2016 American Presidential Election

XXL

Who actually cares who Madonna supports? I'm sorry but I think celeb endorsements should be banned. I really hope people don't vote for who Madonna/"insert fave celeb" votes for because of that.

Precisely

Why aren't we more excited about Clinton?

_89899216_89899213.jpg

Cattura_zpszhbtmulw.jpg

It has taken a long 227 years to get even this far.

George Washington was elected president of a newly independent America in 1789. Forty-two men later (41 of them white), Hillary Clinton is set to make history by being the first female nominee of a major party for the White House.

So why don't I feel more excited?

Let's put politics aside for a moment. Whatever your political leanings, this is by any measure a momentous day for women. Mrs Clinton could become Madame President. We've never had a woman hold the most powerful job in the world before.

If you believe that we are all better off when more women take up senior positions, in politics as much as business or journalism or law or medicine or the military, then it's significant that we've never had a woman run America.

Whether you love her or hate her, whether she were Republican, Democrat, liberal or conservative, she is a she and that's a big deal in and of itself. It is of course not reason enough to vote for her in November. But it is reason enough to pause to reflect on this moment.

The lack of exuberance may come from the fact that this has all been going on for so long. We've really been reworking a version of the "first viable female candidate for the presidency" story since 20 January 2007, the first time Hillary Clinton declared her candidacy for the White House.

We're exhausted. We've run out of superlatives. We've overused every anecdote from the former first lady, former senator, former secretary's well-covered life. A woman president would be new, Hillary Clinton is not.

Which may be why so many voters aren't excited either. I've spent the last couple of weeks talking to women here and it's remarkable how younger women in particular often seem to greet the Clinton candidacy with a collective shrug.

_89899220_006411268-1.jpg

"She's old news", "she's just old", "she's stiff", "she's just a regular politician", "she's been around too long", "she doesn't connect with us."

This isn't the language used by all women by any means, and Hillary Clinton outperforms Donald Trump in opinion polls among women. But it is really striking to hear quite so many younger women express so little enthusiasm at the prospect of getting a woman behind that famous Oval Office desk.

After all, it was Queen Victoria who gave the desk to the US in 1880, isn't it time it was used by a woman leader too? The feminist's silver lining could be that women in their twenties today are fully confident that they will see a woman president in their life times in a way that women of my generation never have been.

They just aren't sure they want or need it to be Hillary. They can wait. Women over the age of 50 have an urgency about the issue that younger women just don't.

But, even among some women who will definitely vote for Hillary, even among some women who will definitely give money to her campaign, I'm hearing almost a sense of regret that they don't feel more thrilled right now.

Disconnect

There was excitement for the first female candidacy back in 2008. I've been surprised by how many women who voted for Mrs Clinton in their state's primary contest and will vote for her again in November have said to me, almost with a sigh: "I just wish I felt more excited."

bill_hillary_rect.jpg

And then there are women who just don't like her, or her policies or anything she stands for. She certainly evokes strong negative feelings among Republicans of both sexes.

For the moment, though, there is a disconnect between the level of belief that Hillary Clinton will be a solid, competent, reliable president - which is high among her supporters - and the level of lethargy about her candidacy - which is high.

That may well change now that she is the presumptive nominee and Mr Trump is her opponent. In a head-to-head match up, we may still see excitement grow for the Mrs Clinton. But the opposite is possible too.

One day soon, I hope, we won't be writing about the day a woman became the nominee for president.

We will be so used to there being female nominees, and even female presidents, Democrat and Republican, that it won't be news at all. Now that would be progress. One day before too long, I hope.

I supported Bernie from the start so I felt I needed to stay true and vote for him in the primary today.

That being said, yes its impossible for him to win on any level. Him wanting to go after the super delegates just looks like a fools errand and sadly makes him look silly also. I mean the voters have spoken and Hillary has so far gotten 3 million more votes, so lets be real Bernie. Wrap it up. Join forces with Hillary and Obama, and defeat this clown in November!!!!!!!!!!!!

6-7 months ago it really looked like he had a chance. It's a shame how everything turned out.

I don't like either of our 2 potential presedential nominees (kinda scary to say that).

But I guess good luck to the Hills it seems

Guest Pud Whacker

Who actually cares who Madonna supports? I'm sorry but I think celeb endorsements should be banned. I really hope people don't vote for who Madonna/"insert fave celeb" votes for because of that.

I agree. I don't need a celebrity spokesperson to lead me along.

IM

NOT

A

FUCKING

SHEEP!

I always roll my eyes when Madonna gets political. I posted those memes and pics and said "I hate people who get their news from memes but since everyone else is doing it"

I just think this is all hilarious. We just had a terrorist attack from a group that was born in US POW camps in Iraq that's backed by Saudi Arabia and gulf States, Hillarys allies. We have all these REAL issues and people are wettig their pussies because a woman is going to be president. Or even worse, these imbecile celebrities like Gaga post naked pictures of themselves and say IMWITHHer yessss mamamamamaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa give me a fucking break it's like no one knows what's going on.

None of this has anything to do with Bernie or even Trump, and I'm not blaming Hilary, but she's one of many politicians who've not only allowed this to happen, but who've helped create this mess in the first place. One way or another.

Trump is simply the personification of all this confusion, hate, ignorant, mob mentality. All he has to say is "see I told you. No Muslims!" And his numbers will improve. Yes I hate him but anyone who didn't see this monstrous figure that simply exposes the ugly part of the US to the world coming was living in the clouds.

Guest Mauro

I always roll my eyes when Madonna gets political. I posted those memes and pics and said "I hate people who get their news from memes but since everyone else is doing it"

I just think this is all hilarious. We just had a terrorist attack from a group that was born in US POW camps in Iraq that's backed by Saudi Arabia and gulf States, Hillarys allies. We have all these REAL issues and people are wettig their pussies because a woman is going to be president. Or even worse, these imbecile celebrities like Gaga post naked pictures of themselves and say IMWITHHer yessss mamamamamaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa give me a fucking break it's like no one knows what's going on.

None of this has anything to do with Bernie or even Trump, and I'm not blaming Hilary, but she's one of many politicians who've not only allowed this to happen, but who've helped create this mess in the first place. One way or another.

Trump is simply the personification of all this confusion, hate, ignorant, mob mentality. All he has to say is "see I told you. No Muslims!" And his numbers will improve. Yes I hate him but anyone who didn't see this monstrous figure that simply exposes the ugly part of the US to the world coming was living in the clouds.

Just when I thought you couldn't get anymore ridiculous.

ISIS is an indirect result of US policy in Iraq and the Middle East, PERIOD. All of which Hillary has had her part in. If you don't like it suck a fucking dick

so fucking true and i am from Egypt

This hilary cunt was crying blood when her puppet terrorist mohamed morsy the ex president was out.

Everytime i see this movie poster hilary comes to my mind

9E27BB22-711A-4365-8F86-FA5356C78A98.jpe

He was a full blown monster. Going to shows and preaching her tired bullshyt here.

I was supposed to go to one of her shows with another former member from this place, YEARS ago but she cancelled it. So no Pud. I have never been to one of her shows.

I'm not saying that people should vote for Hillary because Madonna supports her, but I'm saying that to the people who call "sheep" everyone who supports Hillary or mock Skin about Gaga. Everyone deserves respect for their opinions, and the last page of this thread has been disguting.

Thank you.

People are obviously free to change their damn minds.

ULIZOS openly admits to loving Hillary in 2008, but the more he learned and the more he saw the more he came to dislike her. Same for myself and Gaga for Christ sake. Hardly a big deal.

And yes, Madonna will no doubt support Hillary in the election. Does that mean every Madonna fan should automatically do the same? Of course not, but I guess that means Madonna is a sheep as well though.

Sorry, but thinking this was cool back in the day

gaga_lollapaloozax.jpg

should have you arrested and tried before a judge.

You know you rocked an outfit just like that back in the day. I still love you.

Guest Mauro

ISIS is an indirect result of US policy in Iraq and the Middle East, PERIOD. All of which Hillary has had her part in. If you don't like it suck a fucking dick

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/04/opinions/bergen-trump-obama-clinton-creation-of-isis/

Nice try.

Shall we get into Saint Bernie's foreign policy or gun record?

And Egypt needs to take responsibility for itself.

Guest Rachelle of London

I can't even.

"Egypt needs to take responsibility for itself" WOW. You read ignorance and then you read a level of ignorance that cannot be upped.

That's Americans' attitude in a nutshell. That's why the world hates us and the country is slowly imploding, just like every single "great" imperialist empire before it.

What is ridiculous here is that some of you believe that Bernie or any other US candidate would change US diplomacy and stop supporting Israel, Saudi Arabia and other US allies. Hillary is not the only responsible of this, and you are naive if you think it would change with someone else. Very naive.

You know, I was talking with a friend today. I was telling him how I think it's very healthy for people to discuss things, to disagree, to get passionate. To scream a little. That's what a democracy is all about. That's what the greek did. They sat around in public spaces and everyone would shout and scream and eventually elders would vote, everyone would have to make sacrifices and meet in the middle. The U.S.'s founding fathers did the same.

With you guys and Americans in general these days its basically your way or the highway. So fucking intolerant. Pud, Bambi, XXL and many others can't say anything without you group of blind Hillary supporters writing us off as idiots (especially me since I'm the most vocal).

Pud is right, you're fucking sheep.

Go to a vigil tonight, take a selfie and post it on your Facebook so you can show off to the world what a wonderful and selfless person you are. :rolleyes: