MadonnaNation.com Forums
cindycgy

Random Madonna Discussions Thread

On 9/12/2017 at 8:58 AM, Crystal Coffin said:

I'm gonna have to take a closer look at the "Swim" lyrics afterward! :yes: 

Wash All Over Me has very similar themes - except it's more personal, and almost like a soul baptism of sorts.

14 hours ago, Pedro said:

:thumbsup:

Easy Ride is my #3 song ever it makes me reflect on my own existence and the possibility of reincarnation, I think the lyrics "I go round and round just like a circle I can see a clearer picture When I touch the ground I come full circle To my place and I am home I am home" are an absolute reference to reincarnation and the reincarnation wheel... 

I agree that Messiah totally refers to what you are saying about the male and female energy in the sun and the moon and its symbolic relationship. 

Also, Isaac is symbolic of Jesus resisting Satan's temptation, as well as, the symbolic journey where the soul falls down into the depths of darkness and hell, only to resurrect itself.

The MDNA Tour is a spiritual journey of sorts - The Transgression act is kinda representative of the fallen angel (hence it begins with The Act of Contrition/GGW, and then ends with the smashing of the crucifix in IDGA ... The Erotic Candy Shop act represents the soul revelling in indulgent dark pleasures, only to be broken when the veil of illusion is lifted and what was once a source of "earthly delights" is now the greatest source of pain ... This leads us to the soul fighting to get free (I'm addicted's Martial Arts moves - ancient theories suggest martial arts and hatha/ashtanga yoga is the first step to spiritual healing as the soul needs a powerful body to house it). The path to Nirvana/Moksha/release is best captured in I'm a Sinner, where M takes a train journey through ancient pilgrimage sites in India (the backdrop shows this beautifully), followed by her singing Cyberraga - which is the closing mantra which is recited by Ashtanga Yogis to symbolise the end of their practice and taking a vow to follow the 8 limbs (literal translation of "Ashtanga") of the path of divine bless and divine love. Thus culminating in Like a Prayer :)

Clearly, I LOVE SpiritualDonna... lol

3 minutes ago, zizibello said:

Wash All Over Me has very similar themes - except it's more personal, and almost like a soul baptism of sorts.

Somehow I'd love to hear an all-male indie/alternative rock band covers "Swim". It would make a cool cover!

5 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

Somehow I'd love to hear an all-male indie/alternative rock band covers "Swim". It would make a cool cover!

Really? I don't know. I rarely like men covering M. Male voices rarely do justice to her music.

Then again, most female singers don't do justice to M.

6 minutes ago, zizibello said:

The MDNA Tour is a spiritual journey of sorts - The Transgression act is kinda representative of the fallen angel (hence it begins with The Act of Contrition/GGW, and then ends with the smashing of the crucifix in IDGA ... The Erotic Candy Shop act represents the soul revelling in indulgent dark pleasures, only to be broken when the veil of illusion is lifted and what was once a source of "earthly delights" is now the greatest source of pain ... This leads us to the soul fighting to get free (I'm addicted's Martial Arts moves - ancient theories suggest martial arts and hatha/ashtanga yoga is the first step to spiritual healing as the soul needs a powerful body to house it). The path to Nirvana/Moksha/release is best captured in I'm a Sinner, where M takes a train journey through ancient pilgrimage sites in India (the backdrop shows this beautifully), followed by her singing Cyberraga - which is the closing mantra which is recited by Ashtanga Yogis to symbolise the end of their practice and taking a vow to follow the 8 limbs (literal translation of "Ashtanga") of the path of divine bless and divine love. Thus culminating in Like a Prayer :)

How would you interpret the LAV/LS medley? She looked like a "tormented soul" during it...after the glittery of "Vogue", the promiscuity of "Erotic Candy Shop", the tough "Human Nature", she kinda "retreated", surrendered herself to her previously hidden vulnerability and she realized that she didn't own it all...it's a bleak ending basically but BEAUTIFULLY done. 

5 minutes ago, zizibello said:

Really? I don't know. I rarely like men covering M. Male voices rarely do justice to her music.

Then again, most female singers don't do justice to M.

Male singers have done better job at covering her songs and female voices can't touch her songs at all. The best one is "Borderline" by The Flaming Lips. 

3 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

How would you interpret the LAV/LS medley? She looked like a "tormented soul" during it...after the glittery of "Vogue", the promiscuity of "Erotic Candy Shop", the tough "Human Nature", she kinda "retreated", surrendered herself to her previously hidden vulnerability and she realized that she didn't own it all...it's a bleak ending basically but BEAUTIFULLY done. 

I have two interpretations - a literary/archetypal one and a spiritual one.

1. Literary/Archetypal

The whole Erotic Candy Shop section from Vogue to Love Spent can be seen as the "Dying Prostitute" archetype. The best example would be Camille - which in the world of Opera inspired one of Giuseppe Verdi's greatest works  - La Traviata - which is also the inspiration for Moulin Rouge (along with Puccini's La Boheme).

It's the classic tale about a "lady of fallen morals" who lives life 'unapologetically' (if I may) only to fall in love and sacrifice it / lose it when the lover turns out to be a caustic abuser. 

When I first saw fan vids of LAV and eventually Love Spent, I was reminded of the Aria - Addio Del Passato  (Farewell to the *glorious* past) - from La Traviata - where Violetta sings lamenting about her life and where it's led her, while she's on her deathbed with an incurable case of TB

Here's a recording of Maria Callas singing the aria. Like M, Maria Callas was oft criticized for not having the traditional "beautiful voice". And just like M - Maria Callas could pierce the hearts of her listeners by milking every bit of emotional honesty within the music she sang. 

The dying prostitute is also common in old Indian movies where courtesans during the time of the Nawabs (Mughal princes) would sing gorgeous songs with beautifully poetic lyrics - often dedicated to a lover of nobel descent that made false promises only to betray them at the end.

The best example of this is Umrao Jaan starring the grand diva of Bollywood - Rekha (a gay icon of sorts in India). In this clip, the legendary poet-courtesan Umrao Jaan sings "there are many admirers of the spark of passion within my eyes, but my eyes gaze upon with love only at a special one who doesn't return my feelings).

2. The Spiritual Interpretation

It's a play of the whole fallen soul realising how far it's strayed from the path of light. What was once a source of pleasure is actually an illusion that leads to pain. They say in many esoteric and spiritual texts that Pain is still a powerful means to heal. As long as the soul feels pain, there is a chance to heal. Pain felt by the soul is a sign that the soul knows the power of love and it's pained by the fact that Love is deeply missing. Thus that pain can act as a catalyst to drive the soul grow and evolve. 

The danger is when the pain leads to numbness and emptiness. The opposite of love isn't hate - it's indifference. When a soul becomes indifferent - it loses it's divine spark - and thus the will to live is gone.

LAV/LS represents the urge of the soul to learn to love - not another- but itself.

Again, this is just my interpretation of it all. I could be totally off.

1 minute ago, Crystal Coffin said:

Male singers have done better job at covering her songs and female voices can't touch her songs at all. The best one is "Borderline" by The Flaming Lips. 

The Flaming Lips Cover is the rare exception. 

Although, I have this feeling that Lana Del Rey could do incredible versions of some of M's ballads - Live to Tell, Frozen, Power of Goodbye... She could even do an amazing Skin. 

Again, just a feeling - doubt Lana would ever do it.

@zizibello I knew you would be the RIGHT PERSON to discuss these things :wow::wow: 

:rotfl: The majorette section is basically Madonna telling the world that YOU CAN EXPRESS YOURSELF BUT EVENTUALLY YOU CAN'T BE ME. "She's Not Me" after "Born This Way", followed by GMAYL where she declared "cuz 'imma different kind of girl". IF ONLY she inserted some lines of "Some Girls" there to end it the whole thing would have been perfect!

REKHA is a real Bollywood EMPRESS. She didn't marry did she? Because Amitabh Bachchan the love of her life married Jaya Bhaduri...

3 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

@zizibello I knew you would be the RIGHT PERSON to discuss these things :wow::wow: 

:rotfl: The majorette section is basically Madonna telling the world that YOU CAN EXPRESS YOURSELF BUT EVENTUALLY YOU CAN'T BE ME. "She's Not Me" after "Born This Way", followed by GMAYL where she declared "cuz 'imma different kind of girl". IF ONLY she inserted some lines of "Some Girls" there to end it the whole thing would have been perfect!

Awwww, that's sweet of you to say @Crystal Coffin ... Thank you!

Regarding Majorette section - that entire section is pure delicious SHADE against the reductive one.

If you read the lyrics to GMAYL - it's an open challenge of sorts. Something Taylor Swift wishes she could do, but doesn't have the balls to do so.

REKHA is a real Bollywood EMPRESS. She didn't marry did she? Because Amitabh Bachchan the love of her life married Jaya Bhaduri...

She had a very brief marriage, but the guy turned out to be an abusive asshole.

Rumor has it she discovered her bisexual side later in life. Nowadays, she's allegedly full on Lez. Of course, none of this is 'confirmed' - but where there's smoke...

I love her, but my favourite Diva of Bollywood is def Madhuri Dixit

5 minutes ago, zizibello said:

Awwww, that's sweet of you to say @Crystal Coffin ... Thank you!

Regarding Majorette section - that entire section is pure delicious SHADE against the reductive one.

If you read the lyrics to GMAYL - it's an open challenge of sorts. Something Taylor Swift wishes she could do, but doesn't have the balls to do so.

Many people hate GMAYL but it gave: 

1) An excellent music video 

2) A spectacular tour performance

3) ORGASMIC REMIXES, particularly that JUST BLAZE BIONIC DUB 

:wow: 

Many people hate GMAYL but it gave: 

1) An excellent music video 

2) A spectacular tour performance

3) ORGASMIC REMIXES, particularly that JUST BLAZE BIONIC DUB 

:wow: 

I was underwhelmed when I heard it... however, the live performance during the tour was LIFE!!!

Everything about it is perfection!!!

You guys are giving me life with all this analysis of M's tour work.  Keep going please.

ps.  We need a whole thread dedicated to all the various interpretations of each act in all of M's tours. SO fascinating.

Just now, zizibello said:

I was underwhelmed when I heard it... however, the live performance during the tour was LIFE!!!

Everything about it is perfection!!!

This is an 11/10 moment:

I will always love Manisha Koirala in Dil Se. SHE SLAYED :wow: 

3 minutes ago, VogueMusic said:

You guys are giving me life with all this analysis of M's tour work.  Keep going please.

ps.  We need a whole thread dedicated to all the various interpretations of each act in all of M's tours. SO fascinating.

Awwww .... Thank You!

I love analysing art - especially when it comes to M.

I once gave a guest lecture at a University about interpreting spirituality in art and pop culture - a huge chunk of it was dedicated to M (because - duh...lol). 

I'd love to start a thread, but I wouldn't know where to begin.

2 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

This is an 11/10 moment:

I will always love Manisha Koirala in Dil Se. SHE SLAYED :wow: 

This remix is amazing - but so much better when Live ... it was pure Fierceness!

Manisha Koirala was alright. Dil Se was just way too pretentious. However, the music and cinematography was epic!

Wasn't sure where to post this...

Legendary gossip board 'Popbitch' is closing so they were revealing a few secrets including Madonna used to post there under the username 'mlvc'!

I wonder if there's anyway we can scan the archives and see what she might have said! 

Lady Fadga about Madonna: she wouldn't look me in the eye and tell me I'm reductive.

