MadonnaNation.com Forums
Suedy

Eurovision thread

The 2018 Eurovision Song Contest will be presented by Filomena Cautela, Sílvia Alberto, Daniela Ruah, and Catarina Furtado!

Tomorrow Britain will announce the six poor sods who are going to compete to become the British entry

Who is Russia representing? 

So, I've listened to all six UK entries but nothing stands out particularly.  All very formulaic Radio 1 pop. SuRie 'Storm' sounds too much like a recent previous winner too - Denmark? 

On 23/1/2018 at 8:26 PM, Katypatra said:

Who is Russia representing? 

Last year, when Russia withdrew from ESC 2017, both Russian broadcasters stated that Julia Samoylova would be representing the country in 2018, but this hasn't been officially confirmed.

Whenever the Russian entry is chosen internally, it isn't announced until a few days before the mid-March deadline.

The BBC's main issue is that the people in charge of their Eurovision selection are aiming for competent, but rather generic songs. But that's not how you win Eurovision. You need to take risks. Have a song with a clear USP that makes it stand out from the competition. None of the songs in the You Decide line-up are bad, but none of them are distinctive enough to be in with a chance of winnin.

If she delivers on stage, I think the UK would have its best shot at a top 10 by sending Asanda to Eurovision, alternatively Jaz Ellington.

Here's a recap of the songs left in the running to represent France in Lisbon. My favourite is "Mercy" by Madame Monsieur :inlove:

1 hour ago, Msig said:

Last year, when Russia withdrew from ESC 2017, both Russian broadcasters stated that Julia Samoylova would be representing the country in 2018, but this hasn't been officially confirmed.

Whenever the Russian entry is chosen internally, it isn't announced until a few days before the mid-March deadline.

Reason I asked is because I’m following Alekseev and he mentioned being on Eurovision. 

Julia Samoylova has now been confirmed as Russia's entrant in ESC 2018.

Her entry has been chosen but is yet to be revealed. Obviously, it will not be her proposed entry for ESC 2017.

It's official: Madame Monsieur will represent France in ESC 2018 with the song "Mercy" :inlove:

We have our 3rd entry for Lisbon: "Lie to Me" by Mikolas Josef, who will be representing his native Czech Republic

We finally got tickets for the semi finals!!!! Yeah, we are going to Eurovision!

SharedEurosonic: Portuguese music is 'very trendy now'

Paul Glynn 
Music News LIVE reporter

So we've already met some of this year's featured nation Denmark (scroll down for Off Bloom, on form). Last year’s focus fell on Portugal; who then went on to win the Eurovision song contest too. Singer Salvador Sobral was victorious at the Kiev event last summer and had planned to be in Groningen too this weekend to help pass on the Eurosonic baton to the Danes. Sadly, he can’t make it as he is still recovering from a successful heart transplant operation but he was happy to answer our questions about a crazy 12 months for himself and Portuguese music.

Hi Salvador. We hope you are well? First of all how is your recovery from your operation going?
Hello there! Fortunately I'm recovering well, I'm hoping to be able to perform by May. Fingers crossed!

What are your reflections on the Eurovision win? How was your life changed since then?
My life changed completely since then. I didn't sell many records before and I was okay with it, I knew the music I made wasn't going to sell a lot. But then Eurovision happened and people immediately welcomed me and my album. Then I recorded a live album and it is now the most sold album in Portugal. A jazz album that has a six-minute drum solo in it. For me that is the biggest achievement. For this year, I'm thinking about a new album, and of course I want to tour as much as I can.

We had hoped to meet you at Eurosonic. How great was it for Portuguese music to be named as the focus country for last year’s event? Has it been good exposure for bands/artists in Portugal?
I think Portugal is now very trendy. Winning the European Championship, Eurovision, the tourism increasing, the economy rising, even the fact that Madonna moved here. Portugal is the focus of Europe now so I feel it is only natural that such an event would also choose us as their focus country.

Was 2017 the best ever year for Portuguese music?
I don't feel I have the authority to say that it was the best year but I know Portuguese music is going through a good phase. People in Europe are finally starting to pay attention to what we do here. And we have wonderful music. Not just Fado. For example Antonio Zambujo who is an incredible mixture of many influences. Mayra Andrade, Luisa Sobral, Samuel Uria, Capitão Fausto.....

Are you going to be in Lisbon for this year’s Eurovision?
Yes hopefully I will be there and ready to perform! Thank you

image.gif

image.gif

Spain chose its entry (very late) last night.

This year, the Spanish national broadcaster opted to use Operación Triunfo (the Spanish version of Star Academy) as its national selection for Eurovision.

5 hours ago, Msig said:

Spain chose its entry (very late) last night.

This year, the Spanish national broadcaster opted to use Operación Triunfo (the Spanish version of Star Academy) as its national selection for Eurovision.

I am OBSESSED with that show :popcorn2:

Ireland will be represented by Ryan O'Shaughnessy and the song "Together".

The song will be released at a later date - but here's his performance from the final of Britain's Got Talent 2012:

Cyprus will be represented in ESC 2018 by Greek pop star Eleni Foureira. Her entry, "Fuego", will be released in a few weeks.

Her latest album included a cover of the Israeli entry in ESC 2015:

Malta chose its entry yesterday, "Taboo" by Christabelle

We have one more entry, from Switzerland. "Stones" by Zibbz.

On 01/02/2018 at 7:24 PM, Msig said:

Cyprus will be represented in ESC 2018 by Greek pop star Eleni Foureira. Her entry, "Fuego", will be released in a few weeks.

Her latest album included a cover of the Israeli entry in ESC 2015:

Do not watch this if you have epilepsy.  🚑

The UK decided to send SuRie to Eurovision this year, with the song "Storm". Not necessarily the best song in the line-up of the UK final, but certainly the best performance:

14 minutes ago, Msig said:

The UK decided to send SuRie to Eurovision this year, with the song "Storm". Not necessarily the best song in the line-up of the UK final, but certainly the best performance:

Very Eurovision and it reminds me of the Danish song a few years ago with the pipers? It's OK but it will need some major staging to really bring it to life. 

On 7/2/2018 at 10:21 PM, jonski43 said:

Very Eurovision and it reminds me of the Danish song a few years ago with the pipers? It's OK but it will need some major staging to really bring it to life. 

All things considered, I think this was the wisest choice the UK could make. Sometimes it's best to send a lesser, well-performed song than a better song that is poorly performed.

Still, I think "Storm" will struggle to make it out of the bottom 5 in the Eurovision final. The song isn't bad, but it's just soooo bland.

Is it just me, or does SuRie comes across as a poor man's version of Annie Lennox?

4 hours ago, Msig said:

All things considered, I think this was the wisest choice the UK could make. Sometimes it's best to send a lesser, well-performed song than a better song that is poorly performed.

Still, I think "Storm" will struggle to make it out of the bottom 5 in the Eurovision final. The song isn't bad, but it's just soooo bland.

Is it just me, or does SuRie comes across as a poor man's version of Annie Lennox?

Yes it was all over Twitter that she looked like like AL. 

And yes it was the clear winner but it does feel like Eurovision by numbers.

As usual, I was in the audience for the Danish national final, which took place yesterday. This means that we have found our Eurovision entry for Lisbon:

5 hours ago, Orion said:

This is our Eurovision entry :angel:

Wasn't it accused of plagiarising a previous Sanremo song by the same songwriters? :nocomment:

Btw, I love Ermal Meta's entry from last year's Sanremo festival, though I'm happy Francesco Gabbani won :)

8 hours ago, Msig said:

As usual, I was in the audience for the Danish national final, which took place yesterday. This means that we have found our Eurovision entry for Lisbon:

That means Sannie aka the woman who was the image of Whigfield (but didn't really sing the songs) is not going to represent Denmark and show the world she sounds nothing like those Whigfield records once and for all.

9 hours ago, Je5u5 said:

That means Sannie aka the woman who was the image of Whigfield (but didn't really sing the songs) is not going to represent Denmark and show the world she sounds nothing like those Whigfield records once and for all.

I'm quite sure it was Sannie singing on those Whigfield records. But I guess this is the first time I've actually heard her singing live. It sounded ok inside arena, not so much on tv.

On 7-2-2018 at 10:06 PM, Msig said:

:rotfl: SHIT.  Dead last once again. That Whoaoaoaoahhh towards the end :lol: it's basically twice reductive after Emmelie de Forrest and Loreen.

We are the definition of REDUCTIVE when it comes to Eurovision entries I'm afraid :lmao: