MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Suedehead

"You didn't mean to be cruel / Somebody hurt you too."

Quite possibly her best lyric ever. Ever. In my opinionata of course. Agree? Disagree? Discuss?!

Haunting lyrics. I love it but it's always hard to listen to this song (for me) as I start thinking about certain things that happened in my life. I love the song though and yes, the lyrics are great! :-)

I remember being very surprised with it at the first listen - never had thought Madonna listened to Carly Simon.

Definitely one of her best lines along with "is it me or you that I'm afraid of" and the opening of Waiting imo

Oh father is her best song ever. Musically. Lyrically. Vocally.

And one of her best video.

Period.

And, by the way, I don't know any other "pop star" who would have the maturity and could sing something like this, these days.

Love those lines!!

So much hidden meaning and so much truth

Yes, those lyrics are very powerful.

To me, it says something about forgiveness. Sometimes it can be very difficult to forgive someone who has hurt you.

But ultimately forgiveness isn't for the other person. It's for you.

So you can let go of the negative feelings and move on.

Beautiful song and gorgeous video too!

That's my favorite part in Oh Father. it always makes me tear up.

And now I'm listening to Like A Prayer again... What an album. :dramatic:

And now I'm listening to Like A Prayer again... What an album. :dramatic:

I did the same, :lol:

that part gives me chills when I listen

Me too. And the way she delivers it.. *tears*

That lyric and also "Oh father/If you never wanted to live that way/If you never wanted to hurt me/Why am I running away?" always chill me to the bone.

tumblr_m4kb8lA8OF1r7e9vpo1_250.gif

Song is really moving, and wish video would have been on celebration just to expose any potential new fans to her more melancholy/mature work.

Broken children raising broken children.

It's not only the line, it's the end of maybe her most emotional bridge. Her voice and the explosion of emotion it brings.

The pearl on the floor:

mdna-pearls-floor.jpg

the confesionnal

hqdefault.jpg

and the redemption at the end:

mdna-catharsis.jpg

MASTERPIECE.

A third collaboration with David Fincher (whose creative input into the process was to make the visual world of film more accessible to Madonna), Oh Father is possibly Madonna’s highest artistic achievement. It has three narrative strands – the death of her mother when she was a young girl, the difficulty relationship with her father, and her abusive relationship with her husband, Sean Penn. In lesser hands, the subject matter might have been treated in a soap-operatic way. Fincher avoids this by referencing Orson Welles’ masterpiece, Citizen Kane (1941). Although Orson’s film and Madonna’s video tell very different stories, they are both concerned with how experiences in childhood effect the actions of the adult, especially two individuals who had humble beginnings and have become famous and wealthy beyond their imaginations. But more than this, Fincher adopts Gregg Toland’s cinematography to create a monochrome world of chiaroscuro to give the subject the solemnity and gravitas it deserves. Throughout Oh Father shadows depict how the grown up Madonna and her father are still wounded by the past, their younger selves acting out the same drama over and over again. As a paean to the moment just prior to her mother’s death, when she was a happy child in the same way Charles Foster Kane was on his sled, Rosebud, it is Madonna’s most compelling musical and aesthetic statement.

oh-father.png?w=880

from: https://phdavies.co.uk/2011/07/21/madonna-culture-vulture-film-influences/

O'h Father and Promise to Try are two of the most beautiful, personal and saddest songs ever recorded. The Like a Prayer album is a true masterpiece in every way.