2016 American Presidential Election

XXL

He is. It almost doesn't matter how wrong, hypocritical or toxic he is. His numbers keep improving. People are so fed up with the system that they'll rather vote for an egotistical, reality TV host lunatic over someone who's basically done everything in her power to get this job. She's done her homework EXTENSIVELY. She's a very, very, very experienced and intellectual woman. And right now the only thing she's relying on is that she has WAY, WAY, WAY more experience than Trump, and I guess she "sounds presidential," unlike Trump, who sounds like my racist businessman dad who called me stupid for talking about the ozone layer. He said "what the hell is that? Probably something a jew made up just to make more money."

Guest Mauro

Thankfully, Hillary is beating Trump by double digits nationally now. His own party is coming out slamming him every time he opens his mouth over this judge in his fraud case.

Guest Rachelle of London

I bet he has a lot more support from people who are too cowardly to come forward and openly support him. Probably why he's doing so well.

People are stupid. Like I said, they're perfectly fine voting for this egotistical lunatic just because he's funny, witty and is more likeable.

That's U.S. politics in a nutshell. It's just a popularity concert.

People are stupid. Like I said, they're perfectly fine voting for this egotistical lunatic just because he's funny, witty and is more likeable.

That's U.S. politics in a nutshell. It's just a popularity concert.

Oh, and add to that list that he panders to all their unfounded fears that have been perpetuated by Fox News (scary muslims, scary Russia, scary Iran, scary 5 foot tall Mexican and Central American indigenous people who cross the border illegally to wash their dishes, pick their lettuce and strawberries :rolleyes: )

Guest Mauro
Now he's on to Muslims.

Could a Muslim Judge Be Neutral to Donald Trump? He Doesn’t Think So

donald-trump-grow-up.jpg?itok=n1PW3Myr

Donald J. Trump, who said last week that a judge’s Mexican heritage should disqualify him from a lawsuit against Mr. Trump, expressed doubt on Sunday that a Muslim judge could remain neutral in the case, comments that are unlikely to ease concerns among his fellow Republicans who fear his controversial remarks could hurt the party in November.

Mr. Trump’s comments, made in an interview with John Dickerson, the host of CBS’s “Face the Nation,” followed his criticism of Judge Gonzalo P. Curiel, a federal judge in California overseeing a suit against the defunct Trump University. Mr. Trump said Judge Curiel had a “conflict of interest” in the case because of Mr. Trump’s proposed border wall with Mexico.

Republicans, concerned about how his contentious statements could harm their ability to retain control of the Senate and have a detrimental effect in down-ballot races, have struggled with how to distance themselves from Mr. Trump’s language without alienating his die-hard voters.

In a series of interviews on Sunday television news shows, Republicans repudiated Mr. Trump’s comments about Judge Curiel. But instead of softening his stance, Mr. Trump intensified it.

Mr. Dickerson asked Mr. Trump, the presumptive Republican nominee, if a Muslim judge would be similarly biased because of Mr. Trump’s call for a ban on Muslim immigrants. “It’s possible, yes,” Mr. Trump said. “Yeah. That would be possible. Absolutely.”

When Mr. Dickerson said there was a tradition in the United States, a nation of immigrants, against judging people based on heritage, Mr. Trump replied, “I’m not talking about tradition, I’m talking about common sense, O.K.?”

In his interview with Mr. Dickerson, and in a separate discussion with Jake Tapper on CNN’s “State of the Union,” Mr. Trump refused to retreat from his comments on Judge Curiel’s background.

“He is a member of a club or society, very strongly pro-Mexican, which is all fine,” Mr. Trump said. “But I say he’s got bias. I want to build a wall. I’m going to build a wall. I’m doing very well with the Latinos, with the Hispanics, with the Mexicans, I’m doing very well with them, in my opinion.”

Judge Curiel, 62, was born in East Chicago, Ind., to parents who had emigrated from Mexico. He graduated from Indiana University’s law school and worked as an assistant United States attorney in the Southern District of California before being appointed in 2007 to the bench in San Diego by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, a Republican. President Obama nominated Judge Curiel to the federal bench in late 2011, and he was confirmed by the Senate in 2012.

