MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
blossom

Roxette - Good Karma (album) & It Just Happens (single)

Roxette return with new studio album 'Good Karma' on June 3rd and lead single - the quite wonderful 'It Just Happens' is released this Friday 8th April. Marie has described it as their best album so far. Is mostly uptempo and includes several producers who Roxette have not worked with before. Am looking forward to some new Roxette.

YASSSSS!! Love me some roxette, can't wait to hear this!

Roxette is awesome! Joyride is one of my favorite albums ever.

Love Roxette (one of my favorite groups along with Ace Of Base)

recently bought 30 Biggest Hits & Roxbox

My favorite albums of theirs are

Joyride, Look Sharp, Room Service, Have A Nice Day

& Crash, Boom, Bang!

Roxette is one of my favorite artists. "Have a Nice Day" is still my favorite Roxette album, and "Wish I Could Fly" is probably my favorite Roxette song. I'm really looking forward to their new album.

The new single is lovely!

Can't wait. One of my fave bands.

I love Roxette. New single is kind of uneventful, but I'm looking forward to their album!

New single is pretty meh.

Speak To Me (Bassflow Remake) was exquisite. Remember that from 2011?

Great track, and I love "The Sweet Hello, The Sad Goodbye [bassflow Remake]" as well. I think that their last few albums suffered from odd single choices and missed opportunities. I still think that "In My Own Way" from "Charm School" is classic Roxette and should have been the second single from the album. Although I love "Travelling", "It's Possible" was a poor single choice from the album, in my opinion, and resulted in poor sales for the album. "Lover Lover Lover" is the best song from the album, in my opinion, and should have been promoted as the first single. Also, I think that "The Sweet Hello, The Sad Goodbye [bassflow Remake]" should have been included on the album (perhaps it was remixed after the release of the album?)

just glad Marie is still with us....for a while there it didn't

look like she was gonna make it....or at least never return

to singing....but she's still got the voice!

A statement today from Marie & Per. A sad turn of events to be fair...

Roxette were supposed to start the last leg of their massive RoXXXette 30th Anniversary Tour on June 3rd. However, singer Marie Fredriksson has been advised by her doctors to refrain from touring and as a consequence all the summer shows are cancelled. Their last performance was to be at the Grand Arena in Cape Town, South Africa on February 8 earlier this year.

Marie Fredriksson: ”It’s been an amazing 30 years! I feel nothing but joy and happiness when I look back on the Roxette world tours. All our shows and memories over the years will forever be a big part of my life. I’m particularly proud and grateful for coming back in 2009 after my severe illness and to have been able to take Roxette around the globe a couple of more times. Sadly, now my touring days are over and I want to take this opportunity to thank our wonderful fans that has followed us on our long and winding journey.
I look forward to the release of our album ”Good Karma” in June – for me it’s our best album ever!”

Per Gessle: Who would have thought this small town band from the Swedish west coast were to be still on the loose after 30 years! We’ve done mind-blowing gigs all over the world that has taken us far beyond our wildest and craziest dreams. I want to thank all our fellow musicians and collaborators on and off the road. Thanks also to our beautiful fans, all of you who have listened, encouraged, waited, travelled, all of you who have shared the singing, laughter, joy and tears. Most of you have been just as much part of Roxette as we have! Without you, nothing (and I mean nothing!) would have been possible. Most of all I want to thank the mighty Marie, the Amazon of the holy voice, the Goddess of superb rock performance, the liberated and magnificent interpreter of my humble words and music, for this magic carpet ride which took us to the top of all the mountains. My God, what a great view we’ve had! The joyride on the road is over now – but we sure had fun, didn’t we?

Marie Fredriksson and Per Gessle formed Roxette in 1986 and their debut single was ”Neverending Love”. In April 1989 they became an overnight sensation with ”The Look” and their huge international break was a fact. Since then they have toured the world again and again. Fans from all different corners of Planet Earth have been equally enthusiastic, faithful and devoted; from Birmingham to Buenos Aires, from Vancouver to Vladivostok, from Sydney to Stuttgart. Roxette performed a grand 557 shows in front of millions and millions of cheering people. 75 million albums sold, 51 singles released, four US Billboard number ones and countless top hits on worldwide charts make Roxette one of the most successful bands in the history of pop and rock.

Roxette’s latest single ”It Just Happens” was released on April 8 this year and their 10th studio album ”Good Karma” will be released on June 3.

Very easily their best album since Joyride in 1991. The production and melodies are really fantastic and in parts genuinely thrilling. For Roxette to come up with an album this good and this current over 30 years into their career is quite amazing really. Top drawer quality pop.

Highlights are the stunning Enya-on-speed balladry on 'You Don't Bring Me Flowers' which frankly ends too soon as the orchestra and harmonies swell to a crescendo as the track fades - a longer version of this needs to be released. 'Good Karma' has attention to detail in the production (notably the verses) that is mesmerizing and a sudden shift in gear to early 80's power pop thrust of the chorus. 'This One' is the kinda throbbing, pulsating electro-pop glam-stomp that's got a foot firmly in 1980 and a generous nod to Rachel Stevens last album. The epic opening for 'You Make It Sound So Simple' is slightly let down when they don't play to their strength and all the drama of Marie's vocal delivery is missing in place of Per's, though it's still a great song and Per's vocal does work well on 'Some Other Summer' - an Ibiza style banger with a gently somber tone. The choppy, spiky, driven '20bpm' is another power pop number with all and the kitchen sink thrown in for good measure where Per's vocal works surprisingly well. It all draws to a close with beautifully delicate 'April Clouds'; Marie's vocal is on point showing in equal measure fragility and tenacity as the music swirls and builds from piano to a carefully constructed and cleverly restrained backing before a poignant "I wish you the best" brings it all to an end.

If this was to be Roxette's last album (and it hopefully is not), then they are most definitely going out on a high.

Ugh can't wait for this!

Ooh you've heard the whole thing??

I've just heard the whole album, and wholeheartedly agree

with Blossom....this is right up there among their best!

I can't believe how much I love this one.....

just when I think a particular song is my favorite, another one

takes over....

their voices are so on point...haven't lost a thing after all these years!

I only heard the full thing once, so this is my first impression:

It's good, but not great. I connected to Charm School and Travelling immediately, maybe this one takes more time. ;)

I was so NOT impressed with this album! Better be their last, Roxette is over!

I was so NOT impressed with this album! Better be their last, Roxette is over!

How nasty, mean and petty!

but what happened to her?

As far as I know she had brain tumor, after the surgery she had to "learn" some things over, like counting and reading.

As far as I know she had brain tumor, after the surgery she had to "learn" some things over, like counting and reading.

I meant about the tour, I hope she is ok