Snapchat’s Bob Marley Filter Prompts ‘Blackface’ Backlash

Camacho

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/snapchats-bob-marley-filter-prompts-blackface-backlash-w203499

Snapchats Bob Marley Filter Prompts Blackface Backlash

April 20, 2016 @ 4:55 PM

By Evan Real

kylie-jenner-bob-marley-snapchat-zoom-10

Courtesy of Kylie Jenner/Snapchat

To celebrate America's unofficial marijuana holiday, 4/20, Snapchat released a filter on Wednesday, April 20, that allows users to digitally alter their faces to look like the late, weed-smoking reggae legend Bob Marley.

The lens, which gives a Snapchatter Marley's signature crocheted cap, dreadlocks and dark skin, has infuriated many social media users, who lashed out at the app, calling the latest update a form of blackface.

"@Snapchat I am very offended about the Bob Marley filter for 4/20. IT IS BLACK FACE!," one tweeter complained, while another fumed: ".@Snapchat delete the Bob Marley filter NOW. It is blackface, it's racist, and it's disrespectful to reduce such an important artist to this."

Rather than remove the filter, Snapchat issued a statement in response to the backlash, defending the company's decision to create it.

"The lens we launched today was created in partnership with the Bob Marley Estate, and gives people a new way to share their appreciation for Bob Marley and his music, the company wrote of the singer, who died of cancer in May 1981. Millions of Snapchatters have enjoyed Bob Marley's music, and we respect his life and achievements."

Kylie Jenner, who currently reigns as the most-viewed person on Snapchat, was one of many users who tried on Marley's mug. The "Keeping Up With the Kardashians" star shared a video of herself as the Jamaican-born icon, saying, "Yaaas, bitch, yaaas."

Tell Us: What do you think about Snapchat's new 4/20-inspired Bob Marley filter?

If it's created "in partnership" with the Bob Marley Estate...doesn't some of the responsibility fall with them?

Who's running his estate? They need to be read for filth.

Mr. Marley would surely gag if he saw his likeness on t-shirts & beach towels... but this is a bit too much. The app does nothing to honor his music, his legacy, or his personal beliefs; it reduces Rastafarianism (and Bob himself) into a 1-dimensional mask to celebrate a 'holiday' that has NOTHING to do him. 4/20 & cannabis culture are not synonymous with all things Jamaican.

I can't wait to see what Snapchat does for Cinco De Mayo.

Guest Rachelle of London

The son that used to beat up Lauryn Hill runs the estate. Buff said. Bob would be APPALLED. You notice they waited for Bobs mum "Cedella" to pass away before they started doing all this crazy shit.

Guest Rachelle of London

Who's running his estate? They need to be read for filth.

Mr. Marley would surely gag if he saw his likeness on t-shirts & beach towels... but this is a bit too much. The app does nothing to honor his music, his legacy, or his personal beliefs; it reduces Rastafarianism (and Bob himself) into a 1-dimensional mask to celebrate a 'holiday' that has NOTHING to do him. 4/20 & cannabis culture are not synonymous with all things Jamaican.

I can't wait to see what Snapchat does for Cinco De Mayo.

Thank you. Amen

Is it for cannabis? I didn't know that. He was pro weed of course, but his music was more than just getting high. I figured it was just a famous face morph app, faceswapping is huge lately. I don't think having Bob or others as famous face morphs is bad. Famous face morphs is pretty fun I'd imagine.

The son that used to beat up Lauryn Hill runs the estate. Buff said. Bob would be APPALLED. You notice they waited for Bobs mum "Cedella" to pass away before they started doing all this crazy shit.

Oooohhh. Interesting...

Guest Rachelle of London

Is it for cannabis? I didn't know that. He was pro weed of course, but his music was more than just getting high. I figured it was just a famous face morph app, faceswapping is huge lately. I don't think having Bob or others as famous face morphs is bad. Famous face morphs is pretty fun I'd imagine.

Yesterday was 4/20. It was for weed purpose.

This would've been fun on Bob Marley Day which is 6 Feb or his 70th birthday last year.