Mr. Trump’s broadside against Judge Curiel was one of the most overtly racial remarks he had made in the presidential race, and it exacerbated the tension between some Republicans and their nominee. White, older, working-class voters make up a large portion of the party’s base, and Republicans need to keep the presidential campaign close in order to hold their majority in the Senate. But Mr. Trump’s remarks have offended wide blocs of voters to whom the party must appeal amid national demographic shifts.

And the critiques have raised concerns about how, as president, Mr. Trump would handle the separation of powers between the executive and judicial branches of government. That issue is sacred to conservatives, who have railed against what they see as an abuse of power by Mr. Obama.

Republicans have tried to mitigate the potential damage of Mr. Trump’s language by rejecting it in one moment, but embracing his candidacy in the next.

On NBC’s “Meet the Press,” Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the majority leader, did not directly answer a question about whether Mr. Trump’s remark had been racist, but said he completely disagreed with it. “All of us came here from somewhere else,” Mr. McConnell said, referring to Judge Curiel’s heritage. “That’s an important part of what makes America work.”

Senator Bob Corker of Tennessee, a Republican whose name had been floated as a potential vice-presidential nominee, said on ABC’s “This Week” of Mr. Trump’s behavior, “I think that he’s going to have to change.” And Newt Gingrich, the former House speaker, who has been among Mr. Trump’s most vocal supporters, called the Curiel remarks “inexcusable” on “Fox News Sunday.”

“This is one of the worst mistakes Trump has made,” said Mr. Gingrich, who has also been mentioned as a potential vice-presidential candidate.

But none of the three men rejected Mr. Trump’s candidacy outright. Mr. Gingrich praised Mr. Trump moments later as a quick learner. Mr. Corker suggested that Mr. Trump “has an opportunity to really change the trajectory of our country, and it’s my sense that he will take advantage of that.”

Those defenses are becoming more strained as Mr. Trump has reversed his suggestions that he knows he must grow into the role of nominee. And Republicans were mostly silent after Hillary Clinton assailed Mr. Trump in a speech on Thursday about the stakes of the election. Mr. Trump led his defense on Twitter and at a rally, but his campaign and its surrogates had no uniform response.

In the weeks since he vanquished his remaining two primary opponents, Mr. Trump has repeatedly turned his campaign’s focus inward — toward his businesses, the Trump University lawsuit, his fights with other Republicans — and obscured the hopes Republicans had of keeping a spotlight on Mrs. Clinton and her email controversy, or on a jobs report suggesting a slowdown in job creation.

Mr. McConnell, who endorsed Mr. Trump quickly after Mr. Trump became the presumptive nominee early last month, has been vocal in his concern that the remarks on Hispanics will have a historic effect along the lines of the remarks Barry Goldwater made on the party’s ability to woo black voters after he declined to support the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Mr. McConnell said the alternative to Mr. Trump — a second Clinton presidency — was worse. But he also urged Mr. Trump to stop focusing on the recent past and to look toward the future.

“This is a good time, it seems to me, to begin to try to unify the party,” Mr. McConnell said.

“And you unify the party by not settling scores and grudges against people you’ve been competing with,” he added. “We’re all behind him now. And I’d like to see him reach out and pull us all together and give us a real shot at winning this November.”

Guest Mauro
Newt Gingrich: Attacking judge’s Mexican heritage ‘one of the worst mistakes Donald Trump has made’

newt1_c0-0-1198-698_s885x516.jpg?6be01d4

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich said Sunday that presumptive GOP presidential nominee Donald Trump is making a grave error by suggesting a federal judge’s Mexican heritage prevents him from doing his job fairly.

Speaking on “Fox News Sunday,” Mr. Gingrich, who ran for president in 2012 and is rumored to be on Mr. Trump’s vice-presidential short list, said the billionaire businessman’s recent comments aren’t fitting of a serious White House contender.

“This is one of the worst mistakes Trump has made,” he said. “I think it’s inexcusable. … Trump has got to move to a new level. This is no longer the primaries. He is no longer an interesting contender. He is now the potential leader of the United States, and he’s got to move his game up to the level of being a potential leader.”

Mr. Trump has said the Mexican heritage of U.S. District Judge Gonzalo Curiel creates an inherent bias, mainly because Mr. Trump wants to build a wall between the U.S. and Mexico.

Judge Curiel is presiding over a lawsuit brought against Trump University.

Mr. Trump stood by his criticism during an interview on CNN’s “State of the Union” and said it isn’t racism.

“He’s proud of his heritage. I respect him for that,” Mr. Trump said. “He’s a Mexican. We’re building a wall between here and Mexico.”

President Obama To Endorse Hillary Clinton
HillaryObama-660x330.jpg
From the New York Times:
President Obama, after months of sitting on the sidelines of the rancorous contest to succeed him, is now ready to aggressively campaign for Hillary Clinton, starting with a formal endorsement of her candidacy as early as this week. The White House is in active conversations with Mrs. Clinton’s campaign about how and where the president would be useful to her, according to senior aides to Mr. Obama.
Advisers say that the president, who sees a Democratic successor as critical to his legacy, is impatient to begin campaigning. They say he is taking nothing for granted. It has been decades since a second-term president enjoyed the popularity to make him a potent force on the campaign trail and also an invitation from the candidate running to succeed him to be a major presence there.

I'm so excited to see this, it's going to be amazing! :wow:

Guest Mauro
GOP to Trump: Stop alienating Latinos

160603164634-donald-trump-defends-mexica

Washington (CNN)Top Republican officials and donors are increasingly worried about the threat Donald Trump's attack on a judge's Mexican heritage could pose to their party's chances in November -- and about the GOP's ability to win Latino votes for many elections to come.

Trump is under fire for repeatedly accusing U.S. District Judge Gonzalo Curiel, who is overseeing a lawsuit involving Trump University, of bias because of his Mexican heritage. Those concerns intensified Sunday after Trump said he would have the same concerns about the impartiality of a Muslim judge.

House and Senate GOP leaders have condemned Trump's remarks about Curiel, while donors have openly worried that losing Latino voters could doom them in key down-ballot races. Other important party figures, including former Speaker Newt Gingrich, are urging Trump to change his combative, confrontational style before it's too late.

Veteran Republican strategist Rick Wilson warned this weekend that GOP leaders who have endorsed Trump "own his politics."

"You own his politics," Wilson wrote in a column for Heatstreet, adding later, "You own the racial animus that started out as a bug, became a feature and is now the defining characteristic of his campaign. You own every crazy, vile chunk of word vomit that spews from his mouth."

The GOP's deepest fear: A Barry Goldwater effect that could last far longer than Trump's political aspirations.

Goldwater, the Arizona senator who was the 1964 GOP nominee and a leader of the conservative movement, alienated a generation of African-American voters by opposing the Civil Rights Act -- opening the door for Democrats to lock in their support for decades. Republicans fret that Trump could similarly leave a stain with Latino voters.

'Concerned'

"I am concerned about that," Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Kentucky, said Sunday.

"America is changing. When Ronald Reagan was elected, 84% of the electorate was white," McConnell said on NBC's "Meet the Press." "This November, 70% will be. It's a big mistake for our party to write off Latino Americans. And they're an important part of the country and soon to be the largest minority group in the country."

"I hope he'll change his direction on that," said McConnell, who first made the Goldwater comparison last week in an interview with CNN's Jake Tapper.

That hasn't happened yet. In interviews Sunday, Trump wouldn't back away from his assertion that Curiel's parents' birth in Mexico has left the judge angry over Trump's proposal to build a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border and biased in the legal case over Trump University. Trump even went further, saying on CBS' "Face the Nation" that he'd have similar concerns over a Muslim judge, since he has proposed banning all Muslims from entering the United States.

Trump's remarks led to condemnations from the same leading Republicans that in recent weeks have embraced him -- and accepted that the party's fate in November is inextricably linked to his.

"I don't agree with what he had to say," McConnell said.

"This is a man who was born in Indiana," McConnell said of Curiel. "All of us came here from somewhere else. Almost all Americans are either near-term immigrants like my wife, who came here at age 8 not speaking a word of English, or the rest of us whose ancestors were risk-takers who came here and made this country great. That's an important part of what makes America work."

House Speaker Paul Ryan, just a day after announcing his endorsement of Trump, bashed him on a Wisconsin radio station.

"Look, the comment about the judge, just was out of left field for my mind," Ryan said Friday on WISN in Milwaukee. "It's reasoning I don't relate to, I completely disagree with the thinking behind that."

The criticism from McConnell and Ryan was predictable: Both preside over GOP majorities that are threatened thanks to competitive races in Latino-heavy states like Arizona, Nevada and Florida.

More surprising was the condemnation from Gingrich, who has transparently jockeyed for a spot on Trump's ticket.

"I don't know what Trump's reasoning was, and I don't care," Gingrich told The Washington Post. "His description of the judge in terms of his parentage is completely unacceptable."

Gingrich was even sharper on "Fox News Sunday," calling Trump's remarks "inexcusable."

Trump responded to Gingrich's critique on Monday, telling "Fox and Friends" that the former House Speaker's comments were "inappropriate."

'One of the worst mistakes'

"This is one of the worst mistakes Trump has made," Gingrich said.

Tennessee Sen. Bob Corker, the Foreign Relations Committee chairman who has provided key Republican support for Trump's foreign policy stances and is also often named as a prospective vice presidential candidate, rebuked Trump's comments about the judge on ABC's "This Week."

"I think that he's going to have to change," Corker said of Trump's overall behavior and campaign tactics.

Sen. Ben Sasse, a Nebraska Republican who has been outspoken about his opposition to Trump, tweeted Monday: "Public Service Announcement: Saying someone can't do a specific job because of his or her race is the literal definition of "racism."

Trump's campaign downplayed the impact of his assertion that the judge's Mexican heritage could preclude him from delivering fair rulings in the Trump University case.

A Trump official said the remarks are "no reason to celebrate, (but) no reason to panic" -- an indication there is concern inside the campaign but Trump's aides don't believe it's damaging long-term.

Another campaign adviser laughed when asked if Trump officials can talk to the candidate about watching what he says.

Alberto Gonzales, who led the Justice Department under President George W. Bush from 2005 to 2007, wrote in a Washington Post op-ed Saturday that Curiel's Mexican heritage shouldn't be enough to disqualify him from overseeing the case. But, Gonzales said, Trump is entitled to a fair trial, and the appearance of impropriety could be enough for him to reasonably request that Curiel recuse himself.

Trump thanked Gonzales for his support.

Inside the Republican Party, campaigns and donor circles, fear over the damage Trump's remarks could do to the party's relationship with Latino voters was palpable.

"Awful," a top Republican official said of Trump's attack on the judge. "We are all beside ourselves."

The official went on to say that "you have to feel for Paul Ryan," who had just announced his support for Trump.

Depth of concerns

In a series of interviews with donors, fundraisers and congressional officials, the depth of the concerns about what Trump's latest attacks underscore become clear.

"Honestly? My worst fear. Call me stupid -- I was one of the guys who figured he'd do the whole pivot thing," said one donor, referring to an often-used strategy of moving more to the middle after securing the nomination.

The donor, who had been active for several candidates during the primary, said he was "ready to get in line" once Trump signed the joint-fundraising agreement last month with the RNC. The bold names associated with the joint agreement -- people like businessman Woody Johnson -- were enough of a sign, the donor said.

Now? "Not so much."

But it may be bigger than that, according to several GOP officials. Republicans are defending 24 seats in the Senate while holding a slim four-seat majority. While the House majority is significantly more robust -- 58 seats -- there are members in that chamber who saw their seats move into riskier positions the day Trump locked up the nomination.

The solution -- one that top GOP officials on Capitol Hill have been repeating in the weeks since -- has been to make sure top donors dump cash into the down ballot races.

Up to this point, they've done just that. One fundraiser with ties to one of the two primary GOP congressional super PACs said donors have been "burning up the phone lines" trying to figure out how to help protect GOP majorities in Congress.

