American 2016 Presidential Election thread part three

This whole Bernie thing is bad for Hillary and very good from Trump/cruz

And Bernies promisses may look promissing but its nothing more than populism , the bigger the State the bigger corruption and inefficiencies , everywhere is like that

Very true.

A Homecoming, and a Triumph, for Hillary Clinton in New York

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Hillary Clinton Rejoices in New York Win

By AMY CHOZICK

APRIL 19, 2016

She danced the merengue in Washington Heights. She slammed down a mean game of dominoes in East Harlem.

And in the East Village the day before the New York primary, Hillary Clinton broke her long-held rule of not eating in front of the news media by digging into an ice cream concoction named the Victory.

Mrs. Clinton seemed, for the first time in a rocky and unpredictable Democratic race, relaxed. "That's what's so great about being back here now for this primary," she said at Mikey Likes It Ice Cream, where the owner had named the dessert in her honor. "I get to go to a lot of the places that I love. I get to meet new people and see people Ive known for a long time."

Mrs. Clinton has had dramatic highs and crushing lows in her political career and in this campaign. But since she first ran for office 16 years ago, New York has always been the state that loved her back, and on Tuesday it delivered one of her biggest boosts yet toward becoming the first woman to capture the Democratic Party's nomination for president.

"Today, today, you proved once again, theres no place like home," she told a jubilant crowd of more than 2,500 at the Sheraton New York hotel in Midtown after taking the stage to the song "Empire State of Mind" by Alicia Keys and Jay Z.

"In this campaign, we've won in every region of the country, from the North to the South to the East to the West," Mrs. Clinton added. "But this one is personal."

Her New York triumph was an echo of her victory in 2008, when she defeated Barack Obama by 17 points. But this year the New York primary came later and, after a string of victories by Senator Bernie Sanders in smaller states, had far more bearing on the direction of the race. With two-thirds of the delegates now pledged, Mrs. Clinton leads Mr. Sanders by more than 200.

On Monday, when asked whether a significant win in New York would mean that she had effectively locked up the nomination, Mrs. Clinton, over a bubble tea in Flushing, Queens, said cautiously, "You know, I never count any chickens before they hatch."

But a few hours later, surrounded by an adoring downtown crowd, she was counting her chickens. "I'm hoping to do really well," Mrs. Clinton said at an L.G.B.T. community center in Greenwich Village. "I'm hoping to wrap up the Democratic nomination."

The crowd erupted in chants of "Hillary! Hillary!"

Realizing that she may have slipped and assumed the air of inevitability that has let Mr. Sanders play the part of Goliath-slayer, Mrs. Clinton quieted the raucous supporters. "But! But. But, I'm not taking anything for granted," she added, before listing a bevy of forthcoming primaries she said she would work hard to win.

But none of the remaining states hold the psychological weight of New York, where in 1999 Mrs. Clinton first dipped her toe into making the transition from presidential spouse to political force.

Overcoming the inconvenient facts that she was born in a Chicago suburb and spent most of her adult life in Little Rock, Ark., and Washington, Mrs. Clinton dived into retail politics and listening tours with voters, working to prove that she was not a carpetbagger. The Clintons vacationed upstate in Skaneateles in 1999, and that fall they bought a $1.7 million five-bedroom Dutch colonial in Chappaqua.

She made New York her home and has been a real workhorse here, said Peter Romanoff, 49, an advertising executive in Briarcliff Manor who voted for Mrs. Clinton on Tuesday.

In the two weeks since her April 5 loss in Wisconsin, Mrs. Clinton ran a classic street-level campaign to win New York. As Mr. Sanders stuck largely to a strategy of holding large rallies, drawing tens of thousands to Washington Square Park and Prospect Park, Mrs. Clinton echoed her first Senate campaign and kept many of her appearances targeted and intimate.

And for a candidate sometimes criticized as aloof and wooden, Mrs. Clinton, in New York, seemed carefree, or as carefree as a cautious presidential candidate can be.

On Friday, as Mr. Sanders visited Vatican City, Mrs. Clinton toured an apartment in the Edward Corsi Houses, an affordable-housing complex for older adults in East Harlem.

She wiggled her shoulders and threw up her arms when she bested a trio of men playing dominoes at the complexs recreation center. "You play good! Oh, my God," one of the men exclaimed. "I'm taking dominoes to the White House!" a swaggering Mrs. Clinton replied.

Mrs. Clinton has performed especially strongly with African-American voters, a demographic that was largely missing from the recent contests that Mr. Sanders won but is a force in New York.

Mrs. Clinton spoke at three black churches in Brooklyn one Sunday, beginning her remarks with the same refrain: "This is the day the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it."

