MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LHakaLH

Question regarding Papa Don't Preach on ReInvention Tour

I've always thought the same, because she wasn't too young anymore. I agree about the horrible outfit and weird choreo. MDNA version is much better even if it's shorter.

Guest bluejean

Well, they're not age-appropriate, I guess

But my friends keep telling me to give it up

Saying I'm too young, I ought to live it up

As the rest of the song could sound like a woman seeking her father's advice, these lines are bit odd if sung by a 46 year old woman.

That was always the assumption but then in that case the entire song is not age appropriate. What woman in her mid 40's confesses to her father she's pregnant asking for his help and guidance?

But let's be honest it's blatantly obvious this song was slapped on as a crowd pleaser much like that entire last section.

I have a feeling she would feel like an idiot.

I think she doesn't sing a song unless it makes sense.

Papa Don't Preach is not something she would sing at every ages i guess. Unlike most hits that one is very specific...

it is very very stupid to censor your old hits because of your age..so silly.

or are Americans that literal? if you sing a love song you have to be in love?

As others said, those lines did not make much sense when sang by a 46y. And besides that, without them the song won a re-invention and a different meaning that worked better in the show context.

And that intro sample from Cosmos - Take Me With You is everything!

I don't think it's about the meaning behind the words. I think it's how it would effect the flow of the choreography/energy...She pulled a more uptempo energy out of what is a more laid back song. If you sing that part it makes you want to stand still and then take deep breaths and dramatically throw your head back.

That was always the assumption but then in that case the entire song is not age appropriate. What woman in her mid 40's confesses to her father she's pregnant asking for his help and guidance?

But let's be honest it's blatantly obvious this song was slapped on as a crowd pleaser much like that entire last section.

:lol: It's nothing to do with her age. People often seem to take Madonna's songs super literal. Funny.

It's pre-recorded, but comes across as live because it's a really good vocal delivery.

The leaked Lisbon footage makes the miming pretty obvious.

Yeah, unfortunately it was a re-recorded version and this made cheating more subtle. She's been doing it since 2004. No surprise she's not the greater live singer in the world , as she says (she cannot sing two hours live :-( )

Does this mean Madonna is a virgin every time she sings like a virgin?

Guest bluejean

No. The song is about a guy doing her so good it makes her feel like it's her first time.

Yeah, unfortunately it was a re-recorded version and this made cheating more subtle. She's been doing it since 2004. No surprise she's not the greater live singer in the world , as she says (she cannot sing two hours live :-( )

Wrong. Saw her sing live at Tears of a Clown and Rebel Heart tour just this year and she sang and performed brilliantly.

Guest bluejean

You tell em jazzy!

Not a real fan obviously.

Wrong. Saw her sing live at Tears of a Clown and Rebel Heart tour just this year and she sang and performed brilliantly.

This!!! I can't understand anyone who claims the opposite!

I smell a troll...

2wbtksl.gif

The version at RIT was lipsynced right?

very lipsynced but done very well and believable this time actually

tumblr_inline_mojgehhYDL1qdlkgg.gif

As others said, those lines did not make much sense when sang by a 46y. And besides that, without them the song won a re-invention and a different meaning that worked better in the show context.

And that intro sample from Cosmos - Take Me With You is everything!

did not know this...love the song now though...

Well, they're not age-appropriate, I guess

But my friends keep telling me to give it up
Saying I'm too young, I ought to live it up
As the rest of the song could sound like a woman seeking her father's advice, these lines are bit odd if sung by a 46 year old woman.

And they're not odd sung by a singer pushing 30, which Madonna was when the single was released? I don't think anyone listening to the song then thought she was singing about her own then current troubles with teen pregnancy. It's probably more a question of parts of the song fitting with the rest of the show.

I think she did an edit just to get through the song quicker. That's all really. Nothing more.

do you guys watch the Lisbon show alot? Are you not bothered with bad audio?

Guest bluejean

Um we are lucky to have THAT. So no. It's decent enough.

do you guys watch the Lisbon show alot?

Everyday. Twice a day. Seven days a week. :smug:

I love the outro when it fades into AL. :inlove:

(I could do without the calculated carefree circle dancing, though - but on the other hand it's very her in 2004)

On 1/6/2016 at 8:03 PM, Guest * said:

But let's be honest it's blatantly obvious this song was slapped on as a crowd pleaser much like that entire tour.

Fixed it.

On 5/30/2016 at 8:52 PM, Illuminati said:

It was lip-synched though.

Yes it is, but it is really well done and her live backing vocalist make it sound even more live, in lisbon you can see when she is a little late when moving the microphone to her mouth but the vocals start loudly anyway, it is obviously mimed if you pay close attention. The lyric thing is because she would have felt stupid singing Im too young.