Jump to content
MadonnaNation.com Forums
Suedehead

Eurovision thread

Recommended Posts

Do any or all of the above fit the bill?

All 6 cities are served by international airports.

All of them also have 2000+ hotel rooms. But I guess some of the cities might struggle meeting the "European standard" criterion.

As I wrote early, finding a suitable venue would be the biggest issue. At present, the only suitable venue would be the Palace of Sports in Kyiv. However, that venue wouldn't be available for 6 weeks before the contest itself, which is a requirement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kyiv, Dnipro, and Odessa have been shortlisted as possible host cities of the Eurovision Song Contest 2017, thus leaving Kharkiv, Kherson and Lviv out of the race.

Kyiv has proposed to host the contest in the Palace of Sports (first choice) or the International Exhibition Centre (backup).

Dnipro has proposed to host the contest in the as-yet-unfinished Dnipro Euro Arena.

Odessa has proposed to host the contest at the Chornomorets Stadium, to be covered by a temporary roof.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, with 6 months to go before the 2017 edition of the Eurovision Song Contest, we know the following:

  • The contest will take place on 9, 11 and 13 May at the International Exhibition Centre in Kyiv.
  • 43 countries will be taking part - the biggest number of participants since 2011.
  • Bosnia & Herzegovina has withdrawn, due to the national broadcaster facing financial difficulties.
  • Portugal and Romania will both be returning after one year's absence.

Four countries have already selected and revealed their participating artists:

  • Belgium: Blanche
  • Cyprus: Hovig
  • Macedonia: Jana Burčeska
  • Netherlands: O'G3NE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sweden's national selection, Melodifestivalen, is the biggest national Eurovision selection of them all.

The participants of the 2017 edition and the titles of their songs were announced by the broadcaster today. We won’t hear the actual songs until the rehearsal week of each semi-final, but there are several interesting names in the line-up.

Former Eurovision winners Charlotte Perrelli (1999) and Loreen (2012) are both returning to the competition. Other returning artists include Roger Pontare, Krista Siegfrids, Ace Wilder, Mariette and many others (15 returning acts in total).

There are also several interesting names among the songwriters.

  • Ace Wilder and Mariette's songs were co-written by the team that wrote "Euphoria" (Eurovision winner 2012)
  • Loreen and Lisa Ajax' songs were co-written by the team that wrote "Heroes" (Eurovision winner 2015)
  • The Fooo Conspiracy's song was co-written by Robert "Mutt" Lange, who has worked with acts such as AC/DC, Céline Dion and Lady Gaga, not to mention his ex-wife, Shania Twain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Msig said:

Sweden's national selection, Melodifestivalen, is the biggest national Eurovision selection of them all.

The participants of the 2017 edition and the titles of their songs were announced by the broadcaster today. We won’t hear the actual songs until the rehearsal week of each semi-final, but there are several interesting names in the line-up.

Former Eurovision winners Charlotte Perrelli (1999) and Loreen (2012) are both returning to the competition. Other returning artists include Roger Pontare, Krista Siegfrids, Ace Wilder, Mariette and many others (15 returning acts in total).

There are also several interesting names among the songwriters.

  • Ace Wilder and Mariette's songs were co-written by the team that wrote "Euphoria" (Eurovision winner 2012)
  • Loreen and Lisa Ajax' songs were co-written by the team that wrote "Heroes" (Eurovision winner 2015)
  • The Fooo Conspiracy's song was co-written by Robert "Mutt" Lange, who has worked with acts such as AC/DC, Céline Dion and Lady Gaga, not to mention his ex-wife, Shania Twain

ooooh..Krista was robbed last year!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, dollhouse said:

ooooh..Krista was robbed last year!

I wasn't big fan of her 2016 entry, but apparently her new one is much better and clubbier in style.

Btw, Loreen is currently the bookmakers' clear favourite to win, followed by Mariette and Ace Wilder. Early Melodifestivalen odds, however, are frequently wrong. This year, eventual winner Frans was initially listed as 21st by bookmakers, and in 2013, Robin Stjernberg's win came as a major surprise to everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Msig said:

I wasn't big fan of her 2016 entry, but apparently her new one is much better and clubbier in style.

Btw, Loreen is currently the bookmakers' clear favourite to win, followed by Mariette and Ace Wilder. Early Melodifestivalen odds, however, are frequently wrong. This year, eventual winner Frans was initially listed as 21st by bookmakers, and in 2013, Robin Stjernberg's win came as a major surprise to everyone.

Ok but she won't get enough votes to g to final if she sings in Swedish again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Azerbaijan will be represented by DiHaj in Kiv.. The song itself will be revealed later, but here's a taste of what they have previously released:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Msig did you see that it's being considered not hosting Eurovision in the UK because of organisational chaos and financial mismanagement? I think it was on the BBC site a few days ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jonski43 said:

@Msig did you see that it's being considered not hosting Eurovision in the UK because of organisational chaos and financial mismanagement? I think it was on the BBC site a few days ago. 

It's all BS. A rumour started by Russian state-controlled media.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Msig said:

It's all BS. A rumour started by Russian state-controlled media.

Really? It's becoming an issue here. They've set up a news agency in Scotland that's pushing out a lot of dubious news content and it's getting picked up by a lot of agencies.

Post truth era is alive and well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jonski43 said:

Really? It's becoming an issue here. They've set up a news agency in Scotland that's pushing out a lot of dubious news content and it's getting picked up by a lot of agencies.

Post truth era is alive and well. 

This is the latest news from the horse's own mouth:

Both NTU and the Reference Group, the governing body of the Eurovision Song Contest, have been candid in stating that there have been challenges with organising the forthcoming competition in Ukraine. Apart from finding a suitable venue, there were also legislation issues that needed to be solved as well as budgetary considerations to be addressed. 

Jon Ola Sand, the Executive Supervisor stated that NTU and the authorities in Kyiv have made good progress over the last weeks and this will be closely monitored moving forward. He added that the core team at NTU are now in place and that the Reference Group have full confidence in them to overcome the challenges that remain.

http://www.eurovision.tv/page/news?id=green_light_for_kyiv_but_challenges_remain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have our first entry for next year's Eurovision, from Albania

The song is sung by Albanian-Kosovar singer Lindita, who has been living in the US since 2013. She appeared on the final season of American Idol, where she made it to the top 51.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that Montenegro has announced Slavko Kalezić as their representative, we know 10 of the artists who'll be competing in next year's Eurovision Song Contest:

Albania: Lindita - Botë (title of the English version TBA)

Armenia: Artsvik - song TBD

Austria: Nathan Trent - song TBA

Azerbaijan: DiHaj

Belgium: Blanche - song TBA

Cyprus: Hovig - song TBA

Ireland: Brendan Murray - song TBD

Macedonia: Jana Burčeska - song TBA

Montenegro: Slavko Kalezić - Strange

Netherlands: O'G3NE - song TBD

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Georgia just selected their entry. They'll be represented by Tako Gachechiladze and her self and her self-penned song "Keep the Faith". Tako was previously chosen to represent Georgia in 2009 as a member of the group 3G, but the EBU rejected the song, due to the lyrics being too political. Rather than reworking the lyrics, they chose to withdraw altogether.

The Greek entrant has also been chosen, namely Demy. Her song for Eurovision will be chosen by the public in late February. Viewers will be able to vote for three different songs, all written by Dimitris Kontopoulos. The song chosen will be Dimitris Kontopoulos' 7th Eurovision entry - all of his previous entries have made the top 7.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Belarus just chose their entry, too. IMO, it's the best Belarussian entry since they debuted in 2004 - and it will even be the first ever Eurovision entry to be performed in Belarussian :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Friday, the UK will be voting for the poor sods who are going to have appear as the first post - Brexit act. :lmao:

Nil Points coming up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/1/2017 at 9:07 PM, jonski43 said:

On Friday, the UK will be voting for the poor sods who are going to have appear as the first post - Brexit act. :lmao:

Nil Points coming up!

If only the songs were good enough... but they aren't! I mean.. the songs aren't bad, but they aren't catchy or interesting interesting enough either. My prediction: The UK won't make the top 10 this year. Depending on which song wins Eurovision: You Decide, might even end up outside the top 20.

