MadonnaNation.com Forums
cindycgy

Random Madonna Discussions Thread

in a class i was teaching today a girl wore a M shirt.. but i dont think she knew, lol. 

it was this image, but made in a silhouette/simple style with just the outline, like a drawing or illustration and black/white

Free-Shipping-Fashion-font-b-Madonna-b-f

8 hours ago, Crystal Coffin said:

@zizibello Let's talk about the song "Easy Ride". I listened to it just now and I have come to the realization that it makes me feel special...it's one of those songs that separates me from the world of everybody else around me. It has this magical secluding effect that can also be experienced with "Mer Girl", "Paradise (Not for Me)", and "Secret Garden". 

Easy Ride is actually my favorite song from AL. 

It's interesting that you mention Mer Girl, because, I've always felt that ER and MG are two of her most 'cinematic' songs.

By that, I mean, whenever I hear them, I can actually visualize them.They evoke such strong emotions within my heart that I can paint vivid pictures in my mind about how the songs tell a story and how that story would look in the form of a video or a movie.True, a lot of M songs do that, but there are a few special ones that just take it a notch above the rest. They possess a certain Je ne sais quoi that just makes them all the more 'dramatic'.

Other songs with the 'cinematic' feel for me are - Falling Free, Live to Tell (and it was used in a movie too), Bad Girl (which got a very cinematic video), Power of Goodbye (ditto), and Messiah

Paradise (Not for me) is a different trip altogether. It's hauntingly beautiful in the album cut, but when she sang it live and acoustic in CT - it brought out a more softer, yet tenderly beautiful, dimension of the song.

Secret Garden is good, no doubt, but it never really does anything for me. Waiting on the other hand.... 

9 minutes ago, zizibello said:

Easy Ride is actually my favorite song from AL. 

It's interesting that you mention Mer Girl, because, I've always felt that ER and MG are two of her most 'cinematic' songs.

By that, I mean, whenever I hear them, I can actually visualize them.They evoke such strong emotions within my heart that I can paint vivid pictures in my mind about how the songs tell a story and how that story would look in the form of a video or a movie.True, a lot of M songs do that, but there are a few special ones that just take it a notch above the rest. They possess a certain Je ne sais quoi that just makes them all the more 'dramatic'.

Other songs with the 'cinematic' feel for me are - Falling Free, Live to Tell (and it was used in a movie too), Bad Girl (which got a very cinematic video), Power of Goodbye (ditto), and Messiah

Paradise (Not for me) is a different trip altogether. It's hauntingly beautiful in the album cut, but when she sang it live and acoustic in CT - it brought out a more softer, yet tenderly beautiful, dimension of the song.

Secret Garden is good, no doubt, but it never really does anything for me. Waiting on the other hand.... 

"Paradise (Not for Me)" from CT is a different animal altogether from the hardcore electro bliss of the album version, I agree

I'm not really a fan of movies, so I don't think of any Madonna songs as having a '"cinematic" feel to them :lol: 

37 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

I'm not really a fan of movies...

A fairy died the minute you typed that... lol

(Peter Pan reference)

2 minutes ago, zizibello said:

A fairy died the minute you typed that... lol

(Peter Pan reference)

I did watch Titanic, Rosemary's Baby... :scared: 

Just now, Crystal Coffin said:

I did watch Titanic, Rosemary's Baby... :scared: 

EVERYONE has seen Titanic

Rosemary's Baby is such a thrill ... Love every bit of it!

Just now, zizibello said:

EVERYONE has seen Titanic

Rosemary's Baby is such a thrill ... Love every bit of it!

I also watched TRANSAMERICA!!! :grins: 

Do you think that "Easy Ride" is about...reincarnation? "Alone Again" (ROL outtake given to Kylie) also seems to be about the same topic. 

2 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

I also watched TRANSAMERICA!!! :grins: 

I cried like a Baby in the movie! I was so angry they gave Reese Witherspoon the Oscar for 'Walk the Line' - Felicity Huffman deserved it!

I also couldn't stand the fact that instead of giving the oscar to Dolly Parton for "Travelin' Thru", they gave it to 'It's hard out here for a pimp' - but at least it had Taraji P Henson giving me Life!

6 minutes ago, zizibello said:

Do you think that "Easy Ride" is about...reincarnation? "Alone Again" (ROL outtake given to Kylie) also seems to be about the same topic. 

Easy Ride definitely is - so is Swim (cleansing bad karma to start afresh)

There are lots of spiritual subjects hidden within the subtext of her songs and videos (and I don't mean crappy conspiracy theory illuminati stuff)

A favourite being Messiah which has undertones of sacred sex-rituals from ancient cultures (I am the moon with no light of my own - you are the sun guarding your throne = yin/yang)

1 minute ago, zizibello said:

I cried like a Baby in the movie! I was so angry they gave Reese Witherspoon the Oscar for 'Walk the Line' - Felicity Huffman deserved it!

I also couldn't stand the fact that instead of giving the oscar to Dolly Parton for "Travelin' Thru", they gave it to 'It's hard out here for a pimp' - but at least it had Taraji P Henson giving me Life!

There are lots of spiritual subjects hidden within the subtext of her songs and videos (and I don't mean crappy conspiracy theory illuminati stuff)

A favourite being Messiah which has undertones of sacred sex-rituals from ancient cultures (I am the moon with no light of my own - you are the sun guarding your throne = yin/yang)

I'm gonna have to take a closer look at the "Swim" lyrics afterward! :yes: 

It's all about the 'flood-myths' from various cultures (dating before Noah's Ark). All of them discuss how humanity has gone insane and thus the gods flooded the earth to cleanse it and start afresh. Of course, one way of seeing them is they poetically describe the various Ice Ages the Earth has been through (and it's been through plenty) where species died out only to have a new lot evolve when the ice melts and thaws (causing it to look like a flood). 

On an esoteric level, it also represents the act of being baptised - having your sins literally washed away so you can start afresh.

SpiritualDonna is deep and has so many layers

On 11/9/2017 at 10:22 PM, zizibello said:

:thumbsup:

Easy Ride is my #3 song ever it makes me reflect on my own existence and the possibility of reincarnation, I think the lyrics "I go round and round just like a circle I can see a clearer picture When I touch the ground I come full circle To my place and I am home I am home" are an absolute reference to reincarnation and the reincarnation wheel... 

I agree that Messiah totally refers to what you are saying about the male and female energy in the sun and the moon and its symbolic relationship. 

Just wanted to share that my sister diecussed with me how she found a new respect for Madoona after watching the billboard speech on youtube. She indicated that she feels she  understsnds her better as a person because ther media tends to oversensationalized her gaffes & social media posts.

On 9/12/2017 at 8:58 AM, Crystal Coffin said:

Wash All Over Me has very similar themes - except it's more personal, and almost like a soul baptism of sorts.

14 hours ago, Pedro said:

:thumbsup:

Easy Ride is my #3 song ever it makes me reflect on my own existence and the possibility of reincarnation, I think the lyrics "I go round and round just like a circle I can see a clearer picture When I touch the ground I come full circle To my place and I am home I am home" are an absolute reference to reincarnation and the reincarnation wheel... 

I agree that Messiah totally refers to what you are saying about the male and female energy in the sun and the moon and its symbolic relationship. 

Also, Isaac is symbolic of Jesus resisting Satan's temptation, as well as, the symbolic journey where the soul falls down into the depths of darkness and hell, only to resurrect itself.

The MDNA Tour is a spiritual journey of sorts - The Transgression act is kinda representative of the fallen angel (hence it begins with The Act of Contrition/GGW, and then ends with the smashing of the crucifix in IDGA ... The Erotic Candy Shop act represents the soul revelling in indulgent dark pleasures, only to be broken when the veil of illusion is lifted and what was once a source of "earthly delights" is now the greatest source of pain ... This leads us to the soul fighting to get free (I'm addicted's Martial Arts moves - ancient theories suggest martial arts and hatha/ashtanga yoga is the first step to spiritual healing as the soul needs a powerful body to house it). The path to Nirvana/Moksha/release is best captured in I'm a Sinner, where M takes a train journey through ancient pilgrimage sites in India (the backdrop shows this beautifully), followed by her singing Cyberraga - which is the closing mantra which is recited by Ashtanga Yogis to symbolise the end of their practice and taking a vow to follow the 8 limbs (literal translation of "Ashtanga") of the path of divine bless and divine love. Thus culminating in Like a Prayer :)

Clearly, I LOVE SpiritualDonna... lol

3 minutes ago, zizibello said:

Wash All Over Me has very similar themes - except it's more personal, and almost like a soul baptism of sorts.

Somehow I'd love to hear an all-male indie/alternative rock band covers "Swim". It would make a cool cover!

5 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

Somehow I'd love to hear an all-male indie/alternative rock band covers "Swim". It would make a cool cover!

Really? I don't know. I rarely like men covering M. Male voices rarely do justice to her music.

Then again, most female singers don't do justice to M.

6 minutes ago, zizibello said:

The MDNA Tour is a spiritual journey of sorts - The Transgression act is kinda representative of the fallen angel (hence it begins with The Act of Contrition/GGW, and then ends with the smashing of the crucifix in IDGA ... The Erotic Candy Shop act represents the soul revelling in indulgent dark pleasures, only to be broken when the veil of illusion is lifted and what was once a source of "earthly delights" is now the greatest source of pain ... This leads us to the soul fighting to get free (I'm addicted's Martial Arts moves - ancient theories suggest martial arts and hatha/ashtanga yoga is the first step to spiritual healing as the soul needs a powerful body to house it). The path to Nirvana/Moksha/release is best captured in I'm a Sinner, where M takes a train journey through ancient pilgrimage sites in India (the backdrop shows this beautifully), followed by her singing Cyberraga - which is the closing mantra which is recited by Ashtanga Yogis to symbolise the end of their practice and taking a vow to follow the 8 limbs (literal translation of "Ashtanga") of the path of divine bless and divine love. Thus culminating in Like a Prayer :)

How would you interpret the LAV/LS medley? She looked like a "tormented soul" during it...after the glittery of "Vogue", the promiscuity of "Erotic Candy Shop", the tough "Human Nature", she kinda "retreated", surrendered herself to her previously hidden vulnerability and she realized that she didn't own it all...it's a bleak ending basically but BEAUTIFULLY done. 

5 minutes ago, zizibello said:

Really? I don't know. I rarely like men covering M. Male voices rarely do justice to her music.

Then again, most female singers don't do justice to M.

Male singers have done better job at covering her songs and female voices can't touch her songs at all. The best one is "Borderline" by The Flaming Lips. 

3 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

How would you interpret the LAV/LS medley? She looked like a "tormented soul" during it...after the glittery of "Vogue", the promiscuity of "Erotic Candy Shop", the tough "Human Nature", she kinda "retreated", surrendered herself to her previously hidden vulnerability and she realized that she didn't own it all...it's a bleak ending basically but BEAUTIFULLY done. 

I have two interpretations - a literary/archetypal one and a spiritual one.

1. Literary/Archetypal

The whole Erotic Candy Shop section from Vogue to Love Spent can be seen as the "Dying Prostitute" archetype. The best example would be Camille - which in the world of Opera inspired one of Giuseppe Verdi's greatest works  - La Traviata - which is also the inspiration for Moulin Rouge (along with Puccini's La Boheme).

It's the classic tale about a "lady of fallen morals" who lives life 'unapologetically' (if I may) only to fall in love and sacrifice it / lose it when the lover turns out to be a caustic abuser. 

When I first saw fan vids of LAV and eventually Love Spent, I was reminded of the Aria - Addio Del Passato  (Farewell to the *glorious* past) - from La Traviata - where Violetta sings lamenting about her life and where it's led her, while she's on her deathbed with an incurable case of TB

Here's a recording of Maria Callas singing the aria. Like M, Maria Callas was oft criticized for not having the traditional "beautiful voice". And just like M - Maria Callas could pierce the hearts of her listeners by milking every bit of emotional honesty within the music she sang. 

The dying prostitute is also common in old Indian movies where courtesans during the time of the Nawabs (Mughal princes) would sing gorgeous songs with beautifully poetic lyrics - often dedicated to a lover of nobel descent that made false promises only to betray them at the end.

The best example of this is Umrao Jaan starring the grand diva of Bollywood - Rekha (a gay icon of sorts in India). In this clip, the legendary poet-courtesan Umrao Jaan sings "there are many admirers of the spark of passion within my eyes, but my eyes gaze upon with love only at a special one who doesn't return my feelings).

2. The Spiritual Interpretation

It's a play of the whole fallen soul realising how far it's strayed from the path of light. What was once a source of pleasure is actually an illusion that leads to pain. They say in many esoteric and spiritual texts that Pain is still a powerful means to heal. As long as the soul feels pain, there is a chance to heal. Pain felt by the soul is a sign that the soul knows the power of love and it's pained by the fact that Love is deeply missing. Thus that pain can act as a catalyst to drive the soul grow and evolve. 

The danger is when the pain leads to numbness and emptiness. The opposite of love isn't hate - it's indifference. When a soul becomes indifferent - it loses it's divine spark - and thus the will to live is gone.

LAV/LS represents the urge of the soul to learn to love - not another- but itself.

Again, this is just my interpretation of it all. I could be totally off.

1 minute ago, Crystal Coffin said:

Male singers have done better job at covering her songs and female voices can't touch her songs at all. The best one is "Borderline" by The Flaming Lips. 

The Flaming Lips Cover is the rare exception. 

Although, I have this feeling that Lana Del Rey could do incredible versions of some of M's ballads - Live to Tell, Frozen, Power of Goodbye... She could even do an amazing Skin. 

Again, just a feeling - doubt Lana would ever do it.

@zizibello I knew you would be the RIGHT PERSON to discuss these things :wow::wow: 

:rotfl: The majorette section is basically Madonna telling the world that YOU CAN EXPRESS YOURSELF BUT EVENTUALLY YOU CAN'T BE ME. "She's Not Me" after "Born This Way", followed by GMAYL where she declared "cuz 'imma different kind of girl". IF ONLY she inserted some lines of "Some Girls" there to end it the whole thing would have been perfect!

REKHA is a real Bollywood EMPRESS. She didn't marry did she? Because Amitabh Bachchan the love of her life married Jaya Bhaduri...

3 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

@zizibello I knew you would be the RIGHT PERSON to discuss these things :wow::wow: 

:rotfl: The majorette section is basically Madonna telling the world that YOU CAN EXPRESS YOURSELF BUT EVENTUALLY YOU CAN'T BE ME. "She's Not Me" after "Born This Way", followed by GMAYL where she declared "cuz 'imma different kind of girl". IF ONLY she inserted some lines of "Some Girls" there to end it the whole thing would have been perfect!

Awwww, that's sweet of you to say @Crystal Coffin ... Thank you!

Regarding Majorette section - that entire section is pure delicious SHADE against the reductive one.

If you read the lyrics to GMAYL - it's an open challenge of sorts. Something Taylor Swift wishes she could do, but doesn't have the balls to do so.

REKHA is a real Bollywood EMPRESS. She didn't marry did she? Because Amitabh Bachchan the love of her life married Jaya Bhaduri...

She had a very brief marriage, but the guy turned out to be an abusive asshole.

Rumor has it she discovered her bisexual side later in life. Nowadays, she's allegedly full on Lez. Of course, none of this is 'confirmed' - but where there's smoke...

I love her, but my favourite Diva of Bollywood is def Madhuri Dixit

5 minutes ago, zizibello said:

Awwww, that's sweet of you to say @Crystal Coffin ... Thank you!

Regarding Majorette section - that entire section is pure delicious SHADE against the reductive one.

If you read the lyrics to GMAYL - it's an open challenge of sorts. Something Taylor Swift wishes she could do, but doesn't have the balls to do so.

Many people hate GMAYL but it gave: 

1) An excellent music video 

2) A spectacular tour performance

3) ORGASMIC REMIXES, particularly that JUST BLAZE BIONIC DUB 

:wow: 

Many people hate GMAYL but it gave: 

1) An excellent music video 

2) A spectacular tour performance

3) ORGASMIC REMIXES, particularly that JUST BLAZE BIONIC DUB 

:wow: 

I was underwhelmed when I heard it... however, the live performance during the tour was LIFE!!!

Everything about it is perfection!!!

You guys are giving me life with all this analysis of M's tour work.  Keep going please.

ps.  We need a whole thread dedicated to all the various interpretations of each act in all of M's tours. SO fascinating.

Just now, zizibello said:

I was underwhelmed when I heard it... however, the live performance during the tour was LIFE!!!

Everything about it is perfection!!!

This is an 11/10 moment:

I will always love Manisha Koirala in Dil Se. SHE SLAYED :wow: 

3 minutes ago, VogueMusic said:

You guys are giving me life with all this analysis of M's tour work.  Keep going please.

ps.  We need a whole thread dedicated to all the various interpretations of each act in all of M's tours. SO fascinating.

Awwww .... Thank You!

I love analysing art - especially when it comes to M.

I once gave a guest lecture at a University about interpreting spirituality in art and pop culture - a huge chunk of it was dedicated to M (because - duh...lol). 

I'd love to start a thread, but I wouldn't know where to begin.

This is an 11/10 moment:

I will always love Manisha Koirala in Dil Se. SHE SLAYED :wow: 

This remix is amazing - but so much better when Live ... it was pure Fierceness!

Manisha Koirala was alright. Dil Se was just way too pretentious. However, the music and cinematography was epic!

Wasn't sure where to post this...

Legendary gossip board 'Popbitch' is closing so they were revealing a few secrets including Madonna used to post there under the username 'mlvc'!

I wonder if there's anyway we can scan the archives and see what she might have said! 

Lady Fadga about Madonna: she wouldn't look me in the eye and tell me I'm reductive.

Can someone create this thread because I'm newbie and I can't