MadonnaNation.com Forums
Suedey

Eurovision thread

Australia should have won :evil::(

WTF Australia taking part in Europe's song contest? What was this shit?

No one bats an eyelid at Israel so why not? GET OVER IT

ukraine getting so much shade here!

and beyonce & lemonade got SO MANY MENTIONS in my country (like even the after show) wtf is that about??

Was hoping Dami would have held on. :gross:

But she did so well! Congrats on that! xxx

At least Ukraines song had some depth, even if it was too waily for my taste it tells a story not often heard about what happened to the crimean tatars.

YAAAY! :tigger: :tigger:

Already last Wednesday, I saw Ukraine's victory coming, so I placed a bet on Ukraine winning at odds 5.00 (4/1). So I just won $114! :D

"1944" wasn't my personal favourite, but I had it in my top 3, along with France and Sweden.

Some stats:

- Australia, Bulgaria, and the Czech Republic all scored their best-ever results at Eurovision

- Lithuania made the top 10 for the first time in 10 years

- Poland made the top 10 for the first time in 13 years

- France scored their best result since 2002 after having finished in the bottom 5 every year from 2012-2015

- For the fifth time in 20 years, Spain made the bottom 5

- The UK finished 24th for the second consecutive year

- Germany finished last for the second consecutive year

- For the second consecutive year, the televoters' favourite didn't win

btw, the belgian song is written by a belgian girl who opened for prince a few years ago by his request of courset. and i met her while in a hotel while going to madonna's show in amsterdam.

Very weak songs this time , the all sounded the same , and the singers are not doing those european faces the camera :(

Australia was the best though

AMAZING staging though, they all looked beautiful

A few observations:

- I thought Petra and Mans were the best hosts in very, very many years - both excellent and hilarious. Their interlude performance 'Love Peace Peace Love' was utter genius.

- The new voting reveal makes that part of the process vital and thrilling.

- Interesting choice of winner - will be fascinating to see how Ukraine's hosting goes.

- Ukraine hosting next years means I really hope we get to see more of the amazing Verka Serduchka.

- I quite felt for the UK entry - they did this year deserve to do much better.

- The difference between what 'experts' and the public thought good was interesting.

- It felt a bit sad that Justin Timberlake was the big performer of the night, and I agree with Norton, I think we can expect more U.S. special guest slots in the future. I'd have hoped with it being Eurovision there might be any one of the millions of top drawer European artists in that slot. It felt all the more jarring after the 4 minute video showing us all the amazing Swedish pop songs over the years - Roxette could've done 'Good Karma' and it'd have made more sense.

- Following on from above - the times are really challenging the concept of a 'Euro' song contest ... perhaps it should be renamed and include all countries of the world?

It really is interesting that Army of Lovers tried so many times to attend the Eurovison but everytime they failed to qualifiy, though their last try was very weak. It should be a song like Crucified

A few observations:

- I thought Petra and Mans were the best hosts in very, very many years - both excellent and hilarious. Their interlude performance 'Love Peace Peace Love' was utter genius.

- Interesting choice of winner - will be fascinating to see how Ukraine's hosting goes.

- Ukraine hosting next years means I really hope we get to see more of the amazing Verka Serduchka.

- The difference between what 'experts' and the public thought good was interesting.

- It felt a bit sad that Justin Timberlake was the big performer of the night, and I agree with Norton, I think we can expect more U.S. special guest slots in the future. I'd have hoped with it being Eurovision there might be any one of the millions of top drawer European artists in that slot. It felt all the more jarring after the 4 minute video showing us all the amazing Swedish pop songs over the years - Roxette could've done 'Good Karma' and it'd have made more sense.

- Following on from above - the times are really challenging the concept of a 'Euro' song contest ... perhaps it should be renamed and include all countries of the world?

Totally agree with what u said, great hosts, the parody songs was hilarious :lol:

A few observations:

only if it really is the world, including asia, south america, africa.. so we can see many different cultures like we can in europe. sorry im one of those people who loves alexander from norway with his fairytale. i love the balkan music we have in europe. i love the atmosphere, the big drums, the flutes, .. but its slowly disappearing and if the US would join it'll get worse, so the whole world or just europe for me ;)

south america joining would be so much fun though

only if it really is the world, including asia, south america, africa.. so we can see many different cultures like we can in europe. sorry im one of those people who loves alexander from norway with his fairytale. i love the balkan music we have in europe. i love the atmosphere, the big drums, the flutes, .. but its slowly disappearing and if the US would join it'll get worse, so the whole world or just europe for me ;)

south america joining would be so much fun though

Im with you nikki , i felt this year the performances were much less european

Omg loved the televote moment. I found absurd that universal praise for Australia from the jury and BAM! Ukraine wins

And Bulgaria fourth Yeahhhhh

I thought the Ukraine song was rather tuneless. I don't like the idea of a song winning because it has a message. It should win because it's a good tune! And while most of the nights songs were pretty poor there were lots with much better tunes and production such as Latvia, Belgium, France, Australia, UK, Malta, Sweden and Russia than the Ukraine.

UkraIne is awful....the lyrics r ridiculous. Too on the nose & pathetic.

