boy skeffington

STRIKE A POSE documentary

603 posts in this topic

Because Madonna is supposed to support emotionally and financially every person she has ever hired or be-friended.

I kept waiting for this slant and sure enough it fits right into their "she's a horrible mom" story! I assume they waited hoping she would possibly acknowledge the movie before finally deciding to slag her off as the way to promote it.

http://pagesix.com/2016/03/20/how-madonna-mothers-exploits-and-dumps-young-talent/?_ga=1.235748482.265069256.1458479472

This story has it all - custody, dancers and even the trainer story all in one!

but a lot of MDNA dancers stayed in her house for years in NY didn't they? she's very loyal to her dancers. this is bullshit. AGAIN

I commented on Pud's Twitter account that I find it odd that she's being criticized for who she wants to employ or to hang out with.

And why for gods sake does it have anything to do with her son?

The article is pure trash. Jose disappointed, but I'm not surprised that Nicole sent messengers.

Of course it's bullshit. But it's the new story.

"the new story"? ... in ur mind most likely...so keep it like that.

vlcsnap_2015_07_27_17h08m10s26.png

In the late ’80s, an underground dance movement was raging in New York City gay clubs. Called voguing, it caught the eye of a boundary-pushing pop star who was searching for fresh inspiration.

Madonna was urged by Debi Mazar (then her hairdresser, later an actress in shows like “Entourage”) to go to the Sound Factory, where two of the city’s best voguers — Jose Gutierez and Luis Camacho — held court.

“She invited me to dance right there,” says Gutierez, who remembers being scantily clad at the time. “She ordered her bodyguard to give me his pants, and [i put them on and] she sat there and watched me strip. She was blown away. After that, we hung out the whole night.”

It was a wild evening that would thrust Gutierez into Madonna’s inner circle and change the Lower East Side native’s life forever. At the singer’s invitation, the 18-year-old went from attending La Guardia HS on the Upper West Side to co-starring with six other young male dancers in the “Vogue” video, dancing alongside Madonna on her 1990 Blond Ambition tour and even appearing in her notorious “Truth or Dare” documentary.

The musician took Gutierez and the others under her wing, acting as both mother and mentor — opening them up to a glamorous, and loving, life. But when the tour was over, Madonna abandoned most of this “family” and moved on to the next craze, leaving the young men rudderless.

Says Gutierez, “Things come to an end abruptly. And you don’t prepare for it.”

Sources tell The Post that this is the Madonna way. When it comes to hiring her support staff, an insider says, “She seems to make a beeline for a certain ‘type’ — young, naive and with emotional baggage. It’s as though she can spot a troubled background a mile off.

“She will give these dancers, stage crew, nannies and assistants what she considers to be a great life — but it’s always all on her terms,” the source adds. “If there is a difference of opinion or if she feels that they are no longer appreciating her, she can turn nasty. If she doesn’t fire them, she’s been known to freeze them out: the glacial stares can be very hard to tolerate.”

The rise and fall of Madonna’s relationship with Gutierez, Camacho and the other young dancers from the Blond Ambition tour — Kevin Stea, Salim Gauwloos, Oliver Crumes, Carlton Wilborn and Gabriel Trupin — is captured in “Strike a Pose,” a documentary premiering at the Tribeca Film Festival in April. The film examines how, thanks to their writhing, high-energy performances on stage and in “Truth or Dare,” the men became gay icons. It also looks in on their lives and careers in the post-Madonna whirlwind.

“Besides my blood relatives, they are my first family I bonded with,” says Stea in the film. “It’s a very formative part of my life. My mom was kind of absent at that point, so having Madonna around did fill that space.”

Most of the dancers haven’t seen their fearless leader in 25 years.

“She has a real eye for raw talent, and she wants to help people and give them a leg up in the industry,” says the Madonna insider. “She often befriends the newcomers and goes out of her way to make them feel welcome.”

But there’s always a motive, says Gutierez, now 44: “She got a lot of empowerment through us, honestly.”

He recalls how he, along with Wilborn, continued to work with Madonna after the tour, though no longer on an everyday basis. And he felt compelled to do whatever it took to stay in her good graces. Gutierez says his devotion was so deep that when Michael Jackson asked him to work on his Dangerous world tour and Madonna told him to turn it down, he obeyed.

“Even though I love this man, I am going to turn this down to show loyalty to [Madonna],” Gutierez remembers thinking. “I wish I would have [gone] with him.”

In the end, Madonna got bored with Gutierez and moved on to the next hot thing.

“[Camacho and I] put out a record under her label . . . and she didn’t promote it enough,” Gutierez claims. “She wanted to be an actress and be in ‘A League of Their Own,’ and paid [my] project no mind. [she] half-assed it.”

For other dancers, the “familial” bonds had begun to unravel almost as soon as “Truth or Dare” hit theaters.

In 1992, Crumes, Trupin and Stea sued Madonna, saying she had lied about the intended use of filmed footage and invaded their privacy. At the center of the dispute was a steamy scene showing Gauwloos and Trupin French kissing. Trupin, who died of AIDS in 1995, was upset that the film publicly outed him as gay. His mother makes an emotional appearance in “Strike a Pose,” saying that she believes Madonna used her son as her pawn.

“He was ashamed of being caught off guard like that. He wasn’t there yet. He wasn’t ready,” Sue Trupin says. “He begged her not to use [the footage] and she wouldn’t relent.”

Stea tells The Post that his grievance was over the contract the dancers had signed for appearing on camera and how they were to be paid. The trio eventually reached an out-of-court settlement in 1994 and the lawsuit was dismissed.

Some believe the movie was just another example of Madonna taking what she thought was hers. As Crumes says in “Strike a Pose”: “If it wasn’t for us, there would be no [‘Truth or Dare’].”

“We sat in a room and we created. We were doing the styling and not expecting anything in return, and now knowing we’re basically creative directing this s - - t. We were doing it for fun,” Gutierez says. “At the time, I didn’t know the business.”

According to the Madonna insider, employees had good reason not to cross her.

“She’ll be BFFs with a dancer until she feels there is a conflict of interest . . . There have been occasions where they have wanted to hang out with other people, take more vacations than she thought were necessary, or questioned her way of doing things — at that point the friendship will often come to an abrupt halt.”

And she can behave in such a vengeful way as to burn bridges forever.

Around 2009, Madonna fired trainer Tracy Anderson — because, a source says, Anderson started sending her employees to sessions when she was too busy to attend herself. Perhaps to get back at the trainer, Madonna enlisted one of Anderson’s protégées, Nicole Winhoffer, as a replacement. Winhoffer was also named the face of the singer’s Hard Candy Fitness studios (there are nine locations around the world, albeit none in the United States). Though the promotion sounds generous on the surface, it ended up giving Madonna more control.

“If you are with her, she owns you,” says a Winhoffer pal. “As soon as Nicole started to get recognition, whether it was in the press or brands or agencies wanting to work with her, Madonna started cracking down and not letting her do anything.”

After five years with Her Madgesty, Winhoffer left to pursue ventures that had been off-limits. (She is now the global ambassador for Adidas by Stella McCartney. )

Madonna was not happy about one of her own leaving the nest. At a February concert in the Philippines, she publicly threw dirt on Winhoffer, whose mother is from the conservative Asian country.

“You know, once I had this Filipino trainer, this beautiful girl. She was gorgeous, and very talented as a trainer,” Madonna told the crowd. “But, she f - - ked my boyfriend, so I fired her.”

But, as Page Six reported, Winhoffer had a fling with Madonna’s now-ex-boyfriend, dancer Brahim Zaibet — only it was before the singer ever dated him. (Madonna’s spokesperson did not return requests for comment.)

Madonna’s “bad mommy” behavior — bringing people close, then stifling them until they can’t take it — even seems to extend to her ongoing custody battle with ex-husband Guy Ritchie over their 15-year-old son, Rocco. A source told The Post in January that Rocco refused to return to his mother’s New York home because of her “controlling” ways.

“She has the best of intentions with both her children and her employees, but she doesn’t get why either the kids or the staff would want to deviate from her way of doing things,” says the Madonna insider. “She feels as though she has curated the perfect life and, with her, loyalty means toeing the line. You’re either on Team Madonna or you’re not.”

As for Gutierez, who appears in and consults on Baz Luhrmann’s upcoming Netflix series, “The Get Down,” he hasn’t spoken to his former mentor in well over a decade. Five years ago, he saw her at Macy’s for the launch of her “Truth or Dare” fragrance.

“She saw me and just smiled. That was it,” he says, still confused and heartbroken. After all, “We were family.”

so whats your point pud? bolding all the negative madonna quotes.

so whats your point pud? bolding all the negative madonna quotes.

whats your point nikki? dont question me.

She can own me anytime

:lol:

Totally. These little ingrates. She GAVE them a career (????!!!???). To say in that article that there would NOT have been a TOD without them is ridiculous.

i wonder why madonna just smiled at Jose at the TOD perfume?

he certainly left out that he was a heroin junkie that she tried to help for years. that she allowed him to live in her LA house.

i can go on and on and on....

Jose and Luis, I can't with them... They are the only ones still whining to these days... Get over it ffs!

Jose and Luis, I can't with them... They are the only ones still whining to these days... Get over it ffs!

oh, the other one. that luis. big as a house.

:lol:

Totally. These little ingrates. She GAVE them a career (????!!!???). To say in that article that there would NOT have been a TOD without them is ridiculous.

i wonder why madonna just smiled at Jose at the TOD perfume?

he certainly left out that he was a heroin junkie that she tried to help for years. that she allowed him to live in her LA house.

i can go on and on and on....

Please go on :lol:

they would already be long forgotten if it wasn't for M

Please go on :lol:

:rotfl:

i need to be irritated enough!!! and trust me, it doesnt take much!!!

that article sent me through the roof!!!

Gutierez, now 44: “She got a lot of empowerment through us, honestly.” <--- this line alone...

she got what from who?

omg thank god! I misunderstood, pud! I thought you wanted to rub it in bolding the gossip. but you're mad about this too!

I think madonna cares more than anyone in pop about how her dancers are doing! those jerks are horrible to do this to her!

Now they claim they have created and designed the BAT? Well, I wonder what Gaultier and Vince Patterson have to say about that. And Tracy Anderson? Hello, we all know she made Madonna look like a hulk at some point and became BFF with Goop to found her own fitness studio chain.

What I find really odd is that there was no bad blood from these people during the world premiere in Berlin. Why now? Or is most of it invented again?

:rotfl:

i need to be irritated enough!!! and trust me, it doesnt take much!!!

that article sent me through the roof!!!

Well, read it again! I really didn't know that he lived at her house. I wanna know more!

I mean, I'm shocked that the phenomenal journalist who wrote this story didn't turn out to be Chris Ciccone.. All this "she gives you the best life, but it has to be under her own terms". This is pure Chris. Like, fuck you. Nobody forced you to work for her.. So say thank you or fuck off

I thought she fired Tracy Anderson cuz she + Goop stole the Hard Candy Fitness idea and cuz she had an affair.com with the Raising Malawi person?

also she let Carlton stay at her house for months when he was broke in the 90s

this better not be in the "strike a pose" doc. i thought a fan watched it in a premier or screening and that it wasnt shady?

I thought she fired Tracy Anderson cuz she + Goop stole the Hard Candy Fitness idea and cuz she had an affair.com with the Raising Malawi person?

also she let Carlton stay at her house for months when he was broke in the 90s

Great memory. This van Bosche guy or something who ran Raising Malawi and auditors found out he was doing inappropriate stuff with the funds provided. Like expensive car rentals and golf club memerships.