White SFSU Student Told His Deadlocks are "Cultural Appropriation"

Guest Rocco Papa

Gap apologizes and promises to change ad for Ellen DeGeneres' kids clothing line after it sparked a backlash for showing 'token' black girl as an arm rest for a white child

• Gap shared pictures for the GapKids X ED campaign on Twitter
  • It immediately sparked a backlash from users who spotted the flaw
  • They blasted company for showing a black girl as a white girl's armrest
  • They also called Gap out for only using one 'token' child of color in the ad
  • Gap spokesman said they will replace the shot with a different one
32D9CB4100000578-3523643-image-a-12_1459

A Gap Kids ad for Ellen DeGeneres' clothing line has sparked a social media backlash for having a racial undertone after presenting the only black girl in the campaign as an arm rest

Quote:

Gap Kids has apologized after an ad for Ellen DeGeneres' clothing line sparked a social media backlash for having a racial undertone.

The company shared pictures for the GapKids X ED campaign on Twitter on Saturday with the caption: 'Meet the kids who are proving girls can do anything.'

'We all have the power to empower one another,' is the tagline for the line – aimed to encourage young girls to 'follow their passions.'

But Twitter users immediately spotted the flaw in the four photographs posted on Gap's Twitter account – and called the company out on presenting the only black girl as a prop.

The company was blasted for only using one 'token' child of color – and presenting her as an arm rest for a white girl. The white girls, meanwhile, are shown doing gymnastics, DJing and using a telescope.

Fatima La'Juan Muse said: '@GapKids proving girls can do anything… unless she's Black. Then all she can do is bear the weight of White girls. #EpicFail.'

Muse added that the picture suggests there is lack of diversity in the boardroom at Gap as 'most people of color would have immediately recognized the error.'

'Thanks for perfectly illustrating what 'passive racism' looks like in mainstream media,' wrote Jessica Wow.

32D9E42900000578-3523643-image-a-25_1459

32D9D50900000578-3523643-image-a-30_1459

32D9D50F00000578-3523643-image-a-32_1459

32D9D13400000578-3523643-image-a-22_1459

32D9CB3900000578-3523643-image-a-17_1459

The line, a collaboration with Ellen DeGeneres, is aimed to encourage young girls to 'follow their passions'

:lmao:

yet the other poster has a black girl putting her elbow and leaning on a white girl. no one says anything. there's nothing wrong with the poster. if you are gonna look for something to get offended about, you're gonna find it.

Guest Rocco Papa

yet the other poster has a black girl putting her elbow and leaning on a white girl. no one says anything. there's nothing wrong with the poster. if you are gonna look for something to get offended about, you're gonna find it.

Exactly! The fact that they had to apologize and change it is really infuriating. It's scary how much power these morons have.

ELLEN_MAIN_1_990b.jpg?01AD=3Iq6zIPPX-gGz

if you are gonna look for something to get offended about, you're gonna find it.

Very true... BUT the other 2 are clearly doing some kind of Yoga stretch. Why is she not posed similarly?

I see subtle advertisements like that all the time, like in the toy aisle a while back. Each doll baby was dressed in a different animal costume; the blonde was a bunny, the brunette a deer, the red head was a fox... and the Black one was a skunk. My Aunt & I weren't OUTRAGED, but we definitely caught the shade! "Isaac, you see this shit, right?" :rotfl:

Very true... BUT the other 2 are clearly doing some kind of Yoga stretch. Why is she not posed similarly?

I see subtle advertisements like that all the time, like in the toy aisle a while back. Each doll baby was dressed in a different animal costume; the blonde was a bunny, the brunette a deer, the red head was a fox... and the Black one was a skunk. My Aunt & I weren't OUTRAGED, but we definitely caught the shade! "Isaac, you see this shit, right?" :rotfl:

hm yeah okay i see that.. maybe that was a problem. but for most of the cases it seems to be harmless and people looking for something bad.

Ellen is as vanilla as they come & she's still well aware of how she's perceived.

Whether we think the ads are a big deal or not, some people didn't like the shoot, so she changed it.

No one was hurt in the process. I'm sure all the lil' girls were well compensated for their inclusion.

hm yeah okay i see that.. maybe that was a problem. but for most of the cases it seems to be harmless and people looking for something bad.

I agree, but then again, I can't argue what other people find harmless.

Martin Luther King would be proud to know he was assassinated for this.

MLK would, considering in his day speaking out against ANY form of discrimination would often lead to public death.

I don't think moaning is speaking out against discrimination. Specially in a country where you have more chances to get killed by a cop or go to jail just because of being black. I think those issues are far more important than a white guy wearing dreadlocks or that Ellen ad. But that's just my opinion.

I don't know what's worse: these so called social justice warriors or you people who are so horribly offended by a handful of people who voice their opinions and blame them for Trump :rolleyes: Trump panders to lower class white people who were also hit extremely hard by the economic crisis and who watch Fox and are told by a powerful machine that us minorities and lettuce picking Mexicans are the problem. Yeah they're awful people but there's a reason why they exist and are voting in record numbers. blaming some random black chick who's offended by seeing a random ad for Trump is fucking stupid.

I get it, it's super annoying when a company pulls an ad for something that seems silly or even made up, but Jesus, don't you guys have something more important to be so angry about?

I get it, it's super annoying when a company pulls an ad for something that seems silly or even made up, but Jesus, don't you guys have something more important to be so angry about?

they actually don't because they're losers

It's amazing how all this police brutality and never ending and out of control racism is always covered up by "Breaking News! Black people are offended by a silly little ad! When will someone put an end to all these horrible vicious social warriors!"

Seriously, fuck America. My country has been at war during half of my life(all of my life if you count minor military operations) and I've seen some pretty unfair shit, but somehow it's been reduced to this? People bickering over the most petty bullshit ever? Wake the fuck up.

Yes I'm in a bad mood you've been warned.

Look I totally agree that there are silly ass cases where "social justice warriors" take it too far. But I have seen enough videos and read enough articles from the OTHER side that is combating these people to know that their underlining agenda scares me WAY more. Pretty much if you watch their videos or read their articles the comments left by people are nothing but racist, homophobic and transphobic. This is not a group of people that I want to be associated with by and large on any scale.

Like I also said I don't think this "SJW" movement is as big as the people on the other side make it out to be. At least in my everyday life I don't see people that are SO easily offended by dumb shit like a white man wearing dreads. I really think these instances are the exception to the rule that are being exploited by people on the other side who have a far more sinister agenda.

Guest Rocco Papa

Look I totally agree that there are silly ass cases where "social justice warriors" take it too far. But I have seen enough videos and read enough articles from the OTHER side that is combating these people to know that their underlining agenda scares me WAY more. Pretty much if you watch their videos or read their articles the comments left by people are nothing but racist, homophobic and transphobic. This is not a group of people that I want to be associated with by and large on any scale.

Like I also said I don't think this "SJW" movement is as big as the people on the other side make it out to be. At least in my everyday life I don't see people that are SO easily offended by dumb shit like a white man wearing dreads. I really think these instances are the exception to the rule that are being exploited by people on the other side who have a far more sinister agenda.

I think the problem is that those are the only ones who are speaking out against it. The others are too afraid to say anything, because they don't want to be labeled a bigot, racist, homophobe, etc. More people need to take a stand IMO.

And I think a big part of the problem lies in the media. The mainstream media wants to cater to the social media audience, because that will get them hits, views, followers, likes, etc. And these SJWs have the loudest voices on social media. As a person trying to have a career in media, this scares me very much. That's one of the reasons why I pay so much attention to it and get so upset about it. This kind of SJW attitude has taken over mainstream media. I certainly refuse to change who I am and lie about my views in order to advance my career.

Plus, I worry about the effect media has on others. Are people who don't know any better going to adopt this way of thinking? Will it keep spreading? There has always been these kinds of people, but they seem to be growing larger in numbers. Especially among young people who think that using a hashtag on Twitter is the equivalent of doing a good deed.

Look I totally agree that there are silly ass cases where "social justice warriors" take it too far. But I have seen enough videos and read enough articles from the OTHER side that is combating these people to know that their underlining agenda scares me WAY more. Pretty much if you watch their videos or read their articles the comments left by people are nothing but racist, homophobic and transphobic.

tumblr_nbyvpzlhZx1r8jjn6o1_500.gif

I think the problem is that those are the only ones who are speaking out against it. The others are too afraid to say anything, because they don't want to be labeled a bigot, racist, homophobe, etc. More people need to take a stand IMO.

And I think a big part of the problem lies in the media. The mainstream media wants to cater to the social media audience, because that will get them hits, views, followers, likes, etc. And these SJWs have the loudest voices on social media. As a person trying to have a career in media, this scares me very much. That's one of the reasons why I pay so much attention to it and get so upset about it. This kind of SJW attitude has taken over mainstream media. I certainly refuse to change who I am and lie about my views in order to advance my career.

Plus, I worry about the effect media has on others. Are people who don't know any better going to adopt this way of thinking? Will it keep spreading? There has always been these kinds of people, but they seem to be growing larger in numbers. Especially among young people who think that using a hashtag on Twitter is the equivalent of doing a good deed.

Like I said I can see both sides. I don't want to live in a world where people lack a sense of humor and get their panties in a bunch over the dumbest shit, but I also don't want to live in a world where no one is sensitive about anyone's feelings, and I feel like that's the world these "Anti SJW's" want to live in. There is just a dark underbelly to these people who LOUDLY speak out against these people that is palpable to me in terms of it being rooted in hate/racism/homophobia. It's like racists are now crying like pansies because they cant be publicly racist anymore.

I don't know. I have never come across pretentious ass people that refuse to clap because its a "trigger" or people that will shout someone down simply for wearing dreads but then again my time in college was brief and that seems to be the place where these things take root, but it seems like no matter what decade we are in there has always been overly pretentious twats that find each other on college campuses who take life too seriously.

This.

Like I said I can see both sides. I don't want to live in a world where people lack a sense of humor and get their panties in a bunch over the dumbest shit, but I also don't want to live in a world where no one is sensitive about anyone's feelings, and I feel like that's the world these "Anti SJW's" want to live in. There is just a dark underbelly to these people who LOUDLY speak out against these people that is palpable to me in terms of it being rooted in hate/racism/homophobia. It's like racists are now crying like pansies because they cant be publicly racist anymore.

I don't know. I have never come across pretentious ass people that refuse to clap because its a "trigger" or people that will shout someone down simply for wearing dreads but then again my time in college was brief and that seems to be the place where these things take root, but it seems like no matter what decade we are in there has always been overly pretentious twats that find each other on college campuses who take life too seriously.

I've said it before that it's unfortunate that a good number (but certainly not all) of the folks calling out the "regressive left/SJW" stuff are right-wingers...or conservative Libertarian types. (Many are the latter). And there is sometimes an underlying homophobia/racism/sexism to their usual platform. That is why it has been tough for some people to call out the "regressive left"...because many of them will just scream that you're a right-winger. There are a lot of level-headed liberals/progressives, independents, etc. that have realized that the loudest voices currently in progressive politics aren't the most rational...and they see the damage that has caused and it can continue to do. And it's not really just confined to colleges or social media blogs. And the right will use that (to a certain degree) to try to make the socio-political pendulum shift back to their side.

I agree that it's been overblown, but that's because the media has gladly given them that platform. And if not counteracted with rational/evidence-based arguments, can have very real consequences. It's like imagine you have a house...there's a place for everyone, including the most radical/irrational. But over time, they invite more in...you fail to keep everything in check...and before you know it, they've taken over and the sane folks are afraid to go down to the kitchen at night for a snack. As someone who is passionate about real social justice issues, it's concerning...

Guest Rocco Papa

I've said it before that it's unfortunate that a good number (but certainly not all) of the folks calling out the "regressive left/SJW" stuff are right-wingers...or conservative Libertarian types. (Many are the latter). And there is sometimes an underlying homophobia/racism/sexism to their usual platform. That is why it has been tough for some people to call out the "regressive left"...because many of them will just scream that you're a right-winger. There are a lot of rational liberals/progressives, independents, etc. that have realized that the loudest voices currently in progressive politics aren't the most rational...and they see the damage that has caused and it can continue to do. And it's not really just confined to colleges or social media blogs. And the right will use that (to a certain degree) to try to make the socio-political pendulum shift back to their side.

I agree that it's been overblown, but that's because the media has gladly given them that platform. And if not put in check, can have real consequences. It's like imagine you have a house...there's a place for everyone, including the most radical/irrational. But over time, they invite more in...you fail to keep everything in check...and before you know it, they've taken over and the sane folks are afraid to go down to the kitchen at night for a snack.

As someone who is passionate about actual social justice issues, it's concerning...

:thumbsup::clap:

Guest Pud Whacker

its the nothings that are always claiming whats their culture.

for this can go back and forth all day.

and WHO THE FUCK CARES?!!!

cause i can sit here all day and night and year and tell you whats been stolen from the gays.

but i wont.

It's just freshman year students who think they already know it all because their parents indebted themselves to get them in a good university. In 3 or 4 years when reality, bills and the pressure of losing your job will hit & break them, you won't see them going on about this shit.

For the moment they are just entitled brats without a real notion of the real world except for what they read on the internet