"The soldiers come 2 the house..." :rotfl: *wails*

Yep, it was really trite.

I believe many Western Europeans don't like Jamala's winning song because it is too foreign sounding to them. I (as a Serb) loved it and thought it was the most original and memorable entry - by far.

Australia was good but let's not pretend that the song was this impressive masterpiece which deserved to win over all other 25 entries! Umm no!

So happy for Bulgaria's great result. The song deserves to become a summer smash.

Undeserved last place for Germany for the second year in a row...

I believe many Western Europeans don't like Jamala's winning song because it is too foreign sounding to them. I (as a Serb) loved it and thought it was the most original and memorable entry - by far.

Australia was good but let's not pretend that the song was this impressive masterpiece which deserved to win over all other 25 entries! Umm no!

So happy for Bulgaria's great result. The song deserves to become a summer smash.

Undeserved last place for Germany for the second year in a row...

lol europeans love "foreign sounding" songs. they often do well at eurovision. in fact they laughed about that fact in their mockery of eurovision's clichés to get the winning song.

germany was horrible.

Funny? NOT! Get yourself acquainted with the history of the Crimean tatars and what happened under the regime of the Soviet Union. If I understood it right her grandmother died when her family was removed from their home. It was a deeply personal song.

And hats off for her doing such a song.

All but Australia were completely shit. Ukraine :lmao:

Bulgaria with her home made outfit and that stupid chorus, Russia trying so hard to tick all the boxes. The wanna be beyonce from armenia, the Polish guy in his circus jacket :lmao:

Tragic mess

The presenters were funny and Australia was great. That's it.

I thought the Ukraine song was rather tuneless. I don't like the idea of a song winning because it has a message. It should win because it's a good tune! And while most of the nights songs were pretty poor there were lots with much better tunes and production such as Latvia, Belgium, France, Australia, UK, Malta, Sweden and Russia than the Ukraine.

Wow. Pretty much the definition of everything that is wrong in the world of music today and why the younger generation is shit. A song with a message? God forbid! A tune with a great production singing about "love, love, peace, peace" is sooo much better then a song with a message. Could you be anymore superficial? The end of art it is. Opium for the masses. Herewith I declare "In this life" a shit song because it a) has a message and b) is rather tuneless.

And seriously, all the countries you have mentioned had generic songs you can hear on the radio everywhere by acts from a casting show. It was just the presentation that was better. Well, the UK and Latvia were not even that except for being cute. You probably just wanted to f*ck them.

Omg loved the televote moment. I found absurd that universal praise for Australia from the jury and BAM! Ukraine wins

that was really funny!!! if only we could see australian singer´s face!!!

lol europeans love "foreign sounding" songs. they often do well at eurovision. in fact they laughed about that fact in their mockery of eurovision's clichés to get the winning song.

germany was horrible.

That is true. And the "peace, peace, love, love" song was the most amazing thing of the evening. Because there is so much truth to it. And yes, Germany indeed deserved to be last. Not necessarily because it was the worst song but the whole presentation was wrong. What they don't understand for many years now is that you have to stand out, you have to work the crowd, you have to have to put on a show that people remember. And that is a visual thing. People will hardly remember a song out of 26 others when all the songs sound the same. The show makes the difference. And singing in the dark, wearing some anime costume is not really helpful when you have no stage presence or other features that are captivating. You have a good voice? Well, they all have. But this is no longer a singing competition. The Russian guy did it right. Average song but interesting presentation that made you question how did they do it with the steps and floating. Or the Italian girl. Shit song but standing in the middle of a lake was interesting. Those are the things people remember. A creative presentation. Considering the technical possibilities there are huge chances to wow the people. Or at least keep it simple and play with peoples emotions. Like the Israeli guy. Singing about stars and people having all those little lamps that looked like, you guess it, stars. Then add some pyrotechnics, falling sparkles and the right camera angle et voila you have a power shot. It's simple. It's effective. It works.

I like the Bulgarian song. But unfortunately the presentation was so la la. The attire was strange, especially the illumination at the end. Nonsense. And I think she could have been a little more energetic. She was not really dancing.

Oh dear! It appears one of the Danish jury members, Hilda Heick, completely misunderstood the jury voting procedure, effectively ranking her favourite last, and vice versa.

This resulted in Ukraine getting 12 points from the Danish jury. If Hilda Heick had voted as she intended, Ukraine wouldn't have received any points at all from the Danish jury, winning over Australia by a margin of just 11 points.

Where was this girl singing in french coming from? I thought her performance was cute.

Australia was fine. Exactly what you would expect from a Eurovision song. Am I the only one who thought her presentation did not work 100% technically? I understand what she was going for but they didn't manage to get the effects across on to the TV screen.

Where was this girl singing in french coming from? I thought her performance was cute.

Austria.

Oh dear! It appears one of the Danish jury members, Hilda Heick, completely misunderstood the jury voting procedure, effectively ranking her favourite last, and vice versa.

This resulted in Ukraine getting 12 points from the Danish jury. If Hilda Heick had voted as she intended, Ukraine wouldn't have received any points at all from the Danish jury, winning over Australia by a margin of just 11 points.

How did they find out? Did she tell the people? If so, she is even dumber than I thought.