Explosions at Brussels airport

Guest Rachelle of London

My GOD what a day :(

My bf works at the commission and was just about to enter the metro station when the attacks happened. If he would've left 5-10 mins before ... I cannot even imagine.

He called me in tears saying that there is smoke everywhere, people are in panic and lots of blood. I told him to go back home immediately and to stay there which he did

Surreal and insane

Oh my god! Glad he's safe

I m so sad and I feel terrible. I was just there on the day they caught the terrorist... I cant believe it. My heart goes out to the victims and their families. Tnx god all the ppl I know from Brussels checked on Facebook as safe!

Yes you were there so recently!!

Well to be fair things seem to get worse each year. Random violence everywhere.

Oh my god! Glad he's safe

Thanks chelle

It was/is so surreal. I'm just glad he's safe. He lives in the EU quarter,too .Told him to stay home tomorrow as well - he said they left it up to them whether or not they go to the office or work from home.

Thanks chelle

It was/is so surreal. I'm just glad he's safe. He lives in the EU quarter,too .Told him to stay home tomorrow as well - he said they left it up to them whether or not they go to the office or work from home.

Must be a big chock for you both when he escaped so close. I just read that a bomb with nails and an IS flag is found in a house tonight in Brussels suburb.

My bf works at the commission and was just about to enter the metro station when the attacks happened. If he would've left 5-10 mins before ... I cannot even imagine.

He called me in tears saying that there is smoke everywhere, people are in panic and lots of blood. I told him to go back home immediately and to stay there which he did

Surreal and insane

So glad he is safe!

Surreal and insane

Thank god he is safe! Take care you both!

Yes I second this, thank goodness he is safe. Just makes me angry and sad towards these terrorist criminals, they are just monsters.

So glad he is safe!

Yes I second this, thank goodness he is safe. Just makes me angry and sad towards these terrorist criminals, they are just monsters.

Thank you all for your kind words and wishes. They are much appreciated :kiss2:

I hope all other Brussels based MNation members & their loved ones are safe

Thank you all for your kind words and wishes. They are much appreciated :kiss2:

I hope all other Brussels based MNation members & their loved ones are safe

Sorry if I expressed myself poorly. Im glad hes ok too.

I dont know if anyone has heard from Stijn, is he in Brussels?

Surreal and insane

thank god!

This news hit around 4am here kept receiving alerts on my phone couldn't get back to sleep it's truly sickening.

Guest Medoner

Good, you hopefully understood how nasty AND hypocritical that comment was and deleted it yourself.

Man fuck this fighting shit. You know i love you.

M tried telling us at the end of the SB halftime show: World Peace. That is all

Man fuck this fighting shit. You know i love you.

M tried telling us at the end of the SB halftime show: World Peace. That is all

Was going to delete it, you beat me to it. But yeah lets not fight. world peace that would be nice, might even save our poor planet.

Adelma Tapia Ruiz, 36, was traveling with her twin 3-year-old daughters to New York when 2 bombs exploded at the Brussels Airport. She is one of the first known victims of the assaults.

Twin Girls, 3, Lose Their Mother in Bombing

ruiz-articleInline.jpg
Adelma Tapia Ruiz, 36, was killed while traveling with her family.Credit Cyril Jouany

Adelma Tapia Ruiz, a Peruvian woman who had lived in Brussels for almost nine years, was traveling with her twin 3-year-old daughters, Maureen and Alondra, to visit her mother in New York when two bombs exploded at Brussels Airport on Tuesday.

Ms. Tapia, 36, was killed, making her one of the first known victims of the assaults, which killed at least 30 people.

Maureen had shrapnel wounds in one arm, while Alondra was not injured. Ms. Tapia’s husband, Christopher Delcambe, who was seeing his family off at the airport, was also injured during the explosion, and he and Maureen were hospitalized.

“We danced together at an event for Women’s Day just recently,” said Lady Sindey Jouany, a friend of Ms. Tapia’s who lives in Paris. “She was a very active woman. I’m still in shock. At first I thought it was someone else, and it took time to understand how this could have happened to her and how close to home it has hit.”

Fernando Tapia Coral, Ms. Tapia’s older brother, confirmed his sister’s death in a post on Facebook.

“It’s very complicated to describe this pain that we’re feeling at home, but as an older brother I know that I have to do it,” Mr. Tapia wrote. “But even more incomprehensible is not being able to be close to her. And this tragedy today touched the doors of my family this morning in the Brussels airport when my sister Adelma Tapia died in the terrorist attack and was not able to survive this jihadist attack that we’ll never understand.”

In an interview, Mr. Tapia said: “The girls had been playing, and Christopher followed them out of the gate area when the explosion occurred suddenly. Christopher couldn’t find Adelma.”

Ms. Tapia had three sisters and two brothers. “They are in shock and can’t even talk,” Mr. Tapia said. “We are from Iquitos, and everyone here is also in shock.”

He added that one of his sisters was trying to fly to Belgium to help identify the body.

“Adelma was a chef and had studied marketing; she wanted to set up a Peruvian restaurant in Brussels,” Mr. Tapia said.

Ms. Tapia’s Facebook page is filled with photographs of her and her children. In one post she wrote about participating in a Peruvian food festival sponsored by the Peruvian consul general in Brussels.

An earlier version of this blog post misstated the condition of Ms. Tapia’s husband, Christopher Delcambe. He was injured in the attack; he was not unharmed.

Yes you were there so recently!!

Well to be fair things seem to get worse each year. Random violence everywhere.

YES! It's scary that there is random violence everywhere. Totally random (there is no way to predict where it might happen) (which makes it scary).

How terrible is this? But hey, nobody ever said a word about the terrible attacks last week in turkey. Why is that? Poor innocent people...

Of course it's terrible for the people but their government is buying oil directly from IS.

Guest Rachelle of London

Still all innocent lives should matter no matter what country or religion.

Not the first time disgusting remarks about Turkish people have been made. Not surprised at all.

Still all innocent lives should matter no matter what country or religion.

to this and what you said before, of course all innocent people matters and they matter just the same, but it's understandable when someone is more affected by facts happening in it's country or a country of the same culturale heritage or geographic proximity....

if i have tbh i'm a little annoyed (and it happens not only here so i'm not talking about anyone here) when a fact like this happens and soon people comes with "but no one said a word about *put any city in the world*" even because it's not totally true....the fact that no one made a thread about, not only the most recent turkish bombing, but others happened recently, doesn't mean that no one cares or get informed....but if anyone let me say, i don't feel guilt cause i feel more stricken (if it's the right term) by a terroist attack in bruxelles or paris....and i'd like anyone don't try to let me feel it

Just hope that down the line a big war does not break out between countries or regions because of all the tensions in the world. It just feels like shit will eventually hit the fan and conflicts will escalate depending who's going to be in power in the most powerful countries.

Also, still feel very badly for the innocent people who are getting terrorized and killed in Turkey and around the globe. My extended family lives in nato countries and I've traveled in western Europe many times, so just feel connected to what's happening in that part of the world more.