Can someone create this thread because I'm newbie and I can't 

1 minute ago, MadonnaOutsold said:

Lady Fadga about Madonna: she wouldn't look me in the eye and tell me I'm reductive.

Can someone create this thread because I'm newbie and I can't 

Is that why I can't create a thread? But I've been a member for years ?

Do you have to be selected to be able to create your own thread?

7 minutes ago, Confessit said:

Is that why I can't create a thread? But I've been a member for years ?

Do you have to be selected to be able to create your own thread?

I don't know man but it sucks, I'd love to comment about the princess of pop aka Britney Spears but I can only read :(

Plus I have this thread called "Are little monsters the most delusional, hypocritical, pretentious stanbase ever?" with proof and well elaborated, Sadly I think it won't be posted here anytime soon... 

Edited by MadonnaOutsold

2 hours ago, zizibello said:

Also, Isaac is symbolic of Jesus resisting Satan's temptation, as well as, the symbolic journey where the soul falls down into the depths of darkness and hell, only to resurrect itself.

Clearly, I LOVE SpiritualDonna... lol

I too live for SpiritualDonna and have embarked in many years of studies from her spiritual open and no so open clues. 

I thought that Isaac was written about Isaac Luria, but It could be very well open to more interpretations as the one you mentioned. 

A MAN OF MYSTERY AND LEGEND The Ari was born in Jerusalem in 1534. At the age of eight, he lost his father, and his family was left destitute. Driven by despair, his mother decided to send young Isaac to live with his uncle in Egypt, where he spent most of his life. As a young boy, the Ari would confine himself to his room for hours or even days at a time. He would immerse himself in  The Book of Zohar, trying to understand its subtleties. Many folk stories claim that the Ari was awarded “the revelation of Elijah” (a unique spiritual revelation), and that he learned  The Zohar “from him.” To the Ari,  The Book of Zohar was the whole world. As the capital of Kabbalist studies in the 16th century, Safed attracted many practitioners from near and far. Additionally, Safed is located not far from Mt. Meron, the burial place of Rabbi Shimon Bar-Yochai, and in close vicinity to Rashbi’s cave, the Idra Raba. In the year 1570, a harsh winter struck Egypt. Torrential rains created massive flash floods, gale force winds tore rooftops off homes, and the Nile spilled over its banks, inundating whole villages under a deluge of mud and water. One legend has it that Prophet Elijah visited the Ari on one of the stormiest nights of that dreadful winter and told him, “Your end is near. Leave here; take your family and go to the town of Safed, where you are eagerly awaited. There, in Safed, you will find your disciple, Chaim Vital. You will convey your wisdom to him, anoint him after you, and he will take your place.” Thus, in the dead of winter, the Ari went to Safed, in the land of Israel. He was thirty-six at the time, and he had two years left to live.

I agree with you that WAOM has a clear reference to the spiritual cleansing/birth of water, be baptism, the Jewish mikve, the holy rivers like the Ganges, or holy waters in general. 

I wonder how many shits M takes every day...

7 hours ago, zizibello said:

Awwww .... Thank You!

I love analysing art - especially when it comes to M.

I once gave a guest lecture at a University about interpreting spirituality in art and pop culture - a huge chunk of it was dedicated to M (because - duh...lol). 

I'd love to start a thread, but I wouldn't know where to begin.

@zizibello That would be an extremely engaging thought provoking (controversial too) thread!!! 

You could start in a chronological order... 

I would gladly contribute profusely... 

@Confessit and @MadonnaOutsold if you have been around and payed some kind of attention you would have known that you need a certain number of posts to open a thread, or to post in the pop princess section, and that that tweet has been already discussed a million times since last Sunday... FYI. 

2 hours ago, Pedro said:

@Confessit and @MadonnaOutsold if you have been around and payed some kind of attention you would have known that you need a certain number of posts to open a thread, or to post in the pop princess section, and that that tweet has been already discussed a million times since last Sunday... FYI. 

Wel we didn't know.

But thank you for enlightening us.