Suedy

Prince (RIP) - discussion and tribute thread [continued]

On 21/04/2018 at 7:55 PM, acko said:

@IsaacHarris so are we doing this next, that bathing suit tho... :lol:

On 21/04/2018 at 5:40 PM, MaddyFanatic said:

Nice RSD 1999 single LP 

IMG_1709.jpg

IMG_1710.jpg

I don't think this was available in the UK. I didn't see it listed. 

I didn´t see that vynil either.

anyways, nothing compares 2 U´s version is very good, better than his 1993´s version, and at least as good as his Nude tour´s version.I love the sax solo (is that a sax?), I love his voice...but I really think if this song has appeared in one of his album would have been the mega hit it was with sinead.I wish he would have worked with it a little bit more to include it in ATWIAD or, probably better, in parade or sign of the times

On 24-4-2018 at 10:56 PM, jonski43 said:

I wanted Tony so bad when i was like 13 :rotfl:

the vynil was available also in spain.apparently the usa had a strange little red corvette´s new edition

A 1999 12", with the NPG logo on it is just all shades of WRONG.

1 hour ago, acko said:

A 1999 12", with the NPG logo on it is just all shades of WRONG.

It's not a 12". It's the album in the original album cover on double vinyl. I think it said Warners Europe weren't happy with it so edited the tracklist to one disc and changed the cover. So they've this version for record store Day which is good.

36 minutes ago, jonski43 said:

It's not a 12". It's the album in the original album cover on double vinyl. I think it said Warners Europe weren't happy with it so edited the tracklist to one disc and changed the cover. So they've this version for record store Day which is good.

MESS.

1 hour ago, acko said:

MESS.

Agreed

On 4/24/2018 at 9:56 PM, jonski43 said:

It was available, I only heard about this release on the day while queuing, I managed to get it in Manchester.

I´ve just arrived from Amsterdam, I´ve been to the exhibition.A beautiful one, I must say, I´m quite sad now after being there. But...well, I´ll start from the merchandising.There are a lot of prince´s albums that are really hard to find.Instead of selling the same old albums that everybody that go there already has, why don´t also sell the rare ones?  chocolate invasion or that one, the news, one night, cristall ball...there are a few of them that I´m sure can have a lot of buyers from the people that is in the exhibition.

and about the exibition it self, is it worth it???? YES! lot´s of clothes , although I must say that I missed more guitars. There are a few of them, but there wasn´t a simbol shaped one. The only ones that were really iconic for me were the mad cat and the orange cloud. of course the rest o them were quite important too, but not for my history with him. Then, would it be so difficult to add a pricture of prince wearing these clothes?

anyways, if you can go, go. In fact, if it continues in europe, I will try to go again...

I must say, he was so tiny!!!!! like a pre teen, but with a already man shaped body...and some of his clothes looked old when you have them in front of you. of course, they are old! they have been used, and you can see that even in more recent things, like his diamonds -cristal cane

1 hour ago, promise to try said:

I must say, he was so tiny!!!!! like a pre teen, but with a already man shaped body...and some of his clothes looked old when you have them in front of you. of course, they are old! they have been used, and you can see that even in more recent things, like his diamonds -cristal cane

The amount of outfits was amazing as well as other memorabilia like the sexy mf chain cap and scripts. So much to see.

But yes, when you see the outfits, they look like they're from the Thunderbirds!

I just went to the ABBA exhibition in London which cost about the same but had far less to see.

On 4/21/2018 at 2:55 PM, acko said:

@IsaacHarris so are we doing this next, that bathing suit tho... :lol:

Can we raid the Paisley Park archives for these outfits??? Invite Rosie too!

That era of Prince's career is DEFINITELY one of my favorites. I mean:

does anybody know if this exhibition is exactly the same that was in london?

2 hours ago, promise to try said:

does anybody know if this exhibition is exactly the same that was in london?

I'm pretty sure it is. Was it about only the first few albums? I thought it was odd that it stopped in the early nineties.

On 5/3/2018 at 10:35 AM, jonski43 said:

I'm pretty sure it is. Was it about only the first few albums? I thought it was odd that it stopped in the early nineties.

there where more clother about his first decades, but there were also guitars, images, clothes, glasses from his thir eye girl period, his superbowl...

17 minutes ago, promise to try said:

there where more clother about his first decades, but there were also guitars, images, clothes, glasses from his thir eye girl period, his superbowl...

Yes, the memorabilia spanned his whole career but the music and audio guide covered up to the early nineties.

3 hours ago, jonski43 said:

Yes, the memorabilia spanned his whole career but the music and audio guide covered up to the early nineties.

same with the cds in the store, they have the laste greatest hits, the new purple rain, but nothing from his difficult to follow years.anyways, it´s normal,his 80´s-ealry 90´s were his most popular years

On 5/3/2018 at 3:31 AM, IsaacHarris said:

Can we raid the Paisley Park archives for these outfits??? Invite Rosie too!

That era of Prince's career is DEFINITELY one of my favorites. I mean:

So damn Pretty I'm still devastated.

b6b4606bbfaf6a4488d2b42d0813770c

W-31-01-720x376.jpg

I"m actually obsessed w/ everything from the symbol era.

that´s the only time I saw him live...that album, without the raps and the talked interludes, is one of his bests.I wissh there was a version without the raps, really  want that!

I´m rediscovering two albums that I barely listen back in the day, both from 1999: Old friends for sale and Raveun2 the joy fantastic. The first one is a third prince and the new power generation album, from songs mostly recorded during 1991-1992, that hvae a wonderful jazzy vibe, but they sound pure prince and the NPG to me!! probably that´s what the music he wanted to do back in that years, but it wasn´t comercial enough...and then there are two songs, one wonderful, from the parade sessions, old friends or sale, with new lyrics , but with claire fisher´s orchestra, that it´s one of his best songs, very james bondesque! it seems it was one of the songs that was in parade before kiss was added...it sounds like a classic. and another song is from 1996, rpobably the worst, I don´t remember the name. So some songs are not new, or were sang by others (Joe cocker) but it´s a very cohesive album, full of quality songs. If it was released after the symbol album,with a proper marketing, it would have been successful enough at least as successful as his second record with the NPG)

and about rave un2, is not as good as the one that I have mentioned before, but it have some interesting songs, like wherver u go, whatever u do...

I find the new-old Nothing compares 2 U similar (intsrumentantion...) to The ladder

On 5/7/2018 at 10:10 PM, promise to try said:

I´m rediscovering two albums that I barely listen back in the day, both from 1999: Old friends for sale and Raveun2 the joy fantastic. The first one is a third prince and the new power generation album, from songs mostly recorded during 1991-1992, that hvae a wonderful jazzy vibe, but they sound pure prince and the NPG to me!! probably that´s what the music he wanted to do back in that years, but it wasn´t comercial enough...and then there are two songs, one wonderful, from the parade sessions, old friends or sale, with new lyrics , but with claire fisher´s orchestra, that it´s one of his best songs, very james bondesque! it seems it was one of the songs that was in parade before kiss was added...it sounds like a classic. and another song is from 1996, rpobably the worst, I don´t remember the name. So some songs are not new, or were sang by others (Joe cocker) but it´s a very cohesive album, full of quality songs. If it was released after the symbol album,with a proper marketing, it would have been successful enough at least as successful as his second record with the NPG)

and about rave un2, is not as good as the one that I have mentioned before, but it have some interesting songs, like wherver u go, whatever u do...

Rave is one of the worst things he's EVER done.
It's very a Madonna @ Interscope MDNA-esque MESS. Almost every song is a TUTR (or Turd, that's basically the same thing), so fake & commercial
with calculated and lacklustre duets/collabs. He basically went 2 Arista and made his version of that overrated Santana album, Supernatural.
I DETEST it. Stuff like Baby Knows & Hot With You :rotfl:

Old Friends, was great though, Warner did a good job with that. When The lights Go Down :wow: