MadonnaNation.com Forums
Suedy

Eurovision thread

Austria.

Wow. Now that is unusual. An Austrian girl singing in french. At first I thought she was from Switzerland and was confused why there was no Switzerland on the results board.

Funny? NOT! Get yourself acquainted with the history of the Crimean tatars and what happened under the regime of the Soviet Union. If I understood it right her grandmother died when her family was removed from their home. It was a deeply personal song.

And hats off for her doing such a song.

Gimme a break, it was hilarious cuz it was presented in sucha pompous way...it's like doing a musical on the holocaust.

btw, the belgian song is written by a belgian girl who opened for prince a few years ago by his request of courset. and i met her while in a hotel while going to madonna's show in amsterdam.

She was my fave! The only song with some funk and pop potential. How nice to know Prince had her for an opening.

I'm with Acko. That woman was a downer and we are not interested in holocausts during Eurovision thanks. Besides, the rules forbid political statements and if that woman could sing that song was because it was anti Russia. Had it been anti Germany or anti Spain and it would have been banned.

I like the Bulgarian song. But unfortunately the presentation was so la la. The attire was strange, especially the illumination at the end. Nonsense. And I think she could have been a little more energetic. She was not really dancing.

I agree, actually liked the song but the autrocious costume let her down.

This year was the first time ever that I voted! And stupid me I confused the numbers and voted for Sweden!!! UGH, I voted twice more for Bulgaria to compensate!

The Swedish entry was a mega turd.

I'm with Acko. That woman was a downer and we are not interested in holocausts during Eurovision thanks. Besides, the rules forbid political statements and if that woman could sing that song was because it was anti Russia. Had it been anti Germany or anti Spain and it would have been banned.

Wasnt there a highly political song last year? 1 million killed in genocide by the turqs?

I just had to laugh when Justin Timberlake came and showed them all up, it was hilarious and a great perfomance, great band.

I don't remember but it shouldn't be. This is a celebration contest, not the UNO.

I just had to laugh when Justin Timberlake came and showed them all up, it was hilarious and a great perfomance, great band.

Oh for me it was the contrary!!! I thought "if this person were in the competition, he wouldn't have passed the semifinals" hahaha

If it was Anti Russian, I don't care. Russia needs to be called out for certain things. Nothing wrong with that. And there have been many rule breakers over the years. Ein bisschen Frieden?

I don't remember but it shouldn't be. This is a celebration contest, not the UNO.

Actually its a songwriter contest with performance, that's what it'always been about. Songs of peace are also political. Ein bichen frieden (maybe spelt wrong) was afterall written when Germany was still divided and people shot at Check Point Charlie.

If it was Anti Russian, I don't care. Russia needs to be called out for certain things. Nothing wrong with that. And there have been many rule breakers over the years. Ein bisschen Frieden?

I thought of that one too! And I ran around singing it as a kid after the contest haha fond memories

Wasnt there a highly political song last year? 1 million killed in genocide by the turqs?

There was this Serbian song that won years ago which was about homosexuality which was/is a huge issue in those Balkan countries. And let's face it, the ESC is the perfect stage for those messages considering it's most liklely the gayest show on earth. Which makes me wonder how they would do this kind of event in Russia again in the future. I mean, having laws that forbid promoting homosexuality and hosting the ESC? Hypocrisy much. The equivalent of that homophobic Irish priest who was just caught on Grindr.

Actually its a songwriter contest with performance, that's what it'always been about. Songs of peace are also political. Ein bichen frieden (maybe spelt wrong) was afterall written when Germany was still divided and people shot at Check Point Charlie.

That song was actually not about the German separation. It was released at a time when the Cold War was at its worst, when Nato and Warsaw Pact newly armed Western and Eastern Europe with huge amounts of nuclear weapons and everyone was afraid of WW3 and the fact that there would be no Europe left once the U.S. and Soviet Union made it to their playground of a pissing contest.

Best for me:

Bulgaria - not cause I m from Bulgaria but the song really grabs u and it has a hit written all over it. I ve read somewhere that Madonna could ve sung this & I could picture it plus its instant and grabbing. At first wasn't fan of the costume but it grew on me and I get where she goes with it (futuristic soldier of love). As a whole should ve won or come second after AUSTRALIA. This could be a summer hit.

Australia - touching empowering and simple but effective (and I generally dislike power ballads but it was so good you cant deny it). Should ve won or come second behind Bulgaria.

Latvia - simple yet strong song that really grabs you. Love the simplicity and the keyboards jumping it. He sung it like he meant it and the voice was great. It came 15th which was a real crime. Should ve been third.

Belgium - love the song and the performance. So much great energy. They were robbed. Should ve been top 5.

France - amazing song and great voice. It influenced me. Should ve been top5 (came 6th).

Spain - feel good song but I didn't like the performance (dancing and costumes) - should ve been higher.

