Illinois Woman Sues Starbucks For 5m Over Too Much Ice

Woman Files $5 Million Lawsuit Against Starbucks For Putting Too Much Ice In Her Drinks

Stacy Pincus accuses the coffee chain of fraud, negligent misrepresentation and unjust enrichment.

05/01/2016 11:49 am ET | Updated 2 hours ago

An Illinois woman is reportedly suing Starbucks for $5 million over the amount of ice it puts in customers drinks.

Stacy Pincus accuses the coffee chain of packing almost half of their cold beverages with ice as a means to skimp on serving actual coffee to customers, according to the suit obtained by Courthouse News.

When it comes to ordering a 24-ounce Venti coffee, for example, Pincus claims a customer only receives 14 ounces of actual coffee, and ice takes up the remaining 10. The miffed customer further notes that hot Starbucks beverages typically cost less than cold ones, even though they contain more coffee because of the lack of ice.

Among the accusations hurled at the coffee conglomerate are fraud, negligent misrepresentation and unjust enrichment.

Pincus expresses her intent to represent everyone who ever purchased a cold drink from the coffee chain over the last 10 years.

A Starbucks spokesperson believes the suit is without merit, however.

Our customers understand and expect that ice is an essential component of any iced beverage, the spokesperson told The Huffington Post in an email, adding that the company would remake any beverage if a customer is unsatisfied.

This story has been updated to include a statement from Starbucks.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/starbucks-sued-over-ice_us_5725fdeee4b0b49df6ab8f75

Guest Rachelle of London

I love America!!!!

The woman that sued McDonalds over the hot coffee won didn't she? I hope ice woman wins :lmao:

I love America!!!!

The woman that sued McDonalds over the hot coffee won didn't she? I hope ice woman wins :lmao:

Ok but that old lady had every right to sue McDonalds! The coffee was absolutely way too hot and she got 3rd degree burns from it! This woman is being a cry baby about some ice!

Ok but that old lady had every right to sue McDonalds! The coffee was absolutely way too hot and she got 3rd degree burns from it! This woman is being a cry baby about some ice!

Yes, hot coffee lady's injuries were pretty horrific. Her legs were burned straight through, left the bone exposed.

I love America!!!!

Yes. She won $20,000. Not near enough money to cover her medical expenses for the third degree burns she received on her crotch. McDonalds originally offered her $800.

I love how that story has been fabricated over the last two decades.

Guest Rachelle of London

I didn't know mcdonalds lady was hurt that bad. I only heard that she sued McDonalds over the coffee being hot that's why they put "contains hot liquid" on the cups

I literally just had a conversation about the McDonald's Coffee woman @ work. There's even a documentary about her!

As for this Starbucks lawsuit... girl bye. You should't be drinking iced caffeinated beverages anyway.

I love America!!!!

I recall hearing a story years ago about a man that was trying to break into someone's home and he fell through the skylight on their roof and sued them and won.

I literally just had a conversation about the McDonald's Coffee woman @ work. There's even a documentary about her!

As for this Starbucks lawsuit... girl bye. You should't be drinking iced caffeinated beverages anyway.

Yes, it's called "Hot Coffee". McDonalds hired a team of lawyers to make sure the full story didn't reach the papers and to discredit Stella Liebeck. ...and it worked.

No one seems to know the full and correct story.

Take it back and ask politely for less ice. fuck her!

Then again if i got something that was filled to the brim with ice and barely any coffee id be a little pressed but like i said just take it back. sheesh

Guest Rachelle of London

I recall hearing a story years ago about a man that was trying to break into someone's home and he fell through the skylight on their roof and sued them and won.

Noooooo way! :rotfl:

EDIT: oooooh, i was one of those people who used to laugh at the case, until i read the link that Webogirl posted!

• 3 weeks later...

I love America!!!!

I just watched a documentary about the coffee woman and how the world was incredibly unfair with her. They used to serve coffee boiling hot (hot enough to cause 3rd degree burns) despite having had a long history of causing people really bad burns, they served the coffee in a cup without any holder, and the lid was a joke that fell right off.

Her burns were HORRIBLE and the only reason why her lawyer talked her into suing was because they refused to pay her hospital bills and they didn't give a shit. They paid the media millions of dollars to make HER look like a monster, but they refused to pay her 20,000 hospital bills :rolleyes:

hotcoffeejpeg-2534403_p9.jpg

Guest Rachelle of London

Omg!

Guys I had no clue. All I ever heard about this woman is that she sued and then that's why we have it printed on cups "caution may contain hot liquid"

The McDonalds 'coffee woman' def. had more of a legit and WAY less bogus, laughable case than the greedy grating Starbucks ice idiot. Dunno about recently but back in the day clearly remember how scolding hot their coffee was and the super cheap flimsy 'cups' they threw at you like it was a bag of fries. I def. had more than a few close calls. More than a few x they'd put too much coffee in and even w/ that almost useless 'lid', would still overflow and get on my fingers.

But how on Earth can coffee reach that heat????? Not even direct from our regular coffee machine

Machines are calibrated to reach a relatively safe temperature. You could spill an entire cup of coffee on yourself and you'd probably be irritated and tender for a day.

McDonald's machines used to give you boiling water in a cup. And the machine was right next to the window, so they'd pour it into the cup and serve it to you seconds later.

And the only reason why she won the case was because they had a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG history of similar cases. The lawyer that worked on the case had a huge list of cases. It wasn't a freak accident. They just never wanted to do anything about it (fix their machines or buy new ones for all of their chains).

Now, the only reason why I'm bringing this up is because I feel really bad for the old woman, she went into a deep depression after becoming the world's joke and basically died lonely and very sad. :(

The McDonalds 'coffee woman' def. had more of a legit and WAY less bogus, laughable case than the greedy grating Starbucks ice idiot.

Oh most definitely

It's just a shame that there's always people out there that always come up with this crazy plans to sue dining franchises, when there's real cases out there that arnt always served justice.

Reminds me of this one lady from about 10 yrs ago that claimed she found a human finger in her Wendy's chili. Here she actually put it in there, and was doing this scheme at multiple Wendy's. The finger was actually her husbands!!