It doesn't get much better by the fact that all 6 acts in the line-up are former X Factor contestants, only two of made it to the live shows. One of the 6 didn't even make it past the first audition - and her audition was never aired! :lmao:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Msig said:

If only the songs were good enough... but they aren't! I mean.. the songs aren't bad, but they aren't catchy or interesting interesting enough either. My prediction: The UK won't make the top 10 this year. Depending on which song wins Eurovision: You Decide, might even end up outside the top 20.

It doesn't get much better by the fact that all 6 acts in the line-up are former X Factor contestants, only two of made it to the live shows. One of the 6 didn't even make it past the first audition - and her audition was never aired! :lmao:

 

 

I've not heard them yet. I'm waiting for Friday's live show. I think the X-factor thing is interesting. We've tried everything in terms of sources for talent to take part so this is as good as any!

I think we're pretty much expecting to come very near the bottom, if not then last. We had a really good song last year and we were third from the bottom I think so what chance have we got now post Brexit with what sounds like dull songs!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, jonski43 said:

We had a really good song last year and we were third from the bottom I think so what chance have we got now post Brexit with what sounds like dull songs!  

You may have had a good song last year, but Joe & Jake's performance felt rather flat. The UK's problem at Eurovision is that everyone in Europe knows that your top songwriters and producers are capable of making very good pop music, but still you send your D-squad almost every single year.

I think it has a lot to do with the mindset of both the British viewers and those in charge of selecting the songs that go through.

In general, most of the UK's Eurovision entries in the past 20 years have been either 1) insultingly bad, 2) incredibly forgettable, or 3) decent songs that were killed by unfortunate or downright atrocious live performance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Msig said:

You may have had a good song last year, but Joe & Jake's performance felt rather flat. The UK's problem at Eurovision is that everyone in Europe knows that your top songwriters and producers are capable of making very good pop music, but still you send your D-squad almost every single year.

I think it has a lot to do with the mindset of both the British viewers and those in charge of selecting the songs that go through.

In general, most of the UK's Eurovision entries in the past 20 years have been either 1) insultingly bad, 2) incredibly forgettable, or 3) decent songs that were killed by unfortunate or downright atrocious live performance. 

Yes, the guys tried their hardest but did look like a pair of student buskers! But I look at some of the other countries songs and some of the winners over the past twenty years and some of those have been dire too. 

But yes, I've said it before, the contest has such a bad reputation here no famous person will go near as it will likely kill their career or mean they are a one hit wonder.

Although Joe and Jake are back with quite a good new song.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The UK has now become the 4th country to choose its entry for Kyiv.

The song was co-written by 2013 winner Emmelie de Forest and one of my former classmates :)

IMO, it was the best among the 6 shortlisted songs, but I feel that it needs some kind of beat to kick in after the first chorus.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We watched last night but we were so busy talking we didn't even notice this one. We preferred another one - woman in cheap foil outfit, as it sounded like the typical Eurovision songs entered by Azerbaijan or Turkey etc. 

Just listened. Geez, it's a boring song. I think there were better but we all thought our entrants just looked like holiday camp entertainers with no originality or personality. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finland has chosen its entry for Kyiv, too. It wasn't my top favourite song in the line-up, but Norma John's performance was miles better than any of the others. They won both the international jury voting and the televoting by a comfortable margin.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LAST YEAR WAS SO BORING

It wasnt campy at all, the best song was the interlude one!

I hope they deliver this year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/1/2017 at 10:32 PM, Starman said:

LAST YEAR WAS SO BORING

It wasnt campy at all, the best song was the interlude one!

You really think so?

IMO, last year had the strongest line-up in years. The less campy, the better!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Msig said:

You really think so?

IMO, last year had the strongest line-up in years. The less campy, the better!

 

 

I totally disagree 😡

Too much slow and boring songs, and the winner was boring aswell

Give me conchita and manz

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I thought there were some great songs last year although cannot for the life of me remember the winner. I think that was boring!

I don't want it to be some campfest although I enjoy some bad entries like everyone else. I don't like it being sidelined as some 'gay world cup'. It's insulting to everyone - gay and straight.

It's an international singing competition. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2017 at 8:15 PM, Starman said:

This is pop perfection

 

 

Indeed! :)

IMO, so are these songs, none of which even made it to Eurovision:

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×