ? Where were the parents ? And why do they have to KILL that gorilla instead of tranquillise it or shoot its leg or arm ?

I am sorry but I dont understand this whole story. The parents need to be denonced fot not caring their kid !

Witnesses told local television that the boy repeatedly expressed a desire to join the gorilla in the zoo habitat. Moments later, the boy crawled through a barrier and fell about 12 feet (3.7-meters) into a moat surrounding the habitat, where Harambe grabbed him, zoo officials said.

WHERE THE FUCK are his parents? :manson:

New video footage of Harambe shows the 400-pound gorilla HOLDING HANDS with the boy who fell into the zoo enclosure as witnesses say the animal was 'acting protectively'

article-3616453-34C5B80800000578-500_964

The zoo's Gorilla World will be closed until further notice.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3616453/New-video-footage-Harambe-shows-400-pound-gorilla-HOLDING-HANDS-four-year-old-boy-fell-zoo-enclosure-witnesses-say-animal-acting-protectively.html

To be fair, zoos should be CLOSED FOREVER in the first place. Those posh people and annoying children all looking at sad and caged animals. FLUSH them all.

Yes!!!

RIP Harambe

Guest Rachelle of London

To be fair, zoos should be CLOSED FOREVER in the first place. Those posh people and annoying children all looking at sad and caged animals. FLUSH them all.

I agree. I've been to one zoo my entire life and I was 7. Animals shouldn't be enclosed. It's cruel in itself.

It's absolutely the parents fault. There is just no other way to think about the situation. And before everyone is talking badly about zoos in general I would like to remind you that many animals in free nature are an endangered species and that many if not all zoos have breeding programmes to make sure that these species are still around in the years to come. If it wasn't for those programmes many species would be extinct at this point. It's not all entertainment for the human race. Is there room to improve the living situation of animals in zoos? Absolutely.

Guest Mauro

If people want to get outraged, why don't they ask why such a creature was in a zoo in the first place and not in its natural habitat? You have no idea what an animal is going to do to a child (or what the child will do to the animal, perhaps frighten it) and have to act in a split second. It's sad that the animal had to be put down, but a child's life was in danger. Humans do come first, especially children. Animals act on impulse, not reason. This particular animal was apparently endangered and shouldn't have been placed in a zoo to begin with.

This poor kid is going to need so much therapy, not just from the gorilla experience, but from all the keyboard warriors out there who are determined to make his life a living hell.

Is Lady Gaga going to perform at the gorilla tribute concert?

Ever since I was a little girl, I wanted to be a gorilla....I want to dedicate my Grammy for "Born This Way" to this beautiful gorilla.

If people want to get outraged, why don't they ask why such a creature was in a zoo in the first place and not in its natural habitat? You have no idea what an animal is going to do to a child (or what the child will do to the animal, perhaps frighten it) and have to act in a split second. It's sad that the animal had to be put down, but a child's life was in danger. Humans do come first, especially children. Animals act on impulse, not reason. This particular animal was apparently endangered and shouldn't have been placed in a zoo to begin with.

This poor kid is going to need so much therapy, not just from the gorilla experience, but from all the keyboard warriors out there who are determined to make his life a living hell.

Sadly, they are needed now to protect endangered animals such as gorillas and rhinos as they are poached so much in their natural habitat. Zoos are trying to create a more natural habitat and their environments are now much more open and the animal's conditions are far superior from the dreadful days of sticking them in cages with no other interaction with other animals or room to move. That was cruel and barbaric and never should have happened.

Today, the majority of zoos do everything they can to make life for the animals easier and natural. They have breeding programmes to try and save endangered animals from extinction and there are also many reserves that do this as well. Poaching and hunting animals is a disgusting practice but big business for those who succeed. All efforts to stop this have always been thwarted by human greed and dodgy deals with illegal hunters and poachers. That is sadly why zoos and animal reserves are needed which is something that never should be.

I'm sorry but this whole bashing the parents is uncalled for. Kids slip away from their parents ALL THE TIME no matter where you are. Kids will be kids and do stupid things without realising the consequences.

Kids get killed in war tone countries, get drowned for wanting a better life, yet people go ape shit over a gorilla.

The parents and child should not be named by the press and it is awful that already their names and pictures are out there. I see that ghastly Daily Fail are already raking through the father's past. They did not deliberately set out for this to happen and should be left to deal with this away from the public eye. People can discuss the incident to try and prevent this happening again but the naming and shaming is uncalled for. They are not hunters or poachers and should not be treated the same way.

Is Lady Gaga going to perform at the gorilla tribute concert?

Ever since I was a little girl, I wanted to be a gorilla....I want to dedicate my Grammy for "Born This Way" to this beautiful gorilla.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I have sympathy for the gorilla and the kid but in the end, the zoo should enforce better handling of these kind of situations that will preserve both lives. Hope they learn their lesson from this.

The parents and child should not be named by the press and it is awful that already their names and pictures are out there. I see that ghastly Daily Fail are already raking through the father's past. They did not deliberately set out for this to happen and should be left to deal with this away from the public eye. People can discuss the incident to try and prevent this happening again but the naming and shaming is uncalled for. They are not hunters or poachers and should not be treated the same way.

I have sympathy for the gorilla and the kid but in the end, the zoo should enforce better handling of these kind of situations that will preserve both lives. Hope they learn their lesson from this.

Yes and yes. This has happened with a British kid some 20 odd years ago, zoo dealt with it calmly and did not kill the gorilla.

I think the reason why people are going after the parents is that they somehow deny any wrongdoing on their side. Instead posting (and deleting) facebook messages claiming God saved the child. And because a child is a child and children do stupid things they put the blame and everyone else. Did they even acknowledge that an innocent animal had to be killed because of their negligence? I bet their first visit was to a lawyer who instructed them what to say and what not to say and then to figure out how to sue the zoo for emotional distress (well, they can't for physical harm since nothing except for some minor bruises happened). The next step will be showing up on all kinds of talk shows and cashing in on it. I hate this society and this generation. They all lack of responsibility. Yet they are entitled beyond belief. And spare me this talk that the fence was not high or low enough and therefore it's been the zoos fault. Other visitors are on record that this child was begging the parents to get into the enclosure. So they should have been warned. From my perspective the parents deserve all the shit they are getting.

I'm sorry but this whole bashing the parents is uncalled for. Kids slip away from their parents ALL THE TIME no matter where you are. Kids will be kids and do stupid things without realising the consequences.

Kids get killed in war tone countries, get drowned for wanting a better life, yet people go ape shit over a gorilla.

uhm...actually no...if you are at your home you can be negligent with your children, but if you bring them anywhere you must control them and educate them (before going out with them) to what they can or can't do....and slipping when you're at a market or whatever ok...but climbing on a barrier of a zoo and you're watching what?? butterflies?

and the worst was the mother's FB comment "accidents happen all the time, why this drama?"

i mean...really?

i confirm what said about on that lounge thread about lovely kids and their parents...

Who in the world is making his life a living hell? :lmao:Absolutely nobody will be talking about this in 2 weeks.

I'm starting to think mauro really is im(never)satisfied

IKR, :lol:

uhm...actually no...if you are at your home you can be negligent with your children, but if you bring them anywhere you must control them and educate them (before going out with them) to what they can or can't do....and slipping when you're at a market or whatever ok...but climbing on a barrier of a zoo and you're watching what?? butterflies?

and the worst was the mother's FB comment "accidents happen all the time, why this drama?"

i mean...really?

i confirm what said about on that lounge thread about lovely kids and their parents...

I don't know the full story but I got kids and all I'm saying that young kids do slip away, it happens to every parent and it's the most scariest shit when you lose them. We all done things stupid as kid that our mothers probably smack the shit out of us. Yes this mother probably needs parent lessons but people shouldn't get over abusive on them.