MadonnaNation.com Forums
Crux

Diana Ross thread

I must've watched these video's a million times since the 80's, but my God...what a woman!!!!!!!!!

FABULOUS!!!!!!!!

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times: she was robbed from the Oscar back in '72 and Mahogany should be selected for preservation :inlove:

Fantastic

Love Diana. She is a singer I adore - she understands the beauty of melody and always sings with feeling and does not shout all over the melody. Touch me in the morning is one of the most saddest and beautiful ballads I know. Also loved her cover of "Why do fools fall in love' There are so many songs of hers to enjoy. She will always be one of my favourite singers and is a legend.

Love those XXL. Are you a big fan?

My sister first got me into Diana around the time of Chain Reaction and I've loved her ever since.

Speaking of C.R, I'm shocked it only reaching #66 in America. It's regarded as one of her best songs over here.

Love Diana. She is a singer I adore - she understands the beauty of melody and always sings with feeling and does not shout all over the melody. Touch me in the morning is one of the most saddest and beautiful ballads I know. Also loved her cover of "Why do fools fall in love' There are so many songs of hers to enjoy. She will always be one of my favourite singers and is a legend.

:inlove: I knew you would appreciate her, Jan. Your taste in music is exceptional.

:inlove: I knew you would appreciate her, Jan. Your taste in music is exceptional.

Thanks Crux. We do have the same tastes in music, don't we.

Another classic Diana song

How beautiful is this as well. I adore singers who can nail ballads and pure pop perfection such as Diana. It is much harder to do that then people realize and only a few can do it perfectly.

THE BOSS! Love Diana.

My favorite is 1977's "Top Of The World".

Perfect tribute to Marvin Gaye :cries:

Perfect tribute to Marvin Gaye :cries:

Aw... :(

Their late seventies duet "I'll Keep My Light In My Window" was great.

Love those XXL. Are you a big fan?

My sister first got me into Diana around the time of Chain Reaction and I've loved her ever since.

Speaking of C.R, I'm shocked it only reaching #66 in America. It's regarded as one of her best songs over here.

I am :laugh:

Got exposed to her through my parents in my teens and found she has so many gems in her catalogue. Upside Down was the first song of hers I got to listen back in 1999. Love most Motown era artists in fact. As for Chain Reaction I agree it's wonderful, I guess different tastes for different markets. The UK and the US seem to differ many times as far as single chart performances from the same artist go

How beautiful is this as well. I adore singers who can nail ballads and pure pop perfection such as Diana. It is much harder to do that then people realize and only a few can do it perfectly.

Yes, that is so beautiful. One of my favorites...

and Mattress, "Baby, It's Me" is such an underrated amazing album!!! My sister gave me her vinyl copy but it's badly scratched. Was it ever remastered and put onto cd at all?

Amen Jan

There's nothing I can't stand more than vocalists who know they are merely technically gifted and deliberately go into oversinging mode all the time as if that's supposed to mean or prove anything. To show a soul while singing a song is worth a thousand times more than a silly shrilling contest.

As for Chain Reaction I agree it's wonderful, I guess different tastes for different markets. The UK and the US seem to differ many times as far as single chart performances from the same artist

The US had two chances to make "Chain Reaction" a hit and fucked it up both times. :americanlife: The second time we got a slightly spruced up remix.

God bless Funkytown Grooves for reissuing all of her RCA-era albums a few years back. Every song and mix that was officially released on 7" and 12" singles (promo or commercial) made it onto CD and they sound amazing!

I can't find a good video to post of this, so have to share a lyric video. As I mentioned earlier, one of the best ballads ever. How sad and beautiful is this song. I listen to it all the time.

Amen Jan

There's nothing I can't stand more than vocalists who know they are merely technically gifted and deliberately go into oversinging mode all the time as if that's supposed to mean or prove anything. To show a soul while singing a song is worth a thousand times more than a silly shrilling contest.

Exactly XXL. Those ghastly singing contests encourage people to just show off their vocal range and sing all over the melody. Music should always be performed with feeling and a pure sense of the melody.

The US had two chanced to make "Chain Reaction" a hit and fucked it up both times. :americanlife: The second time we got a slightly spruced up remix.

God bless Funkytown Grooves for reissuing all of her RCA-era albums a few years back. Every song and mix that was officially released on 7" and 12" singles (promo or commercial) made it onto CD and they sound amazing!

Chain Reaction was a huge hit in Australia as well. Was number 1 for ages. Love it.

Mattress, "Baby, It's Me" is an amazing album!!!

It's my favorite from her solo catalog! :)

Was gutted when, after a series of lavish CD reissues, Universal finally got to the expanded edition of Baby It's Me and only released it digitally.

There were some great bonus songs on it as well as a fun alternate remix of the album.

jazzy, this is one of my favorite songs ever. Along with Upside Down. I love Diana Ross. :confessions:

Thanks Crux. We do have the same tastes in music, don't we.

Another classic Diana song

Love that song too :laugh:

This was totally wrong:

While we're taking this moment... something that has always pissed me off regarding Billboard: Diana Ross is responsible for lead vocals on 18 US #1 singles, the same number as Mariah Carey.

1. Where Did Our Love Go
2. Baby Love
3. Come See About Me
4. Stop! In The Name Of Love
5. Back In My Arms Again
6. I Hear A Symphony
7. You Can't Hurry Love
8. You Keep Me Hangin' On
9. Love Is Here And Now You're Gone
10. The Happening
11. Love Child
12. Someday We'll Be Together
13. Ain't No Mountain High Enough
14. Touch Me In The Morning
15. Theme From Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To)
16. Love Hangover
17. Upside Down
18. Endless Love (duet with Lionel Richie)

Why does Nicki Minaj gets a Billboard accredited hit every time she says 5 words on someone else's song, yet Diana Ross doesn't get to lump hers together for a career total that ties her with Mimiphant for most #1's by a female?