She squeezed in among Bangladeshi and Pakistani voters at the Jackson Diner in Queens, met with Mexican carwash employees who had recently gone on strike, and eyed a heaping slice of strawberry cheesecake at Juniors in Brooklyn. "I learned early on not to eat in front of all of you," she told reporters. "I'm sitting here just pining. Pining for a bite!"

By Monday, Mrs. Clinton, sensing that her lead in the polls had solidified, exuded the confidence to risk an unflattering food photo, and ate.

"I was going to take it to go, but it was, like, in front of me and I had to start eating it," she said as she dug into the Victory sundae.

Aides say New York, and Mrs. Clintons record, relationship and ease with voters here, can serve as a blueprint for what they hope to show the rest of the country in subsequent primaries and the general election. The campaign ran a dozen ads in New York, more than in any state since New Hampshire. Many of them celebrated the city's diversity and took aim at the leading Republican candidate, Donald J. Trump, for his comments about immigrants, Muslims and women.

There have been mishaps in Mrs. Clintons coming-home tour. It took five swipes of a MetroCard before she got through a turnstile to get the No. 4 train in the Bronx, and she took part in a racially tinged skit with Mayor Bill de Blasio.

But after Mrs. Clinton voted on Tuesday at Douglas G. Grafflin Elementary School in Chappaqua, where she first saw her name on the ballot in 2000, the scattered rain that had been falling just minutes before had stopped. The clouds had parted.

"I love New York," Mrs. Clinton said, squinting in the bright primary-day sun.

Don't underestimate how much pull the Vatican and the IHS Jesuit Order in particular (which is a secular order by the way, with a military ierarchy, not a strictly religious order at all) have over American politics. There's a history of constant interference, and not just with US politics of course. This was a pre arranged meeting

The PR facade of casualness/fake humility surrounding this Pope is just another ugly mask, PR counter damage to the awful mess made by the previous one, in an age where communication is fast and everything and everyone are interconnected, the latest stunt from an Institution/State that has been calling the shots, politically speaking for over 2000 years now, long before it was called The Vatican

Henry VIII?

Oh, you mean like Obama and every Democrat in Congress that passed Dodd-Frank? Obama received more Wall Street money in 2008 than any other candidate in history (up to that point). It did not impact his decision making.

Millionaires and billionaires give lots of money to every one in the Democratic Party...even Elizabeth Warren when she ran for Senate.

I really don't know why Hillary gets singled out. Y'all got some double standards up in this piece.

I know. Strange huh?

Hilary seems like she represents the good things about America.

Trump seems like he represents all of the evil things within America.

Hilary just seems to have her shit together and while she's definitely a politician she doesn't seem to be playing games.

I do have to say during the last debate Bernie had a TERRIBLE moment when he was asked to name one thing that Hillary was influenced on by taking money from millionaires and billionaires and he couldn't come up with a thing.

I mean I am sure there is SOMETHING, but the fact that he couldn't come up with anything was for me probably his worst moment of this campaign since that has been his biggest charge against Hillary and when you are put on the spot about the biggest charge against the person you are running against you with out doubt should be more then ready to unload with evidence to back that charge.

Hilary seems like she represents the good things about America.

Trump seems like he represents all of the evil things within America.

Hilary just seems to have her shit together and while she's definitely a politician she doesn't seem to be playing games.

LOL.

Yes HIllary is full of shit like most politicians however there's something about Bernie that I don't trust. Something about him doesn't sit well with me..........maybe it's that creepy grin that is always glued to his face. I don't know.

It's gonna be down to choosing the lesser of two evils.....Hillary or Trump. And I'm definitely siding with Hillary. All the way.

I really believe Hillary has the potential to be an amazing President. The woman whether you like her or not is bright as hell and has been around long enough to know how "the game" is played, but I do think a big part of this will be the left holding her feet to the fire making sure she comes through on campaign promises or at least busts her ass trying to get these promises passed depending on the make up of Congress. Obama has done a lot of good and has laid a good foundation in my opinion in many areas for the next democratic President to build on if done right.

Or we could totally screw it up as a nation and elect a republican and have that foundation be torn to shreds and shit on.

I also don't understand how anyone could hate Bernie. The man if you look at his history has been one of the most consistent politicians I have ever seen when it comes to his stance on income inequality and human rights and being on the right side of history on virtually all of it.

Guest Mauro

Hillary is leading in 4/5 primaries this coming tuesday. The big 2 PA & Maryland by over 20pts. She will be over 2000 in delegates and well on her way to the nomination.

it was fun :)

Not really.

It's funny. I remember 8 years ago when she lost many including me saying she wouldn't run again after Obama was done because she would be "too old" but now I look at her and don't see her as being old at all. Maybe that's simply because I am 8 years older. :lol:

Guest Mauro

You should take into consideration the ages of the other contenders, that goes for both sides. Some candidates are older than she is, like Trump for instance, not to mention Bernie Sanders (74!).

i remember when Obama was running against her, some people were saying: oh I want hillary to win this now and then Obama can run in 8 years, because if he wins now she will be too old in 8 years but Obama wouldnt be too old.

stupid argument on EVERY level.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/24/politics/ted-cruz-john-kasich-join-forces-to-stop-donald-trump/index.html

Ted Cruz, John Kasich join forces to stop Donald Trump

By David Mark and Dan Berman, CNN

Updated 11:35 PM ET, Sun April 24, 2016

160329230627-cruz-trump-kasich-t1-image-

Strategy is aimed at blocking Trump from gaining the 1,237 delegates necessary to claim to GOP nomination

(CNN) Ted Cruz and John Kasich are joining forces in a last-ditch effort to deny Donald Trump the Republican presidential nomination.

Within minutes of each other, the pair issued statements saying they will divide their efforts in upcoming contests with Cruz focusing on Indiana and Kasich devoting his efforts to Oregon and New Mexico. The strategy is aimed at blocking Trump from gaining the 1,237 delegates necessary to claim to GOP nomination this summer.

The extraordinary moves reflect the national strength Trump has shown and the inability of Republicans who oppose the New York billionaire to come together to stop him. Dividing up some of the remaining primary states by putting forward one strong option to Trump in each could be enough to take away delegates and curb Trump's run to the nomination.

Trump is the only candidate who can realistically get a first-ballot victory -- there's no mathematical path for Cruz or Kasich to clinch the nomination heading into the convention.

Cruz campaign manager Jeff Roe said in a statement the Texas senator will focus on the May 3 Indiana primary. He called Trump at top of the GOP ticket "a sure disaster."

He added: "To ensure that we nominate a Republican who can unify the Republican Party and win in November, our campaign will focus its time and resources in Indiana and in turn clear the path for Gov. Kasich to compete in Oregon and New Mexico."

Kasich's chief strategist, John Weaver, said in a separate statement: "Due to the fact that the Indiana primary is winner-take-all statewide and by congressional district, keeping Trump from winning a plurality in Indiana is critical to keeping him under 1,237 bound delegates before Cleveland. We are very comfortable with our delegate position in Indiana already, and given the current dynamics of the primary there, we will shift our campaign's resources West and give the Cruz campaign a clear path in Indiana."

Trump social media director Dan Scavino immediately blasted the deal on Twitter. "Two losing politicians-mathematically eliminated from receiving the nomination-trying something NEW! They will FAIL!" he tweeted. Scavino later tweeted, "Two losing candidates joining in an attempt to stop @realDonaldTrump. Americans are so tired of you POLITICIANS!!!"

Sunday's move is also what many in the GOP have urged on for a while -- a combined "Never Trump" strategy. Both campaigns have each sought to be the one that denies Trump a first-ballot win at the Republican convention. Each has offered their own rationales for why GOP delegates would then turn to them as the party standard-bearer.

But these strategies by Kasich and Cruz have fallen short as Trump has proved a nearly unstoppable force in the Republican primary season. Kasich has won only his home state of Ohio, more than a month ago, and is far back in the delegate chase.

Cruz has remained a steady second behind Trump, but his victories have been sporadic. His initial strategy to sweep the South with heavy support for evangelical voters fell flat. Cruz has in recent contests focused more on the delegate game, picking off support in individual congressional districts even as he lost statewide in several places.

The two statements were the only public comments Sunday night from the campaigns, and notably only refer to three states -- Indiana, New Mexico and Oregon. California, with its treasure trove of delegates, Nebraska and West Virginia are among the states not included.

As Trump continues to lead, and especially following his romp in New York last week and expected victories in northeastern states this week, tensions have been mounting, especially for Cruz.

According to CNN estimates, Cruz would have to win every available delegate to reach 1,237 on the first ballot, a virtual impossibility.

Cruz has consistently called for Kasich to move aside, touting the fact that only he and Trump have won multiple states and have a way to secure the delegates needed.

"The primary has done the job it's supposed to do, it has narrowed the field. As we stand here today, there are two people with any plausible path whatsoever to the nomination, me and Donald Trump," Cruz said Sunday in Terre Haute, Indiana.

An audience member then shouted out, "John Kasich."

Cruz's response: "As I said, plausible path."

As an outsider there are things I like about Hillary and Bernie .

What irritates the fuck out of me is democrats infighting like if you support Hillary you are gonna get verbal abuse from Susan Sarandon or Michael stipe who I have had to unfollow. Mainly for that but also for that horrid beard and nose ring (Stipe not Sarandon )

All I can say is as long as it isn't Trump.

Although that would be perversely interesting as he is clearly clueless. And also the younger Trump son with that gelled back hair like a reject from the school in Cruel Intentions. Very irritating.

I'm rambling but you get the gist.