MadonnaNation.com Forums
Suedey

Eurovision thread

One more entry chosen, from Spain:

Two countries have announced their representatives for ESC 2019 today - both will reveal the songs themselves at a later time.

San Marino will be represented by Serhat, who already represented the country in 2016.

The Netherlands will be represented by singer-songwriter Duncan Laurence, who previously appeared on The Voice of Holland in 2014. Mentored by Ilse Delange, who represented the Netherlands herself in ESC 2014, he made it to the semifinals.

I do not like Spain's song at all.... it sounds very dated.

So no Ken Doll for San Marino? 😞

On 1/22/2019 at 2:53 PM, Ally Campano said:

I do not like Spain's song at all.... it sounds very dated.

The songwriter said that it will be rearranged and re-recorded for Eurovision. Maybe that'll improve it?

One more country, France, has chosen its entry for ESC 2019:

Additionally, North Macedonia and Malta have chosen their representative acts.

North Macedonia will be represented by Tamara Todevska, who previously represented the country in 2008 along with Vrčak and Adrian Gaxha:

Malta will be represented by Michela Pace, who won the right to represent her country by winning the first series of X Factor Malta:

An international expert jury and Eurovision fans from all over the world have spoken: Lake Malawi will represent the Czech Republic in 2019 with the song "Friend of a Friend":

Austria will be represented by Pænda. Her entry, "Limits", hasn't been released yet, so here's her most recent single:

Finland will be represented by Darude, who is best known for his 1999 international hit single, "Sandstorm". His ESC entry is yet to be chosen.

Back in July 2018, Universal Music sent a warning letter to Doron Medalie and Stav Beger,  the songwriters of last year's winning song, "Toy", claiming that the song was too similar to the The White Stripes' “Seven Nation Army”. A settlement has now been reached, and Jack White is has been officially listed as a co-writer of “Toy”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM--L-3RwDw

1 hour ago, Msig said:

Back in July 2018, Universal Music sent a warning letter to Doron Medalie and Stav Beger,  the songwriters of last year's winning song, "Toy", claiming that the song was too similar to the The White Stripes' “Seven Nation Army”. A settlement has now been reached, and Jack White is has been officially listed as a co-writer of “Toy”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM--L-3RwDw

No similarities 😕

Btw you should work somewhere for Eurovision! 😄

18 minutes ago, M_Sinner said:

No similarities 😕

The have the exact same chord progression and tempo.. that's it..

Sergey Lazarev, who represented Russia in ESC 2016, winning the public vote and finishing 3rd overall, will be representing his country again this year. His entry hasn't been revealed yet, though it's rumoured to be a ballad.

On 1/20/2019 at 11:27 PM, Msig said:

One more entry chosen, from Spain:

I like it, the melody is catchy, but I feel that the song drags on for too long. I would skip a verse or two (there are to many) and add more percussion to create impact.

The British people has spoken: Michael Rice will represent the UK with the song "Bigger Than Us".

Just now, Msig said:

The British people has spoken: Michael Rice will represent the UK with the song "Bigger Than Us".

Good song but I don't think he's strong enough a performer. I think this would have gone down better all round.

Shit! I am watching it on my TIVO , I was catching up on Hollyoaks 

kerrie Anne should have won

united kingdom no points 😟😟😟

at least I got to see Mans Zelmerlow 

😩😫😖😖

I cannot stand Mel, she is grating

and who gave these people the authority to. Vote? 

Well actually the winner could have a chance, the lyrics are so silly they could be from any other European country 

‘I usually vote for Greece or Turkey lol

5 minutes ago, windsor67 said:

I cannot stand Mel, she is grating

and who gave these people the authority to. Vote? 

We're trying anything to get a decent song but yes the jury were so d list.

Although it's a good Eurovision song, I'm not sure sending a pasty white young Brit will be enough to stand up against all the razzle dazzle of other acts especially in the current political climate! 

And opinion is really split on Twitter.

9 minutes ago, jonski43 said:

We're trying anything to get a decent song but yes the jury were so d list.

Although it's a good Eurovision song, I'm not sure sending a pasty white young Brit will be enough to stand up against all the razzle dazzle of other acts especially in the current political climate! 

And opinion is really split on Twitter.

We will lose it at least it will be entertaining 

anyway no one has had a career out of it in a very long time

love it still 🙂

11 hours ago, windsor67 said:

We will lose it at least it will be entertaining 

anyway no one has had a career out of it in a very long time

love it still 🙂

The BBC, the UK music industry and the UK public should take note of countries such as Sweden, Italy and Australia. The acts they send to Eurovision are often ones who have have had several major hits prior to their Eurovision participation, and who are currently relevant in the music scene. And it works. Sweden has made the Eurovision top 10 every year since 2010, Italy has made the top 10 six times in the past eight years, and Australia has failed to make the top 10 only once since their debut in 2015.

Also, Swedish television makes a great effort out of making their national selection a party for everybody. Several musical styles and age groups are represented in the line-up, and they even have a rule stating that at least half of the competing songs in their selection must have at least one female co-writer.

Here are recaps of the two latest Swedish national finals:

1 hour ago, Msig said:

The BBC, the UK music industry and the UK public should take note of countries such as Sweden, Italy and Australia. The acts they send to Eurovision are often ones who have have had several major hits prior to their Eurovision participation, and who are currently relevant in the music scene. And it works. Sweden has made the Eurovision top 10 every year since 2010, Italy has made the top 10 six times in the past eight years, and Australia has failed to make the top 10 only once since their debut in 2015.

Also, Swedish television makes a great effort out of making their national selection a party for everybody. Several musical styles and age groups are represented in the line-up, and they even have a rule stating that at least half of the competing songs in their selection must have at least one female co-writer.

Here are recaps of the two latest Swedish national finals:

Yes but I doubt any UK act that's having chart success would want to be a Eurovision act. It's really got a bad image here and you'd only go in for it if you haven't got any chance of mainstream success.

Madonna's appearance may change that perception but currently it's seriously uncool and considered a career killer despite the huge audience.

11 minutes ago, jonski43 said:

Yes but I doubt any UK act that's having chart success would want to be a Eurovision act. It's really got a bad image here and you'd only go in for it if you haven't got any chance of mainstream success.

Madonna's appearance may change that perception but currently it's seriously uncool and considered a career killer despite the huge audience.

Agree 100%

40 minutes ago, jonski43 said:

Kind of snobbish attitude from the UK music industry though. Only needs someone successful to go there, represent the UK proudly and change the perception. 

The U.K. music industry is so successful all over the world it does not really need the contest 🙂

still the U.K. is one of the biggest financial contributors to the contest 

1 hour ago, jonski43 said:

That's how it used to be regarded in Sweden, too, during the 1990s and early 2000s. But Swedish television made a serious effort of changing the attitude of the Swedish music industry towards the contest. It has paid off to the extent that songs that have competed in their national Eurovision selection dominate local charts from February-June.

Internationally successful songwriters and producers such as RedOne, Desmond Child and Robert "Mutt" Lange have all entered songs into the Swedish selections in recent years.

Kate Miller-Heidke was just chosen as Australia's representative with the song "Zero Gravity. The performance is so ridiculously over the top that I think Australia might miss out on the Eurovision final for the first time since its debut.

And I think someone might have been a little inspired by the Rebel Heart Tour performance of "Illuminati"

Go Kate - so over the top but something different for Australia. 

20 minutes ago, Msig said:

That's how it used to be regarded in Sweden, too, during the 1990s and early 2000s. But Swedish television made a serious effort of changing the attitude of the Swedish music industry towards the contest. It has paid off to the extent that songs that have competed in their national Eurovision selection dominate local charts from February-June.

Always love Sweden's entrants. They are always in it to win it and I love that.