The primary Senate GOP super PAC, the Senate Leadership Fund, had more than $16.3 million on hand at the end of April, the last time numbers were reported with the FEC. The group raised more than $4 million in March and April alone -- a number that, according to the fundraiser, will increase "significantly" in the months ahead.

The top House super PAC, the Congressional Leadership Fund, nearly doubled its 2015 fundraising in the first quarter of 2016 alone.

"The concern is -- do we get to the point that all the money in the world doesn't matter?" asked another donor, who said his whole goal this cycle was to protect House and Senate candidates.

"We're obviously not there right now, but stupid s--- like this really makes you wonder."

Democrats are certainly trying to make each Trump comment sting. The party's House and Senate campaign committees are firing out a steady clip of press releases attempting to tie each vulnerable candidate to Trump. Democrats make clear those comments will be featured heavily in the fall in attack ads.

Perhaps more noticeably, over the weekend, talks between top GOP figures about the future of the party have become more urgent. Several Republican officials pointed to McConnell's comments to Jake Tapper on CNN last week, where he first voiced concern about Trump's effect on Latino voters mirroring that of Goldwater's effect on black voters.

Yet those same officials watched McConnell go to great lengths not to say that Trump's attacks on the judge in the Trump University case were racism.

"That was just painful," said one Republican official who served in George W. Bush's administration. The official added that the reality is McConnell -- and Ryan and every Republican in a leadership position or facing an election challenge -- "will be stuck dealing with the latest Trumpism every interview of every day, of every month until November."

The funny thing with Trump is that the democrats won't have to do a lot of opposition research, all they have to do is watch any of his meetings :lmao:

Women, mexicans, muslims, black people, disabled... What category of people has he not offended? :lmao:

Listen, the only thing I'm saying is this: are you guys not alarmed that Hillary is BARELY ahead of Trump, despite him being who he is (I don't think I have to use any specific adjectives, I think we all know what kind of a man he is)?

Guest Mauro

The funny thing with Trump is that the democrats won't have to do a lot of opposition research, all they have to do is watch any of his meetings :lmao:

Women, mexicans, muslims, black people, disabled... What category of people has he not offended? :lmao:

White heterosexual males, and as Obama has shown, you can't win an election with them alone.

Guest Mauro
RNC Latino Chair Resigns Over Trump

The New One Doesn’t Like Him Either.

The new official deleted old tweets in which she criticized Trump.

The official in charge of Hispanic media relations at the Republican National Committee resigned on Wednesday in an apparent show of concern over Donald Trump, The New York Times reported. Ruth Guerra, who is of Mexican descent, had reportedly told colleagues that she felt “uncomfortable” working for the presumptive GOP party leader, whose anti-immigrant comments have incensed many in the Hispanic community, the outlet reported.

The person tapped by the RNC to replace Guerra, political commentator Helen Aguirre Ferré, seems to have had similar grievances over Trump’s rhetoric and positions. Ferré worked previously as a journalist for Univision and, most recently, advised former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush’s ® presidential campaign.

Ferré frequently criticized Trump on Twitter, according to Media Matters for America. Her tweets have since been deleted, but the progressive media watchdog posted a number of screenshots via Google cache. Here’s the general thrust:

Ferré frequently tweeted criticisms of Trump, including as recently as last month. She suggested that Trump doesn’t represent the “values of the Republican Party,” tweeted that Hispanic Republicans are “caught in 2016 meat grinder” because of Trump, and wondered if Trump surrogates Gov. Chris Christie and Sen. Jeff Sessions “now regret supporting Trump or do the means justify the end?” She also tweeted a link to PolitiFact awarding Trump the 2015 Lie of the Year and wrote after Trump attacked Carly Fiorina’s appearance that the country and women “deserve better” than Trump. She has since deleted those tweets.

Like many members of the GOP who used to denounce Trump, Ferré has had a change of heart. One only wonders what she thinks of Trump’s infamous Cinco de Mayo tweet, in which the brash businessman is pictured eating a taco salad bowl with the caption “I love Hispanics.” (Her predecessor last month would not comment on the tweet as a form of outreach to Hispanics.)

Ferré will also most likely face questions over Trump’s personal and racially tinged attacks against U.S. District Judge Gonzalo Curiel. Curiel last week unsealed documents pertaining to an ongoing lawsuit over Trump University, which has been accused of being a scam. Trump has railed that the judge is “unfair” to him and has called him “Mexican.” Curiel was born in Indiana.

Listen, the only thing I'm saying is this: are you guys not alarmed that Hillary is BARELY ahead of Trump, despite him being who he is (I don't think I have to use any specific adjectives, I think we all know what kind of a man he is)?

Trump is the republican nominee, Hillary is not yet. I guess a lot of democrats don't support Hillary in those polls because Bernie is still in the race. That will change when she is officially the nominee and when Bernie supports her.

Trump is the republican nominee, Hillary is not yet. I guess a lot of democrats don't support Hillary in those polls because Bernie is still in the race. That will change when she is officially the nominee and when Bernie supports her.

Then why do the same exact polls have Bernie WAY ahead of Trump (even Fox News).

This is NOT me being Pro-Bernie, it's virtually imposible for him to secure the nomination at this point, I'm just trying to show that what you're saying doesn't really seem to be the case.

I do think things will improve after she has secured the nomination.

Then why do the same exact polls have Bernie WAY ahead of Trump (even Fox News).

This is NOT me being Pro-Bernie, it's virtually imposible for him to secure the nomination at this point, I'm just trying to show that what you're saying doesn't really seem to be the case.

Yes I understand what you're saying. But Hillary is not campaigning against Bernie, she's campaigning against Trump (while Bernie is campaigning against Hillary). Her supporters are probably more okay with the idea of voting for Bernie against Trump than the supporters of Bernie are okay to vote for Hillary against Trump. That's my little theory.

Guest Mauro

I do think things will improve after she has secured the nomination.

Because Bernie doesn't get attacked on a regular basis. He wouldn't stand two seconds as the frontrunner. All Republicans would have to do is show Bernie's face with the word Socialist printed over it and Trump would win by a landslide, not to mention use Bernie's own words to attack him. Americans have been taught that Socialism = Death for almost a century now.

In U.S., Socialist Presidential Candidates Least Appealing
  • More than nine in 10 would vote for a Catholic, black, or woman
  • Ninety-one percent would vote for a Jewish or Hispanic candidate
  • Americans show most bias toward socialists (47%), atheists (58%)

http://www.gallup.com/poll/183713/socialist-presidential-candidates-least-appealing.aspx

I don't agree, but whatever. Let's just leave it at that.

We'll see what happens after the DNC and Trump and Hillary start debating. Americans (the ones who do decide to vote) will either vote for someone who many don't really trust but who's experienced, well-spoken, intelligent or a man who panders to ignorant white people who feel disenfranchized because they make up only 62% of the population now.

P.S. I don't agree with Bernie polling better because he doesn't get attacked on a regular basis. If that were the case Trump would've never gotten the nomination.

Guest Rachelle of London

Considering the stuff he says the opponent/opponents should be miles ahead in the polls. It's quite scary how much support he has.

And I'm still laughing at him faking black supporters. It's up there with Ben Carsons wife's singing for me

Guest Mauro

BREAKING: HILLARY CLINCHES THE DEMOCRATIC NOMINATION

sub-buzz-6580-1465259490-2.jpg?resize=62

Hillary Clinton Will Be The First Woman As A Major Political Party’s Presidential Nominee
Enough superdelegaes have committed to her ahead of Tuesday’s primaries.
Hillary Clinton has secured enough delegates to be the presumptive Democratic nominee for president, the Associated Press reported Monday. Clinton will be the first woman to be a major political party’s nominee.
The news agency said she secured enough commitments from superdelegates — party insiders who can support who they like for president at any time — to put her over the 2,383 delegates needed to clinch.
Delegates are the people who actually go to the convention and nominate the nominee.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates and follow BuzzFeed News on Twitter.