Croatia - loved the song really but the performance... Well. It really killed its great chance. She sounded off-key on many parts.

I thought both Ukraine and Russia were overrated. I didn't like the fact that the Eurovision was turned into a political battlefield between both. Ukraine song wasn't bad per se but it not great or memorable. Russia felt like it was TOO PERFECTLY done BY THE NUMBERS... And that felt somehow off-putting.

Wow. Pretty much the definition of everything that is wrong in the world of music today and why the younger generation is shit. A song with a message? God forbid! A tune with a great production singing about "love, love, peace, peace" is sooo much better then a song with a message. Could you be anymore superficial? The end of art it is. Opium for the masses. Herewith I declare "In this life" a shit song because it a) has a message and b) is rather tuneless.

And seriously, all the countries you have mentioned had generic songs you can hear on the radio everywhere by acts from a casting show. It was just the presentation that was better. Well, the UK and Latvia were not even that except for being cute. You probably just wanted to f*ck them.

:rolleyes:

You probably just wanted to f*ck them.

Seriously? How dare you refer to me like that. Don't ever respond to one of my posts again.

Politics should be out of this program. Period. This is Europe, lots of history going on and every country could sing an emotional song about horrid crimes against another country. The Ukrainian song should had been banned.

Imagine next year Spain sings against the French for the invasion and cruel war that happened in 1808??? My city was completely destroyed and thousands died.

Or Bulgaria about the Turkish occupation that almost swept the whole Bulgarian culture.

Or Poland about German atrocities...

Interesting some come up policiy should banned from eurovision although since its beginning in the 50s this show is nothing than policy. So better cancel this whole fomat. No more eurovision.

Seems like some cannot agree that Ukraine won with a deep message. Very double standard. But nothing new to me.

My top 3: Spain, Latvia, Bulgaria

Croatia <3

I absolutely agree with Karbatal. Politics should not be allowed in Eurovision. They shouldn't rain on our camp parade :).

Interesting some come up policiy should banned from eurovision although since its beginning in the 50s this show is nothing than policy. So better cancel this whole fomat. No more eurovision.

Seems like some cannot agree that Ukraine won with a deep message. Very double standard. But nothing new to me.

MEH what has the voting-your-neighbour politics with what I said?

And it has nothing to do with a deep message. You can have deep songs without being about history or politics which instead of bring countries together, they make them further apart.

I absolutely agree with this. What's the meaning of it today anyway. I think countries should vote on it. Eurovision-exit. Furthermore, many countries TV stations probably can't even afford to produce the show anymore. In times of austerity spending all this money may seem inappropriate. On the other hand, countries like Russia, Azerbaijan, Hungary and Poland would love to be the host for propaganda purposes. Look, we are so liberal, we love to entertain the faggots of the world. People say we have an issue with basic human rights. Something we don't see and of course we don't adress because the Eurovision is not the place to discuss politics.

MEH what has the voting-your-neighbour politics with what I said?

And it has nothing to do with a deep message. You can have deep songs without being about history or politics which instead of bring countries together, they make them further apart.

I wonder what kind of topics that would be? Death and Illness? Heartbreak? Exactly what people are looking for at such an event. Really cheerful stuff.

Politics should be out of this program. Period. This is Europe, lots of history going on and every country could sing an emotional song about horrid crimes against another country. The Ukrainian song should had been banned.

Imagine next year Spain sings against the French for the invasion and cruel war that happened in 1808??? My city was completely destroyed and thousands died.

Or Bulgaria about the Turkish occupation that almost swept the whole Bulgarian culture.

Or Poland about German atrocities...

Interesting. You bring things up that are ages ago while the Ukrainian song has an actual meaning. When was the annexion of Crimea again. 2 years ago? She may have sung about what happened to her Grandmother during Stalins leadership but the relation to current events under Putin is quite clear.

Guest Rachelle of London

I didn't realise Eurovision was so serious. If a song is good then it should win. "Message" or not

Guest Mauro

Were there any Eurovision-related riots? lol

Where was this girl singing in french coming from? I thought her performance was cute.

Australia was fine. Exactly what you would expect from a Eurovision song. Am I the only one who thought her presentation did not work 100% technically? I understand what she was going for but they didn't manage to get the effects across on to the TV screen.

I liked it as well. the critics thought she wouldnt even make the half finals, but she was cute and the song was okay. she wrote it with her dad, that's a story that sometimes "sells" the song.

dont underestimate the media's power. at least in my country the presenter always says how the song is perceived "they say this is the winning song" which already manipulates the public in voting for them if they have no favorite. they did it with sweden last year, they did it with russia this year (i sorta liked it but it was a repeat from sweden's heroes) the song itself was just blah.. it was also a copy from bey's countdown (which also was a copy from another show but you know..)

bulgaria was one of my favs

eurovision was so "uncool" 10yrs ago when I was in HS..

im still pressed about turkey stealing belgium's #1 in 2003 by 2 fucking points